Post by KobaBeach »

IT'S DONE MAYBE
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c32bv ... tbutts.rar
LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND ANY BUGS

the joke is that alexander put topic while pheonix put thread
The Nimbus Monastery, everyone!
[attachment=0]zelda001.png[/attachment]
Progress = 10%?

This dungeon is my crash course into Zelda Classic, so its level design is probably going to be pretty sucky. Yeah.

It's supposed to be themed around the sky which is why the palette is silver and sky blue, in case Shemp wants to get started with the music.

So far I've been using a MIDI of Memories of Puyo Puyo/the Password theme from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine as a placeholder. They're the exact same song, except for instrumentation and this part, which MBM's password theme lacks (sadly). Shemp finished the BGM! Thanks guy!

Also, have a cool remix of Memories of Puyo Puyo from that Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari rhythm game on the Dreamcast, Puyo Puyo DA! the exclamation point is part of the title, kinda like Gimmick! on the NES.

And another one from some remix album or whatever.
Last edited by KobaBeach 10 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Re: AZCT - Hover Boots Dungeon Thropic

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

I really like the 'stone and blue stuff' look of that screenshot there. Keep at it/good work/you can do it/good luck/generic encouraging phrase!
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Well, I can write something in the style of the music you just posted, or I can do something more "sky-like" (slower and less rhythmic) or if you're big on the "Monastery" part of "Nimbus Monastery" I can write something very choral and Renaissance-like. That's not as clear written down as I thought it would be, so here's an extremely short demo of what I mean by the latter example (just the notes, no volume changes or effects): http://www.filedropper.com/choirtest Obviously that's just one phrase and the real version would be a whole track. Or I could just go for one of the other two options. Your call.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Well, I can write something in the style of the music you just posted, or I can do something more "sky-like" (slower and less rhythmic) or if you're big on the "Monastery" part of "Nimbus Monastery" I can write something very choral and Renaissance-like.
I was thinking something along the lines of "The Stone Like meets Memories of Puyo Puyo"? Would that fit a sky dungeon?
Image Image
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

How about this?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Doctor Shemp wrote:How about this?
I love you, Shemp.
platonically
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Little update thing. It's somewhat 50% finished, I think.

I just have to make an obligatory 2D section, make the second half of the dungeon (and somehow make it center around the hover boots) and figure out how to make it so that certain items (like keys and such) spawn after all the enemies die.

The midboss is going to be the red Manhandla (the one with eight venus flytrap head things instead of four), if only because Manhandla looks really freaking stupid. And kinda adorable, somehow.

The layout is rather easy-mediumish but eh, I tried.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Evening. Just putting this back in its proper place.
Link removed due to me updating stuffs in the dungeon~

I was thinking of redoing the 2D section since it's pretty subpar, but I'm scared of my delays messing with the project and all that.

I might redo it if you guys aren't in a rush to finish the first eight dungeons (and then start the final dungeon).

Fun fact: Did you know that some of the side-scroll graphics are from an NES and MSX game called Legacy of the Wizard, known in Japan as Dragon Slayer IV: DraSle Family? (their surname isn't actually DraSle/Dorasure, it's Worzen)

Fun fact #2: Did you know that game was done by Nihon Falcom (Ys, Legend of Heroes/Trails, Xanadu, Sorcerian, and so on)? And that it was ported to the NES by Quintet (ActRaiser, Robotrek, Terranigma, Granstream Saga), who spun off from Falcom?
Last edited by KobaBeach 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

KobaBeach wrote: I was thinking of redoing the 2D section since it's pretty subpar, but I'm scared of my delays messing with the project and all that.
The final dungeon will most likely take a while to complete anyway, so feel free to make your modifications!
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Riolu180 wrote:
KobaBeach wrote: I was thinking of redoing the 2D section since it's pretty subpar, but I'm scared of my delays messing with the project and all that.
The final dungeon will most likely take a while to complete anyway, so feel free to make your modifications!
I agree: Take time to polish up your dungeon.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

~A SMALL UPDATE!!~
The majority of the 2D section's new layout is finished. Just a few screens left to finish!

As an extra, I also went and added a little altar-type thing to the Triforce piece/Creator piece room and added HP to the BS Patras, as well as another eye circle (the edit menu gave me the option to, so I thought, "why not?"). And it shoots stuff now. Just so it's more boss-like than enemy-like.

I haven't tested any of this yet, so changes are very likely to happen, ehehe~.
Image Image
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Good to know. Someone is actually updating stuff, unlike a certain someone:
me.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

jayScribble wrote:Good to know. Someone is actually updating stuff, unlike a certain someone:
me.
If it makes you feel better, I've been procrastinating my butt off up until today. ( ºwº)
I kinda wonder where AlexanderXCIII and Nabe vanished to. ( º~º)
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

OH MY GOD I HAD A DUNGEON TO WORK ON WHAT

I stopped procrastinating and finished the new layout of the 2D section.

Just need to add enemies and stuff and then I'm releasing it for testing and stuff :T

and stuff
Image Image
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Excellent! I look forward to seeing your changes!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

IT IS OVER

THE DEED IS DONE

I HAVE FINISHED THIS ABOMINATION OF LEVEL DESIGN (MAYBE)

YOU BROUGHT THIS UPON YOURSELVES
(let me know if I screwed up anything!!!!!!)

(I also included the .nsf file since it didn't play last time I uploaded the dungeon here)

(didn't have the time to test this because I have tutoring like in a few minutes so yeah i guess)
Image Image
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

The way it's set up now it's impossible to get any bombs (as far as I can see) and you can get arrows but never use them. I've fixed up these problems for you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01iZT ... sp=sharing

I haven't played that far into it but I think the Lvl 3 Stalfos are a bit much. It's kind of straightforward to block all their shots with your shield but if you goof up or one flanks you that's 6 hearts gone just like that, and without any potions that's a virtual game over unless you happen to strike a fairy soon after.
KingTwelveSixteen

Stuff!
The end of time? Dramatic.

You have the entrance set so that link walks downwards when he comes into the first room, instead of upwards.

Hm, this is the sky level, and the enemies are falling from the sky?
Nice. :)

Map error: the connection between one-left of the entrance and one-left one-down isn't there.

Mummies are chumps.

Hm. Another map error. shows a one-way path or something from the mummy room to the one to the right.
Are these actual errors? I am thinking they might maybe mean something or something...

Hm. The key room with the two hoppy guys is really easy. Hoppy guys are pathetic at this level. Also the key room has another map error connecting to the room below.

Suddenly, a boss monster!
Not TOO dangerous though.
Kinda makes me wonder why some of the kill-rooms have stuff like mummies and junk in 'em while the regular ones have tougher things.

Elite skeletons are scary. :o

Ok, I'm just gonna ignore the mapping errors for now, since I don't really know what's going on with those.

It occurs to me that this dungeon encourages the player to have the feather on at all times.

Boss-fight key room!

Hm. This dungeon has been pretty linear so far. No secrets that I've found, even with bombing the walls that look suspicious.

I like the curvey kill-room here. Not so much the enemy choice as just the fact that it's curvy.

Yikes, red-floor place is dangerous looking, with dangerous enemies.
Or at least it feels that way after the first red-floor room.

Ow! I died in the orange room above the red one. :(
I like the tile mosaics on the floor thing though.

Oh, you have to beat all the fighting rooms aga-
Oh, I'm dead.
Those elite skeletons are really dangerous.

Eat boomerang elite skeletons!
Boomerang is their weakness.

So it turns out boomerang is everything's weakness. At least with this powerful of a boomerang.

Woah what?! Boomerang deflects projectiles and they bounce back and kill things?!
Did that actually happen? I didn't know it did that!

Aw, purple sun mosiac? That's just a poor copy of the orange-sun. :(

Another boss fight! This one is a total chump if you know his weakness.
(it's bombs)

The heck? Why does my B item go to hook-shot when I go up or down stairs?
Also the staircase here doesn't work right when going up it, Link appears one to the left of the staircase then is forcefully moved down a space.

Also this room has a map error that makes it look like there is a bombable wall to the south. I know I said I wasn't mentioning map errors anymore, but I like secrets. :(

Wait...now when I go up the stairs I get set to feather again?
I do not understand this. This stuff happened when I was testing the overworld to.

Also going down the stairs makes you appear half-way down them instead of near the top.

Oh gosh what. :o That was an exploding octorok? That's mean. It just fell right near me and I killed it then died immediately when it asploded.

P.S. I like the side-scrolling's background stuff with the pillars and curtains and missing wall-pieces. It looks great.

Oh hey, I respawned in the side-scrolling area? and the side-scroll place is in another map entirely?
I don't think it's supposed to work like that...

Tank the hits to reach the ledge you can jump to! Wooh! I'm sequence-breaking! 8-)
Ra Ra, fight the powah! :P

The top of this ladder here looks completely out of place.
It's green. And a stone. :|

...whats with the change to the brown background? It doesn't look very nice...
Also part of this room down here: enemies that immediately fall of the ledges and thus are not dangerous at all, and a new type of block to stand on that hasn't appeared before suddenly appearing for some reason I don't understand.

And now green walls? With rocks to the left?
I like the tiny room full of spikes that is impossible to reach though.

Oooh, the green is a tree!
...Why is there a tree though? I thought this was the sky/cloud dungeon?

So, I've found a bug. At the bottom of the tree-place it is entirely possible to jump off the top of the screen at the top-right and glitch through the walls to nowheresville.
Also the jump to the first right-platform from the ladder-platform is just barely high enough to force you to scroll the screen twice going back up a screen when you do it, which is annoying. Please lower that platform by one tile.

Suddenly 3D-jumping enemies with 2D link! And also the brown background makes sense now.
Though using the brown columns for both trees and actual columns makes my brain misfire for a second on seeing the column-column one.

I like how the brown-area looks, but three repetitive rooms with weirdly 3D enemies that pose no threat is boring.
Also the enemies are chumps and no threat at all.
I'm not sure if the previous enemies were a threat or not though in this side-scrolling section. Like, after the start, I was focused on the trees and stuff like that for awhile, not the enemies. Which is good, since it really got me into the level and all.

Poo!
The grassy-ground area has a jump that is to high to make! (also jumping guy is 3D in 2D land)
How annoying, I came all these screens for nothing, and now I have to go back!
Unless...
No, I can't get the damage-boost to work here. :(

Crap. One of the jumps on the path back was to large for me.
This is what I get for sequence-breaking I guess maybe.

Wait...Is the room with the fire-octorok set to make said octorok appear randomly? Because he isn't here anymore and that's weird.

Aaaaaw. I just realized that since I can't make the jump to the top-right near the start of this place that I have to leave 2D land completely, with nothing gained for this whole journey. :(

Pffft. The two blue guys at the first room you can see the tree-top in just both fell off the bottom of the screen.
That is both a bug and also hilarious.

Crap. I can't actually climb back up the trees with my equipment. Gonna have to commit suicide to leave.

Yellow mosaic-room is weird.
I can tell it's supposed to be a thing, but not what that thing is...A sun above something?

Dang, two boomerang guys that can hit you across the screen and I'm dead.
They are even more dangerous because they are the same color as the other enemies, and thus have natural camouflage.
Also falling from the ceiling while the others spawn on the ground means you WILL notice the other enemies first, giving even better camouflage.

Oh gosh what there are octoroks that shoot bombs?
That's terrifying.
I kill those punks with arrows from across the room.

Also this room's mosaic looks a lot like glasses...perhaps lens-of-truth style glasses?!
Aaaaaaw. No secret? :( :( :(
It was even a really similar color to the lens of truth. I thought the same color until I took a closer look in fact.

Ow, the skeletons in the yellow-green-flame room killed me.

Oh no, this room with jumping guys who turn into keese are sooo dangerous. I am like, quaking in my boots or something, and definitely not rolling my eyes at their threat level. Definitely a worthy threat to lock a door with.
Definitely not doing this: :roll:

Ooh, I love the tiles in this map room.

...The heck?!
I've been everywhere already?!
But...Theres nowhere else to go! The 2D place was a dead-end!
:?: :?: :?:

Man, why does the 2D place have a different hud when you press enter to the 3D place? That's weird.

Jeez, the fire-octorok IS random.
And also likes to hang out around the spikes instead of the platforms.

...The hell? :shock:
The spikes don't hurt you as long as you are standing still and facing to the left when you touch them.
Why? :?

At the room where you first see the tree-tops: Remove the spike in the bottom right, make is more of the pillar above it.
It looks weird like it is right now.

Huh, arrows go through walls in 2D-ville.
Or at least you can fire them upwards through the gray brick tiles.

Nope.
It's not possible.
Dead-end.
I have no clue how to proceed.
I'm pretty sure I've tried every item I have as well.
Unless I somehow accidentally picked up the boss key.

I did not.
I even checked out that one bit on the red swirly-mosiac thing that looked odd, but no. Nothing affects it so no secret there.
Not even bombing every wall that vaguely looked like it could be a secret worked.

Incidentally, going back through the dungeons: the random spawn of the blue armor-enemy guys that I don't remember the name of sometimes causes one to spawn on the tiny platform with the entrance/exit on it, which makes that one really dangerous all of a sudden, and based totally on luck.
Also, if you re-enter the room with the boss that you can just jump past from the top, the boss immediately hits you.
And probably kills you.
This makes it impossible for me to leave the dungeon or even look back at those first four/five rooms again.

(EDIT: oh wait I can just reset to look at those again. But whatever.)

I now, officially give up.
:(
That was a sad ending to the test-log.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:The end of time? Dramatic.
Chrono Trigger reference.
Remember that place with Spekkio and the old guy?
Also the bucket that let you go to Lavos?

The mosaics are all Digimon references.

Also, could you explain to me how the 2D section has a dead end? I'll be waiting for your reply!

I'll be testing the dungeon later today to fix some stuff!

Thank you for all your feedback!!

(I don't really know how to fix the map errors, sorry)

That ledge was supposed to be a shortcut to the beginning of the 2D section.
(Are the trees unfitting? Should I remove them?)
Doctor Shemp wrote:The way it's set up now it's impossible to get any bombs (as far as I can see) and you can get arrows but never use them. I've fixed up these problems for you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01iZT ... sp=sharing

I haven't played that far into it but I think the Lvl 3 Stalfos are a bit much. It's kind of straightforward to block all their shots with your shield but if you goof up or one flanks you that's 6 hearts gone just like that, and without any potions that's a virtual game over unless you happen to strike a fairy soon after.
Thanks for the fix! I'll nerf some of the difficulty too.

This is my first time making a Zelda dungeon, sorry for any mistakes!

Do report back any that you find, though! Just because it's my first one, doesn't mean I shouldn't be critiqued!
Image Image
KingTwelveSixteen

KobaBeach wrote: Also, could you explain to me how the 2D section has a dead end? I'll be waiting for your reply!
Because the feather only lets you jump up two tile heights and it has three tile height jumps.

Or maybe that's some weird glitch or something?
I'm not sure how you could have not noticed that when playing through your own level...
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:I'm not sure how you could have not noticed that when playing through your own level...
I hadn't played through it yet because when I finished it, I had Physical Chemistry tutoring right after.

My apologies!!!!

Also, I was thinking of adding some block puzzles in the temple, since I didn't put any.
The only ones I made now are super simple...

The other dungeons also have block puzzles too, right?
Image Image
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Have a block puzzle if you want. They're not compulsory. Personally I prefer action in my adventures over puzzles any day. That being said my dungeon does have a token puzzle in it.

I still haven't played the dungeon through but a good thing to do (if you haven't already) is to make a linear path with a linear difficulty curve from the start to the finish and then add some branches and shortcuts. Furthermore the branches should be set up so that you can use a key from the linear path on them and thus end up a key short for the actual path, making you backtrack to another sidepath to get a key (unless you already had it). This gives the extremely convincing illusion of length and non-linearity a) without having to actually make it and b) while still giving a fairly consistent difficulty curve and c) rewarding exploration through shortcuts. It's what all the NES Zelda dungeons did.
KingTwelveSixteen

It occurred to me sometime after my testing what you were going for with the trees and stuff.

Link has climbed down from the Nimbus Monastery to the ground and is now walking along the wall of it, right?

I think the main reason why I didn't get that until afterward was the way the whole floor of the castle-wall place was spikes instead of grass, if you do something with that it will likely be more obvious.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:Link has climbed down from the Nimbus Monastery to the ground and is now walking along the wall of it, right?
Actually it's just a huge tree that happened to grow through the Monastery.

The Monastery is floating above a forest.
Image Image
KingTwelveSixteen

KobaBeach wrote:Actually it's just a huge tree that happened to grow through the Monastery.

The Monastery is floating above a forest.
Well in that case, maybe make the bottom a huge pit that falls for like 3 screens before hurting you and teleporting you back to the start of the area.

That would make it more obvious that something is breaking through the bottom of the monastery.