(shouting)

Psycho Waluigi - Extreme secondary character action

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Psycho Waluigi - Extreme secondary character action

Post by Sebby19 »

Good work on the final boss raocow! You did WAY better than how I did. I died to timeout twice on him. When that second boss music kicks in and you have less than 100 seconds, the tension is really high.

Psycho Iris is actually one of my more favored villians, since he actually tells the truth. His original intention is to just fuse with Waluigi and not betray him. In fact, he was even going to let Waluigi rule for awhile until he snaps. But then General Hazel had to mess things up.

About the final boss: The fight has two pieces of music, the first half has that techno 'WAAA', and after you remove half his health, the game saves the damage dealt and starts up the second music, with the crazy piano and more ominous music.
Music 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc06k7aGdpE
Music 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhlcvu71RYc

The creator said that Pyscho Iris is still in Waluigi's mind, dormant. His power does occasionally surface, like when Waluigi's eyes glow in Mario Tennis.
Another interesting fact I saw is that Bob-ombs and Piranha Plants are the only two Mario enemies too appear without change. Both are often associated with Waluigi.

I highly reccomend buying a MoneyBag and collector Coin!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
kilon

Post by kilon »

truthordeal wrote:Beautiful, beautiful game.

I came into this let's play being all like "Man I'm glad this game's only gonna last a few episodes," because he thought it was the demo. It just looked like a fan game about a character I didn't really care for. That and I guess the original low quality renderings were kind of a turn off. But I guess the bosses, the World 0, and that end game, all made me finally come around. It's too bad others weren't as stubborn as I was about watching the entire thing, otherwise they could've seen something great.
I'll just keep that in mind for some day when I'm bored and actually have more time to watch it.
Money

Post by Money »

raocow, I would at least get all forty crowns to see just what you get for it.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

That was basically Miracle Matter from Kirby 64!

That was such a long and well-made ending there. Much more content than a quick normal ending.
Roo

Post by Roo »

I dunno what everyone was talking about. I loved psycho Waluigi. It was super creative and had a great storyline. The end boss concept was awesome as well.

The only things I didn't like about it was the fact you lost everything when you died, and that screamer the game attempted in that static stage...

*shudder*
ImageImageImageImageImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Can someone explain that last scene in the game to me? It showed Hazel looking at the Waluigi statue and then walking away. Is it supposed to be foreshadowing to a sequel or something? Cause I didn't get it.
Melancholia

Post by Melancholia »

Ashanmaril wrote:Can someone explain that last scene in the game to me? It showed Hazel looking at the Waluigi statue and then walking away. Is it supposed to be foreshadowing to a sequel or something? Cause I didn't get it.
I'm almost certain it's because he was the one who finally managed to defeat Psycho Iris, their true foe. They may also think that Waluigi was only conquering the world because he was under Iris' control, considering that Waluigi "left" after beating Iris. If they interpret it that way then to them he's really just a hero who threw off the real tyrant and then disappeared into the sunset.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Melancholia wrote:
Ashanmaril wrote:Can someone explain that last scene in the game to me? It showed Hazel looking at the Waluigi statue and then walking away. Is it supposed to be foreshadowing to a sequel or something? Cause I didn't get it.
I'm almost certain it's because he was the one who finally managed to defeat Psycho Iris, their true foe. They may also think that Waluigi was only conquering the world because he was under Iris' control, considering that Waluigi "left" after beating Iris. If they interpret it that way then to them he's really just a hero who threw off the real tyrant and then disappeared into the sunset.
I'm pretty sure thats what it is more or less.

EDIT- btw raocow, in the Hazel level, those were people that Iris had used in the past, all of which had been defeated by Hazel herself.
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

I'm pretty sure the gallery of people we see after the scene of General Hazel and the last king sealing Psycho Iris (which, interestingly enough, means the two must be well over a century old, considering Psycho Irish mentioned being imprisoned for that length of time) is meant to represent the "others" Psycho Iris mentioned trying to conquer Unconcia with before partnering with Gammauigi. We also get confirmation that Psycho Irish is neither a "he" nor a "she", presumably being a one-of-a-kind entity.

But that was definitely an interesting way to handle the bonus stage, forgoing the expected super-hard level in favor of a somewhat more relaxed stage which provides us with a little bit of backstory, delivered with a nice bit of visual storytelling. I can't say I wasn't really expecting much of this game story-and-writing wise, but a must admit it surprised me quite a bit on this front, delivering something which was not only decidedly above-par for this sort of game in general, but which also very much captured the spirit of some of the better-scripted Mario games.

Which I suppose holds for much of the game overall. Aside from some of the more obvious graphical and musical borrowings, I'd say this game could pretty easily pass for one of the official Mario games. And as I mentioned before, the gameplay also seemed refreshingly different as well, even if I felt that some of the stages (especially around the midgame) could have made slightly better use of the possibilities it allowed for. What's more, this effect seemed to be amplified in this particular playthrough by the fact--and I suspect this may have been the source of many people not being too keen on this series--that raocow tended to, as someone phrased it earlierin this thread, "cheese" his way through so many of the levels, preventing us from really getting a good view of the level as was really intended to be played.

Then again, one could argue that it's the fault of the designer for making the game so that the "blindly plow forward" approach was a perfectly workable method for the first five words, but I suspect a sort of "choose your own difficulty" approach was actually intended here. Many comparisons were made between this game and Kirby, and the latter series has always taken a similar approach--indeed, in the SNES games, a player who is exceptionally awful even has the option of having a more-or-less infinitely regenerable computer-controlled character doing all the dirty work for them. So I imagine that sort of effect is what the game was intending by having levels that one could conceivably just tank one's way through, but offering a much larger challenge in the form of the crowns and the like. Still, I think moving both of these more toward the center, and having a somewhat more fundamentally challenging basic game and somewhat less unforgiving 100% challenge probably would have struck a better balance on the whole.

In any case, I suppose it speaks to the game's credit that I didn't particularly mind that it was Waluigi, of all possible characters, who was chosen as our protagonist. Did this change my opinion of him? No, he's still a boob, and still has an inappropriate Greek letter on his hat, but the game deserves some credit for at least trying to make something of him. I found it interesting that they tried to distinguish him from the more strictly avaricious Wario by making him more pro-actively nasty and power-hungry, and thus rather more of a pure villain than the anti-hero Wario would very quickly become. I recall when Wario Land first came out, it was frequently billed as "be the bad guy", yet it really wasn't, for while Wario is hardly a heroic figure, being motivated purely by self-interest and with the explicit goal of stealing other people's treasure, the people he is stealing from are themselves thieves, making his actions vaguely socially non-disapproved. Now admittedly, the anti-hero role ended up being a particularly good one for Wario--weird, twisted mirror image of Mario who still ends up battling evil albeit for purely selfish reasons is a much more interesting and versatile idea than the trite "Evil Mario!" he was initially imaged as--but I suppose we all still want our chance to actually play as the true villain of the story, actively fighting against people who are by all measures the "good guys", and winning. And that is indeed what this game supplies, so kudos for that in Mario context.

Still, I can't help but come off with the impression that Waluigi nevertheless comes off, as raocow so elegantly put it, as an "identitiless maniac". Wario always had a very distinct personality which comes through directly in the way he deals with his enemies and obstacles; every unique ability that Waluigi has, on the other hand, is directly granted to him by Psycho Iris, itself a much more interesting and colorfully drawn character, and one for whom Waluigi ultimately ends up feeling like something of a sock puppet. Indeed, we're even explicitly told that he's simply the last in a long line of such figures. Then again, considering how little Nintendo succeeded in doing with the character, I suppose even that portrayal is something of an accomplishment.

To sum--a pretty interesting and well-made (if not entirely flawless) game, and one which probably deserved a more attentive playthrough, as I couldn't shake the impression that between this and Nitroid, it sort of felt as though we've been getting two B-sides these past few weeks. Still, it wasn't too bad a watch in any case, and I certainly don't regret being made aware of the game in the first place.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Psycho Iris is a guy. He was the first large 'hologram' standing on that house, before the rogue's gallery of those three other characters I don't know about.

But was that last one Bonk?

Completing the boss rush nets you an automatic Gold Crown, no money required.

There are two more secrets in the game, and I'll put them in spoilers:

For 40 Gold Crowns:
General Hazel is playable in the main game. You can switch back and forth with Waluigi with spacebar on the World select screen.
For buying all the Commemarative Coins an unlocking above:
Normally when you buy all the coins, they are replaced by a free cookie. However, unlocking Hazelnut has a final item appear in that slot. Buy the item, click it on the world select, then go to any normal level or the shop. Click your Iris, and it will capture your mouse!
This was a statement by the creator to those who wanted the Iris to be mouse controlled.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Rameau's Nephew wrote:Stuff about Waluigi's lack of identity.
While I don't necessarily completely disagree with you, I do want to point out that while Waluigi was completely identityless in his introduction to Mario's World in Mario Tennis (Or was it in Mario Party 3? I forgot), he has been since given quite a bit of personality by Nintendo, mostly to be seen in games like both Mario strikers, but also in later Mario Parties.
Unlike Wario, whose main characteristic is greed, Waluigi is mostly defined by being a weirdo and a creep, which I find oddly fitting, as he is just some random guy who decided to follow Wario one day after all, and why would any sane person do that?
Waluigi is the closest nintendo has to a classic cartoon villain, and I would be delighted to see him bind a damsel in distress to some train tracks one day.
This is also another reason why I like his characterization in this game, as I find it rather fitting with Nintendo's own canon, although arguably Wario might have worked as well.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

That was quite a touching end to it. And then the chipmunk editing spoiled it. ;) Oh well.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

cozyduck wrote:More about Waluigi's identity.
And also Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix!

Sure it's just DDR for babies but he's still a world boss in that game!
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Hey, what was the BGM in the 2nd last video, during the Hazel robot fight? I've heard it from some other LP in a different context.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I can see where you're all coming from with not finding much to like about Waluigi, but he's one of my favorite Nintendo characters.

I think this game got him right during the cutscenes: Incredibly thrilled to find a tank or a plane he can hijack and plow around shooting things. Driving about "distributing" gold statues of himself en masse by firing them randomly. He's incredibly egotistical in a really playful way.
Wheras Wario will do anything (good or evil) for wealth, Waluigi wants nothing but to feed his ego. Conquering kingdoms is the perfect setup for that, many kudos to the creator for such a good idea (and such a good execution, too). I could totally see him playing an awkward "antihero" role too: he hates seeing Mario show him up by defeating the Big Baddie every time, and now it's HIS turn to burst into the boss fight and get all the accolades for saving the world. Though a prolonged quest to save the world would probably bore him after a few stages -- conquering the world is much more fun on a level-by-level basis.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

That was a really neat level. I never really imagined having the back story of a game explained DURING a level. Especially in a game that you wouldn't even expect to have that complex of a story. Usually games like this are just "OH MAN! Look! A complication! Do something about it!", and while this game started off like that, it ended up being a lot deeper than you'd expect. I liked it.
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

a0n0o0m0a0l0y wrote:Hey, what was the BGM in the 2nd last video, during the Hazel robot fight? I've heard it from some other LP in a different context.
It's a song from DDR Mario Mix.
LaularuKyrumo

Post by LaularuKyrumo »

Ashanmaril wrote:The name, "Static Void" reminds me of the opening code line in Java that I have no idea what purpose it serves:
public static void Main(String args[])
public: keyword stating that the Main method can be accessed by code outside of the class it is defined in.

static: keyword stating that the Main method can be called directly from the class, and does not need to be called directly from an instance of that class (an object)

void: keyword stating the variable or object type that the method returns. Void means it returns nothing.

String args[]: The name of an argument that the method takes. It takes an array of String variables--specifically, the arguments you can pass when you call the program from the command line. Rarely will you do anything with this array, though.

edit: latest post ever
"Excuse me, I should be allowed to play Kaizo of my own volition and then spend every episode complaining and asking "why did I play this???" while savescumming."
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I think in Java if you try to return something from a void function, it's an error.

Or maybe it's only my IDE that scolds me, I can't remember.