(shouting)

AZCT Boss Discussion

... zelda
Nimono

AZCT Boss Discussion

Post by Nimono »

Okay, since we're nearing the end of the project, we need to discuss something very important:

The bosses.

We need to sit down and come up with a plan for the bosses in the game, ASAP, so we're not just creating things on a whim and then struggling to find a place for them so they don't go to waste. We especially need to decide on how the final boss will be, since none of us have a clue about that.

So, to begin with, what bosses do we currently have set in stone, and which ones still need to be done?
Moosh

Re: AZCT Boss Discussion

Post by Moosh »

Hey, I decided to show up today and you guys are talking bosses. What convenient timing.

Not sure if you guys found a new scripter while I was off putting sticks of butter in my ear and saying, "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU," but I could do a boss or two.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Can you get me an Arrow-vulnerable Patra that has two Gohmas orbiting it instead of those eight fly things?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Patras can't really be edited too much as far as I know. I made something a few months ago to address this.

http://pastebin.com/9grJPPqV

Doesn't require ghost.zh, as it's not a ghosted enemy. If this is impossible to figure out let me know and I'll make a little demo quest of it in action.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

Oh, Moosh, I was looking for you on Skype. Do you still have
that Demo boss
kicking around?

BOSS RUNDOWN
Major Importance
Level 5 (unless CodeGorilla gets in touch with me, this is going to be a Thwompthing who wears many hats)
Level 6 (I assume raekuul has something planned)
The Maintainer fight (Is this still a thing, Shemp?)
Final boss

Minor Importance
Hookshot minidungeon (has no boss, but works with no boss IMO)
Level 4 (uses Manhandla but I am still pushing for something cooler)
Shemp's three Golden Monsters on the overworld
Level 8 (uses BS Patras, which I intend to give custom lightning attacks if there's time)
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Nabe wrote:The Maintainer fight (Is this still a thing, Shemp?)
I have no clue what the plot is. All the plot thread is kicking around currently are a bunch of mutually exclusive modifications to the original plot that all seem fairly popular individually. I'm working on a modification of the original that would suggest the entire thing is a dream or maybe not, but I would assume that the gods structure remains. If it does, and if we use the gods as I envisaged them, I would suggest the following concepts. I'm bad at boss design and art, so see what you can come up with. I have no idea how much of this is feasible.

Maintainer
Appearance
Another humanoid, smaller than the other two, but still larger than a normal human. The Maintainer is composed entirely out of straight lines and regular shapes - similar to a Minecraft person, for example, but with joints in its limbs like a normal person. Or kind of like a normal person, at least, because the Maintainer's joints aren't one-directional like a person's, but bend 360 degrees in all directions. The Maintainer also lacks a face or any sort of detail: it wears no clothes, but has no genitals of any kind anyway, like a Barbie/Ken doll, and its skin is a uniform shade of grey. When Sheath breaks it, it collapses to a small grey cube.

Attack Ideas
I think the most visually effective way for it to attack and emphasise its lack of humanity would be to attack with its arms, but have its arms bend in unnatural directions as it does so. For instance it could stretch its arms out, as in actually make them longer as if they're collapsible, then spin the forearms around in circles, with a 360 rotation of the elbow joint. Another creepy attack would be to stretch the neck out and down so that the head is below the body, then sweep the neck across the screen in a swiping attack.

For the vulnerable phase, it could stop attacking and open its body like a door(resting?). Attack the opening to hurt it.

Destroyer
Appearance
When it reveals its true form at the end, it is, like the Creator, a very large humanoid being, but this time made entirely out of fire, except for burning coals for eyes. When Sheath breaks it, it reverts to a piece of continually smouldering coal.

Attack Ideas
The SHMUP-type boss that was being worked on could be repurposed as the Destroyer. Just make it fling various patterns of fire around the room.

I'd suggest shooting at its coal eyes with arrows to hurt it.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

If it's too much trouble, I can squeak by with just setting it to be vulnerable to all the ranged weapons (If you're asking why, gravity) and finding some way for it to be anti-gravity.
Moosh

Post by Moosh »

Nabe wrote:Oh, Moosh, I was looking for you on Skype. Do you still have
that Demo boss
kicking around?
If we're going to be making it a bonus boss or something, it could use some rebalancing IMO.
Lejes

Post by Lejes »

The script I posted adjusts the positions of the orbiters every frame, so they should ignore gravity (and sideview state in general). The central bit can be made type "Other (floating)" so it won't fall down in sideview.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mf2fi ... t_test.qst

Here's a quick mockup I made (go down the stairway in the first room and ignore everything else). Is that close to what you wanted, raekuul?
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Something like that as an optional true final boss would be awesome. Maybe even harder. :P I mean seriously guys look at this, it's really awesome and I didn't know that you could code such amazing bosses for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xgn6fi7Hk
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Wow how did I miss this post?

Lejes: I love it; it's just shooting a little too frequently at the moment. Also note to self, add an arrow dispenser to the room.

EDIT: Wait, Isle of Rebirth was finished? When?
Lejes

Post by Lejes »

Isle of Rebirth was finished in February 2014.

About the Gohmas' firing rate: unfortunately not a lot can be done about that. The Zelda 1 bosses tend to be stuck as they are, with few editable properties. Gohma's firing rate is one of the things you can't change.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Hmm... then what I'll do is throw a Gohma at the player earlier on in order to get them used to the firing rate.