Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

Post by KobaBeach »

I'll just take a tall glass of Hover Boots, please.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
AlexanderXCIII

Post by AlexanderXCIII »

What about items not on the final list? Would dungeonmakers be allowed to use any of those? (Because I think something like the Hookshot would make for a more interesting dungeon item than the bait, for example)
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

We can decide on the other items further on down the road; the ones on the list in the Tracking Spreadsheet are the ones we're definitely putting in the game (whether as rewards or as major items to plan around). I do want to include at least the blue defense ring (and if we add magic, the first level magic-regeneration ring) as purchaseables.

Also, does anybody object to switching out the Meat with something else?
Last edited by raekuul 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I wouldn't mind making the whistle look interesting, though I've never done anything specific to graphics before. (Wait can you make them look different?)
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

any items not used in dungeons can probably be bought or otherwise obtained on the overworld if we want.
Pholtos wrote:I wouldn't mind making the whistle look interesting, though I've never done anything specific to graphics before. (Wait can you make them look different?)
yes, graphics can be edited fairly easily, actually it doesn't even have to be a whistle.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

how 'hard' can you recode items? I'm assuming some good amount, considering the flamethrower candle in one of the videos that were linked.

Like, what if the bait was used for something cool, like you throw down the bait and a critter pops up to help you for one screen.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

I guess I'll handle the ladder dungeon!

Also, how will we handle the non-critical dungeon items? Will they just be hiding in the main dungeons, even if those dungeons already have items, or will we place those in separate mini-dungeons?
I don't really get it but okay
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I personaly think mini-dungeons is the way to go.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

cheez8 wrote:I guess I'll handle the ladder dungeon!

Also, how will we handle the non-critical dungeon items? Will they just be hiding in the main dungeons, even if those dungeons already have items, or will we place those in separate mini-dungeons?
Could have a mini boss in each dungeon that gives you one of these lesser items. Just a thought. Or a secret bombable wall/room hidden in each dungeon.
Pholtos wrote:I wouldn't mind making the whistle look interesting, though I've never done anything specific to graphics before. (Wait can you make them look different?)
You can change the graphics of anything really. All of the GFX are made up of tiles in your tile pages. They could be graphic swapped or edited. It's all on multiple pages, including Links tiles. The engine kinda points to them I guess you could say.

@raocow: You can either script items from scratch or write scripts to effect them. The item editor lets you do a nice amount without scripts, but with scripts there's so many possibilities.
Moosh can elaborate on this further!

Looks like this project is going to happen. :)
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

Looks like I'm going with the Raft, then. I always did like the Water Temple in OoT.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
Moosh

Post by Moosh »

raocow wrote:how 'hard' can you recode items? I'm assuming some good amount, considering the flamethrower candle in one of the videos that were linked.

Like, what if the bait was used for something cool, like you throw down the bait and a critter pops up to help you for one screen.
That bait idea doesn't sound too particularly hard assuming the critter wouldn't interact with the screen too much. AI is not one of my strong points, sadly.

As for the question about recoding items, recoding an existing item is impossible. That candle for example was a completely new item, not a modification of the existing candle. You see, adding scripts in ZC doesn't so much change the program's code as it runs new stuff over it. Because of this we have to do some pretty crazy workarounds sometimes. Heck, some people are so ambitious with their stuff that they basically write an entirely new engine within ZC's default one.

One big problem with scripted items that we need to keep in mind is they're not too hard to make but they can sometimes interact with regular ZC features in unintended ways when you try doing complex stuff with them. Scripted items if you want their behavior to last for more than one frame require use of an FFC (AKA Freeform Combo. Think like a combo that isn't locked down onto a grid of any sort and can move freely.) script which requires the use of an FFC. Sometimes when quest designers use FFCs for non scripted purposes this is a problem. For example, a friend of mine had a patrolling guard that would do stuff if he saw you using a script. The guard was fine but his patrolling pattern was controlled by a certain type of FFC called a changer (Changers are just FFCs that are invisible and change the direction or speed of a regular FFC). Since the changers weren't carrying a script, one of his item scripts ended up picking up one of the changers and using it causing a guard to fly off the side of the screen. Another problem I've found with item scripts is putting scripted items in the subscreen. Because of how ZC's subscreens work, you can't have one item class transform into another. This caused a problem with that flamethrower item I showed in that video which was originally meant to be an upgrade to the blue candle. Because it was a scripted item, I had to make the candle a scripted item too to get it to upgrade properly.

So the answer to your question is kinda like "Yes, but..." instead of a straightforward one.

Edit: Since I guess this is officially a thing now, I feel I should link you guys to the current PureZC collab quest (PureZC has tried this kind of thing before and we don't have a very good record of finishing things haha). I admit I'm not the best leader, but I think my plan was pretty solid and so far it hasn't failed completely so there's that.
Last edited by Moosh 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Franky wrote:
cheez8 wrote:I guess I'll handle the ladder dungeon!

Could have a mini boss in each dungeon that gives you one of these lesser items. Just a thought. Or a secret bombable wall/room hidden in each dungeon.
Maybe... Though, maybe we should have some of them require other dungeon items first. At the least, we should probably do that for the Flippers (assuming they're essentially an upgraded Raft), and possibly the Quivers (which would be useless anyway until the player has a Bow.)
I don't really get it but okay
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

For the bombs, we can hide bonus stuff behind bombable walls, but don't assume that the player is carrying them until after the dungeon with the Bomb Bag (meaning don't hide anything like the dungeon item or a big key or the next key in the sequence behind a bombable wall - unless, of course, you feel like giving out bombs). For the everything else, I think minidungeons are the way to go.

AZCT Tracking Sheet - now on Google Drive! (as per Moosh's suggestion below)
Last edited by raekuul 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Moosh

Post by Moosh »

I feel it would be a good idea to use something like a Google Drive spreadsheet for that tracking sheet of yours. That way we don't have to download a new file every time you make a change and you can even give access to some other trusted fellows to help you edit it.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Go ahead and put me down as claiming the whistle for whatever purpose it may be.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

I was seriously considering participating but then I figured nah because I know nothing about Zelda Classic, or Zelda in general
Like I don't know what any of the items do or anything

So I'm gonna sit this one out, good luck and have fun to everyone else.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Frozelar wrote:I was seriously considering participating but then I figured nah because I know nothing about Zelda Classic, or Zelda in general
Like I don't know what any of the items do or anything

So I'm gonna sit this one out, good luck and have fun to everyone else.
You can easily mess with a test file to see. I'll respost that video guide. :) It's SO easy to start building and testing stuff!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKoTJ4CY ... 2DB21E7DAB
^^Video guide by a friend of mine and Moosh whom is also creating his own quest currently, to be finished this summer.

ALSO GRAB THE LATEST VERSION HERE GUYS: http://zeldaclassic.com/downloads.php
v2.50 is the recent version. You'll notice downloads for multiple Operating systems. Grab whichever your computer supports. Unzip the files into one folder and watch that playlist! ;)
Don't be intimidated.

Keep in mind his guide is for an older version but that doesn't matter right now, only when you start getting into more advanced things! By then you'll have basic knowledge.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Franky, why didn't you say you knew Evan? I'm one of the testers for his quest.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

raekuul wrote:Franky, why didn't you say you knew Evan? I'm one of the testers for his quest.
Ahh, I remember him telling me of that awhile back when I posted a link here. :P
Heh heh.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

@ 6:30 is when he starts placing tiles. You can skip there if you are eager to place and test stuff!
Or click the link below. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKoTJ4CY ... age#t=383s
Tsurugi

Post by Tsurugi »

Hm, I've got some ideas for something based around the flippers. I think I'll nab those.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I'll take the amulet now that I know what it does.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Holy hell I'm totally in for this since this is an editor that actually runs on Linux and yeah.
Just gonna casually wait in this corner for you guys to finish the planning and stuff, until we mortals can sign up for level editing.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Zylgrox: Noted

Aposke: If you're going to design a dungeon, claim an item. Once all the items are claimed, we'll figure out dungeon order.

I guess I'll claim the Roc's Feather. Let the Newbie design the beginner dungeon.

On another note, would anybody object to switching out the Bait for a different item? What item should we switch it out for? (I've seen the Hookshot suggested, and I personally would suggest the Hammer)