(shouting)

New SMWC contest thingy: the 9th Door: the series.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: New SMWC contest thingy: the 9th Door: the series.

Post by raocow »

Hey, so, peeps who have played these?
Is 'TheHoundSquad's entry even possible? I just kept glitching through blocks and couldn't ever get anywhere.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Scirel wrote:How the hell did that no-effort kaizo mess of 82 rank higher than 83's?
This was addressed in a previous contest actually (how one entry that was like, 50th place or something ranked higher than a 49th place that was quite a bit worse). The answer was given that if the judging goes over the course of a week or so, and the entries were split far apart (i.e. one was judged early in the week and one was judged later), there might be a bit of discrepancy due to simply "forgetting" how bad the first level was. You might find that this occurs a few times throughout the bottom half of the contest since all of the levels are pretty much equally mediocre. The two entries today, for instance, are pretty much equally bad but for different reasons, hence why their ranking is so close together.
raocow wrote:
Is 'TheHoundSquad's entry even possible? I just kept glitching through blocks and couldn't ever get anywhere.
Is that the vertical "wrapping" one (where you fall through the floor and end up at the ceiling)? If so, it's possible, but it glitches out about 75% of the time at one specific spot .. hence the super low ranking.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Looking at the comments, it's nice to see the YouTube base using their SMWC bias/ignorance once again.
Honestly, SMWC seems to love to make harsh judgement for hacks for the stupidest reasons. Yes, 83 was vastly superior to 82, however SMWC tends to be terrible judges at times. Even, I bet those top ten levels in this contest are made by those big-name hackers on SMWC. Never trust judgement from those people, they are biased and sometimes, just silly.
BlueJirachi 5 hours ago
Let's check the top 10, shall we?
1st: MajorasMask9 - Who? (Though I'll say that I absolutely love his SMWCP2 level.)
2nd: yoshicookiezeus - OK, here's one.
3rd: wagokoro - Japanese person that mostly does music.
4th: Ixtab - Doesn't even hack, mostly messes around with ASM.
5th: GN - Familiar name around here, but not a big one.
6th: Koops - Who?
7th: Atma/p4plus2 - Atma mostly does music, but not a big name hacker. P4P2 does ASM
8th: Tatrion - Who?
9th: Zeldara109 - YI Hacker
10th: AxemJinx - Not a big name, made a hack Rao tool-abused.

That's what... only ONE really? You could make an argument for Atma, I suppose.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

You mean Jimmy didn't win? raocow's groupies (or the graopies, as I like to call them) aren't going to be too happy about that!

EDIT: Actually, checking the comments...
@MrDeePay

It is not uncommon for people to be angry at stupidity, which SMWC seems to be full of by the truckload, especially for not letting Jimmy win.

But what do I know about the current situation, I just got here.
AndyRichterLUE 55 minutes ago
Hopefully these people are honest trolls and not serious(ly retarded).
dont wanna jihad no more
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Scirel wrote:How the hell did that no-effort kaizo mess of 82 rank higher than 83's?
Because 83 felt nothing like a door in the original SMW's castle would.

Was it a good Mario hack level and fun? Sure. Was it on-target for what was asked for in the contest? Nnnnnope.

82 at least had some Bowser's castle vibe except then they barfed Kaizo all over it.
Last edited by Dollop of Mayo 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Pretty sure he DOES know, but he's saying the general audience wouldn't since Tatrion hasn't really been hacking since 2006-2007.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

I was using that in the context of big named SMWC hackers/modders and while Tatrion is before my time (Early 2008) and I assume he's been around since Acmlm's Board was SMWC before SMWC was SMWC, he's not really that much into the hacking scene in any notable context from what I've noticed. He seems more like a general knowledge type of guy to me, but SNN could chime in on that.

The rest of my comments on the top ten were addressing how much of a big name in SMWC are they and what it is in. There are some notable names (Atma, Zeldara, Ixtab, etc.), but they specialize primarily in other fields and are known more for that over actual level design.
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

Isn't AxemJinx the one who made Rise to the Challenge? raocow didn't savescrum his way through that, did he?
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Cup

Post by Cup »

S.N.N. wrote:Fun fact: this was the exact same sublevel that the author submitted as an attempt to fit into SMWCP, hence why he spams the world 3 boss throughout it.
Wait, shouldn't he have been flat out disqualified then since he didn't play along with the 24 hour thing, which I imagine was the main idea behind the contest?
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Yonowaaru wrote:Isn't AxemJinx the one who made Rise to the Challenge? raocow didn't savescrum his way through that, did he?
Yes I did, this was before a heavy thing fell on my head and I decided to play everything 'for real'.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Cup: Well, actually, the authenticity of the levels was something that came up when the contest was being planned (that is, how do we know some people didn't just grab a seemingly fitting level from their own hacks and submit it for this contest). Truth is, we'd have no way of knowing, hence why a tough theme such as the 9th door was picked. This was a case where I just happened to recognize it from him trying to stuff it into SMWCP, and I ended up just judging it while shaking my head sadly. If I didn't recognize this level, I probably would have given it about the same score anyway. It would have ended up in last place no matter what. To answer your question though, yes, it probably should have been disqualified, but it was such an awful attempt at trying to go unnoticed that it ended up just getting judged with the rest.

As for Tatrion: yeah, he's more of a general guy who came into the scene around the same time I did or maybe a bit later.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

S.N.N. wrote:I don't even think I sent the DQ'ed levels to him anyway, so there wouldn't have even been any magic to ruin.
You just ruined the magic again. :cry:
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Look at this pot and his post right above mine
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

That kaizo one was really entertaining to watch raocow try and play. I just found it funny how raocow was reacting.

Please don't take that the wrong way, I agree with everything raocow was saying, I just found it hilarious. :mrgreen:
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

Hammer brothers death montage all day long:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvYYzjyLfM8#t=13m00s

It is unreal how many times raocow died to that cool dude
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

I take it the Forgotten Hallway was forgotten due to its chocolate-teapot-level usefulness as a thoroughfare?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Why would someone put that in their level?
I mean really.

Even the hammer bro is pretty mean. I usually try to let them be hit from under because jumping on them can be pretty hard.
Davvic

Post by Davvic »

That spring board part was pretty insane. Even if the wall wasn't in the way, it wouldn't launch you high enough up. No idea how it was supposed to be done.
went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by went »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjyZvIYIqOc

The culprit says he moved a block for some reason before submitting the level, turning the whole puzzle virtually impossible. Not sure why would anybody do that. He does say the springboard jump is supposed to be ridiculous, though.
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

It actually IS doable, albeit it's extremely hard to pull off. If you line yourself up right you can phase through the corner, which I managed to do on my second playthrough of it.

It's worth noting that this level would have ranked a tad higher if it weren't for this major glitch.
Tatrion

Post by Tatrion »

MrDeePay wrote:8th: Tatrion - Who?
Hey, I know that guy!

Seriously though, um, since I was brought up, I figured I might as well say something. I was as surprised as anyone I got so high in the contest since, like I said in my post, I put my submission together in about 30-45 minutes before I went to work. I really didn't expect such a great score on it! As for whether there was bias involved, um, well, I may have done something "under the table" for SNN. Even though he promised me first after I did that for him </3

...okay, I have a lot of trouble making serious posts, I'm sorry. I'm really enjoying this series though, raocow, and if you're curious, I've been watching you since... *checks* Kirby's Dreamland 3! I love your sense of humor :)
Scirel

Post by Scirel »

Tatrion wrote:
...okay, I have a lot of trouble making serious posts, I'm sorry. I'm really enjoying this series though, raocow, and if you're curious, I've been watching you since... *checks* Kirby's Dreamland 3! I love your sense of humor :)
Heh, me too. These videos just really brighten up anything. I've lost 20 pounds while watching his videos on my Ipad while going on the treadmill. Exercise is hemorrhagingly boring otherwise.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Tatrion wrote:I put my submission together in about 30-45 minutes before I went to work.)
Most of the submissions that actually felt like a door and not a conglomerated mess of everything ranked high and took a small amount of time to make. It still confuses me as to why people felt like they needed to take the entire time period and construct an epic masterpiece (though to be fair, the amount of overly long levels in this contest isn't too bad).

The winners were ones who kept it short and stuck with a focus .. that is, a room which could have replaced any of the other eight doors and work.
McGack

Post by McGack »

well at least DDM seems to have the idea down hopefully more do, also wrap around derp
raocow

Post by raocow »

yet another video recording session that just leaves me completely drained