(shouting)

AZCT Music

... zelda
Doctor Shemp
Banned

AZCT Music

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Working on the assumption that I did get the job for doing the music for this game as no-one objected to it and there was some positive feedback for my overworld demo (link: http://youtu.be/SbdAIoA9aCA), this is the thread for music.

Basically if you have completed a dungeon (or overworld area when we get up to that) then give me its theme and character so I can get on with the music for it. Now if your level is called something like Ice Temple it's going to be fairly obvious what it is but if the name isn't so explicit then you'll have to give me some more detail.

If you haven't finished your dungeon but you have a theme and know for super sure that it's going to stay like that then that's good too.

Also I had a look at the Wiki and apparently it's possible to change some of the hardcoded sounds like Item Get and Ganon Dies and so forth. Do you want me to work on replacements for those too?

EDIT: All tracks can now be found in this Google Drive folder.
TRACKING LIST
Colour Code
Track Done
Track Awaiting Approval
Will Probably Use Global Minidungeon Track (Not Yet Set)
Not Done

Dungeon 0 - Sword "dungeon" - Wizzrobe's House
Dungeon 1 - Roc's Feather dungeon - Wyvern Cavern
Minidungeon 1 - Boomerang dungeon - name pending
Dungeon 2 - Bomb dungeon - Tar Pits
Minidungeon 2 - Wand dungeon - name pending
Dungeon 3 - Whistle dungeon - Leever's Nest
Dungeon 4 - Bow dungeon - Gargoyle's Domain

Minidungeon 3 - Quiver dungeon - name pending
Minidungeon 4 - Flipper dungeon - name pending

Dungeon 5 - Bracer Dungeon - Old Talktoun
Minidungeon 5 - Red Candle dungeon - Ghost Ship
Dungeon 6 - Hipster Glasses dungeon - name pending
Dungeon 7 - Hammer dungeon - Shoe's Zone
Dungeon 8 - Hover Boots dungeon - Nimbus Monastery

The Shrine of The Destroyer
Final Dungeon - (something) Tower
Postgame Dungeon (if any)
Last edited by Doctor Shemp 10 years ago, edited 18 times in total.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Re: AZCT Music

Post by jayScribble »

Since I'm the tester here, we need feedback from the manager of this hack to give a better judgement than mine, but I say go ahead: just give us some sound samples on what sound you think fits for each effect: we'll judge on which one sounds best and also fits for what it's for.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Moosh

Post by Moosh »

Are you able to do midi? Even if we do choose to use enhanced music, I think it would be nice to have something to fall back upon for those of us who don't want to put up with a large file size.

Or I suppose we could just use stuff from VGMusic for midi alternatives.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Moosh wrote:Are you able to do midi? Even if we do choose to use enhanced music, I think it would be nice to have something to fall back upon for those of us who don't want to put up with a large file size.

Or I suppose we could just use stuff from VGMusic for midi alternatives.
I can do MIDI fine, but currently I'm using .NSF which tends to be about half the size of .MIDI! So it would be an increase in size to switch to .MIDI, although a negligible one.
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

I really like the general style/feel of the music, but it fells kinda bare as is. Maybe use the Konami VRC6 expansion sound chip to make it sound more "full". Also, I think you should do more with the base line, even if its simple, it would really help creating movement.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

LukaRamu wrote:I really like the general style/feel of the music, but it fells kinda bare as is. Maybe use the Konami VRC6 expansion sound chip to make it sound more "full". Also, I think you should do more with the base line, even if its simple, it would really help creating movement.
I don't have much (read: any) experience with expansion chips but looking at them they seem fairly basic (except the FDS). I'll give it a shot, although personally I think they sound a bit "too full" and not really "NES-like" since not many games used it.

What I'll do is have another look at the bassline, have a go at making a VRC6 version and have a go at making a FDS version which will sound more familiar but less full. Then people can compare them. This'll probably take a few days though.

Also, TECHNICAL NOTE: .NSF files, including those with expansions, seem to load fine in the Zelda Classic editor but I haven't actually tried testing the DMaps with them in it. If someone wants to try, here's some example files (my demo track, a VRC6-using track and a FDS-using track, both of which came with Famitracker):
NSF Testing.zip
AlexanderXCIII

Post by AlexanderXCIII »

Listening to the samples you posted, I think that the FDS would be a good compromise between the plain NES and the fuller VRC6. That said, I wouldn't worry about not being "NES-like" enough, because I doubt anyone else will be.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Doctor Shemp wrote:some music
"FDS_Kevvviiinnn_-_The_Devourer's_Wrath.nsf" refuses to play in the zc music player.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

darkychao wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:some music
"FDS_Kevvviiinnn_-_The_Devourer's_Wrath.nsf" refuses to play in the zc music player.
Try shortening the name and moving it to the Zelda Classic folder.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes hello hi I do music stuff too but I have never worked with nsf format. You said you went from midi to nsf. Is there a midi available of that overworld theme? While it's nice it has a lot of room for improvement and I want to put it into my improvement room.
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

Just for looking how you did things, Dr. Shemp, could you upload the .ftm file?
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Attachment party time!

Updated version of the original (no expansion modules) with a better bassline.

Famitracker work file of the above version.

Version using the Famicom Disk System module.

Version using the Konami VRC6 expansion chip.

You can play the NSF files through Zelda Classic's player (move them into the Zelda Classic folder first or you might break Zelda Classic's character limit on files) or using an NSF player. I recommend NSFPlay. It's a small download and very user-friendly.

Blue, I don't have an exported MIDI of the track. I wrote it out in Sibelius since I like the workflow of that better but a) It's extremely barebones (just the notes with no dynamics or instrument changes or effects) b) I've changed the track since then and c) the MIDI isn't finished as I stopped as soon as I had enough to go on. Cloaytonem2 made a good-sounding MIDI of it though so you could go from that.
Last edited by Doctor Shemp 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Cloaytonem2

Post by Cloaytonem2 »

My MIDI was not exactly what he imagined the instruments to be, though. It was just my interpretation.

I also added stuff (mostly percussion) and forgot stuff (a few cymbals). It's also incomplete slightly, and I have other things to do right now than to finish it. It was half for fun, anyways.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Doctor Shemp wrote:NSFPlay
Why not just use the "Etc->Play music" function of ZQuest? That's what I use and you know if the music also works with the engine.
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

darkychao wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:NSFPlay
Why not just use the "Etc->Play music" function of ZQuest? That's what I use and you know if the music also works with the engine.
Oh yeah, that's definitely an option and it's useful for that reason. I just put NSFPlay out there as the best option if you don't want to open ZQuest. ZQuest messes up any other active windows I have when I open it so if I'm multitasking then NSFPlay is what I'd use. Just trying to be helpful.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

VRC6 versions: NSF and Famitracker file.

Personally I think the FDS version that I did is better.
darkychao

Post by darkychao »

I have several MIDIs each containing 1 instrument form a song, is there a way to composite these MIDIs into one and preserve the original files' instrument.
Blaizer

Post by Blaizer »

Overworld_FDS.nfs won't play for me... I'm using the ZQuest player on Linux.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Blaizer wrote:Overworld_FDS.nfs won't play for me... I'm using the ZQuest player on Linux.
Just checked it with ZQuest on Windows and you're right. I also tried some other FDS tracks and it doesn't work with them either. It seems FDS tracks aren't compatible with ZQuest, which is a bummer since I liked that better than the VRC6 (which does work). I'm surprised no-one picked up on this earlier.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I edited the OP to include a tracking list. Currently it's looking pretty bare at 2/14 done, so I'd remind everyone to tell me when they have a design theme/character for their dungeon and optionally a musical reference so I can get started.
darkychao wrote:I have several MIDIs each containing 1 instrument form a song, is there a way to composite these MIDIs into one and preserve the original files' instrument.
Not without a good MIDI editing program that allows importation of MIDIs, not just opening them. Unfortunately all the ones I know how to use aren't free.
Cloaytonem2

Post by Cloaytonem2 »

And the one I know how to use doesn't exist outside of being bundled with this tiny USB Keyboard for some odd reason. It's outdated as hell, why do they still bundle this
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

[b]TRACKING LIST[/b] wrote: Among others:
Untitled Dungeon (cheez8): Awaiting dungeon beta or thematic guidelines.
Untitled Dungeon (Tsurgui): Awaiting dungeon beta or thematic guidelines.
...Whoa there, will every single minidungeon get its own theme? That sounds a bit much. Personally, I kind of think having one minidungeon theme for them all would be better, maybe with one or two exceptions depending on how they are made. It seems strange to me otherwise.
I don't really get it but okay
darkychao

Post by darkychao »

Doctor Shemp wrote:I edited the OP to include a tracking list. Currently it's looking pretty bare at 2/14 done, so I'd remind everyone to tell me when they have a design theme/character for their dungeon and optionally a musical reference so I can get started.
darkychao wrote:I have several MIDIs each containing 1 instrument form a song, is there a way to composite these MIDIs into one and preserve the original files' instrument.
Not without a good MIDI editing program that allows importation of MIDIs, not just opening them. Unfortunately all the ones I know how to use aren't free.
nevermind, I got it; the MIDIs had conflicting sound channels.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

cheez8 wrote:
[b]TRACKING LIST[/b] wrote: Among others:
Untitled Dungeon (cheez8): Awaiting dungeon beta or thematic guidelines.
Untitled Dungeon (Tsurgui): Awaiting dungeon beta or thematic guidelines.
...Whoa there, will every single minidungeon get its own theme? That sounds a bit much. Personally, I kind of think having one minidungeon theme for them all would be better, maybe with one or two exceptions depending on how they are made. It seems strange to me otherwise.
I wasn't aware that they were minidungeons: I was going by the tracking sheet and there's no distinction on there. I'll wait until I see them to decide what to do. I could write a minidungeon theme or if they're similar to a normal dungeon copy that theme over.
QuietForte

Post by QuietForte »

Hey! I create music with Famitracker, and in response to a current WIP of mine, Aposke has referred me here. As he told me, I had no clue if you need / would like any help or not, but this is the WIP he said he felt would fit the hack, so I'll leave it here in case you want to give it a listen. I glanced over something about using .NSF files for the music and I am 100% capable of using .NSF files if at all interested. Thank you for the time!

https://soundcloud.com/phazonchiptunes/ ... -sword-wip
Check out my chiptune creations at:
http://soundcloud.com/phazonchiptunes