KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

Post by KobaBeach »

I'd like to make a dungeon.

I kinda want to see how working with Zelda Classic feels like.
if we're doing fangames too, can we make an asrb2t (a sonic robo blast 2 thing) after we're done with this one? it'd be the closest thing to an asmt64, ahaha
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

I'll try to make a dungeon too!
I don't really get it but okay
Cloaytonem2

Post by Cloaytonem2 »

I'll do the same thing as Vulpine. I'll do a dungeon if there's not that many people on dungeon design, but will give my place to a more experienced ZC user and maybe just be a dungeon helper or something.

I also want to help with town design if that becomes a thing.
Tsurugi

Post by Tsurugi »

I'm also going to express tentative interest in designing a dungeon. If that doesn't work out, I can probably contribute some graphics or something.
AlexanderXCIII

Post by AlexanderXCIII »

I guess I'll sign up for a dungeon, then.

P.S. What are we going to do about the overworld? I was thinking a hub town and then a region for each dungeon.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I also would like to do a dungeon.

...I can't guarantee I'll still feel that way once I figure out what exactly that entails, but it sounds like a good idea in theory, so I might as well give it a shot.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I'd like to do something.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

Pholtos wrote:I'd like to do something.
Tsurugi wrote:Shouldn't the actual number of people interested in designing dungeons be taken into account before trying to decide how to split one up between multiple designers?
The question is, are you feeling lucky, punk? is that thing a dungeon?
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Don't put my name down yet, but if we need another person for a dungeon after everyone's spoken, I can do that. Though really whatever type of creating we need I can do. Overworlds, dungeons, towns, etc.

That's just to fill in what we might need to complete the project, if we have enough people I can just help people and provide information and all that. I'm still actively working on my A2MT level so anyone following that project as well, don't worry.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I'd be quite interested in participating in this, though... well, I'm not sure how soon you're aiming to start it, but it wouldn't be likely that I would participate before the MAGL2 contest is over, at the least (hoping to also participate in that once I've dealt with some other stuff). I wouldn't mind doing part of the overworld or something though; unless there's suddenly a lot of people that start working on the overworld, in which case maybe I'd switch to dungeoning?

I dunno, I haven't even downloaded it yet so :I
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

TheVulpineHero1 wrote:The question is, are you feeling lucky, punk? is that thing a dungeon?
Depends.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

I'm fine with just being a tester, I could do it Pholtos style (AKA with videos) if people are interested in that sort of thing.
fart.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I'd be up for testing as well. I wouldn't be too great at dungeon making (although I've tried making a small dungeon in the past... but that was at least a year ago and I forget how to use ZC).
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Okay. I updated the post with a list of people who just want to help generally (as in, not dungeon making), or who are unsure about what they want to help with at this point in time.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Count me in for testing, though I need some explaining from the dungeon maker on what they wanted people to do in them. For example, "You should find a secret path one you collected this item" and so on on so fourth.
I'm already an "official" tester for another video game: guess what it is.
:It's Planetside 2: (No, that's not a face you're seeing on the left there)
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

jayScribble wrote:Count me in for testing, though I need some explaining from the dungeon maker on what they wanted people to do in them.
It's up to you but I think it's a bad idea, as optimally it should be relayed through the design rather than the designer. (People playing the released product doesn't have that luxury after all)
fart.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKoTJ4CY ... 2DB21E7DAB

Here's a guide made by a good friend of mine. It's for an older version but many things are still valid!
:)
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

We could use the script below for shops if we want!

http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52345
(Example shots in the thread) As well as an example quest file. Which are like the roms in SMW. They hold the tileset and most of your data. Note: There's a timed save feature in ZQuest that will auto save your game depending on the time set by you.

But yeah, FFC scripts are no problem for me, I can handle all of them. And there's many.
Edit: There's a Podoboo script as well.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Duker wrote:It's up to you but I think it's a bad idea, as optimally it should be relayed through the design rather than the designer. (People playing the released product doesn't have that luxury after all)
It's just something in case I get really stuck and I have a "walkthough" to fall back on, but a clear dungeon design might avert me from looking at the notes. The problem however for me at least might be how many Items I might need to use and where on one dungeon, especially in the early ones, and not everyone makes levels easy, but that's the challenge of playing a game.

On another topic: is there going to be a plot, or is there going to be a "plot" in this hack?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Final boss dude issued out a challenge - anybody who can collect all eight (or three or six or twelve or whatever) Golden Crystals and can beat him in a fight wins the hand of his daughter in marriage. Sheath, being the final boss dude's daughter, decides to win the challenge first so that she can remain a bachelorette.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

jayScribble wrote:
Duker wrote:It's up to you but I think it's a bad idea, as optimally it should be relayed through the design rather than the designer. (People playing the released product doesn't have that luxury after all)
It's just something in case I get really stuck and I have a "walkthough" to fall back on, but a clear dungeon design might avert me from looking at the notes. The problem however for me at least might be how many Items I might need to use and where on one dungeon, especially in the early ones, and not everyone makes levels easy, but that's the challenge of playing a game.
Mmm, I think Duker has the right idea. As a tester, you shouldn't only be testing whether or not the intended path through a dungeon functions properly - the designers should already be sure of that themselves. What you should be testing, and where there is much more potential for error on the designer's part, is whether the paths that you decide to take through a dungeon could potentially cause problems.
Besides, if you do get stumped in a dungeon, that could just mean there's a problem with its design! If a tester gets to a point in the dungeon where they have absolutely no idea what to do, even after 20-30 minutes of wandering around without making any progress, then the designer probably needs to make the solution clearer. If the tester can just check a walkthrough and move on, though, that problem might never be reported, and that's bad.

Basically, walkthroughs should never be necessary to beat a game, and it's up to the game's creators to ensure that. If you find yourself in a situation where you feel you need one during testing, you should let the dungeon's designer know, because it probably means there's a problem in the game design.
I don't really get it but okay
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

And now the genius of having the designers and testers being separate people manifests itself.

The designer can test to make sure that the intended path works. The tester(s) will be testing to make sure that the intended path is obvious enough.

EDIT: Can we make an AZCT Subforum? I don't want to clutter up the cartridge with AZCT planning topics

EDIT2: I've made a tracking sheet; please correct me if I made a mistake. I'll put together a list of items in a little bit. The "available for" column is more a sanity check - don't expect to have the item available if you're not listed for it. The Noncritical Dungeon Items are just that - noncritical.

EDIT3: Here's the list of items I'm feeding into the randomizer
Amulets
Arrows
Bait
Bomb Bags
Bombs
Boomerangs
Boots
Bows
Bracelets
Candles
Cane of Byrna
Din's Fire
Fairy
Farore's Wind
Flippers
Hammer
Heart Rings
Hookshots
Hover Boots
Ladders
Lens of Truth
Letter
Magic Book
Magic Rings
Nayru's Love
Potions
Quivers
Raft
Rings
Roc's Feather
Shields
Stomp Boots
Stone of Agony
Swords
Wand
Wealth Medals
Whistle
EDIT4: Whoa, nelly! Here's what I got back.
EDIT4 CONTINUED: TL;DR version of Edit 4:
Critical Dungeon Items:
Ladders
Hover Boots
Bait
Bracelets
Roc's Feather
Bomb Bags
Whistle
Bows
Amulets
Raft

Non-Critical Dungeon Items:
Bombs
Flippers
Shields
Boomerangs
Quivers

Claim your items. Roc's Feather is in Dungeon 1, everything else is up for grabs.
EDIT5: Amusing that the Bombs are listed as Noncritical, but the Bomb Bag is one of the Criticals.
Last edited by raekuul 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Wow. Nice work, raekuul! I think we should probably offer the Stomp Boots to go along with the Roc's Feather, but that doesn't have to be in a dungeon, I guess -- could be the main gimmick for the town places.

Once I'm done reading up on all of the items and what they do, I'll start thinking about stuff to claim.

(By the way, we should probably elect an official project manager at this point...)
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

oh, right. I forgot to say that I'll test
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
AlexanderXCIII

Post by AlexanderXCIII »

I'll claim the Bow (and arrows, I suppose?)