AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

... zelda
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Re: AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

Post by Validon98 »

Riolu180 wrote:
Validon98 wrote:I think I might have an idea for the Quiver dungeon (seeing as no one else has claimed it). How about a "Shooting Gallery" type thing, wherein you have to kill all of the enemies with a bow and arrow (enforced by having them all on the opposite side of a gap or something that you can't jump over) in order to progress, and you get a quiver as a reward? Actually, speaking of which, which quivers are we using?
That sounds great, although I have a better idea than enforcing it by limiting the play area. Dmaps have the option to disable items, so you can put everything but the bow & arrow on that list, and now you have a dungeon that you can only use arrows in! (Although I'd suggest also enabling the whistle so people can at least escape easier if they get overwhelmed or run out of arrows.)
Oh, good! I was thinking of something like that too, but I wasn't sure about it because I haven't used ZQuest in forever, hence the limited play field idea. Okay, that makes things easier. In that case, I should probably make a dungeon thread.
EDIT: Oh, what quivers are we using? I want to know because I don't know want to just throw the magic quiver or something overpowered like that in.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Neobullseye

Post by Neobullseye »

Please forgive me if this idea has been raised before; I'm too lazy to go through over a dozen of pages to find out. Anyways, would it be an idea to put a really small Zebra-Space-subdungeon inside each main dungeon? These microdungeons would then have a key at the end, which can be used in the real Zebra Space dungeon to unlock some really nice shinies/get through the dungeon. Of course, this also necessitates the existance of an Old Man to tell the player about this, but details.

Also, a second idea: In the earlier versions of the Whistle Dungeon the treasure rooms were broken in such a way that you could walk on the ceiling. This enabled the player to exit the room on the sides rather than the top, this in turn allowing for all sorts of game-breaking shenanigans. Would there be a way in which we can actually utilize this to hide a secret, a la the Warp Zone in Mario 1?
Because kitty.
AlexanderXCIII

Post by AlexanderXCIII »

Validon98 wrote: Oh, good! I was thinking of something like that too, but I wasn't sure about it because I haven't used ZQuest in forever, hence the limited play field idea. Okay, that makes things easier. In that case, I should probably make a dungeon thread.
EDIT: Oh, what quivers are we using? I want to know because I don't know want to just throw the magic quiver or something overpowered like that in.
I'd recommend the 60-arrow quiver (level 2), since my dungeon gives out the bow with 20-30 arrows maximum, but I can't speak for everyone here.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Neobullseye wrote:Also, a second idea: In the earlier versions of the Whistle Dungeon the treasure rooms were broken in such a way that you could walk on the ceiling. This enabled the player to exit the room on the sides rather than the top, this in turn allowing for all sorts of game-breaking shenanigans. Would there be a way in which we can actually utilize this to hide a secret, a la the Warp Zone in Mario 1?
lol, this again. The left and right side exits could always be enabled for them, and then the top of the ladder has a tile warp that only triggers if the player holds up (using a script), so if they jump towards it instead of moving up, they'll pass by it completely, allowing them to walk off the edges; perhaps this could be the entrance to a portion of the Zebraspace?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

Am I right and is the tracking sheet right in that no one has the Hammer (nee Raft)?

I have a idea that would suit Bomb Bag / Hammer, but if Bomb Bag is Level 2, I think my idea would definitely benefit from being in the 7/8/9 spot with the Hammer.

So if we cool G then consider the Hammer grabbed.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Nabe wrote:Am I right and is the tracking sheet right in that no one has the Hammer (nee Raft)?

I have a idea that would suit Bomb Bag / Hammer, but if Bomb Bag is Level 2, I think my idea would definitely benefit from being in the 7/8/9 spot with the Hammer.

Yeah, that's fine. I'll go ahead and add you to the list.
Neobullseye

Post by Neobullseye »

So, are there any spots left as far as dungeonn designing goes? And if yes, which ones? I mean, I've seen that tracking sheet thing, but that one only tells me what's taken, not what's still left.
Because kitty.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:Actually, that question reminds me. I used eight custom combos for my level, as well as like 6-7 custom tiles. Do you need to know which spots I placed them in?
This is actually very important, guys.
We need to know if we have to claim tile spots or not. I've made a few custom tiles for my level today too, and I need to know if the positioning is important (because I'm pretty sure it will be once we put everyone's levels together).

By the way, I also resprited the SMW-moon in Zelda, in case anyone wants to use that. I have no idea if I can export the sprite as-is though...
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

From what I understand of Zelda Classic, all custom stuff has to be separate. If there is overlap, stuff will overwrite. At least, that's the case for enemies and items. I don't know about combos, but I think that'll also be an issue. So yeah, I'd say we have to claim stuff
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

I suggest we have a thread for claiming tile and combo slots, since those can get overwritten, and it'd be better to have a quick place for everyone to claim those.

Also, I think we should also start stating what scripts we use in our dungeons and what screens they're used on, so whoever compiles everything together in the end knows what screens they may have to change due to everyone obviously going to be using scripts in the same slots.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Neobullseye wrote:So, are there any spots left as far as dungeonn designing goes? And if yes, which ones? I mean, I've seen that tracking sheet thing, but that one only tells me what's taken, not what's still left.
...I think they're all taken but I can't be sure. They are all taken from what I can gather, anyway, aside from maybe the final dungeon but I don't know what we're doing about that. There are a couple people who have claimed an item but haven't shown any progress in making their dungeon, and haven't even been involved here too much.

So far, these guys are definitely working on their dungeons:
raekuul- Level 1 (Roc's Feather)
Riolu180- Level 3 (Whistle)
AlexanderXCIII- Level 4 (Bow&Arrow)
Phoenix- Level 6 (Bracelets)
KobaBeach- Level 10 (Hover Boots)

LaularuKyrumo (Wand Minidungeon)
Validon98 (Quivers Minidungeon)
Aposke (Shields Minidungeon)
And then there are some people who we haven't seen anything from but who I've seen here and there in this subforum, so I trust them to do stuff with theirs:
Zyglrox Odyssey- Level 5 (Amulets)
Cloaytonem- Level ? (Hipster Glasses)
Nabe- Level ? (Hammer)

Tsurugi (Flippers Minidungeon)
Cheez8 (Boomerangs Minidungeon)
The rest of the items/dungeons were claimed by people who I haven't seen much of anything from past their "claiming an item" post:

Horikawa Otane- Level 2 (Bomb Bags)
aterraformer- Level ? (Hookshot)

...and that would be all the items. I dunno what to advise though! If anything, I guess we can wait and see if something opens up, but barring that it doesn't look like there's an open slot for any dungeons left. Sorry!

(also yeah, the discussion taking place between this post and the one I'm quoting is pretty important. Pay attention to that stuff too guys!)
I don't really get it but okay
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Do we have a deadline on when dungeons should be done? By "done", I mean "excluding a boss", since some people may want those scripted and that could take a while.
Neobullseye

Post by Neobullseye »

Hmm... In that case, let me just leave my two cents for an idea for the final dungeon. I can see a large castle with several floors (Clearing a floor allows you to open a shortcut to the previous one, thus both enabling you to leave to restock on items and get back without having to do the entire level again), surrounded by an open area which in turn is closed off with walls (Much like castles IRL had some extra defense walls too.) . In each of the four corners of this area stands a tower, and at the top of these towers a miniboss guards a key you need to access either the main fort or a treasure room. Of course, all of this together would practically make it multiple levels in one, but details.

I could make a sketch-version of it if you'd like. (That is, no scripts, no working doors etc.; just how I envision the thing.)
Because kitty.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

In that case, who's gonna make the final dungeon? Is it going to be one person, or it going to be a collaboration?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

jayScribble wrote:In that case, who's gonna make the final dungeon? Is it going to be one person, or it going to be a collaboration?
I think it should be a collaboration, with the dungeon requiring the use of all mandatory items to get through. The final dungeon should be suitably epic, which means it's probably going to be long; thus I think it'd be best to have multiple people work on it.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

cheez8 wrote:So far, these guys are definitely working on their dungeons:
raekuul- Level 1 (Roc's Feather)
Riolu180- Level 3 (Whistle)
AlexanderXCIII- Level 4 (Bow&Arrow)
Phoenix- Level 6 (Bracelets)
KobaBeach- Level 10 (Hover Boots)

LaularuKyrumo (Wand Minidungeon)
Validon98 (Quivers Minidungeon)
Aposke (Shields Minidungeon)
And then there are some people who we haven't seen anything from but who I've seen here and there in this subforum, so I trust them to do stuff with theirs:
Zyglrox Odyssey- Level 5 (Amulets)
Cloaytonem- Level ? (Hipster Glasses)
Nabe- Level ? (Hammer)

Tsurugi (Flippers Minidungeon)
Cheez8 (Boomerangs Minidungeon)
The rest of the items/dungeons were claimed by people who I haven't seen much of anything from past their "claiming an item" post:

Horikawa Otane- Level 2 (Bomb Bags)
aterraformer- Level ? (Hookshot)

...and that would be all the items.
People who have completed their dungeons:
KingTwelveSixteen- Level 0 (Wooden Sword)
Anyway, since tile/combo claiming is important, I used seven combos:
904, 905, 906, 907, 909, 910, and 911 (with 908 conspicuously missing because I realized that I didn't need that one and deleted it).
I also made eight custom tiles:
They appear on the OBJECT TILES part of it at the bottom and cover tile numbers 12448, 12449, 12468, 12469, 12470, 12471, 12472, 12473.
Tsurugi

Post by Tsurugi »

I'm having a great deal of difficulty wrapping my head around this program/finding a halfway decent tutorial. If someone else wants to give the flipper dungeon a try while I continue to fumble around, feel free to.
Neobullseye

Post by Neobullseye »

So, I went out of my way and made a thingie.
Would this be fitting for the entrance to the final dungeon? Or is it a bit too evil? (Note that this is still a rough version; the entrance gate/tower thing looks a bit weird and likely needs to get a bit modified. Alternatively, I/we could just go for a flat gate. Of course, all this is assuming that the entire thing doesn't need to get thrown out, but eh.)
Because kitty.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

It's the final dungeon so it should look evil.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Really like the color scheme, but you'll have to fix up the shading a bit, especially to the right side of the entrance (and of course rearrange some of the combos as you already mentioned). I like the vibe you've got going there, though.

Actually, how do we handle the whole palettes vs. CSets thing? Say I'd want to make a custom palette for one of my DMaps, would that even work, seeing as there are a very limited amount of palettes existent in ZQuest as it is?
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Aposke wrote:Really like the color scheme, but you'll have to fix up the shading a bit, especially to the right side of the entrance (and of course rearrange some of the combos as you already mentioned). I like the vibe you've got going there, though.

Actually, how do we handle the whole palettes vs. CSets thing? Say I'd want to make a custom palette for one of my DMaps, would that even work, seeing as there are a very limited amount of palettes existent in ZQuest as it is?
Yeah, it needs better tiles, but those could be made later on, yeah?

As for palettes, it may be limited, but there's a lot of them; I can't imagine we'd use them all while still needing more.
LaularuKyrumo

Post by LaularuKyrumo »

Tsurugi wrote:I'm having a great deal of difficulty wrapping my head around this program/finding a halfway decent tutorial. If someone else wants to give the flipper dungeon a try while I continue to fumble around, feel free to.
http://zcguides.celestialrealm.net/

This. Holy shit, this. It's not complete, but it covers the important things. I spent like, 30 minutes scouring the web before I found it, and after reading it through, it single-handedly took me from "the fuck do I do with this thing" to "okay I think I can work with this engine now".
"Excuse me, I should be allowed to play Kaizo of my own volition and then spend every episode complaining and asking "why did I play this???" while savescumming."
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Nabe wrote:Am I right and is the tracking sheet right in that no one has the Hammer (nee Raft)?

Oh geez. Umm...this is sad. Apparently, despite what I said earlier...Moosh apparently claimed the Hammer about 6 pages ago, but was ignored. Proof:
<Moosh> viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13247&start=175#p165428

I'll...let you two decide who actually gets the dungeon...
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I may have missed something at a point in time, are we having a candle of some sort and will it be available before the fifth dungeon? Considering my dungeon's item pertains to invisible enemies, darkness seems thematically appropriate.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

We'll at least have a candle in a shop in that case.

And, um... wow. I feel pretty bad about missing that.
I don't really get it but okay