(shouting)

Yep.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: Yep. (NP: Metroid: Zero Mission)

Post by YelseyKing »

Honestly... I think that energy tank you started the video by getting may be *the* most annoying item to get in *the entire series*. I cannot think of any other items in any other game, 2D or 3D, that's *that* finicky. Fusion and Prime 2 have you pull off some crazy stunts, but that one's just nuts. (Though I haven't played Prime 3 or Other M. Still, I kinda doubt either of them has anything that irritating.)
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It's a toss-up to me because I remember you having to do a lot of Shinespark Screw Attacks to get some of the items in Fusion. Also have yet to play Prime 3, but I can say that Other M has nothing on the GBA games from what I remember of it.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Well, that one hidden area to the right of the first Sector 2 boss' room can be a bit of a thing, too. But at least it gives you a lot of room to pull off your shinespark jumps/charges. And the hidden room above the fake Chozo statue/Core X room in Sector 1... Those are probably the worst of them in Fusion, IMO. And even then, they're not as bad as that one in Zero Mission. At least not to me, anyhow.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) 100%, Mecha Ridley, Escape, & Ending / (7-Silent)

This was a fun little project, but it's time to take it down here and now after we finish off our item collection. That won't take too long, and neither will the final boss even with his tripled health and attack power at 100% because of how strong Samus is now. It's amazing how much of a 180 this game was from Fusion in terms of design. Fusion's foes are real dangerous, but the game's pretty linear. Zero Mission goes with less danger but gives you so much more exploration. It's pretty safe to say that I prefer the exploration Metroids (Zero Mission, Super, Prime 1) more than the isolation ones (Fusion, Prime 2) though.

In any case, I enjoyed being able to talk over a series again like this. I need to do this more often, and I think I have a game that will fit that bill in the near future. I don't know whether or not I'll do that one before the next Mario game or not, but I guess we'll find out in a few weeks or so if everything goes according to plan here. See you!
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Well, that was an interesting change of pace! I don't think I've watched any of your LPs that weren't Mario or Megaman, actually. And it's only the second series of yours (not counting some archived live streams) which had voiceovers instead of text.

I didn't know about the easier way to get the missile expansion in Tourian. I always did it the hard way. Hrm. Have to try that next time I play. I also didn't know about the shortcut in the escape sequence. I did, however, know about the trick to getting the last energy tank easier, though; figured that one out on my own, and was amused to see you do it, as well.

One thing I always found silly, though... they went through the trouble of including a Space Pirate mothership in Zero Mission, seemingly to tie into why there's a large, wrecked ship on the surface of Zebes in Super Metroid... and then Nintendo reveals it's not -- and wasn't *meant* to be -- the same ship. So. Yeah. Whatever. I don't buy it. :P

And... I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom the original Metroid never "did it". I did play it as a kid, but I could never really get into it... and even though I've played through it as an adult, it's... eh. It's just not as good. I respect its place in history, but "historically important" doesn't always translate to "remains fun years later". :P In fact, I actually never played Super Metroid on SNES, due to not caring much about the original and seeing no reason to invest in a sequel. I eventually *did* play it when I got a computer capable of running SNES emulation, and... the rest is history. Now I'm a huge fan of the series.

... And I still don't care for the original. :lol:

Anyway, good series, as always, congrats on the 100% speedrun, and looking forward to the SML2 LP!

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, considering its position on the map, that's totally the Wrecked Ship from Super Metroid to me. Bored with the original, the GB one was okay, but Super's where the series got great even though I didn't start playing these games until Fusion came out, and even then, it was nearly a decade later I think before I gave the Prime games a true chance.

Like you, I'm ready to get back to Mario myself for a bit here even though I've had something else on my mind that would keep this thread up. Maybe after Mario Land 2, I'll be back for a little 2.5 of something else.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (Now Playing - Mega Man 2.5D)

Post by Bean »

(1) Intro & Time Man

It's been about eight months since I've played a Mega Man game on the channel, but it's been nearly four years since I've done a fan game. Hey, this Mega Man 2.5D game looks pretty fun and gives me the chance to correct both of those things while also getting to talk over a series again. Kind of looking into doing a little more now on the channel. Hope you enjoy what will mostly be a blind single player run, although I'll see if I can sneak my bro in for a vid or two of co-op at some point just to test it out.

First up after playing Mega Man Powered Up for so long is the lone bot brought in from Mega Man Powered Up. Like I said in the video, I will never escape that game. Nope. Pretty fun stage outside of Sniper Joes existing, but I think I make that point well known in the run itself.

Stage Vote #1 is right here by the way or if you just want to do it outright on here, click the spoiler box below!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Quick Man

Insta-kill lasers, Sniper Joes in mechs, disappearing blocks... Check those berserk button boxes for me, stage. Could also do without that tinny voice. Time to buy that new mic before I chicken out of taking that next step forward personally. Yep.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Pharaoh Man

Put in gimmicks that I don't mind in Mega Man games, and all of a sudden, things go a lot more smoothly. Who knew? Well, I did. It probably helps that this was the other stage I played on my own time for the most part before going to record the game. That stage ended with a double KO against Mr. Pharaoh, so it's time for a rematch to see who comes out on top. And then another since I didn't like that first try. Oops.

And here's Stage Vote #2. It's also in the spoiler box below.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Tornado Man

Tornado Man's stage has a gimmick that I'm not that good at. The wind? No, that's fine. It's those dang screws. I never really could get the hang of those when I played Mega Man 9, but I sure was forced to get good at them here. Since this one is less on enemies and more on pits, this made it the perfect time to bring in Roll for what will likely be her only stage in this run.

Her gun only fires one bullet at a time, but that bullet does more damage than all the other bots. Special weapons can be fired out like normal, however, so that is a strategy. It's not really one I'd recommend other than for maybe having Pharaoh Shot ready for the birds, but I wasn't thinking at the time. We'll head up out of the sky and into the stars next time. Let's see if I can get this next one done faster.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Oh. I meant to point this out the other day, but... that sphinx mini-boss in Pharaohman's stage wasn't actually an original creation. It was shown in a pre-release screenshot of Megaman 4, and a few assets from it are still left in the game's data. I'm not sure where in the stage it would have appeared, but my guess would be that it originally covered the entrance to the underground pyramid, and you'd have to defeat it before you could enter.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It's also used for real in Uranus' stage in Mega Man V on the Game Boy, although the snake head looks a lot dumber there, and you have to jump on rock cubes that are shot out to hit the thing as other rocks try to drop on you.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Star Man

Bass has the skills required to make the next stage easier, but I had a lack of energy going into recording the gameplay on this one. Stage itself is pretty fun with gravity gimmicks that remind me of Saturn's stage in MMV and a space shooter segment thrown in the middle of all that. Lots of spikes in this one to try and make things difficult, but it's not all that bad compared to last time. Star Man feels faster than usual, and I still don't know if that's on me or if he actually is. Either way, not my best boss battle.

Our final stage vote is here and right below for a direct link, too.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Snake Man

Sorry about the delay. Things happen. This stage is a fun enough one to come back to, but I really wish I could show this level off in co-op because that's where this on really excels. In single player, it's more or less a new take on the MM3 stage it's based off of that has one part that pays homage to a pretty Rare NES game. Outside of that and a computer that wanted to give me a little grief in an earlier take, this level barely gave me any trouble. Nice return to form... even though this was recorded before my actual break. Hmm.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) Shadow Man

Our final character is sadly only going to be seen in this one stage and for collecting one letter in a couple vids from now, but he is awesome if only for the fact that he has the funniest "sliding" animation in the game. Yeah, I struggled more with commentary than the actual stage here because of him shaking it and making it and reminded me of that dumb Guts Man's posterior video back in the early days of YT.

The odd part with the ladder switching aside, this was a fun stage. Next time, I'll be singing the blues in the deep blue... minus the singing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) Splash Woman

Water stages in Mega Man games usually aren't much trouble for me, and it was looking like things were going swimmingly up until that final checkpoint in the level. Still, this one is a deep sea deathtrap with all the spikes floating about even before I reached the part that would claim way too many of my lives. For those of you that like edited trainwrecks, this is one for you. I'll see you a couple more times for vids like that when we do the Wily stages.

Next time, however, is when I go back to get all the letters. What are we going to spell out? Well, stay tuned and find out then.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) Letter Collecting

Here's our quick backtracking video that took way longer to make than I'd care to admit because it's a clip show vid, and Mega Man 2.5D doesn't mesh very well with Camtasia. Well, at least I had fun doing the commentary for it. Anyway, these letters spell out BOND, and that's going to lead to a boss fight against Daniel Craig in the very near future or something. Anyway, say so long to every playable character not named Mega Man because the fortress has to be done in one go, and why wouldn't I choose him to finish things off?

Going to be a couple more trainwrecks in those stages, so look forward to missing easy jumps and one particular boss down the road!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10) Wily 1

I really wish there was the option to save your progress after every fortress stage. Seems Powered Up's spoiled me. Anyway, it's been a couple of months since Dr. Light was kidnapped, so we should probably go and save him. This first level is basically a remix of what you'd see in both Mega Man 2 and 3's first Wily stages with a hint of Cossack 1 (MM4) thrown in. Of the three regular length final stages, this one's definitely the easiest.

Also, I really need to figure out where to set my mic gain at times. This one was so quiet, yet I was still popping the audio in spots. I need a better handle on Audacity. Nine years of doing these vids, and I still don't always know what I'm doing. Happy Anniversary, me.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(11) Wily 2

Half the video is spent fighting a particular boss that is commonplace in Mega Man games. You can never escape the Bumo... even in fan games. This one's particularly long since there is a long waiting period between times when you get to actually attack the thing. Still, I'll take that fight over having to do that one jump in the water legitimately. I think you could've given me another ten chances on the day I recorded this, and I doubt I would've made it.

Had more fun with the commentary on this one, but that stage is definitely a low point for me in the game. Next time is the exact opposite... although the result is kinda the same thanks to one particular boss. Can't win 'em all, if all means seven times anyway.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(12) Wily 3

This stage, my favorite in the game, does things a little bit differently than most Mega Man fans are used to. We start in a central hub and have to work our way around three different areas to take some gate lock generators offline. There are six in total, and the stage spots you two right at the start, so we've got it pretty easy. Yeah, not really. The bottom path is kind of tricky on the timing aspect, and even then, there's a trio of boss fights to cap off this gauntlet. It just so happens that the second of those battles happened to be the thing that gave me a ton of trouble.

Still, I'm glad I liked the stage as much as I did because I certainly spent a good while playing the thing. I think the actual playing time was 25 minutes, but I didn't bother recording my third run of the stage since it was just about beating those bosses at that point. I'll get to beat a bunch of them next time, too, because it's refight time then.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(13) Wily 4

Getting down to the nitty-gritty now, so you might as well keep your eyes glued to the action as we enter the refight stage. Of course, those puns mean we also have a certain sticky situation to take care of first thanks to collecting all of the letter plates earlier on. Shame this extra boss doesn't give you a special weapon like say Yoku Man did in Mega Man Unlimited, but whatever. It's fine.

What's not fine is going into these rematches blind and not knowing the weapon weakness chain here. That goes double for our two-round showdown with Dr. Wily at the end of this stage. At least it's a pretty short stage, but I'd like to avoid getting yet another game over here if I can help it. In any case, next time is the final time. See you there.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(14) Wily 5 & Ending

This project's been delayed enough, so let's just get to the finale right now. It's not a long stage in the slightest and only has one troublesome spot thanks to a combo of falling blocks and a perspective shift, but I really should've known better. I didn't. Oops! The final boss fight's easy, so get to begging, Dr. Wily! You lose again, dude.

Had fun doing this, but I will say it was interesting trying to use this mic properly. Whether it's the way I talk or doing a spotty job keeping quiet in front of the mic in general, I had some audio issues at times in this series. Since I want to get better at talking, I might throw down another playthrough in the near future when I'm not doing stuff in my own time. Hope you enjoyed this one even if there was that month+ break in the middle of it. See you later!
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man 10)

Post by Bean »

Mega Man 10 (Silent)

Hey. One more single segment run that's really two segments since there was a small pause in gameplay after the main eight stages. The gameplay itself is a mixed bag since it's been about five years since I played this one, and I made some silly decisions as a result. Mm-hmm. I'll get a version I talk over but probably in lower audio quality up next week.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man 10)

Post by Bean »

Mega Man 10 - (1st Half) / (2nd Half)

Just like the run itself, making this video was kind of a train wreck. Camtasia just did not mix well with HD production along with my commentary. I want to say this is the longest I've ever spent making a gameplay video, and that includes with text. That's ridiculous. Thankfully, it's worth it. Mega Man 10's a fun game, but it has been five years since I've played it, so yeah. This one won't be pretty in spots. Ha-ha. Audio quality was not lowered, by the way, so that's one thing that went right.

No clue what I want to do next since I'm in that "So many choices but can't pick one" mode. I'll figure it out eventually, and then, one of these two threads I do will be up on the middle of page one and ready to go. See you whenever next time is!
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Make a Good Mega Man Level 2)

Post by Bean »

(1) The Beginning

I've been talking about this project since October, but it's finally time to try and get the Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest 2 started here before letting it go live tomorrow for the official anniversary date. Our opening video features absolutely nothing other than our intro and iffy audio quality from me. Oops! Well, I've got a lot of videos to sort through to get this right. Next time, I will kick the actual gameplay off with all of Tier 1 since it is the smallest area in the game.

Happy Birthday, video game character that shoots other robots for peace. Welcome back, dude.