... zelda
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: AZCT - Dungeon Order

Post by KobaBeach »

Claiming number 10, as the Hover Boots would probably break some of the other dungeons.
Also if we're renaming items, can the Hover Boots be the "Bird Meat Trainers"? It sounds repulsive. And kinda Earthbound-ish.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I'll take number 5 since 6 is already taken.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Aposke wrote:Claiming Shield dungeon as dungeon number 4 now - it will be designed in a way that lets you get the last shield upgrade after you've gotten an item later in the game (preferrably the hipster glasses).
Yo, guys, are we alright with this? It would mean that one of our non-critical items will be found in a main, mandatory dungeon. Personally, I think that's perfectly fine, but I want to make sure others are okay with it before I confirm it in my not-very-official list back there.

(Also, if any dungeon-makers find that they have a problem with certain dungeon positions being unavailable, please bring it up! Right now I'm adding things to that list on a first-come-first-serve basis, but it's not permanent yet. If you want to try to work out a compromise, please do!)
Last edited by cheez8 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I don't really get it but okay
Tsurugi

Post by Tsurugi »

I think revisiting the shield dungeon for another upgrade is a really cool idea, personally, just as long as some hint is given to come back there.
AlexanderXCIII

Post by AlexanderXCIII »

As the Shield is a noncritical item, it would make sense to have it be in a side dungeon, though that doesn't preclude it being at a level 4 difficulty. With that said, I'm gonna flex my nonexistent authority over the Talkhaus to claim Level 4 for myself.
Tsurugi

Post by Tsurugi »

Actually, since it seems like it's going to be a separate "wing" anyway, what if it were a mini dungeon that's technically separate, but the entrance is right by the first shield dungeon's on the overworld?
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

AlexanderXCIII wrote:As the Shield is a noncritical item, it would make sense to have it be in a side dungeon, though that doesn't preclude it being at a level 4 difficulty. With that said, I'm gonna flex my nonexistent authority over the Talkhaus to claim Level 4 for myself.
Er, hold on a bit. I also want to see whether Aposke is okay with making a mini-dungeon or really wants to make a full-on mandatory dungeon with a boss and everything. If that's the case, we can hopefully work something else out, but until then I'm just going to be indecisive for a while I guess.

Also, I'm thinking of having the Boomerang accessible after Level 1, but maybe not somewhere you'd think to look until after Level 2 or 3. If we're going with two levels of Boomerangs, I guess I'll make the second available after Level 5.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

cheez8 wrote:
AlexanderXCIII wrote:As the Shield is a noncritical item, it would make sense to have it be in a side dungeon, though that doesn't preclude it being at a level 4 difficulty. With that said, I'm gonna flex my nonexistent authority over the Talkhaus to claim Level 4 for myself.
Er, hold on a bit. I also want to see whether Aposke is okay with making a mini-dungeon or really wants to make a full-on mandatory dungeon with a boss and everything.
You bring up a good question, actually - how are we going to handle the bosses, exactly? I guess most of them are going to have to be either re-sprited or completely newly scripted in order to fit in the ASMT-universe, so maybe we should assign that duty to seperate people as well, if needed? Cause I sure can't script a boss.

That said, I don't mind doing a minidungeon either, I guess it comes down to whether Alex wants to do a boss, and, if he doesn't, whether or not we need to script new bosses or not.
AlexanderXCIII

Post by AlexanderXCIII »

I was thinking more along the line of how the tracking sheet lists the items, and I've designed my dungeon with the item halfway through (kinda like most dungeons in the Zelda series). As of right now my dungeon has a boss, albeit one of the default bosses as a placeholder, though I've considered a scripted boss.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

AlexanderXCIII wrote:I was thinking more along the line of how the tracking sheet lists the items, and I've designed my dungeon with the item halfway through (kinda like most dungeons in the Zelda series). As of right now my dungeon has a boss, albeit one of the default bosses as a placeholder, though I've considered a scripted boss.
Well, I can see how having a noncritical item in a mandatory dungeon wouldn't make much sense, and if you're already considering a scripted boss, I don't mind giving the 4th dungeon space to you.
That said, I still want my minidungeon to only be available after or around the 4th, so I guess I'll design the entrance in a way that allows it to be opened only with the bow and arrow.
AlexanderXCIII

Post by AlexanderXCIII »

Aposke wrote: Well, I can see how having a noncritical item in a mandatory dungeon wouldn't make much sense, and if you're already considering a scripted boss, I don't mind giving the 4th dungeon space to you.
That said, I still want my minidungeon to only be available after or around the 4th, so I guess I'll design the entrance in a way that allows it to be opened only with the bow and arrow.
Works for me.
Aposke wrote: You bring up a good question, actually - how are we going to handle the bosses, exactly? I guess most of them are going to have to be either re-sprited or completely newly scripted in order to fit in the ASMT-universe, so maybe we should assign that duty to seperate people as well, if needed? Cause I sure can't script a boss.
Perhaps we should bring the bosses up in the main thread. I don't trust my ability to script a boss either.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

I'm not sure where the Whistle dungeon should go. 7 seems a bit late considering its default use, and 3 seems way too early, although I suppose since I intend to make the Whistle do some extra things depending on where it's used, it wouldn't be so bad to put it in level 3... Thoughts?
AlexanderXCIII

Post by AlexanderXCIII »

Riolu180 wrote:I'm not sure where the Whistle dungeon should go. 7 seems a bit late considering its default use, and 3 seems way too early, although I suppose since I intend to make the Whistle do some extra things depending on where it's used, it wouldn't be so bad to put it in level 3... Thoughts?
I think the whistle works fine as a level 3 item, especially if we have a large overworld that gets tedious to walk on foot.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

AlexanderXCIII wrote:
Riolu180 wrote:I'm not sure where the Whistle dungeon should go. 7 seems a bit late considering its default use, and 3 seems way too early, although I suppose since I intend to make the Whistle do some extra things depending on where it's used, it wouldn't be so bad to put it in level 3... Thoughts?
I think the whistle works fine as a level 3 item, especially if we have a large overworld that gets tedious to walk on foot.
Ah, good point, good point! Alright, I'll claim Level 3, then, for the Whistle.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Basically the only things separating a main dungeon from a mini dungeon are

1) The main dungeons also have our triforce-equivalents
2) The main dungeons' items are assumed to be had for the next main dungeons in the line.

EDIT: Wait a minute I thought Pholtos had the whistle who is this Riolu character?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

raekuul wrote: EDIT: Wait a minute I thought Pholtos had the whistle who is this Riolu character?
Eh!? I was just told what was left to grab in the main thread, and that was in the list, so I thought it was okay... I'm confused!
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

You're good, my sheets were out of date is all.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

raekuul wrote:You're good, my sheets were out of date is all.
So...am I good on the Whistle, or should I take another dungeon?
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Yes, you're good; the sheets are more to have an at-a-glance listing of who is doing what. Given that I work days and I literally stare at spreadsheets for eight hours at a time at work, I'm going to have days where I don't keep the sheets up to date.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

...So, I'm guessing it's safe to assume Dungeon 2 will have the Raft by this point? Placing it any later would make it show up in Dungeon 7 at the earliest, and since the Flippers were intended to be available quite a few dungeons after the Raft, that seems a little late (especially considering the Flippers' minidungeon was meant to be accessible after level 6 or so.)

I'm not really fond of deciding things without the right person's input like this but I don't see any other dungeon working out for the Raft, and on top of that there's only one mandatory item left unknown for the mid-game designers. This way they can know.

(As a side note, the three remaining critical items are the Bomb Bag, the Hipster Glasses, and whatever replaces the Ladder - probably the Hookshot or Hammer - and the remaining dungeons are levels 7, 8, and 9.)

(Quick note: Alternately, I guess we could replace the Raft too and have both the Hookshot and Hammer as critical items. If we did that, the Bomb Bag would probably show up in Level 2 since it's the only one out of the 4 which seems like an early-game item at all. It's just a thought though.)
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Speaking of Bombs, how early will they appear? I'd like to have some bombable walls in Level 3, but I'm not sure if Bombs will be available before then. :/
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Just wondering, have people's choice of items and dungeon design based on that locked the game into being linear or is there still some non-linearity happening?
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

Bombs in level 2 seems like the best place for them to go, considering the degree to which they're a staple item.
As for the others, I guess the hookshot could go in 7, the hammer in 8 and the glasses in 9. The hookshot's movement capabilities would end up getting pretty much nullified by the hover boots, so I'd like a good deal of space between it and the boots (unless we're doing something like gaps only the hookshot can go through, which seems kinda strange). The hammer's at the strength of the level 3 sword and makes darknuts far easier to deal with, and the glasses seem like the sort of thing that'd be best suited for some sort of revealing of some endgame stuff.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
LaularuKyrumo

Post by LaularuKyrumo »

So....

The spreadsheet seems to be slightly out of date, which is okay, I'm just not sure if there is or isn't room for another (mini)dungeon designer to hop on board. I'm cool with whatever's left, though I would definitely like to get my hands on something later-game if possible, just so I can be a prime jerkweed with dungeon design and the like. :>
"Excuse me, I should be allowed to play Kaizo of my own volition and then spend every episode complaining and asking "why did I play this???" while savescumming."