(shouting)

New SMWC contest thingy: the 9th Door: the series.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: New SMWC contest thingy: the 9th Door: the series.

Post by Sebby19 »

Wow, it sounded like raocow just went backward on his chair at the end.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

NGWU designed two levels for SMWCP2 (both at opposite ends of the spectrum - one in world 1, and one in world 8), and the difficulty of both is judged rather well. At the very least, he IS a competent designer when he's not trying to stuff pixel perfect jumps down one's throat.
megamario

Post by megamario »

So at what point do we get people that stick to a single room?
Also to a not silly degree of difficulty level

a chart would be fine

also can raocow judge levels for the next contest; serious analysis raocow is in my top 3 raocows
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Just wanted to ask if there will be a B-project since Nitroid has been finished now. It would be nice for those who are not really in this contest thingy...
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
megamario

Post by megamario »

Slit08 wrote:Just wanted to ask if there will be a B-project since Nitroid has been finished now. It would be nice for those who are not really in this contest thingy...
Nitori isn't finished. raocow still needs to actually beat Utsuho and then there's world 5 which ramps up the difficulty and length
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Slit08 wrote:Just wanted to ask if there will be a B-project since Nitroid has been finished now. It would be nice for those who are not really in this contest thingy...
He didn't even beat the boss he was on. Since when is not beating a boss equal to finished?
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The Doctor wrote:
He didn't even beat the boss he was on. Since when is not beating a boss equal to finished?
MariAri?

Seriously though, it's not finished yet, and raocow has said so in comments/description every day since.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Yeah I'm just taking a little break.

Also I'm looking foward to when I can end a contest video not feeling legit angry.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
megamario

Post by megamario »

raocow wrote:Yeah I'm just taking a little break.

Also I'm looking foward to when I can end a contest video not feeling legit angry.
Will it be the day you rage quit 75 - 11 and skip straight to the top 10?
McGack

Post by McGack »

Its kinda amazing that even this far down none of the muncher plants are in completely ridiculous positions, though I think if LuigiPikachu had stuck with the ice part it would have been better, I mean think of the small amount of ice levels in the original game, having it as a gimmick in bowser's castle would have been good

Notgoodwithusernames is jelly of everyone who is good with usernames and so makes levels made of hatred and muffins...... the muffins are an extra 5$ :cry: I got a good laugh at the bonus at the end though
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I bet if you just took out the layer 3 smasher that last room would've shot way up in rankings
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I like notgoodwithusernames' level because the difficulty was pretty cool. It was still hard but I like it when people can design fair hard levels.
S.N.N. wrote:NGWU designed two levels for SMWCP2 (both at opposite ends of the spectrum - one in world 1, and one in world 8), and the difficulty of both is judged rather well. At the very least, he IS a competent designer when he's not trying to stuff pixel perfect jumps down one's throat.
Oh I thought hard levels were all he made because that's what he tried to get into a2mt and didn't do much after that.
notgoodwithusernames

Post by notgoodwithusernames »

I'm somewhat surprise that the level was that hard for people. I mean I can get though it without any trouble. Maybe if I don't test the level so much with the slightest of change, like moving a sprite over a tile, I could of had a better chance of making it higher in the contest. Due of me getting so used to the level. However, I did like how the level turned out though because it was the first time I ever used the layer 3 smasher. And how the ceiling is set up in a way that you know where the smasher is going to hit. Just felt like that I accomplished something, even though it wasn't meant to be a kaizo type level.
I don't sign on here a whole bunch, so here are some contacts if you need to get a hold of me:

SMWCentral: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=profile&id=12089
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/notgoodwithusername5
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

The thing with your level is that it is entirely based on knowing what to do when. Of course it's going to be easy for you because you, well, know what to do, and when, haha.

For people who have yet to gain this knowledge, it's pretty much 100% learning by mistakes, and every mistake is a garanteed death. That is what makes it so difficult, it's that there is zero let. Zero room for mistakes. If you know what to do, yeah, it's super doable. But gaining that knowledge is very, very difficult.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Indeed. I could tell that level 76th keeps you on your toes in a really frustrating way because you are constantly at risk and requiring reflexes. Maybe you could've added some powerups and a little bit of space somewhere in the level to give Mario a moment to rest.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

One comment I read on YouTube said that the level would have probably scored quite a bit higher if the smasher was removed. I agree with this - if both the smasher and the beginning were dealt with, the level itself would have been much less of a chore and a lot less difficult to beat. It's certainly doable now (took me 7 tries or so), but the smasher is a case of complete overkill.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

S.N.N. wrote:One comment I read on YouTube said that the level would have probably scored quite a bit higher if the smasher was removed. I agree with this - if both the smasher and the beginning were dealt with, the level itself would have been much less of a chore and a lot less difficult to beat. It's certainly doable now (took me 7 tries or so), but the smasher is a case of complete overkill.
No I said it. It was me.

Or maybe it was on the comments too spoiler I don't read them but I like to leave dumb ones
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

notgoodwithusernames wrote:I'm somewhat surprise that the level was that hard for people. I mean I can get though it without any trouble.
Well of course you can get through without any trouble; you made the sublevel. This is a recurring problem with numerous levels that are considered too hard- the designer fails to compensate for how a blind player will take. Ideally a good to great level is one that the player could theoretically beat on their first attempt, assuming their reflexes are good enough. (And I don't mean in the sense of pixel perfect movement and the slightest error is immediate death.) It's even the same problem you had with Synchronized Sector before it got a complete reconstruction; endgame difficulty =/= ball busting, near-Kaizo without actually being Kaizo hard.

@MrDeePay
Shut the fuck up. You are literally the most obnoxious motherfucker here. Why don't you introduce a bullet to your skull, instead of whining about EVERYTHING
AndyRichterLUE
Amazing fans these people are.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

MrDeePay wrote:near-Kaizo
oh come on it's not that bad.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

@AndyRichterLUE

I disagree.
Personally, I've seen way more way obnoxiousie-er M@*%he&%uck*&s here, to name a few; [AOD], TLs4, raocow, o-card, aus...
No but seriously emotional comments like that don't reflect well on yourself or anyone else.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

MrDeePay wrote:
@MrDeePay
Shut the fuck up. You are literally the most obnoxious motherfucker here. Why don't you introduce a bullet to your skull, instead of whining about EVERYTHING
AndyRichterLUE
When did he say that?
Last edited by Ashan 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

1 hour ago.

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=fvYYzjyLfM8

But let's get to more pressing matters.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

MrDeePay wrote:
@MrDeePay
AndyRichterLUE
Is there any reason at all to drag this crap here instead of letting it rot in the wasteland that is Youtube comments?
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Looking strictly at it... I'd say no, though it is related to the nonsense of people bitching about SMWC again over trivial horseshit (though I'll admit fault myself; my grudge with Raofans is mostly on the YouTube side) and being misinformed in general. That was probably a troll response made to make Raofans look bad, though.

oh come on it's not that bad.
Honestly I'll have to side with you on that. "Near-Kaizo" was the most fitting response that came to my mind. I assume several entrants misinterpreted the meaning of the contest (in more ways than one) to do something like that, though I recall SNN saying he was somewhat purposely vague on that front.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

what the @ all this drama
MrDeePay wrote:I assume several entrants misinterpreted the meaning of the contest (in more ways than one) to do something like that, though I recall SNN saying he was somewhat purposely vague on that front.
I wanted to see what people would make of it. Needless to say, the vast majority of people did what I expected them to do (stray from the original feel of SMW).