(shouting)

AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

... zelda
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Re: AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

Post by Nabe »

It's understandable, there was a ton of confusion around the item changes and Vulp leaving.

I'm sure it would benefit 100x more from having Moosh all over it.
Uh but hold that thought

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Pulling things out of my head, but who or who will designing the overworld? Another collaboration effort?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

you could divide it into areas, give those out to people and then coordinate the transitions
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

It would probably be better to at least have some idea of what should be placed where first, like "okay the main town place is going to be in this section" or "this general region will house the entrance to this one dungeon and this other dungeon which is not complete thematic nonsense to put nearby" or something. And after that maybe we could divide it into different people taking different areas, but only once we have an idea of what's where.

Basically let's just make sure the entrances to a swamp dungeon, a water temple, a sky dungeon, and a desert dungeon don't all accidentally end up within a few screens of each other.
I don't really get it but okay
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

The hammer situation has been hammered out. The Moosh/Nabe duo are cooperatively on the job.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
Neobullseye

Post by Neobullseye »

cheez8 wrote:It would probably be better to at least have some idea of what should be placed where first, like "okay the main town place is going to be in this section" or "this general region will house the entrance to this one dungeon and this other dungeon which is not complete thematic nonsense to put nearby" or something. And after that maybe we could divide it into different people taking different areas, but only once we have an idea of what's where.

Basically let's just make sure the entrances to a swamp dungeon, a water temple, a sky dungeon, and a desert dungeon don't all accidentally end up within a few screens of each other.
This. I'd rather have one person doing the entire overworld by himself/herself with other people reviewing it afterwards than having the entire thing end up being a patchwork of different styles with all the important places randomly being right next to eachother. Even if you only have something like two to four people working on the OW with each person having their own half/quadrant, you can still end up with all of them going with a dungeon in one of the corners. This would make perfect sense if each of those parts was a whole map; after all, even most "normal" Zelda games tend to have the Dungeons placed at the map's edges. But in this scenario, they would end up in a cluster extremely close to one another.

Now of course I realize that this entire project is a patchwork of sorts, but at least each dungeon is made by a single creator, thus being consistent in its own style.
Nabe wrote:The hammer situation has been hammered out. The Moosh/Nabe duo are cooperatively on the job.
...Well, at least most of the time :P
Because kitty.
Moosh

Post by Moosh »

Claiming Level 7 for hammer dungeon as that or level 2 seems to be what's left. This is a bad omen considering my history with Level 7. I swear, I'll stay off the wind weapons this time...Mostly.

Also after testing importing Gargoyle's Domain into default Classic I can safely say this project will be a bitch to assemble. Oh well, it's my own fault in the end for signing up for this...:P
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Still pulling things out of my head: will there be like small cave areas such as shops, treasure places and shortcut?
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Shops and Treasure Caves, yes.

Not sure about secret passages yet, but I don't see why not yet.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Neobullseye

Post by Neobullseye »

Speaking about treasure caves and whatnot; How are we going to handle the Rings and Sword Upgrades? The level 4 upgrades (counting the basic tunic and Wooden Sword as lv. 1, Blue Ring and White Sword as lv.2 etc.) are way too OP IMO, but the others are relatively balanced.
Anyways, will those just be hidden across the OW or placed in specific minidungeons - which may or may not be hidden themselves? Alternatively, I can also envision a special "temple" that holds all the sword upgrades (not counting the wooden Sword)
Because kitty.
Moosh

Post by Moosh »

So the flippers, boomerang, and bombs are listed as noncritical dungeon items. Does this mean that we're not supposed to build puzzles around them?

Also what's a reasonable dungeon size for mid/late game? The current layout I have for the hammer dungeon is 64 rooms big. Is that too much? I'm just a little concerned because I like to build big and I don't want this thing to be Luna Tower massive when compared to the other levels.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

We can hide like hearts and stuff in the overworld that you need the flippers to reach.

Basically, don't count on anybody having bombs before they get the bomb bag (or would it be better if we made the Super bombs that extra item?) and don't build any puzzles where the boomerang is the only solution. It can be the easiest solution but not the only solution.

If you want a large dungeon, Evan20000 made the Goron Mines or something like that (the third core dungeon in his Quest that he's working on) where you respawned in the middle of the dungeon due to Dmap shenanigans, if you want to go Luna Tower ask him how he did his.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

raekuul wrote:Basically, don't count on anybody having bombs before they get the bomb bag (or would it be better if we made the Super bombs that extra item?) and don't build any puzzles where the boomerang is the only solution. It can be the easiest solution but not the only solution.
Er, excuse me if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure we decided that the Bomb Bag would be given in the second dungeon, so that really shouldn't be a problem. We also decided to add the Wand as a non-critical item since bombs didn't make much sense.

Flippers and Boomerangs are still purely optional items at the moment though.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Ah, okay. My knowledge was a little out of date.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Neobullseye wrote:Speaking about treasure caves and whatnot; How are we going to handle the Rings and Sword Upgrades? The level 4 upgrades (counting the basic tunic and Wooden Sword as lv. 1, Blue Ring and White Sword as lv.2 etc.) are way too OP IMO, but the others are relatively balanced.
Anyways, will those just be hidden across the OW or placed in specific minidungeons - which may or may not be hidden themselves? Alternatively, I can also envision a special "temple" that holds all the sword upgrades (not counting the wooden Sword)
I suggest we just not use the level 4 upgrades. Gold Ring makes everything a joke, period, except for Death Knights, Master Sword cuts through everything...yeah.
Moosh wrote:Also after testing importing Gargoyle's Domain into default Classic I can safely say this project will be a bitch to assemble. Oh well, it's my own fault in the end for signing up for this...:P
I wouldn't mind doing the importing! Heck, I'm already keeping track of the tracking sheet. XP
EDIT: We'd also need to make a thread for claiming specific tiles, combos, and dmaps to make things easier. Anyone want to do that?

By the way, would anyone mind compiling a list of the dungeons showing which items are in the main dungeons (critical) and which ones are in the optional ones (non-critical)? I remember someone posted it somewhere, but I forgot where.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Here ya go!
Cheez wrote:Dungeons:
Levels 1 through 10 contain Plot Trinkets at the end to allow access to the next level.

Level 1: Contains Roc's Feather
Level 2: Contains Bomb Bags
Level 3: Contains Whistle
Level 4: Contains Bow&Arrows
Level 5: Contains Amulet(s)
Level 6: Contains Bracelets
Level 7: Contains Hammer
Level 8: Contains [?]
Level 9: Contains [?]
Level 10: Contains Hover Boots
Level 11(?): Contains Final Boss?
Minidungeons: (do not need to adhere to the main dungeon difficulty curve)
Flippers' Minidungeon: Accessible after Level 6
Shield Upgrades' Minidungeon: Accessible with Bow & Arrow (Level 4), Second half accessible with Hipster Glasses
Boomerangs' Minidungeon: Accessible with Roc's Feather (Level 1), Second half accessible with Amulets (Level 5)
Everything else: Accessible after [?], provides [?]
Shop-only items(?): Raft and Candle?

Remaining critical items (will probably be found in main dungeons):
-Hipster Glasses
-Hookshot
Remaining noncritical items (will probably be found in minidungeons):
-Wand
-Quivers (2 upgrades)
Other placement information:
-I don't actually know if there will be an eleventh dungeon as a final level, or if we're sticking the final boss in the tenth dungeon along with its item instead. Or alone, without the item. That's probably not something we need to know urgently yet, though.

(So far, all the minidungeons hold optional items, while the dungeons hold critical ones.)
It's over in the Dungeon Order thread. I'm still updating it as I get more info, but it's not quite complete. I also haven't been including any of the sword upgrades, because not only am I completely clueless about those, it also doesn't seem like there's much of a consensus on them.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Still pulling things out of my head: will there be a ban list of enemies we're not allowed to used in dungeons, such as the Black Leever and so forth?
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

jayScribble wrote:Still pulling things out of my head: will there be a ban list of enemies we're not allowed to used in dungeons, such as the Black Leever and so forth?
I think the Hammer may be strong enough to kill them in one hit. Also, we could easily reduce the damage they do to make them more "fair" fights without Red Ring.

(Speaking of the Red Ring, fun fact: Ganon's still really tough even if you have it! He's invisible so you can't just walk up and slash, and touching him still does like, 2.5 hearts of damage. Maybe 3.5, I forgot.)

EDIT: By the way, I haven't seen much talk from anyone in the past few days. What's going on, guys?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Wow, since Zelda games have the whole "continuous world" thing, unlike mario levels which are contained individually, this is going to be pretty hard to do, although I'm sure that's been said to death already.

looking forward to it, though :D
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Riolu180 wrote:EDIT: By the way, I haven't seen much talk from anyone in the past few days. What's going on, guys?
Well, a lot of what I do around here is in response to others, so... :P

Though finals week also happens to have arrived, more or less, so I'll be a bit distracted by that and I'd venture to guess other people will be too. I'm sure I'll get around to starting work on my minidungeon before too much time has passed.
Neobullseye

Post by Neobullseye »

cheez8 wrote:
Riolu180 wrote:EDIT: By the way, I haven't seen much talk from anyone in the past few days. What's going on, guys?
Well, a lot of what I do around here is in response to others, so... :P

Though finals week also happens to have arrived, more or less, so I'll be a bit distracted by that and I'd venture to guess other people will be too. I'm sure I'll get around to starting work on my minidungeon before too much time has passed.
Same here, minus the "working on a minidungeon" part. I'm mostly waiting for new stuff to happen so that I can comment on it :P
Because kitty.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

The reason for the absence of new music from me is that I have two major essays for uni due this week and another one due next week. After that I'll be back on track with the music.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Can you say AP tests and school projects and a lot of other work and, in the end, a bit of laziness as well? I'll try to get something done with my minidungeon after the next two weeks of tests and work and such are done.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I remember exam season.

I wish all of you good skill on your exams!
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

So, I realize it's a bit late to get involved with making any of the dungeons, but I would love to help test! I can also assist with scripting, if anyone is looking for anything in particular.