(shouting)

SMW2+ The Offspring of Golden Yoshi

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
LightSlei

SMW2+ The Offspring of Golden Yoshi

Post by LightSlei »

Yeah new thread, guessing it be here.

Anyways yeah this has some interesting puzzles, I already played it (no recording :p).

I don't see a problem with putting the link to the site with the IPS' of Golden Yoshi here since no roms :), if there's a problem I guess mods can remove it after the headache I had of finding the actual IPS for Metroid Legacy.

http://www.freewebs.com/goldenyoshi/
kilon

Re: SMW2+ The Offspring of Golden Yoshi

Post by kilon »

Yeah, I totally did not expect this.

I actually never got into Yoshi Island kinda games (only played the DS version) and I have to admit I never fully watched the LP of Kamek's revenge so i guess this will be a good time to get to see what kind of crazy stuff you can do with this game.
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

SMW2+2 is the better of the two imo, he got really creative in that one, or at least I think Golden Yoshi is a he.
Chernobog

Post by Chernobog »

never played it, never saw anything at all about it, though I'm not really a fan of Yoshi's Island hack-things either, but I gotta say, I loved raocow's commentary here for some reason. Recently I feel like his commentary has been missing...something...but his commentary in today's video was great. Don't know how the game's gonna turn out in future videos, but good start.
Iceplug

Post by Iceplug »

I loved the "new feature" raocow demo'd at the beginning of second level. I couldn't stop laughing for a minute there. :lol:
"The Enrichment Center promises to always provide safe testing environments. In dangerous testing environments, the Enrichment Center promises to always provide useful advice. For instance, the floor here will kill you. Try to avoid it." - Portal
Thanks, guys! :D :(
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

Man, when I first saw the title of this thread I misread it as "SMW+2" instead of SMW2+ and thought we were getting a Let's Replay similar to what happened with challenge world.
StarkMaximum

Post by StarkMaximum »

OH NO!!!
raocow wrote:I'M SO GOD DAMN WACKY
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I don't normally care about games having been LPed before, but the previous LP was so peerless, I have to ask: are you sure you know what you're getting yourself into? I mean, sure, you fiddled with the control configuration a little and died a couple of times, but as far as trainwrecks go, you've got a lot to live up to.
I dare anyone to watch all of that. Seriously, I'm glad this game will be getting better treatment.
dont wanna jihad no more
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

Thissa wrote:Man, when I first saw the title of this thread I misread it as "SMW+2" instead of SMW2+ and thought we were getting a Let's Replay similar to what happened with challenge world.

same thing happened with me.

Unfortunately for you raocow, this game get's absolutely ludicrous, especially if you want to 100% it.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I played this game years ago and I'll just say, that if you're going for 100% in the game you're most likely going to have to disregard or rethink your savestating position because it gets ridiculous just to complete the levels later in the game. Other than that good luck I guess.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Daarkbuu wrote:
Thissa wrote:Man, when I first saw the title of this thread I misread it as "SMW+2" instead of SMW2+ and thought we were getting a Let's Replay similar to what happened with challenge world.

same thing happened with me.

Unfortunately for you raocow, this game get's absolutely ludicrous, especially if you want to 100% it.
Very true. I tried this game a while back because SMW2 is easily one of my favourite Mario games (in spite of baby Mario), and trying to 100% each level was pretty frustrating. And that was WITH savestates! Overall, the game was still pretty good once I stopped trying to be a perfectionist. But if raocow can get all the way through trying for a perfect score and having fun, then that'll make this LP just that much more awesome.

In short, I can't wait to see how this pans out.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Oh man, I remember beta testing this hack way back in 2005. Good times. As many people have said though, it gets pretty ridiculous towards the end, especially if you're trying to 100% it (not the same level of difficulty that I threw inyo Kamek's Revenge, mind you, but it's still pretty nuts). Still, SMW2+ was the first completed YI hack ever, so it'll be very interesting to see how this goes.
SpikyRat

Post by SpikyRat »

I somehow misread it as SMW2+3. :|

I hate you all.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Going along with everyone else in the thread, I didn't expect this. I'm pretty happy you're doing it, though, as I've always been fond of the graphics and music of SMW2.

I just... don't like the gameplay as much as SMW, which is why I tend to use YI graphics and YI music while hacking SMW.

Eh. Should be a fun playthrough to watch.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Sillyman

Post by Sillyman »

Iceplug wrote:I loved the "new feature" raocow demo'd at the beginning of second level. I couldn't stop laughing for a minute there. :lol:
I suppose this time he can actually claim (puts on sunglasses) that was a demo.
And now the coast is clear, I just need to deal... with my number one fan.
Riku~n, why do you keep wanting to murder me like this?
I wouldn't mind that smile so much if your skin wasn't made of poison for some reason.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

I wonder if there is anything hidden in that pit. :lol:
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
randoguy101
spicey tomato
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by randoguy101 »

I'm expecting at least one new song by Generic CAW from this Let's Play. Just sayin'.
- randoguy101
EvilLemmy

Post by EvilLemmy »

Back when the original LP was going, I played this and got 100%. I didn't think it was too bad in terms of level difficulty, but some of the coins/flowers were so hidden I had to open up the ROM in an editor to find them. The secret levels were somewhat disappointing after that. Still, this is a well made hack and it's good to see it getting a proper playthrough.
urdailywater

Post by urdailywater »

Umm, I hope that Bad ROM message won't mean anything in the future.

..'Cause it usually does... for me at least.
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

I think I only played through some of world 2, because I remember the difficulty getting insane.
I suppose you could tell by the Muddy Buddies (that let you walk on the spikes) being on the first level. It think they were in 5-4, maybe world 6 in the original.
I never beat the original 100% (though I finished it non-100%). Yet in this hack, I was save-scumming for 100% on level 1-2. :P

Come to think of it, it is quite odd that Yoshi is insta-killed by spikes in YI, yet he can walk on them just fine in SMW.
SpikyRat

Post by SpikyRat »

I watched the first video earlier, and... That "feature" makes having lifes really pointless.

I hate you all.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

SpikyRat wrote:I watched the first video earlier, and... That "feature" makes having lifes really pointless.
Not necessarily. You lose access to any checkpoints in a level. It might be a bit annoying to be forced back start, but yeah, it's not as much of a hassle as in SMW.
ChillaxestPrankster

Post by ChillaxestPrankster »

Hey Morsel dude, your link didnt work.
Also, I forgot just how beautiful yoshi's Island is. :o
The Hockey Player and the psychopathic fan looked, in their writhings, a little like two ducks, one of which is trying to make a third duck inside the second duck, while the second duck is trying very hard to explain that it doesn't feel ready for a third duck right now, is uncertain that it would want any putative third duck to be made by this particular first duck anyway, and certainly not while it, the second duck, was busy flying.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

urdailywater wrote:Umm, I hope that Bad ROM message won't mean anything in the future.

..'Cause it usually does... for me at least.
It only means that the ROM was edited. Unlike Lunar Magic, Eggvine does not have a checksum correcter.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

ChillaxestPrankster wrote:Hey Morsel dude, your link didnt work.
Works for me. Just search google videos for smw2+ chapter 1 or 01 or one, should work.

Although you really don't want to see it, it's terrible. Clownbirth's thread is probably best summed up by the live-action retsupurae featuring Proteus and Vegastar.
dont wanna jihad no more