(shouting)

S. Mario: The S stands for "Shine"

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
kilon

Re: S. Mario: The S stands for "Shine"

Post by kilon »

wind was the last straw.. makes sense.

Also this video had the best commentary of mario lps in a long time (not counting the complaining about the game parts). Then again, I'm one of those fans. But it's a nice surprise to see commentary like this every now and then.
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

kilon wrote:wind was the last straw.. makes sense.
Yeah, as soon as I played that level for the first time I knew there was just no way we were going to see it tooless. It accomplishes what it set out to do but my god is it unfair. I actually went into lunar magic after the first death and added visibility and distinction to the wind directions.

Way to stick to it raocow. I know I've been striking up these arguments about savestates, but all that aside you did an awesome job with this game. Go play something easy ;)
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

Man, that could have used a midpoint *insert comparison to Hyper 6*
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

raocow is mad as hell, and he's not going to take it anymore.

Now, I'm not a fan of the suffering raocow genre in the slightest, but I have to confess I'm guilty of finding the rare moments where he's driven completely round the bend, flips out and starts slagging off the game with a razor-sharp but mirthless wit extremely (if perversely) amusing. I certainly wouldn't want to see that from him every day, or even semi-regularly, but that fact that it happens so rarely and so utterly contrasts with his normal, cheerful persona makes it screamingly hilarious. Hoo my.

Ah, but it's a shame that this started off as something of a thinking man's unreasonable hack, with each ridiculous obstacle demanding genuine strategies for getting around it, but then so quickly degenerated into generator abuse. Sometimes I think generators are the worst blight on SMW hacking there is--though they're perfectly possible to use as an effective, legitimate obstacle if the level is designed around them, they're far, far too easy to use as a a source of cheap and lazy difficulty. Using a generator means you have to be more careful about how you shape the terrain and populate it with other enemies, not less; you can't just toss one into a level not created with the generator in mind and expect it to make your level enjoyably challenging; it's just going to make you look like a lazy schmuck who can't be bothered to take the time to make a proper level. The same goes for the crazy control gimmicks as well, of course.

In any case, raocow, I think you learned an important lesson here--just because you're a masochist doesn't mean you have to enjoy any and all forms of sadism inflicted upon you. That's why they invented safe words, after all.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

There was a (invisible) midpoint. So both halves of the level are quite short and full of mushrooms. The two trickiest parts are probably bouncing on the bowser statue and bouncing on the disco shell, but you can run through either parta using the mushroom you get before it. It's not a completely impossible level.

I'm not saying raocow should go back and beat it. He was impaled on one of the game's earlier difficulty spikes (there's not supposed to be a curve, I think). S MARIO WINS, FATALITY.
dont wanna jihad no more
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

You know what would have made that tolerable? A "wind direction" indicator on the status bar. How hard would it be to ASM something like that into the game?
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

McCrunchy wrote:You know what would have made that tolerable? A "wind direction" indicator on the status bar. How hard would it be to ASM something like that into the game?
Really simple, actually. Still though, more of the "difficulty" seemed to come from actually reacting to the arbitrary changes in the wind itself, so I'd say any sort of indicator would have helped only slightly at best.

That level was pretty messy/atrocious though. Sadly, that sums up a good amount of this hack as a whole.
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

See, there's a way to do this without it being stupid. You have the 'wind' visible, of course, but you change it so it's metal things. Frying pans and buckets and stuff flying this way and that. <.<
This is actually a really good idea.
dashta

Post by dashta »

I must say, I'm personally glad you didn’t go back for another run. The design here seemed flawed to me from the get-go, with a few slices of brilliance here and there, and the general weird difficulty was extremely disconcerting, almost to unplayable levels.
While I must say you were in top form this time around, both commentary wise, and Mario skill wise, this was one of few series I had to sit out of a few videos on, because the whole thing just seemed painful.
You made it farther than anyone had any right to expect, and you basically showed off the entire game, regardless of how much of a toll it has taken on you. I see this LP as "finished", it showed off as much or more than any sane human being would play through, and I doubt the final moments would have been that spectacular anyway.
So yeah, kudos to you, and I for one am excited for the future!
VV My Channel, shameless advertising FTW! VV
http://www.youtube.com/user/daeshta?feature=mhee
GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I'm only doing this because Yonowaaru made me, blame him.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:
cozyduck wrote:
Ecco the dolphin discussion
I just wanted to add that, as someone who finished the Ecco games as well, I don't like the machine at all.
My personal experience is that it has several places where foreknowledge is necessary, as the level changes autoscrolling direction in very awkward places. I don't dislike the marathon aspect, but I disagree with anonymousbl00dlust's evaluation, because it's a mostly boring, easy level with several places that WILL take you off guard, but only once.
if what you are saying is true and you didn't use passwords for the boss then your reaction skills are better than mine, friend. everyone I've talked to about that game seems to share a similar fear for that level...

perhaps you found the autoscrolling levels in ecco 2 more difficult?
If you only care about Mario discussion, please skip ahead to the last paragraph.

Calling the Machine easy might have been too much. Don't misunderstand me, I do admit that if your metric for difficulty is only how much time you spend on a level, then the Machine is very hard. What I was trying to say is that all the meaningful difficulty comes from memorization. Once you learn the layout, however long that takes, it becomes easy to execute. Once I reached the boss, I almost never died anymore on the (many) subsequent playthroughs of the level until I had beaten said boss. Now you might say that one obviously becomes better at something over time, but the effect here is so extreme that I must conclude that it does not have much execution-type difficulty

I do think Ecco 2 has some autoscroll levels with harder execution, but they're so much shorter that beating them won't take nearly as long.

And now to get back on topic, as someone who also really dislikes any levels that mess with your controls, especially with wind, I don't have anything positive to say about todays level. There are ways to make levels which are just as hard as this one, but much more fun as well. It's regretable that the game had to end in a way that accentuates its weaknesses and not its strenghts.
Last edited by cozyduck 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Something else: Can anybody of you tell me where the bg of the first part of the final castle is from? :)
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
linlin

Post by linlin »

S.MariAri

jk
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

morsel/morceau wrote:There was a (invisible) midpoint.
This actually makes me a lot less annoyed with the level.
Not sure WHY he'd make an invisible mid-point, but at least the level is possible that way.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

It wasn't even 3 minutes into the video and he was getting angry. That's a record time.

It's too bad, because without the wind, it would be a genuine vanilla level, for the most part. Then again, S. Mario is a gimmick hack, which I like, but... the hack maker needs to know that you can't just "attach" a gimmick to a level and expect it to magically work. If you add a feature, you need to adapt the level to it.

I know that people in Youtube were defending the hack based on the fact that it has "Sadistic" in its name. But there's a clever, funny way to be that. To achieve such a design, you need to ensure that the level works in each step.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Thinking about the name 'sadistic' it's kinda a failed hack, isn't it? If it was going for "hard but playable without savestates" then it basically failed, and if it was going for kaizo it definitely failed, because by Kaizo standards this is pretty tame.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Kaizo is genuinely clever, because each step is thought through. It's a marathon of harder, but more definite, challenges.
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

how has no one else congradulated raocow on beating this game what is wrong with you people?

...WAIT, how am I the one making this comment?

SHENANIGANS I SAY :D :P
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

The youtube community already has, so whatever.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Cup

Post by Cup »

I was definitively disappointed by the way the hack ended. It showed a lot of promise after the first few levels and followed up with some genuine (albeit intermittent) cleverness, but world three just felt tacked on and messy. If Final stopped after the second castle, I'd say it was fun. Shame the whole thing just ends on such a down note.
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

Fish in the sky - impossible? La-Mulana is gonna have a word with you.

I missed your usual cheerful and talkative attitude during those more tormentous episodes. The episodes with checkpoints are a lot more fun than those before.
Congratulations on finishing this painful game.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone still have a copy of the patch for this hack? The link in the OP is dead now.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104494178/S%C3 ... 3%A2I1.ips

I found that in a "MARIO S" folder so I think it's the right one

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Judging by the title screen that appears to be it. Thanks a lot!
Mad Zookeeper

Post by Mad Zookeeper »

sorry to necro the heck out of this... but i was wondering if anyone knows where to get ahold of this anymore? the link in the first post doesn't work.
Just a guy in a place with a thing.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Mad Zookeeper wrote: 6 years ago sorry to necro the heck out of this... but i was wondering if anyone knows where to get ahold of this anymore? the link in the first post doesn't work.
http://smw.servegame.com:45726/db/0/022 ... fdf636338/
Is this it? Courtesy of SMWDB.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)