AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

... zelda
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

Post by raekuul »

My idea for 1 and whatever-other-number-I-have is to drop an invisible aquamentus in a sideview kill room. Straightforward and covers both gimmicks nicely. If you have better ideas please use those instead.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

CodeGorilla wrote:I could see working with 6 or 3 pretty easily, although maybe it's best to pair 6 and 8 together as the two dungeons that seem to take the most advantage of sideview screens?
You could combine 4 and 5 quite easily and do a Castlevania-ish motif. :D

My segment is probably going to be sideview, as I've got the basis for a sideview segment that never made it into 7.

raekuul wrote:My idea for 1 and whatever-other-number-I-have is to drop an invisible aquamentus in a sideview kill room. Straightforward and covers both gimmicks nicely. If you have better ideas please use those instead.
The idea for these floors is moreso to have little playable dungeon segments, so that might be a bit out-of-place on its own. Please do let us know if you want to claim 1 and 6 though, since that takes numbers out of the running for the other three dungeon floors.

On the topic of 6, also, is it functionally complete? I wanted to wait for that before I started any serious visual work.
Last edited by Nabe 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I don't have any plans to change it, so whatever you feel need to do.

As far as playable dungeon segments, the "gimmick" as it were of 1 is that... you get the feather and it's full of dragons, some of which you don't have to fight. The "gimmick" of 6 is that there's not much that's more frightening than one's own imagination (read: I didn't want to fill it full of monsters so the dungeon's fairly empty).

So just throw an invisible sideview aquamentus in somewhere and you've got 1 and 6 covered. It doesn't have to be it's own segment.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

raekuul wrote:I don't have any plans to change it, so whatever you feel need to do.

As far as playable dungeon segments, the "gimmick" as it were of 1 is that... you get the feather and it's full of dragons, some of which you don't have to fight. The "gimmick" of 6 is that there's not much that's more frightening than one's own imagination (read: I didn't want to fill it full of monsters so the dungeon's fairly empty).

So just throw an invisible sideview aquamentus in somewhere and you've got 1 and 6 covered. It doesn't have to be it's own segment.
But for the mixed floors to work, there need to be four of them. :P I could make a 1-6 floor if you like, or we could use the two numbers in other floors.

@CodeGorilla, it's looking like Nimono wants to use 3. I really do think 4 and 5 has potential to be cool, though.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Hrm... I don't know. Maybe we should just separate 1 and 6,maybe that way we can get a room full of invisible leevers or something.
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

Nabe wrote:@CodeGorilla, it's looking like Nimono wants to use 3. I really do think 4 and 5 has potential to be cool, though.
Sure. I didn't realize anyone else had responded to this yet. I'll see what I can do with four and five.
Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Post by Kukironosuke »

are you guys still working on this? im really looking forward to it O:

-uses fairy on development team-
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Kukironosuke wrote:are you guys still working on this? im really looking forward to it O:

-uses fairy on development team-
Definitely still being developed! :D

Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Absolutely still being developed! All the talk just tends to go on behind-the-scenes, so it gives the impression nothing's going on...
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Moving the final dungeon list up, we could use one more person on this still.

1. Nabe [7, _]
2. CodeGorilla [5, 4]
3. Nimono [3, 2] (I think that's right?)
4. You?!

Remaining dungeon numbers: 1, 6, 8

I think I'm looking at 8, but if someone wants it I could still happily take 1 or 6.

I haven't heard back on these, but I assume an extra week would be helpful. So let's look at September 22nd instead of tomorrow for these.

raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Feel free to take 1 and 6; I'm not in the right mindset to assist and by the time I am this'll be done.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

I...actually don't remember what the gimmicks for dungeons 1, 2, 6, and 8 are... Mind refreshing my memory, Nabe?
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

1 was "Discretion is the better part of valor", 6 was "Things aren't always what they appear" and "OMG SIDEVIEW"
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

On a basic level:

1 - Dragons / wyverns / Aquamentus / very typical Zelda 1-style dungeon
2 - Bombs / bombchus / cave / crystal walls possibly (if KTS follows the style of the overworld entrance)
6 - Darkness / hidden secret things
8 - Clouds / high places

I'm planning on doing a Mario 3 sort of thing with shoes, so I'd like 8, but could work with 1 or 2.

Nimono

Post by Nimono »

I'll definitely take 2, then. Thanks, Nabe
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Oh yeah, one thing I just remembered. The "Disable Link Marker in Minimap" option doesn't work like expected. It does EXACTLY what it says, disables it- but only in the minimap, not the Large Map. So screens that have that option marked will still have the link position marker on the large map when you pause the game. We need to fix this. Apparently, the only solution right now is to make an entirely new dmap for the sideview screens with an entirely new subscreen where the only difference from the normal one is that the large map has the link marker turned off. I know this is an extremely minor thing, but it seriously bugs me, so can we maybe perhaps please try to fix it?

...please? :(
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Nimono wrote:Oh yeah, one thing I just remembered. The "Disable Link Marker in Minimap" option doesn't work like expected. It does EXACTLY what it says, disables it- but only in the minimap, not the Large Map. So screens that have that option marked will still have the link position marker on the large map when you pause the game. We need to fix this. Apparently, the only solution right now is to make an entirely new dmap for the sideview screens with an entirely new subscreen where the only difference from the normal one is that the large map has the link marker turned off. I know this is an extremely minor thing, but it seriously bugs me, so can we maybe perhaps please try to fix it?

...please? :(
Where specifically is this an issue? Scripts can't affect the active subscreen, so if there are any screens where you don't want Link's position to appear on the map, it needs to be solved manually as you've described.

In the final there are going to be mapless subscreens for these situations as well as any caves on the overworld etc. so make sure I'm aware of any screens like that.

Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Will each floor of the final dungeon have their own level number (thus needing a new map, compass, and boss key for each floor), or will they all share the same one?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Nimono wrote:Will each floor of the final dungeon have their own level number (thus needing a new map, compass, and boss key for each floor), or will they all share the same one?
I'd been thinking that the tower would be a linear climb through unrelated floors, so if your submission has a map/compass/boss key, then I'll be sure to assign it a unique level number on import. (Although I would anyway; for isolated non-Triforce DMaps I've consistently used the DMap number as the level number for completeness.) That said, if someone planned their floor in a way that it uses the previous floor's map/compass/boss key, we'll sort out the order of the floors when they're complete to make that work.

Regarding your previous post, were you talking about the sideview segments in Level 3 and the shield mini?

Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Nabe wrote:I'd been thinking that the tower would be a linear climb through unrelated floors, so if your submission has a map/compass/boss key, then I'll be sure to assign it a unique level number on import. (Although I would anyway; for isolated non-Triforce DMaps I've consistently used the DMap number as the level number for completeness.) That said, if someone planned their floor in a way that it uses the previous floor's map/compass/boss key, we'll sort out the order of the floors when they're complete to make that work.

Regarding your previous post, were you talking about the sideview segments in Level 3 and the shield mini?
Okay, thanks! And yeah, I was. I know most people aren't bothered by it, but I am, for some reason. Especially since you'd think disabling the Link marker for one map would turn it off for the other, too... It also doesn't help how I positioned the sideview rooms in Level 3...
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

raekuul wrote:Oh man I forgot that Voldemort did my level's music. I'll comb through VGM and see if I can't find anything that I like for my stuff. I might arrange something from Darksun.
Any update on this?

raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Nabe wrote:
raekuul wrote:Oh man I forgot that Voldemort did my level's music. I'll comb through VGM and see if I can't find anything that I like for my stuff. I might arrange something from Darksun.
Any update on this?
I'm thinking something starting from Sky Tower (PMD Blue Rescue Team) as arranged by PsytroniX for Wyvern's Cavern. Still not sure what to do for Promin Cliffs.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

I seriously never view this forum. In hopes that I can push this project to completion, what has to be done?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Nin wrote:I seriously never view this forum. In hopes that I can push this project to completion, what has to be done?
I don't think there's too much else to be done, unless you want to just do a small cave segment (sideview). The big remaining stuff is boss coding, and some visual and audio stuff that I'm working on.

Have you used the engine before? If not, a handful of cave screens would not be too hard. But like, we're okay at this point otherwise. :)

Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Nabe wrote:
Nin wrote:I seriously never view this forum. In hopes that I can push this project to completion, what has to be done?
I don't think there's too much else to be done, unless you want to just do a small cave segment (sideview). The big remaining stuff is boss coding, and some visual and audio stuff that I'm working on.

Have you used the engine before? If not, a handful of cave screens would not be too hard. But like, we're okay at this point otherwise. :)
I've never created a sideview area, but I'll try my best! I'll get it done by Friday. All I ask is for a sideview tutorial if one is avaible.