(shouting)

The Super Metroid Legacy Discussion thread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BlackDS

The Super Metroid Legacy Discussion thread

Post by BlackDS »

(oh hey look, a thread by me that is useful)
My thread is popular! My thread is popular! :D
Well, its the Metroid hack thread, start discussing! Well, tomorrow, but still, you can post about anticipation for the beggining of a new thing! :D

Hint time with FirePhoenix!

Well the LP isn't scheduled to begin until either tomorrow or like, the day after or something, but I figure I can give raocow some general advice for the game considering he said he hasn't played Super Metroid in a long time. So here's my general advice to you.

-> Exploration is key. The game, while easy for a romhack, is still a bit of a challenge. Search around for those hidden missiles and upgrades.
-> Don't be afraid to use your missiles. Sometimes it's better to use missiles if it'll save you from taking a hit, like in the case of the jumping sidehopper enemies.
-> IMPORTANT POINT; Be incredibly suspicious of everything you see. If ANYTHING looks out of place, drop bombs and check. Gaps in patterns are a big indicator of these. There will be times in the game where you must look for a slightly different looking block to proceed so keep your eyes peeled.
-> Certain walls are walkthrough. This also follows the same thing with the suspicion remark, but it's not always obvious that a wall can be passed through.
-> If you run across a dead end without some sort of prize nearby, be suspicious of it and shoot/bomb the floors, walls and ceilings.
-> Items and hidden passageways can be hidden in any type of room, elevator rooms included. (Save rooms excluded)
-> You shouldn't need to walljump at any point in the game to complete it so if you find yourself unable to reach a ledge, chances are you should come back when you can jump higher. (The one exception is if you can't get onto a ledge by what looks like a few pixels, use a spin jump to get to it. Spin jump allows a tiny bit higher jump clearance.)
-> As an addendum to this, once you get the speed booster, you can increase your jump height by jumping while dashing.
-> Don't forget about the Dash Button. You'll need it not only for activating Speed Booster, but also to run across certain crumbling block bridges occasionally.
-> When fighting Phantoon, the ghost boss, your best defense is the Pseudo Screw Attack, which is achieved by charging your beam and doing a spin jump. It allows you to jump through his blue flames without getting hurt.
-> If something looks breakable, use bombs to see if it is or not and what you can break it with.
-> Save Stations SHOULD work in theory, but it's always a good idea to have a savestate save as a backup. That and you'll likely need to use them because save stations are often few and far between in rom hacks. Also, when saving at a station, make sure it goes through a little animation and then says save complete. If it doesn't, you probably hit the B button to cancel the save and you'll have to exit and re-enter the room to make the save prompt reappear.

I'll add to this list the more I replay through the game ahead of you. I'm also planning on dropping a few obscure hints as you progress because there's at least one instance of a required item being sort of blindly hidden, and just in general there will be more room-specific things I'll try and mention as you near them.

With that, let the discussion begin!

I feel violated! :cry:
Last edited by BlackDS 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
^"that is like the quotse of the year"
Do not deny it
My personal goal is to make 200 great posts.
Take my postcount, and subtract 1400.
Thats how many good posts i've made
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: The Super Metroid Legacy Discussion thread

Post by raocow »

Tomorrow won't have a video for this, as the link for the rom Phoenix gave me doesn't quite work, but it's good to have the thread ready anyway!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Oh damn it there would be a thread I didn't notice already wouldn't there. And I spent all that time making my list of advices.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Hope nobody minds, but I've basically taken FP's op and edited in BDS's op, so as to consolidate both threads together.
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

Ah that's great. I didn't know if the forum had thread merging capabilities but it seems it does, so that's great.
emjay

Post by emjay »

raocow wrote:Tomorrow won't have a video for this, as the link for the rom Phoenix gave me doesn't quite work, but it's good to have the thread ready anyway!
I think theres only a patch for headered roms, you can patch it but you wont be able to start the actual game. Google SMILE its an editor for SM and you should be able to add the header to your rom (Tools -> header)
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

The problem got taken care of last night via PMs. He's all good to go for recording now.
kilon

Post by kilon »

Although I don't really played any Metroid game. (there! I said it) and therefore don't know much about it, I'm still looking forward to it. I\m just curious to see how well I'm able to follow it with my lack of knowledge.
TheNonBeliever

Post by TheNonBeliever »

no walljumping? this hack ain't worthy to witness my awesome walljumping skills
dk382

Post by dk382 »

raocow you have to promise me you wont get try to 100% in this. While it's on the easy side as far as the platforming and stuff goes, Legacy has extremely well hidden items, moreso than most other super metroid romhacks. I have a feeling that if you were to try to get 100% it would take many more hours than it otherwise would take and would just be pretty boring in general.

If you do, then you have to do something you hate and get a (good) guest commentator who actually knows what they're doing. Otherwise many of the items will be more or less impossible to find.
raocow

Post by raocow »

dk382 wrote:If you do, then you have to do something you hate and get a (good) guest commentator who actually knows what they're doing. Otherwise many of the items will be more or less impossible to find.
Or do like in AUS and not film most of my 'running around looking for things' ?
dk382

Post by dk382 »

Well then good luck I guess because Legacy will make AUS item collection look like the easiest thing ever.
TheNonBeliever

Post by TheNonBeliever »

raocow can definitely get 100%, if axeil can get 100% in his redesign lp, raocow can too,
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

To be fair, if raocow DOES want to go for 100%, there is a item map that was made. How accurate it truly is, I'm not sure since I haven't gone for 100% myself, but there is one.
dk382

Post by dk382 »

TheNonBeliever wrote:raocow can definitely get 100%, if axeil can get 100% in his redesign lp, raocow can too,
It's weird because redesign is a significantly more difficult hack but its items are also much easier to find. It STILL took axeil something like 18 hours to do, but, well, that's axeil. The only saving grace of that LP was porteus unrelentingly ripping into axeil and the time the Redesign author came in and guested with them and even played a little.
Kil

Post by Kil »

I hope this isn't like the other famous SM romhacks.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
TheNonBeliever

Post by TheNonBeliever »

Kil wrote:I hope this isn't like the other famous SM romhacks.
well it cant be as bad or hard as super metroid impossible
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

It's famous for being one of the first fullhacks but it's not a hard hack at all. Nor is there trick manipulation needed like mockballing, short charging, etc. There is shinesparking for 100% though, and walljumping never hurts if you know how to do it.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

I gotta say I'm actually looking forward to this LP. And it's not a smw hack!

This has gotta be some sort of paradox.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
TheNonBeliever

Post by TheNonBeliever »

i wonder, can someone pm me a working rom that will play this, i tried to patch a super metroid rom but it didnt work, if its allowed
Zeeco

Post by Zeeco »

Anyone have any advice? I'd like to play the hack for myself before raocow's LP, so I downloaded it, I patched the rom successfully and all that, no problems there, and it plays perfectly fine. But the problem is, as soon as the opening cutscenes end and Samus flies into Ceres and all, the game just fades to black. It doesn't freeze, it just goes black and nothing happens.

Any idea what I could have done wrong?

EDIT: Problem solved.
Last edited by Zeeco 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Third Murderer

Post by Third Murderer »

Zeeco wrote:Anyone have any advice?
Try a different emulator, maybe? I haven't tried this hack, but I remember another Super Metroid hack I played (Super Metroid Redesign, I think?) didn't work in ZSNES. Or maybe it only worked in ZSNES. Something like that.
TheNonBeliever

Post by TheNonBeliever »

Third Murderer wrote:
Zeeco wrote:Anyone have any advice?
Try a different emulator, maybe? I haven't tried this hack, but I remember another Super Metroid hack I played (Super Metroid Redesign, I think?) didn't work in ZSNES. Or maybe it only worked in ZSNES. Something like that.
redesign didnt work with znes 1.4 but it works with 1.5
TheNonBeliever

Post by TheNonBeliever »

question to anyone who has beaten this hack, do you normally need the hi jump boots to get the wave beam? cause i just got it without them

edit: im stuck. im in the room where you get the charge beam, what do i do there?
BlackDS

Post by BlackDS »

Please no spoilers, didn't we have a problem with that when raocow was LPing AUS? Lets not start out on the wrong foot here. Wait..me? Acting mature? *dies*

Oh, and by the way, you need to do a screwattack to get to the hidden power tank in the 2nd room :P
^"that is like the quotse of the year"
Do not deny it
My personal goal is to make 200 great posts.
Take my postcount, and subtract 1400.
Thats how many good posts i've made