(shouting)

Yep.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (Mighty No. 9 - First Attempts)

Post by Bean »

(Bonus #2) Intro Stage - City

For completion's sake, I wanted to get this one up now but didn't even think about recording gameplay until right after beating this stage initially. It's a simple stage with way too many breaks in the action. It really reminds me of Mega Man Powered Up, the game that I will never finish until I do, except that there's nowhere near the personality to these characters.

Still, bonus points for Dr. White's line that I skip over asking if the robots have torn Dr. Sanda to pieces. Would've saved me from his constant screeching and comments about lollygagging. Kidding... I think.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (Mighty No. 9 - First Attempts)

Post by Bean »

(11) Final Stage - Battle Colosseum
(12) Final Boss - Trinity

I'll wait on letting the last video go live on YT until tomorrow, but you all here can see these two videos together. That final stage has you shooting these non-lethal Dr. White hair blob energy things into platforms or get rid of them altogether and gives you a crazy part near the end where you have to use the dash and wind to keep from falling into a giant bottomless pit. It's crazy. The final boss is one I'm glad I switched to a form on in the end because it is going to be one mighty close call. Shame that one form caused the worst case of slowdown I had in this game at a point in the first vid, and yes, it's noticeable.

Anyway, Mighty No. 9. I asked in the final video for your opinion on it, and you can post it here if you want since I want to see it, but I'll say mine again now. It's nowhere near trash like the reviews are saying, at least with the PS4 version I played, but it's also not great or even good either. It's more like a C- or D+ with the main game. Wii U owners and backers that paid more than the $25 I did probably got screwed the hardest, but in just talking about the game, it still plays like a Mega Man X title. I just wish they wouldn't have developed the thing for so many systems at the same time because you know that's what really screwed with the budget and development time.

As a result, MN9 doesn't achieve being the good game it could've been because it needed the in-game polish it never received. I do wish there would be a chance to refine the engine for a sequel, but come on. This game's getting way too much backlash for that to happen. Bummer!
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (Mega Man Powered Up [Construction])

Post by Bean »

(1D) Creating a Stage [Construction]

The series that I started recording on in September 2013 is finally getting ready to reach its conclusion, and it all starts with finding out that this game lets you make your own levels. Starting out, there's not too much to work with here, but we'll eventually get to that. For now, this video is all about showing off how simple creating a stage is and realizing that there are now ten videos left in this series unless I'm crazy enough to try and play as Oil Man through normal mode down the road. Wait, what?

Anyway, you all get this about a half day before the rest of the world does. Future parts will have wider gaps since I want to get ahead on this and try to find time to piece together that bonus video I went on about. Okay, I'm done talking now. Let's finish things this time... please?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2D) Cut Man Packs [Construction]

Ah, short clip show vids are things that I can handle! 36 packs to grab in the eight normal Robot Master stages, so there's going to be four levels with five and the other four with just four. Cut Man's stage is on the high end, but even then, it's not going to take all that long to grab them in clipped form.

Even decided after the fact to throw in random Robot Master vs. Robot Master action just to show off that bosses have different conversations, too. In this case, it's Ice Man's turn since he really doesn't have many good ones here and it's odd to see Cut Man actually angry instead of concerned like he is with nearly everybody else.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Huh. That was interesting. I'd watched the "Collecting the Construction Packs" part of Roahm Mythril's MMPU LP, and wondered how yours would differ. You actually show what each pack *is*. Roahm just showed how to *get* them. Nice touch. Looking forward to the rest of this series.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The guide I used for knowing which is which was on GameFAQs, but for some reason, it's gone now. The copy I found of it is on NeoSeeker.

Also want to say this here, but every Extra Pack really should have been in the weakness stages. For instance, Bomb Man's one is in Cut Man's stage (former weak to the latter), but Fire Man's was also there. It should be in Ice Man's. It's silly, honestly.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3D) Bomb Man Packs [Construction]

This level's packs are mostly easy, but it does introduce peeps to the first one that will give you trouble. That Ice Man exclusive route is kind of difficult to do right in one shot, and you'll need to make a lot more shots than that to reach the prize. Still, it doesn't make for an exciting alternate path either since you just drop back down to the main route after you're done or when you mess up. I like the more intricate side routes such as the one we'll see next time.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

You know, I think Bombman's stage was the one that saw the biggest change in setting from the original to Powered Up. In the original, it looks like some kind of futuristic city, whereas in Powered Up, it's a weapons factory. Thematically appropriate, but very different. All the rest of the stages felt a lot closer to their NES counterparts.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It's okay. His level's kind of just there in the NES version, too!

(4D) Ice Man Packs [Construction]

Now this one has a much more enjoyable secret route that plays off of Fire Man's challenges where he had to douse and reignite himself. That's the sort of puzzle platformer action that I like seeing in these. The rest are no trouble at all, so yeah. This whole D-part of this series is way easier than I thought it was going to be. Why did I wait so long to edit these?
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Bean wrote:It's okay. His level's kind of just there in the NES version, too!
Heh, no kidding. It's always the first stage I play, since there's just nothing special or difficult about it.

Also: I always feel a bit sorry for Iceman when he dies on MMPU. That pitiful "Soldier down!!" cry. Poor guy.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5D) Fire Man Packs [Construction]

Even though this stage has five packs to get, this isn't going to take too long... as long as you know how to use the Oil Slider. Getting to that secret path takes a timely long leap, but it's reaching the pack and then getting out which will drive some players nuts. I remember watching RoahmMythril's run of this, and coasting through the Oil Blocks on the lower route keeps you out of harm's way, but man, does it make escaping a total chore.

Anyway, the real main event here is the boss dialogue. I don't know why this is my favorite conversation in the game, but it is.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6D) Oil Man Packs [Construction]

This is the only stage where there are two packs along the secret route. That might sound dangerous, but it's one of the calmest climbs you'll have in the game since there are no traps to be found. Instead, it's just having to play around with some Elec Blocks. That makes half of this collection pretty simple, and the other two aren't that much harder to get to.

The fight this time around is between the two not as new as they were when we fought them in this project over two years ago bots to the game. Try saying that three times fast or even wondering if that's a coherent sentence. Mm-hmm. Just down to a handful of videos to go now!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7D) Elec Man Packs [Construction]

Sorry for the delay, but that's been the norm since the beginning, huh? These packs are also pretty easy to collect, although the alternate path for Time Man can be a bit of a roadblock if you aren't focused. I also finally mentioned that when playing as Robot Masters, you don't fight your own copy in their stage. Instead, you get what we'll see in our second of two boss battles today since that's content worth showing off. See you next, Time Man.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8D) Time Man Packs [Construction]

Pendulums aplenty in this penultimate pack pickup p...video. Dang.

Anyway, since I don't intend on doing the clip show bonus video right away, have a look at Proto Man in action, even if he steals the spotlight from the slickest bot in the game.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9D) Guts Man Packs [Construction]

This final Construction Pack collection video is not the final one overall. Excluding the bonus one that I will put off until an undetermined date, I still have one last thing I want to do. That is to go back with our new packs and try to create a semi-decent stage. If I know what I'm doing, and I'm not sure on that whatsoever, I will upload it via some hosting service so you can download it to your PSP Memory Stick

or emulator

along with my current save file.

I'll do my best, but no promises. I can't believe this is almost done now!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10) An Oiltimate End [Construction]

In September 2013, I recorded the intro stage of Mega Man's run through New Style mode in Powered Up. I didn't think it would take 1108 days to get here, but tonight is the night that it all comes to an end (even though there's still a bonus video down the road that I have no desire to do right now). It's one of the best Mega Man games ever made, but man, did this project not always go well. Enjoy the created stage, which you all can download if you want, and a dude that rambles on for about ten minutes about how this all went down.

Thanks for watching and know that Oil Slider will always be a good utility weapon. Peace.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Metroid: Zero Mission)

Post by Bean »

(1) Brinstar to Kraid's Lair / (1-Silent)

Metroid: Zero Mission, a GBA remake of the original NES game, was unfortunately overshadowed by the impending release of the Nintendo DS. Because of it being ignored, it wound up being the last 2D Metroid game on store shelves. The fan base was not at peace. Oh well. It was and still is a pretty fun game that takes what I think is a flawed NES original and gives it a major coat of upgrade paint. Super and Fusion's influences here are plentiful, but I think it goes even above and beyond those by refining the controls further and throwing in a lot of extra and brand new content on top of that.

I'm throwing down two versions of this run. The gameplay's the same in both, so it's your call whether you want to just watch the game or have me here speaking over it. Hoping to get another couple of videos done before the end of the weekend so I can get this started for everyone, but for now, let's get this Morph Ball rolling.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Kraid, Speed Booster, & Super Missiles / (2-Silent)

After all the running around in part one, it's time to focus on hunting down our first true boss of the game in Kraid. His lair has a little bit of a roundabout to it at first, but after you've activated the lift system and taken the optional path for the map, you can head on down into the belly of the beast. He's not too hard of a boss whether you're fast at fighting him or not, but you'll be fast either way once he is since Kraid was blocking the way to the Speed Booster.

You'll see that I really enjoy this item over the course of this playthrough, even if it always takes me a bit of getting used to once I do get my hands on it. As a result, we get a sort of sequence break but not really when you think about it in our first Super Missile tank on top of that. Getting this one now will make life easier later on in an 100% speed run, so you might as well learn how to properly Shinespark for this thing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Varia Suit to Ridley's Lair / (3-Silent)

Things are heati... Oh, let's just grab the Varia Suit and not have to worry about most of the hot stuff already. With that, this is more of a cool down episode than anything as we stock Samus up in preparation for a showdown with a certain someone next time. Who could it be?
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Man. Whenever I play Zero Mission (the most recent playthrough being last year), I tend to sequence break like crazy. I'm good at bomb jumping, so I've gone for the Varia Suit early several times (on cart; no save states). It's... a thing. But it's nice having it early.

That said, I went too far with my sequence breaking last time, and somehow found myself in Ridley's lair without the Speed Booster. I don't quite remember *how*, or what exactly I was *trying* to do... but I was surprised to find that you can't actually get *out* of that lower section of Norfair until you defeat Ridley and the path to the right of the elevator down to his lair opens up. I did, however, get the Screw Attack early, so that was helpful. :P

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

This game brought back all the fun that Fusion tried to take out. I like that one, but man, it was way too linear for a Metroid game and had too many text breaks. This one includes all that sequence break stuff and throws in a lot of hard to get items that means playing around with the abilities you have. That's what I really enjoy about Zero Mission. It's a playground game.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

I'd say that Fusion and Zero Mission are probably my favorite 2D Metroids for the exact opposite reasons.

I loved Fusion's storytelling, what with the constant tension of being stalked by an almost invincible enemy, constantly surprising you with how intelligent it is. I didn't mind the linearity, since I felt that it added to the intentionally claustrophobic nature of the game. And I liked how Samus was at her weakest and most vulnerable at the start, but ends up, in the end, quite possibly more powerful than she ever was.

And then, as you said, Zero Mission brought back the story-light, exploration-based setting, with all manner of alternate routes and sequence breaks, which I also appreciated. I wasn't wild about the overly-long stealth section near the end, but at least the game makes up for that by just letting you tear through the enemies that pursued you once you hit the end of that sequence. (Also, Zero Mission is remarkably easy, especially compared to Fusion.)

Yeah, I know. I'm "supposed" to like Super Metroid the best, and I do really love that game. I just happen to like the GBA ones more. (Also, I'm not one who, for the most part, likes the most popular game in a series the most. My favorite 2D Zelda would probably be Oracle of Ages, and my favorite 3D Zelda is Wind Waker, for instance. Not the expected Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. :P )

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah. When Metroid nails that isolation atmosphere like it did in Fusion and Prime 2, it was a lot of fun. Just thought both of them had things that were to the detriment of the whole playing the game thing at times was all. Oh well. Still enjoyable games to me.

(4) Ridley & Screw Attack to Tourian / (4-Silent)

And while this might be my favorite Metroid, the first few minutes of this video are a thing I remember vividly for the wrong reasons. See, this is when you have to know how to put your skills to use to get some items. It's not that it is a bad part, it's that I was bad at getting all of this in one go. At least we have the chance to settle the score with Ridley which isn't too terribly tough considering this is one of his easiest incarnations. Still, after showing a modicum of skill, we'll go back to another part I botched a few times when trying to get it done.

It's kind of more natural this way since unlike all those Mega Man no-hit runs I've done over the years, minor mistakes get left in while also bringing up the spots that caused major issues. This part of the run had the most of those spots without a doubt.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Mother Brain, Zero Suit Stealth, & Gravity Suit / (5-Silent)

This is the section of the game that is the most linear, but that doesn't take away the fun since there's a lot to do here. Going to ice the Metroids, bust up Mother Brain, and then realize why this game is called Zero Mission. Yeah, it's a stealth section since we have zero suit of armor to work with. While it is pretty much the most dangerous part in the entire game, it can be done by constantly setting off the alarms if you want. Of course, it can also be done by skilled players without alerting the enemies once.

I wound up settling with the first of two successful runs I did on that segment because I wanted the more natural take to be shown this time around. I think it was the right choice even if it means missing out on one of the two shortcuts I know of in this part. Not like there aren't going to be a ton of shortcuts and flying around next time anyway.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Power Bombs to Wherever We Want / (6-Silent)

Listening to that commentary, I'm having a little more fun and less nerves with talking over this. It's probably because I'm having quite a bit of fun seeing Samus be so strong that nothing is going to stand in her way of going for 100% outside of whether or not I can press the right buttons here. The first minute is definitely a challenge in that department, but once that's out of the way, it's time to find the ancient mystery Chozo artifact that is in the title of the video and start our item collecting. That's going to last until next time, but next will also be the last time as I'm taking the rest of this game down then.