(shouting)

AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

... zelda
Nimono

Re: AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

Post by Nimono »

Horikawa Otane wrote:If MaGL X2 starts in late June and ends 4 months later, do you think AZCT would be complete should raocow decide he wants to play it?
I'm not sure. If we all work hard, we might be able to make it. The main thing we'd really be struggling for is a person to script the bosses, since that's not an easy thing, and I don't know how to make something with ghost.zh. The dungeons and overworld, though... Nabe's doing the overworld, KingTwelveSixteen is working on the Bomb dungeon, and if no one else takes up the Final Dungeon, I suppose I could do that myself. After that, we'd just need the Golden Arrow minidungeon made, and some bosses to be scripted. Assuming we could get all that straightened out, we could possibly, hopefully have it all done by then.
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Do we have graphics for final boss? Or any ideas on what it would do?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

Lejes wrote:Do we have graphics for final boss? Or any ideas on what it would do?
Before the final boss, there's a Shadow Sheath fight. She'd run around using at least some of the main items, so feather, bombs, arrows, hammer, sword, maybe a throwing attack, maybe a fake whistle whirlwind that knocks you into a wall.

I'd like to revisit the possibility of using your shmup-style fight as a final boss phase, as well. The villains are probably going to be named Rhyme and Reason, so I'd make a text joke about the final boss phases having no rhyme or reason. I imagine three or four quick phases (one of which could be the shmup), followed by a longer fight with the pair. No sprites for that yet.

Alternatively, Level 4 needs a boss. I have two sprites for it, which are larger evil-looking versions of the Left and Right Statue combos. I was going to have them just mill about the boss room shooting fireballs at Link, but since it's the arrow dungeon maybe it could be an arrow-shooting shmup? Just a thought.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Are there any names for the bosses themselves yet (if we're going there?)
I was thinking of "Kris" being the name of Shadow Sheath, due to many reasons I think would make sense, like every sword needs a sheathe, the sheathe holds back the sword from doing harm, and so fourth.
Also, I'm back for testing duty since busy times are over for me for the time being. What there needs testing? If not then I'll do more sprite stuff for the enemies: I wasn't really satisfied with the last one, mainly due to that being rushed (and also introducing new enemies nobody else knows about).
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

jayScribble wrote:Are there any names for the bosses themselves yet (if we're going there?)
I was thinking of "Kris" being the name of Shadow Sheath, due to many reasons I think would make sense, like every sword needs a sheathe, the sheathe holds back the sword from doing harm, and so fourth.
Also, I'm back for testing duty since busy times are over for me for the time being. What there needs testing? If not then I'll do more sprite stuff for the enemies: I wasn't really satisfied with the last one, mainly due to that being rushed (and also introducing new enemies nobody else knows about).
Per raocow's rules, her name would have to be a verb. (Of course, Sheath is not strictly a verb, but we forgive him the letter.) I'm not sure she shows up enough to have a name other than Shadow Sheath anyway, and her appearance is meant to develop Sheath as a character, not her. That said, maybe in a post-credits thing she could give herself a name, and also reveal that she isn't dead. After all, if she's Sheath in some way, it only makes sense that she doesn't really die. That would be pretty cool.

The bosses of Levels 5 and 7 have names mentioned in dialogue. The rest don't, but it would be good to have names for them if we do enemy credits. Whether or not they need verb names depends on whether or not they're reskinned or left as Zelda enemies. Level 8's giant monkey boss probably needs a verb name.
On the subject of testing, the boomerang mini could still use it. When I update the master copy with the new overworld this week, I'll make the stairs on the ship lead to the debug room, which will have a portal in it to the second half of the boomerang dungeon, where I think you left off there. There's also the Wand mini, which is functionally complete at this point. Of course, getting more eyes on any of the dungeons would be great.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Sheath is verb enough to work, as you sheath(e) a sword when you put it away.

The bosses for 1 and 6 aren't really unique enemies at this juncture so much as vanilla enemies used in almost-vanilla ways, so unless they're being resprited entirely I don't anticipate needing new names for them.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Nabe wrote:
Per raocow's rules, her name would have to be a verb.
Her name should be Draw.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Regarding testing the Boomerang minidungeon: is the master copy uploaded yet?

Until then, I'll do the wand dungeon and report some stuff.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

jayScribble wrote:Regarding testing the Boomerang minidungeon: is the master copy uploaded yet?

Until then, I'll do the wand dungeon and report some stuff.
The latest version of the master copy has segments 2 and 3 of the boomerang minidungeon in Debug Warps 3 and 4 respectively. The signs will indicate that as well. Grab the bow and arrow as well as a shield from the debug room, and whatever else you like. The hammer is necessary to get from segment 2 to segment 3.

Worth mentioning, if you enter the overworld, most doors there aren't pointed anywhere yet and will get you stuck.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

While playing the master copy for testing the boomerang dungeon, I feel dis-satisfied with her arms in the back sprite, mainly due to it looking odd: for holding the shields it looks fine, but without it, the gap between the arms and her body just seems too much.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

jayScribble wrote:While playing the master copy for testing the boomerang dungeon, I feel dis-satisfied with her arms in the back sprite, mainly due to it looking odd: for holding the shields it looks fine, but without it, the gap between the arms and her body just seems too much.
The gap is only a pixel wide, though. The original spritesheet with no gap is still on the Dropbox (tilepage-135 in Graphics). In it, you can see that I imitated NES Link's arm movements to start with. That version doesn't work at all; it only works with Link because he's round and pudgy, which fills out the space between his body and his arms that should otherwise be there. On a thin frame, no-gap arms give the appearance that she's tucking in and doing the Twist while walking, as one stream commenter put it. :D

I prototyped a few other versions of this sprite with the 1-pixel gap as well as without it, with her arms extended in different ways, but I settled on this one because it exudes a sort of goofy determination, like she's walking with her elbows bent. I'm pretty fond of it.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Nabe wrote:
jayScribble wrote:While playing the master copy for testing the boomerang dungeon, I feel dis-satisfied with her arms in the back sprite, mainly due to it looking odd: for holding the shields it looks fine, but without it, the gap between the arms and her body just seems too much.
The gap is only a pixel wide, though. The original spritesheet with no gap is still on the Dropbox (tilepage-135 in Graphics). In it, you can see that I imitated NES Link's arm movements to start with. That version doesn't work at all; it only works with Link because he's round and pudgy, which fills out the space between his body and his arms that should otherwise be there. On a thin frame, no-gap arms give the appearance that she's tucking in and doing the Twist while walking, as one stream commenter put it. :D

I prototyped a few other versions of this sprite with the 1-pixel gap as well as without it, with her arms extended in different ways, but I settled on this one because it exudes a sort of goofy determination, like she's walking with her elbows bent. I'm pretty fond of it.
Well, it's only fair that you tried all the sprites and found what looked best. It's just for me that it looks odd, but I'll get used to it after more testing.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Finishing up visual polish on the overworld today, hopefully.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/playing-like-ass

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

MUSIC

If you haven't thought about what music you might like to use for your dungeon / minidungeon, now would be a good time to do so. I might still get around to writing an original dungeon track, but definitely not 8+ of them, so for the sake of variety let's pick some nice stuff.

File formats: MIDI is ideal, because of small filesize and because they get absorbed into .qsts. Other small files (SMC for example) are great as well. NSF is great, but please make sure the file is marked for free use, or get consent from the file's author. Please avoid MP3 unless there's a very good reason; if there's a song that's unavailable in other formats we can try to arrange an NSF mix.

Thanks to KobaBeach and FireSeraphim for choosing tracks already. :D Within the next couple weeks, I'll put recommendations up on Dropbox for anyone who hasn't picked something.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

A good source of MIDI music is http://www.vgmusic.com/. Just make sure that you credit the MIDI arranger (if there is a name next to the file).

For the other formats... That you have to find yourself (mainly because I don' know any other sources out there).
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Oh man I forgot that Voldemort did my level's music. I'll comb through VGM and see if I can't find anything that I like for my stuff. I might arrange something from Darksun.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

Nimono wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:If MaGL X2 starts in late June and ends 4 months later, do you think AZCT would be complete should raocow decide he wants to play it?
I'm not sure. If we all work hard, we might be able to make it. The main thing we'd really be struggling for is a person to script the bosses, since that's not an easy thing, and I don't know how to make something with ghost.zh. The dungeons and overworld, though... Nabe's doing the overworld, KingTwelveSixteen is working on the Bomb dungeon, and if no one else takes up the Final Dungeon, I suppose I could do that myself. After that, we'd just need the Golden Arrow minidungeon made, and some bosses to be scripted. Assuming we could get all that straightened out, we could possibly, hopefully have it all done by then.
So uh.

In spite of being a full-time software engineer, I find myself not really doing enough programming these days, and I've got an itch that needs scratching. I am willing to work on boss scripts if need be. I have some experience with ghost.zh, and I still have all the tools and reference sites bookmarked on my laptop from doing what's-his-bucket's boss fight. I can't promise that they will be A++ super polished 10-out-of-5-stars amazeballs, but they should at least be decent. And, y'know, done in time to test so that rao could play it after MaGLX2 is done.

tl;dr: I helped on this and I still wanna see this get done so I'mma try to help more.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

CodeGorilla wrote:So uh.

In spite of being a full-time software engineer, I find myself not really doing enough programming these days, and I've got an itch that needs scratching. I am willing to work on boss scripts if need be. I have some experience with ghost.zh, and I still have all the tools and reference sites bookmarked on my laptop from doing what's-his-bucket's boss fight. I can't promise that they will be A++ super polished 10-out-of-5-stars amazeballs, but they should at least be decent. And, y'know, done in time to test so that rao could play it after MaGLX2 is done.

tl;dr: I helped on this and I still wanna see this get done so I'mma try to help more.
Sure, go ahead! We need all the help we can get. To start with, the Big Leever boss for level 3 isn't exactly what I was wanting for the boss- do you think you could take a look at it, see if you can help me out with that? I can send you the details if so.
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

Nimono wrote:Sure, go ahead! We need all the help we can get. To start with, the Big Leever boss for level 3 isn't exactly what I was wanting for the boss- do you think you could take a look at it, see if you can help me out with that? I can send you the details if so.
Sounds like a fine place to start. I don't know how likely I'll be to look at this right away - this Friday I'm leaving on a 9-day vacation - but I'll look at it when I can.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

CodeGorilla wrote:Sounds like a fine place to start. I don't know how likely I'll be to look at this right away - this Friday I'm leaving on a 9-day vacation - but I'll look at it when I can.
Sure thing, I'll just send you a PM about it. Do you still have access to the AZCT dropbox?
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

Nimono wrote:Sure thing, I'll just send you a PM about it. Do you still have access to the AZCT dropbox?
I believe so, but I'll have to double-check when I get home.
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

So apparently, I stopped working on this thing before we started using the Dropbox! Would you look at that.

I have sent jayScribble a PM to fix that.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

CodeGorilla wrote:In spite of being a full-time software engineer, I find myself not really doing enough programming these days, and I've got an itch that needs scratching. I am willing to work on boss scripts if need be. I have some experience with ghost.zh, and I still have all the tools and reference sites bookmarked on my laptop from doing what's-his-bucket's boss fight. I can't promise that they will be A++ super polished 10-out-of-5-stars amazeballs, but they should at least be decent. And, y'know, done in time to test so that rao could play it after MaGLX2 is done.

Yo! Good to see you.

Pick some music for Level 5. :D

CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

Nabe wrote:
CodeGorilla wrote:In spite of being a full-time software engineer, I find myself not really doing enough programming these days, and I've got an itch that needs scratching. I am willing to work on boss scripts if need be. I have some experience with ghost.zh, and I still have all the tools and reference sites bookmarked on my laptop from doing what's-his-bucket's boss fight. I can't promise that they will be A++ super polished 10-out-of-5-stars amazeballs, but they should at least be decent. And, y'know, done in time to test so that rao could play it after MaGLX2 is done.

Yo! Good to see you.

Pick some music for Level 5. :D
Oh right, that's a thing, since what's-his-bucket also did the music for my dungeon originally.

Are we still going with the idea that it's the buried ruins of a town, possibly underneath an actually usable town?
Nimono wrote:Sure thing, I'll just send you a PM about it. Do you still have access to the AZCT dropbox?
Okay, I have access now! What would you like me to look at specifically? Tell me either here or though PM.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

CodeGorilla wrote:Are we still going with the idea that it's the buried ruins of a town, possibly underneath an actually usable town?
I think it's still under a town, but you need to ask Nabe to clarify things.