(shouting)

AZCT - Shoe's Zone (Hammer dungeon)

... zelda
Moosh

AZCT - Shoe's Zone (Hammer dungeon)

Post by Moosh »

Oh boy! Doctor Shemp is going to kill me for this...

Description: This dungeon is a collaboration between Nabe and me. As I'm sure you've all noticed, the name and theme of the dungeon is a reference to the infamous Shoe Zone level from ASMBXT. Within you can expect to see all sorts of hazards related and unrelated to shoes. Also expect cobbling puns because anything with "cobble" in it is instantly hilarious.

Lore: Any of this may be subject to change because we didn't actually go into an in depth discussion on the dungeon's backstory: Shoe's Zone was once the house of a humble cobbler, but one day he was visited by a vengeful shoe god who went by the name Shoe. Shoe locked up the cobbler, stole his house, hid away his Sacred Cobbler's Hammer, and repurposed the basement of the house as a factory for the production of his demonic shoespawn. Also the place is being partially swallowed by a dimensional rift. Fun.

Screenshots:

Music: For the dungeon music, if possible, I'd like two near identical songs with the second one being slightly screwed up (repeating notes or sections, sudden skips, occasional random notes/noise) for use during the sections of the dungeon being swallowed by the cutoff void.

Current status:
  • Room construction: 10% done
  • Enemy placement: laughinggirls.jpg%
  • Scripts: 70%
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: AZCT - Shoe's Zone (Hammer dungeon)

Post by KobaBeach »

Experiment 113 owns a stage in a Sonic game now?

Lookin' great though, nice job! Good luck on the dungeon!
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
kil3

Post by kil3 »

I have no idea what's going on with this hack but the idea behind this dungeon is freakin genius and it looks amazing.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

That dungeon looks like it's going to be awesome.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

This is blatantly the best terrible thing that could happen to this hack
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Well if you can make it so that it doesn't need people to actually know about Shoe Zone for it to work, then okay.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

how wouldn't it work, anyways.
There's not much you miss from not knowing about Shoe Zone.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Did you have a rough idea of what you wanted the music to sound like pre-glitches?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

Shemp darling -- rhythmic and plodding, deliberate. Hearing it might bring to mind footsteps, or a hammer coming down repeatedly. Think of a factory, but with a slight touch of sweetness, like the subtle, almost unexpected sweetness of a bite of peach cobbler. Sneaks up on you.

And then for the second track, the cobbler goes sour :P

Good luck making sense out of this! :lol:

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
Moosh

Post by Moosh »

I like it. It has that rhythmic factory feel without coming off as taking itself too seriously. Sounds perfect for the realm of an angry shoegod.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Yeah, Shemp, this is perfect. Your hatred for footwear zones hasn't dulled your talent at all :D I like that it just keeps going, never getting extremely melodic or thematic -- it echoes the menial work of the factory minions, steadily working away at a demonic-capitalistic perversion of the original Cobbler's proud workmanship.

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

beep boop shoes are invading your dropbox

Don't mind the weirdo aesthetic issues with some layers, they are in the process of being ironed out. The layers should all look perfect now, so yell at me if they don't.

If you've played the dungeon prior to this edit (I don't think anyone has yet) you'll be happy to know that I've made a number of small tweaks that make the second half more fun and less ridiculous! It's beatable with 7 hearts, Sword 1, Shield 1 and without any defensive rings... but please don't torture yourself.

jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Well... that was certainly an experience.

Detailed report incoming soon, just after I beat the sidescrolling area...
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

The return of the review: now less deaths per minutes! There are things I didn't really expect.

The bugs and interesting experiences listing report time:
May not be properly displayed, but whenever falling in the lava on the bottom two rooms of that area, the screen scrolls down to a black room before warping the player back.

The second most evil room: the timing of the platforms is just right if you're fast enough to get to the ladder, otherwise it's a waiting game at where Link is. More details of the spikes later.

The most evil room, and the most buggy: That two tile-wide platform really needs precision and great timing to not get harm by those spikes. The spikes however, don't always harm half of the time. Also, the horizontal ladder is really iffy if you're grabbing onto it or not.

Hardest key to get in this dungeon. Luckily there are extra keys in this dungeon.

I'm not sure those spikes and tile belong there, and it's not part of the "other side" either.

So, imagine that it's the first time in this dungeon and the 3 digit in the arrow count is not there. Besides that near the entrance that there's a shop for arrows, I don't see anyway to get through that, making the arrow-lacking player stuck.

I do like that there are alternative paths in this dungeon, example being that room above.

Also liking that you can avoid getting hit by those statue beams by being fast enough to hammer all those Kuribo(I think) shoes.

Funny little guy. What's not so funny is there is a small graphical glitch with this specific enemy whenever it is moving to the right.

The moment that the dungeon takes a turn for the weird.

Beside the shoe agreeing with me, the sword beams whenever moving to the side are... on it's side.

Cute little couple.

Due to auto moving while scrolling within dungeons, unless I'm lucky, I automatically receive two hearts of damage whenever I enter from that spot.

After defeating that boss (which I will not spoil), someone who would not go directly to the triforce piece (or warp) would find their way back to the moving sands. But then again, anyone less should deserve that punishment.
Overall a really fun and interesting dungeon, especially at the second half of it.

I may need at least one more report from another peep.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Thanks! Moosh playtested but he does love his difficulty. You didn't find any bits disproportionately easy?

A lot of these reports were already fixed for the version that'll be up today. Unfortunately the sideview spikes just do not seem to work with the engine, so on my polish pass I'll write a script fix as well as something to make horizontal ladders more continuous.
So, imagine that it's the first time in this dungeon and the 3 digit in the arrow count is not there. Besides that near the entrance that there's a shop for arrows, I don't see anyway to get through that, making the arrow-lacking player stuck.
There is in fact another path to get through, and that you didn't see it makes me happy because I was sure it was obvious. There's a devious jump in the room below, sponsored by layers. But that's not meant to be the zero-arrow solution, just a fun shortcut, so I'll put a small arrow drop somewhere on the first few screens.
I'm not sure those spikes and tile belong there, and it's not part of the "other side" either.
That's meant to be a window to the area below. But if that doesn't come across immediately, better that it's removed.
Funny little guy. What's not so funny is there is a small graphical glitch with this specific enemy whenever it is moving to the right.
I haven't encountered a graphical glitch here AFAIK. What does it look like? Fixed.
Beside the shoe agreeing with me, the sword beams whenever moving to the side are... on it's side.
Yeah, and unfortunately they're also swords! :D They're the only type of beam in the engine that spawns quickly enough to work out of the box as a temporary solution until I make something custom.
After defeating that boss (which I will not spoil), someone who would not go directly to the triforce piece (or warp) would find their way back to the moving sands. But then again, anyone less should deserve that punishment.
I'm not sure how you got the Triforce piece and the warp to spawn at the same time! The warp tiles should only show up if you get to that room again later and there's no Triforce in it.

I think with the "returning to the moving sands" comment you're referring to the beams shooting at you when you enter that room and potentially killing you? Let them hit you! They don't do damage, they just knock you back in adoration.

jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Nabe wrote:Thanks! Moosh playtested but he does love his difficulty. You didn't find any bits disproportionately easy?
It would take great timing and skill for this to be easy, but for the first time playing it blind, the difficulty's appropriate.
Nabe wrote:There is in fact another path to get through, and that you didn't see it makes me happy because I was sure it was obvious. There's a devious jump in the room below, sponsored by layers. But that's not meant to be the zero-arrow solution, just a fun shortcut, so I'll put a small arrow drop somewhere on the first few screens.
... I do remember that path now: I just assume that without the hammer and a few arrows the dungeon would be unbeatable, and as a result totally ignored that path after a few lives.
Nabe wrote:That's meant to be a window to the area below. But if that doesn't come across immediately, better that it's removed.
It was confusing at first, mainly due to how the lava moved. A bit of a graphical layering to have some sort of border or something else would make it less "outstanding".
Nabe wrote:Yeah, and unfortunately they're also swords! :D They're the only type of beam in the engine that spawns quickly enough to work out of the box as a temporary solution until I make something custom.
I somehow forgot, but I was thinking of replacing the sword beams with a spinning shockwave, visually similar to a boomerang, except having a rainbow flashing effect and mainly two colors per frame. If you can make it work, then great.
Nabe wrote:I'm not sure how you got the Triforce piece and the warp to spawn at the same time! The warp tiles should only show up if you get to that room again later and there's no Triforce in it.
I'd say warp because I had to replay the dungeon a couple of times to test a few things and get some screenshots, and the above happened.
Not sure that this is appropriate now, but is there a reason why there are empty rooms that the map is otherwise telling is there?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

When the project gets closer to completion I'll fill the empty rooms with small goodies, or clues about other areas of AZCT like in Zelda 1.

jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

There's... something iffy with the latest version of the dungeon.
Here's one example:
zelda064.png
zelda064.png (5.16 KiB) Viewed 8484 times
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Thanks. I had imported the global script from the Overworld file but hadn't loaded it into the script slot. All's well in the latest upload.

What do you think of the player sprites?

jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

It's alright, but there's some minor corrections that I need to do with Sheath. Have you been able to use the "talkhaus shield" spritesheet I uploaded?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

I adapted those sprites for the first shield; those are on tile page 136 in the Shoe's Zone qst. I also made a concept for the third shield on tile page 138, in line with "Luna's Chariot" where the player acquires it.