(shouting)

Tips on how to attract viewers

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Average Man

Tips on how to attract viewers

Post by Average Man »

In this topic, we'll list different and effective ways to garner more viewers to watch your LPs without actually blantantly asking people to watch them. There must be hundreds of ways, so join in, won't ya?

Ask a friend if they enjoy a game that you so happen to be LPing.
Link people to funny vids and throw some of your vids in.
Sign up with the "THE List of LPers (who like to watch raocow LPs)" topic up top.
Create a topic called "Tips on how to attract viewers" to sneak one in.

=P
This sig is brought to you by Average Man.
Check out his LPs at http://www.youtube.com/AverageMan
TheNonBeliever

Re: Tips on how to attract viewers

Post by TheNonBeliever »

lp a brand new game on the day it is released, look at ssohpkc, he lped mothership zeta and got 1000 subs in 2 days, when i subscribed to him he had above 1000 subs, now he has more than raocow at 6000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Thing is, doing something won't last, unless he keeps buying new games, and that's essentially 'buying' your viewership.

Screw that man. If you want to be popular on youtube, you're doing something wrong.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
TLs4

Post by TLs4 »

raocow wrote:Thing is, doing something won't last, unless he keeps buying new games, and that's essentially 'buying' your viewership.

Screw that man. If you want to be popular on youtube, you're doing something wrong.
Seconded.
Shanara

Post by Shanara »

raocow wrote:Thing is, doing something won't last, unless he keeps buying new games, and that's essentially 'buying' your viewership.

Basically, I have to agree with raocow there. You see...

There're basically 2 kind of subcriptors: long term, and short term.

LPing a just released game SURE attracts tons of subcriptors, but, unless you have SOMETHING to offer them, they-re just there for the game, not for the LPer. They are short term subcriptors who won-t come back once your game's over. Sure, you can re-buy them, as raocow said, buying a similar game that's just released, and keep doing that ad eternam.... but, face it, they're NOT watching you: they're watching the game.

Sure thing, a small percentage of said subs will become long-term... but it's a SMALL percentage... and hell... even I got subcriptors when I recorded 1 cc touhou 7 for some friends, or SRW W clips.

On the other hand... There are some LPers out there... who are TRULLY famous for themselves. They can play Super Marisa World one day, and Loom (old early 90s game... most of you guys won't know it, anyway) next day, but they'll have a number of views. People won't go and watch the game, but the gamer.

I mean... Telepizza.... you know it, right? Well... they sell pizza, and bring them home. Now, Mama Delia... you probably won't know them. They're quite local here, in my city, but they also deliver pizzas. On their first couple months, they were cheaper and faster than telepizza... they were trying to secure some clients, and were using specials for that. Their problem was that they stopped them specials, and, well... they pretty much stopped working, or almost.

Now, extrapolate that to LPing. You can keep the specials going (buying fresh released games), but, if you stop that, you're out. If your entire gimmick is playing fresh released games, you HAVE to play fresh released games. If your gimmick is being a misogynist (well, some people would follow someone like that!) , you can't one day say that women are awesome.

I kinda understand people wanting to be youtube famous... I don't share it, but I kinda understand it. It's a kind of fame, after all... something that makes you bigger than your own life, that makes you touch other people, and influence their existances. But... you know... there's fame, and there's fame. Do you want to be famous for doing something you're NOT? I mean... I became sadly infamous in my school (during my teens). People thought I was an ultraviolent girl. Mostly 'cause I'm big, and I'm not afraid to stopping a fight, by means of force, if needed. It got to a point I just had to slowly stand up, and people would feel intimidated. The sad thing is people were AFRAID of me, who just wanted to protect them. My fame backfired me. Instead asking help from me, they fleed from me.

Now, in LP.... If you force yourself to play only just-released games, and you TRY and play an old game you like.... sure, you can play it. But people won't watch it. 'Cause people will expect you to play new games. You'll become "that guy who plays new games". And "that guy who plays new games" can't be playing a Mario hack, for example. Your audience won't like it, since your audience will preffer new games.

So, in short: JUST BE YOURSELF. If you're honestly having fun while playing, people will watch you. You don't really need 100k subcriptors. You just need 1 person who really enjoys watching you. That single person REALLY enjoying you is way more fullfilling than 100k people watching a game being played, because for that single person YOU are significant
ParadoxHotel

Post by ParadoxHotel »

ComradeLuigi wrote:lp a brand new game on the day it is released, look at ssohpkc, he lped mothership zeta and got 1000 subs in 2 days, when i subscribed to him he had above 1000 subs, now he has more than raocow at 6000
Funny you should mention this because some LPer just got resupurae-d for LP Wii Sports Resort the day it came out. Playing games should be about having fun and not about making youtube videos the second the game comes out. Having a ton of subscribers is just a luxury, not a necessity.
Love, Ire, and Lakitu!
Chernobog

Post by Chernobog »

Shanara wrote:...[big post]...
Here's a cookie for putting the time in to type all that, and good point. ::gives Shanara a cookie::
Average Man

Post by Average Man »

This topic sure took a different turn at Albuqurque, but yeah.

It should be about having fun and enjoying yourself. IMO, it's better if people tune in for the person, not the game. Getting tons of people into it is just a bonus (curse, if you see it that way).

(note: this topic was really about tips in general. I just did the sneak advertising for the rule of funny, just in case anyone was thinking i was begging for views)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I just want to remember you guys how HARD it was for me to stop being a 'mario hack lp-ing only fool', and convince people otherwise!!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

When you lp it shouldn't be to rack up e-popularity but to showcase games that are underappreciated or your personal favourites or to display an exceptional level of skill/knowledge that you have in a game

imho
TLs4

Post by TLs4 »

Being a 'new-guy' on the LP scene... what I've quickly realised is that you honestly should just be yourself and be UNIQUE.

Be yourself in the sense that I believe everyone in their own way, has some kind of unique charisma that will make their LP's interesting. There's no doubt in my mind that if I wanted to rip off raocow's style, or Sir Ron's style... I COULD... but why do that when you can already watch those guys!
TheChrisD

Post by TheChrisD »

Shanara wrote:If you're honestly having fun while playing, people will watch you. You don't really need 100k subcriptors. You just need 1 person who really enjoys watching you. That single person REALLY enjoying you is way more fullfilling than 100k people watching a game being played, because for that single person YOU are significant
You really don't know how much I hope that case applies to me, where one or two of my 14 subs actually enjoy watching me drop the swear bombs practically every ten seconds playing Pokémon, in comparison to the 93k people that watch the crummy Marriland just because he does much more almost as soon as it's released...
rubberfishy

Post by rubberfishy »

oh man, my post in this thread was removed, I guess it wasn't as funny as I thought it was. :P
vifs

Post by vifs »

rubberfishy wrote:oh man, my post in this thread was removed, I guess it wasn't as funny as I thought it was. :P
i laughed a bit at it
Image Image Image Image

http://www.youtube.com/user/vifs

<+Jcranjel> Today, I was sitting in Panera Bread, when they called out "Optimus Prime your bagel is ready." Casually a boy who looks about 7 walks up and takes it. He is my hero.MLIA
Caracc

Post by Caracc »

If you really want viewers, don't JUST LP. Some of my more popular videos are Lunar Magic tutorials, sure they didn't draw huge crowds but a little variety always helps a channel.
Pandemonium Fortress 2 is my personal best hack so far. Go on and play it.
vifs

Post by vifs »

Caracc wrote:If you really want viewers, don't JUST LP. Some of my more popular videos are Lunar Magic tutorials, sure they didn't draw huge crowds but a little variety always helps a channel.
I get a few viewers from cubing stuff I do, but I don't think alot of them watch my LP stuff :/
Image Image Image Image

http://www.youtube.com/user/vifs

<+Jcranjel> Today, I was sitting in Panera Bread, when they called out "Optimus Prime your bagel is ready." Casually a boy who looks about 7 walks up and takes it. He is my hero.MLIA
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Yeah, my "How to make a let's play" video has almost 1000 views.

But, all my LPs have about 30.

D:
Be yourself in the sense that I believe everyone in their own way, has some kind of unique charisma that will make their LP's interesting. There's no doubt in my mind that if I wanted to rip off raocow's style, or Sir Ron's style... I COULD... but why do that when you can already watch those guys!
I have a problem here. I sort off (well I wouldn't really call it a rip off) rip off raocow when I do LPs. Not because I'm trying to get viewers, or trying to be like him, It's just, well, to put it blatantly, that's how I talk. Seriously. I just watch raocow everyday, and I end up saying his catch phrases when I don't even mean too, in my everyday conversations.
Well whatever. I'm happy with my Lps, though I don't understand how I have 40 subscribers, but less than that many views on pretty much every one of my videos. >.>
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Average Man

Post by Average Man »

I tend to say, "hey mr. <enemy>, how do you do?"

but I'm not trying to copy raocow. it's just that after watching raocow's videos for so long, I kind ofpicked it up.

I think that's the only thing i picked up from him.
Koakuma

Post by Koakuma »

I think that it depends entirely on how good your LP is. Viewers always have a way of coming in somehow, but they will stay and recommend it to others only when you actually have a good LP. In other words, there is no secret trick to getting viewers - it's just the LP itself. It should just be a hobby anyways, so just do what you like, do what you think is best, or something.