(shouting)

New SMWC contest thingy: the 9th Door: the series.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: New SMWC contest thingy: the 9th Door: the series.

Post by ano0maly »

Should the people re-release these levels as a "SMWC Hard Levels Collection"? Would that make this better? I wonder.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

kilon wrote:
S.N.N. wrote:Universities have this thing called a "bell curve", in which if the average for an entire class is below a certain percentage, it is bumped up.
I wish some of my teachers actually used that. It would made me pass a couple of courses (Theoretical Chemistry, I hate you!!)
Haha, at least in the first semester, our exam in TC was rigged so that everyone would pass. They simply declared the one problem that noone could solve as bonus.

After all, nobody in his right mind chooses TC anyway (it still interested me), so they want to keep anyone who sits in the lecture...isn't it like that where you studied?

Simon
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

But why do we care about the ranking so much? Isn't it more important how good each individual work is?
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

I once got a 105% on a test thanks to the bell curve! :P

One of the things I wonder about with regards to the difficulty curve and entries that don't compare well next to each other like they way they ended up, is if that's also a reflection of the romhacking "scene" and its preference towards more challenging hacks. I mean, in addition to the whole "Judging takes place over multiple days and aren't played in the same order that raocow's playing them" thing. Sort of like some people are just kind of desensitized to challenge 'cause they see every crappy hack that's hard for the sake of being hard, in a sense.
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

Alex wrote:
heycallmeZe wrote:Argumentable? I'd ship him with Alex.
I'm_ok_with_this.jpg
Good, we need to placate the yaoi fangirls somehow.

Anyone else feel like raocow's been set up by SMWC.net? It's like these low ranking ones are intended to drive him mad...
One day, an image will return
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

This contest was not made with the intention of this it LP'd by anyone (though many opt to do it anyway, such as TomPhanto) nor did SNN rank entries- or at least the low-scoring ones- with the intention of seeing raocow "rage" or his inevitable fanboys come in like yes-men that SNN would've known about.
Melancholia

Post by Melancholia »

I really can't feel sorry for raocow here. As he raged the one thing that kept coming to mind was "He's inflicting this on himself." There are many ways to make this more bearable and probably a better LP, but he's refused them. Hence, his fault.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I would respond to that, but I'll wait until tomorrow's video.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

My advice to all parties: deal with it
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Giygas60659

Post by Giygas60659 »

Argumentable wrote:My advice to all parties: deal with it
^ This. I don't understand why people can't just respect raocow's choices... If he chooses not to use tools then respect that decision.
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

Test Pilot Monkey wrote:It's like farting. In the right context (at home alone) it's OK; in others (in a job interview) it's disrespectful.
Disrespectful? Unfortunate, to be certain, but I'd scarcely call it disrespectful unless directed specifically at the interviewer. On the other hand, should you ever find yourself interviewing for a position which initially seems appealing, yet over the course of the discussion, the prospective employer reveals itself to be unreasonably demanding or outright abusive toward its employees, and you're seeking a means of appropriately expressing your indignation to the parties responsible, well...
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Giygas60659 wrote:
^ This. I don't understand why people can't just respect raocow's choices... If he chooses not to use tools then respect that decision.
But he did use tools. Several times.
Giygas60659

Post by Giygas60659 »

a0n0o0m0a0l0y wrote:
Giygas60659 wrote:
But he did use tools. Several times.
Well duh, the level was getting pretty ridiculous. Didn't you hear him at the en- aw nevermind. :|
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

It will all get better soon... it will all get better soon... it will all get better soooon.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

This LP is karma for the Freedomn breather episode, because that was just too darn enjoyable and easy. :mrgreen:
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

a0n0o0m0a0l0y wrote:But he did use tools. Several times.
Took him quite a long time to resort to them though. My patience would have run out far quicker.
Melancholia

Post by Melancholia »

Onyx3173 wrote:
a0n0o0m0a0l0y wrote:But he did use tools. Several times.
Took him quite a long time to resort to them though. My patience would have run out far quicker.
Better, I think, to have a better trigger for them then "I hate everything right now." Perhaps a time-limit-per-level before using tools? Subject himself to pain for ten minutes before just finishing it?
LUE Andy Richter

Post by LUE Andy Richter »

Today's level was TOTALLY cribbed from an existing hack the guy had. A custom boss, really?

Please tell me I'm right.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Today's level was kinda nice visually.
And yeah, the assumption that this level was actually made for this contest seems about right to me.

Furthermore, the usage of vanilla resources in a non-vanilla context like map16 editing is now declared as caramel.
Whatever :|
went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by went »

Well, designing a level like that in a single day must have been pretty hard.

Which I think is the main reason why there are so many levels that feel out of place- a good amount of people panicked and simply took a level they had already made and submitted it. So, of course, they are going to have a lot of chocolate and a lot of precission jumping and a ridiculous length. You can't add all that to a level and test it in such a short amount of time.

Of course, the whole point of the contest was precisely asking for small, simple things, so the hackers could show their creativity in other ways than adding custom bosses. Oh well.
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
Servant

Post by Servant »

MrDeePay wrote:This contest was not made with the intention of this it LP'd by anyone
MrDeePay: Since you have set yourself up as the unofficial Public Relations Representative of SMWC...was any level in this contest intended to be played at all? Or was this contest just an attempt by SMWCentral to refine the skills of all romhackers involved so that they could then produce better romhacks in the future (similar to writing excerises that are intended to help people write better)?
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Well if it's a 24 hour contest, then it's not much of a help when normally you're expected to take your time to produce a quality work.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Servant wrote:was any level in this contest intended to be played at all? Or was this contest just an attempt by SMWCentral to refine the skills of all romhackers involved so that they could then produce better romhacks in the future (similar to writing excerises that are intended to help people write better)?
I would imagine it was done for fun - something to get people on the forum involved. It's for the same reason The Spriter's Resource has sprite competitions and Mario Fangames Galaxy has minigame competitions.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

Tomorrow's video. It bucked the trend! I think we're officially past 'that' hurdle.

Instead we get a mixture of peeps who WILDLY misunderstood the contest, and some people who actually DID get it but did a hilariously mediocre job at it.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage