(shouting)

Yep.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man X3 Again)

Post by Bean »

Mega Man X3

Since I've decided to take a break on MM&B due to fatigue from real life stuff popping up, I figured I'd bring over a couple of stream sessions I did last month.

Mega Man X3 was nice to go through again, but it's still the weakest of the SNES trilogy. It's also nice to add this one to the very exclusive "beat without losing a life" club... but there were some close calls! Doppler 1, I'm looking at you. I'm looking at you.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man X4)

Post by Bean »

Mega Man X4

And the other stream I decided to port over was of my favorite Mega Man game of all-time. A pretty solid run, although there were a few technical hiccups in the beginning. One day, this game will get the proper treatment from me. It deserves it.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man & Bass: Challenger From the Future)

Post by Bean »

Mega Man & Bass: Challenger From the Future

I managed to get all of the old links up that were lost in the Talkhaus downtime, but I didn't want to say anything until I had something new to put up. As a result, it's back to April and an official yet very obscure game in the Blue Bomber's history that was developed by Bandai and released on their Wonderswan handheld in 1999.

It's not a good game, and this was mostly a blind run going in, so this was destined to be something. It was definitely that. I'm so glad this was a single segment run and not a series.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man Powered Up)

Post by Bean »

(1) Intro Stage - Towntown
(2) Cut Man

This is another playthrough that has been in the works for awhile, but I'm not quite ready to make it public to everybody yet. I'd say we'll start for real in May. Anyway...

Mega Man Powered Up is one of the best titles the Blue Bomber has ever seen, and it's because of the amazing amount of content Capcom packed into it. It's just a shame that the game wound up being put on the absolute worst possible device at one of the worst possible times for success as this one wound up being largely ignored by everyone. Oops!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Oh wow. I didn't realize you'd done a whole series of Megaman LPs, too, Bean. This thread must've been long buried or something, or else I'd have started watching all of this stuff much sooner! I've always loved that series, and I've already made it clear that I like your LPs from the Mario thread, so this gonna be goooood. :P

At the moment, I'm watching your old Megaman and Bass playthrough, as that's probably my favorite of the 2D Megaman games. I like how you decided to do Megaman on the SNES version, and Bass on the GBA version, which offered an interesting "compare and contrast" aspect, even if unintentional. Though I *especially* liked the way you added in each character's theme when showing off the CD data.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Hey, I love my PSP.... And my Vita for that matter.
Not bashing the PSP as I like it for what it is as well, but at the time, the DS had taken off like crazy. Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X sadly bombed when they were both good games because it's not what that audience wanted. That's all I'm going with there. Promise!
YelseyKing wrote:At the moment, I'm watching your old Megaman and Bass playthrough, as that's probably my favorite of the 2D Megaman games. I like how you decided to do Megaman on the SNES version, and Bass on the GBA version, which offered an interesting "compare and contrast" aspect, even if unintentional. Though I *especially* liked the way you added in each character's theme when showing off the CD data.
I'm glad that you are enjoying it. This thread did get buried when we had that crash last year as MM&B went into early August, and all those posts were lost. Oh well. The CD videos took a long time to do, so I'm glad they were the most popular from that playthrough.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can have another three or more videos done by the start of next month, then I'll slowly start making them public to everyone. Figured there was no reason to make you all wait in the meantime. Just means longer delays between updates, which is something I usually have with these Mega Man series lately anyhoo!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Bomb Man

This stage is another good one to go with first, but I like having Rolling Cutter in a couple of stretches here, especially when you're trying to avoid damage and all that. We also meet up with my least favorite enemy again for the first time and face a boss that surprisingly ruined a few runs because he's a lot better at zoning than I remember. Seriously, stop hopping on me!
Last edited by Bean 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Ice Man

Ice Man's stage is pretty chill for the most part, but it gets a little hectic around the end with some moving platforms and the boss himself. I had a few runs end then, but it turns out the best way to get through this is to have everything luckily go your way. I'll take it, but then I'll go back and do it right anyway.

Also, I'm totally going to cut back on the puns after watching this video. They're fine in moderation, but I went overkill on them in this one.
Last edited by Bean 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Hah. Megaman Powered Up looks like such a cute and charming game. Very interesting take on the original. Though I wonder where Timeman and Oilman came from... I always assumed Megaman and Roll were intended to be the two "missing" robot masters in the original game. Huh.

Also, what are those objects that look like magazines laying around the stages? I assume you'll be doing videos later where you collect them, ala the CDs in Megaman and Bass, but I'm curious as to their purpose.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'll actually say what they are now since it's going to be a long while before I get to them. Those items lying about are actually Construction Packs. There are two types: Scenery and Enemy. With them, you can build your own levels using the game's assets and upload them to the internet for others to play. Believe me, you have a lot more to play around with when you get them all as the game's starter packs are a little lacking.

As for the bots, Time and Oil Man were added to round out the game's bosses to the usual eight. They don't have any official number designations since they're both prototypes.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Bean wrote:As for the bots, Time and Oil Man were added to round out the game's bosses to the usual eight. They don't have any official number designations since they're both prototypes.
Timeman is DLN. 00A, Oilman is DLN. 00B according to the comics, which is as canon as we can get. DLN. 000 is Protoman, 001 is Megaman/Rockman, 002 is Roll. 003-008 are the original 6 robot masters. After that the number scheme switches to DWN (Dr. Wily Numbers), but continues from 009.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:Timeman is DLN. 00A, Oilman is DLN. 00B according to the comics, which is as canon as we can get. DLN. 000 is Protoman, 001 is Megaman/Rockman, 002 is Roll. 003-008 are the original 6 robot masters. After that the number scheme switches to DWN (Dr. Wily Numbers), but continues from 009.
You know, I just had this thought. The Megaman 6 robot masters also use the DWN numbering, despite the fact that the intro story suggests that Wily didn't build them at all; that they were robots, presumably made by people worldwide, entered into a "world's strongest robot" contest. He reprogrammed them, yes, but... he's still taking credit for other peoples' work! Wily is even more evil than we first thought! :P
Bean wrote:I'll actually say what they are now since it's going to be a long while before I get to them. Those items lying about are actually Construction Packs. There are two types: Scenery and Enemy. With them, you can build your own levels using the game's assets and upload them to the internet for others to play. Believe me, you have a lot more to play around with when you get them all as the game's starter packs are a little lacking.
Whoa. That sounds really neat, actually. I've always thought, on a similar note, that there should be some kind of Megaman game maker, ala SMBX. That would be awesome.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Fire Man

This one's hard. Both Fire Man and his stage require you to act fast plenty or risk getting singed early and often. It's because of that and how tired I was of recording Mega Man videos in general back in the day that I took a good six months off to make sure I could get through this one all right. I did. This one's still hard.

Also, I love the link having "0PUN" in the address bar. It's like it's trying to tell me something.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Oil Man

My favorite slick-dancing Robot Master in Powered Up finally gets a chance to show what he's made of! Unfortunately for him or his stage, there's not much. The only real hazard here is the oil which will either burn or cause you to slip on. There aren't even any spikes or pits on the main path! Oil Man's also an easy fight, but his weapon can be very useful if you know what you're doing with it. It's not Top Spin, but it's better than people give it credit for.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) Elec Man

Elec Man's the best-designed Robot Master in the series to me, so it's only fitting that he'd think a little highly of himself with his new Powered Up personality. Thing is, he put so much time into his look that his stage has no real substance to it. It's a simple place with very few obstacles to get in your way. The fight's a little tougher, but it's nowhere near as dangerous as it was in the original Mega Man game. Next!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) Time Man

Time Man is my pick for the hardest stage to get through without taking a hit. It just has way too many precision jumps for my liking compared to all the others in the game. The whole timing-based thing comes into play with our boss, too, but it's a lot less hectic with nothing swinging around back and forth trying to ruin a run. His movements are always the same in a non-weakness run, making him arguably the easiest of the eight bots in the game. What a relief!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) Guts Man

Getting this one up a little later that I had wanted to, but Guts Man is finally on the schedule. His stage has more of those moving lifts that will more than happily dump you into pits or spikes, but I think they're mostly easier to navigate in this game save for one particular leap. Boss is pretty easy thanks to being slow and lumbering with an obvious tell for when he's going to toss a rock at you, too. Go figure.

Eight bots down, no damage taken. I see a pattern. Will it keep up? I'll get back to you on that.
Last edited by Bean 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I hate that last lift jump.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

There's one later in the game I find worse, but that's a few more videos away. As for today...

(10) Wily 1 - Yellow Devil

You mention the Devil series of bots to Mega Man players, and most are going to flinch as they're some of the longest drawn-out boss battles you'll come by. That's no exception in Powered Up, but it's not the worst thing in the world... at least on normal. The segments are much slower than they were, giving you more than enough time to dodge in spite of having less room to work with. The stage itself has some spots that are tough, but this still went better than expected.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(11) Wily 2 - CWU-01P

In the original Mega Man, the stage with this bot could be beaten in a little over a minute. In this game, it's nearly double that so it has to be twice as dangerous! Nah, it's still pretty easy. CWU-01P is both easier to fight but tougher to no-hit on this difficulty since you're at the mercy of which side he comes down on near the end. Hope you saved a Guts Block for that!
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Huh. They changed the stage order in Powered Up; that one was actually the *third* of the original's Wily stages. How odd. I guess they decided that the Mega Clone was a better penultimate boss than some robotic bubble thing? Though it kinda makes more sense that way, actually, considering that stage also featured two boss re-fights.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(12) Wily 3 - Copy Robot

Refight stages in Mega Man games are always the ones I worry about doing right. This one's no exception, even if we're playing by Mega Man 7 & 8 rules where weaknesses stun Robot Masters. It's just so many bots to go through without being allowed one mistake in the way I usually do these playthroughs, and this one was no exception. Well, okay, there is one exception thanks to the boss being somewhat of a joke now, but I was trying to be a little dramatic here! Oh well.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(13) The New Original Final Battle

I wound up passing out last night, and YT kept this one in processing heck the whole night. Oops! Anyway, it's time for Mega Man to take on Dr. Wily for the very first time, pending you can get past one last dreaded jump, that is! The fight with Wily is going to be quick one way or the other as it all comes down to who can hit the other with their arsenal the most first. I never want to hear Wily say "Rolling Cutter" again.

There you have it! The New Style mode run of Mega Man Powered Up is now complete! Going to take a little time off before firing this one up again. Peace!
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man Xtreme)

Post by Bean »

Mega Man Xtreme [Extreme Mode]

While I wonder whether to continue with Powered Up for now or go back to Mario, here's a stream from last year of a game I don't really care for all that much. At least it wasn't one of the PC games, I guess! Anyway, unlike its sequel, this game is pretty much how Mega Man X & X2 levels would look if they were on the Game Boy Color. Man, X really got the short end of the stick a lot after X4, huh?
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (Mega Man Powered Up [Old Style])

Post by Bean »

(1B) Guts Man [Old Style]

It looks like today is the fifth anniversary for me of joining this board. Between that and Election Day here, why not upload a video that has a stage vote at the end of it? Actually, it just wound up being a total coincidence as this probably should've been put up a month ago, but what are you going to do?

I will tell you what I'll do and that's going through a recreation of the original Mega Man that uses Powered Up's assets. It's a nice little touch for a game that was crammed with a whole lot of content. Even the screen size tries to emulate the old NES square that many of us played on back in the day. Guts Man was picked by me first to avoid any chance of having to backtrack for the Magnet Beam later on. It's also one of the easiest stages in the game if you can handle the platforming along the rails. I can, so there you go. I wonder where we're going next now.