(shouting)

S. Mario: The S stands for "Shine"

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
DWebb32

Re: S. Mario: The S stands for "Shine"

Post by DWebb32 »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:Seeing as raocow is a completionist, I don't think he's going to just stop midgame on a whim. Personally, I enjoyed the last few levels... I just felt there needed to be a huge bossfight or something to make it feel more complete.
even having a credit roll at the end would have been nice
If raocow continues playing smario, I don't think the game will get old. If anything, world 3 will feel climactic in that it is LITERALLY every single thing that raocow struggles with combined together.
question, did u play the last few levels with savestates?
if so, i agree that they are pretty enjoyable and fun, but i can't even imagine doing them toolless like raocow would like to.
Strike Reyhi

Post by Strike Reyhi »

at first some of this hack looked fun. I think it's past that point, it just looks pointlessly hard now.

I mean, I get it, japanese romhack. for sadists, obviously. but ew, if like you guys say this hack only gets worse all I can say is raocow should at least use some checkpoint states.
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

peteyboo wrote:I would strongly advise against it. It starts out hard and only gets harder. Your intro video would be interrupted 10 seconds in by death.

If you were to do this, I would save it until after Nitroid, use it as a b-side, and upload as you are able to complete the level (you will almost definitely never get more than one per video).
lol <_<
Haumea

Post by Haumea »

hey Hyper VI is out, that can't be this hard... I think?

If it really is as difficult as is being said here, then yes it should be a b-side "upload upon progress/when rao feels like playing" sort of thing. Like Nitroid! is now. Then it will be sort of an optional "stress" button that rao can press on his happier days.

just my 2c.
[11:22] <Haumea> people are very fond of keeping their blood IN their bodies
[11:23] <Haumea> when you remove it they get fussy
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

This game is more difficult to play normally than anything before World 8 in Hyper 6 while talking.

I stopped after the second castle, so I don't know how much worse it will get.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Well, that last level did look fun. Honestly, i think rao has been through worse than that.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

This hack is ridiculously brutal. I couldn't ever imagine playing this myself. Once again, I admire your determination, raocow.

I'm pretty sure the music in 12 was not the Megaman X boss tune, but a Final Fantasy 8 battle theme or something. I never played that game, so I'm not sure.
In case you know: When you said that, it didn't sound like a non-sequitur to me...

I totally expected that message box in 13 to say "Never put a message box in layer 3!", be in layer 3 and crash the game. This seems totally like something the game would do.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

Haumea wrote:hey Hyper VI is out, that can't be this hard... I think?

If it really is as difficult as is being said here, then yes it should be a b-side "upload upon progress/when rao feels like playing" sort of thing. Like Nitroid! is now. Then it will be sort of an optional "stress" button that rao can press on his happier days.

just my 2c.
Rao already mentioned he very likely won't be doing Hyper 6, and even if he did it wouldn't be a blind LP as he's seen many of the levels done by other LPers. I personally wouldn't recommend Hyper 6 due to the handful of infuriating bugs and poor design decisions, but there's also a lot of good in it so it wouldn't be a complete waste.

Also while I'm here it's pretty irritating that people are calling this a bad hack when it's clearly designed for people with very high skill. Other than the colored kill blocks it's quite polished.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

McCrunchy wrote:Also while I'm here it's pretty irritating that people are calling this a bad hack when it's clearly designed for people with very high skill.
Raofans like to form opinions on things based on (1) how well raocow performed in the level itself and (2) his viewpoint on the level itself. Most common exception is when it's something that he made or is associated with himself, then praise or "forgivence" (sp) is more likely.

However, the levels that were shown so far are seriously pushing it into ridiculous territory.
Other than the colored kill blocks it's quite polished.
The Japanese community tend not to care about presentation all that much as you can see numerous things that is recurring between many of the games raocow LP'd. Which things? Bad palettes with status bar, directly adding object 0F (the vertical pipes) into screens where they'll display a shitty palette instead of using some Map16 tiles from another palette, not disabling color 64's animation in areas where it would be a good idea, using the exact same Yoshi's Island blocks for On/Off graphics, not using Map 16 that often (cloud midpoint tiles), and so forth.
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

MrDeePay wrote:However, the levels that were shown so far are seriously pushing it into ridiculous territory.
I find ridiculous to be completely legitimate as long as the target players are people of very high skill, which seems to be implied.
(cloud midpoint tiles)
I have a feeling this is a Japanese hacking community meme to be honest.
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

DWebb32 wrote:
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:Seeing as raocow is a completionist, I don't think he's going to just stop midgame on a whim. Personally, I enjoyed the last few levels... I just felt there needed to be a huge bossfight or something to make it feel more complete.
If raocow continues playing smario, I don't think the game will get old. If anything, world 3 will feel climactic in that it is LITERALLY every single thing that raocow struggles with combined together.
if so, i agree that they are pretty enjoyable and fun, but i can't even imagine doing them toolless like raocow would like to.
While I did beat them all tooless, I went into lunar magic and changed a certain block type to be visible in the last level. If you have beaten the game you know what I'm talking about
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
kilon

Post by kilon »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:
DWebb32 wrote:
While I did beat them all tooless, I went into lunar magic and changed a certain block type to be visible in the last level. If you have beaten the game you know what I'm talking about
I don't know what you're talking about, but the idea alone scares me. Poor raocow...
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

Octagon wrote: I'm pretty sure the music in 12 was not the Megaman X boss tune, but a Final Fantasy 8 battle theme or something. I never played that game, so I'm not sure.
You're an idiot.

(Besides, isn't VIII hated universally by everyone except emo kids?)
One day, an image will return
freelop

Post by freelop »

heycallmeZe wrote:
Octagon wrote: I'm pretty sure the music in 12 was not the Megaman X boss tune, but a Final Fantasy 8 battle theme or something. I never played that game, so I'm not sure.
You're an idiot.

(Besides, isn't VIII hated universally by everyone except emo kids?)
I liked VIII and I am not emo

I also liked XII
Octagon
zentraidon

Post by Octagon »

I repeat, I never played it. I heard some pretty terrible things about it as well, but some of the music is really great, and I also read a positive review of the game by someone who's awesome and definitely not an emo kid.
Last edited by Octagon 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DWebb32

Post by DWebb32 »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:
DWebb32 wrote:
1. I just replayed the last level and I'm not sure what you're talking about,
unless you're talking about the part with the p-switch puzzle while jumping on the disco shell where you will randomly stop moving horizontally
2. that level doesn't strike me as fun to play toolless. I'm sure it's possible, but i wouldn't want to do it as the combination of gimmicks and gameplay elements are just a little much in some points
think of the koopa jumping combined with the wind, not that easy to learn, and it's not early in the level so getting there consistently wouldn't be easy either
also note that i do not claim to be anywhere near the best mario player, as i just play romhacks for fun, and while i'm sure both you and raocow are better than me, i still don't see how playing those levels toolless could be fun
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm seriously considering, if not savescumming, at the very least 'heavily custome checkpointing' the rest of the game. Like, I'm sure I could eventually carve my way through the final levels but from everything that I'm hearing it's a ridiculously unfun experience, and I'd rather be done with the game than having TWO games that have a staggered release schedule.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

I think that would be fine. This game doesn't even pretend to be fair. Hyper 6 is almost universally fair in that you're usually not relying on pure luck or crazy precision, and the parts that are like that are relatively short instead of the whole level. You would certainly be able to do everything I've done in that game toolless, but I don't see anyone with a schedule getting this one done, especially, as you say, because you still have Nitroid. And hell, maybe it'll actually prove to be good entertainment.
freelop

Post by freelop »

I think I noticed dragon coins, have you considered giving yourself a checkpoint at each one or would the game still be too much agro?
anonymousbl00dlust

raocow wrote:I'm seriously considering, if not savescumming, at the very least 'heavily custome checkpointing' the rest of the game. Like, I'm sure I could eventually carve my way through the final levels but from everything that I'm hearing it's a ridiculously unfun experience, and I'd rather be done with the game than having TWO games that have a staggered release schedule.
You have to remember that 99% of peeps overreacted and said that the whole game was impossible/unfun when it was first suggested. Honestly, it isn't really that hard. The levels are slightly harder than what you've done sofar, but they are totally doable and really enjoyable.

Don't let people influence your decision before you even get a chance to see it yourself. That's just silly.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Dude. I did NOT have fun doing the latest level, and I have all reasons to believe it just gets worse from there.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Octagon
zentraidon

Post by Octagon »

Don't be ashamed to use savestates, raocow. Playing this normally isn't fun for you anymore, and this should be the most important criterion to decide this. Watching you suffer was sort of painful for me as well, and I'm sure many other viewers felt similarly. This game is flat out unfair, and as it's in a way supposed to be unpleasant to play, rebalancing it in your favour by utilizing artificial checkpoints should enhance the experience both for you and your viewers.
That's just my two cents though.
Alex wrote:Because that's relevant to the LP.
Sorry. I'm quite used to temporary topic derailment from HCBailly's forum (which doesn't even allow creating new topics and most of the time only consists of LP discussion threads and a chatboxy off-topic discussion which is too fast to keep up with).
Cup

Post by Cup »

I wasn't really a proponent of rushing or skipping the last few levels because they were too hard to be fun (they were pretty hard though), but because they're just more of the same fare.

The thing that made this hack fun for me was solely the creative difficulty, which I think it did pretty well in the first two worlds. In the last world though, the creativity seemed to run out. The hack was never the most polished, but polish starts to wane as you near the end as well. There's still a lot of good in there, but not really any new gimmicks or variations to the kind of level design we've been seeing. And that's fine, but it's the fact that it's hard, and kind of unpolished, and level design/gimmicks we've seen, that makes me thing the fans won't take the videos very well unless raocow stays super upbeat, which is hard to do when the levels are this hard.
anonymousbl00dlust

raocow wrote:Dude. I did NOT have fun doing the latest level, and I have all reasons to believe it just gets worse from there.
That gimmick never returns. Yeah it gets harder, but its a different kind of hard. A more enjoyable one. The levels give you way more let, but they ask you to endure a bit longer. Castle 2 is the most difficult precision level.
Essentially the next two levels are just "the best gimmicks of this hack in review" levels.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:Honestly, it isn't really that hard. The levels are slightly harder than what you've done sofar, but they are totally doable and really enjoyable.
Are you sure you've been watching the same videos as the rest of us?