(shouting)

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ - GRID!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ - GRID!

Post by camwoodstock »

MASTERPOST!
the direct consequence of a dev team that really loved the Sound Bomber mode from Mario Artist: Polygon Studio and a passion project for those involved, warioware inc ended up becoming something way larger than that; with its snappy gameplay formula and addictive high-score, high-adrenaline gameplay, the thing became WAY larger than it was expected to be.

as a result, it's now basically the face of Wario (aside from the Land platformers), as well as nintendo's darling when it comes time to test strange game design things or new hardware, and technically the lasting legacy of the Nintendo 64DD as well unless you're a true doshinhead like we are.

and now raocow Demo's playing it, after referencing it previously but never having played it before!

PLAY!
Image 1 - top ten radio stations to work out with
Image 2 - top fifteen boxing emails
Image 3 - top twenty-five uber triangles
Image 4 - top fifteen gameboy baseball rpgs
Image 5 - top fifteen ways to evade cops using a hammer
Image 6 - top twenty boxing emails you've already received
Image 7 - top fifteen earth defense toilets
Image 8 - top fifteen dancing bunny typos
Image 9 - top twenty-five sliding doors for clouds
Image 10 - top twenty more boxing emails you've already received but never even read
Image 11 - top twenty-five video game file types part 1
Image 12 - top five minigame ports you can play on your own
Image 13 - top four games you can kinda play on your own but you probably shouldn't + bonus!!
Image 14 - top four memories of pigs
Image END - 14.5 - top single hungriest bird

&: GRID!
&: Late into the project, the decision was made to turn the LP into and 100%, but with a twist; much like Mega Man Powered Up and Voxatron, clearing out the character grids for 100% would be done as an in-between project between other games.
&: Mini-Grid icons drawn by yours truly, based on the in-game ones!

Image Grid - 15 - dodge, stop, catch, aim, flee and attack me!
Image Grid - 16 - dress, dodge, collect, stomp, spotlight, grab and spar!
Image Grid - 17 - chop, bowl, toss, jump, shoot and bounce!
Image Grid - 18 - shoot, swing, balance, land, hurdle, and spike it!
Image Grid - 19 - catch, rally, sink, lift, defend and jump/duck it!
Image Grid - 20 - bounce, swim, jump, curl, jump again, finish and knock out!
Image Grid - 21 - complete!
Image Grid - 22 - trap, dodge, assemble, blast off, beam and dodge more!
Image Grid - 23 - land, get 5, dodge, dodge again, transform and count!
Image Grid - 24 - shoot, dodge, repel, shoot "?", dodge again and wheelie!
Image Grid - 25 - cross, sidestep, hit Mars, strike, escape and chop!
Image Grid - 26 - pound, play ball, jump, defend and outwit!
Image Grid - 27 - steer, pick, cut, cut again, drop and deploy!
Image Grid - 28 - squirt, brake, mark page, aim, shine and fry!
Image Grid - 29 - park, pinch, twirl, look out, tilt and squirt!
Image Grid - 30 - catch, detonate, thread, sniff, escape and brush!
Image Grid - 31 - dodge, avoid, vacuum, grab, dodge again then grab again!
Image Grid - 32 - shoot, type, shoot again, enter, throw and fire!
Image Grid - 33 - insert, squash, shoot, shoot again, look out and draw!
Image Grid - 34 - dodge, grab, swat, connect, punch and shoot!
Image Grid - 35 - pound, burrow, pick, catch, return and jump!
Image Grid - 36 - chomp, shoot, catch, catch again, squirm and jump!
Image Grid - 37 - lick, eat, drop, march, cover and scare 'em!
Image Grid - 38 - water, catch, bite, clear, pick up and finish!
Image Grid - 39 - haze, navigate, match, choose, watch and search!
Image Grid - 40 - input, count, save him, search, link and inspect!
Image Grid - 41 - pour, match, remember, heavier, most win, match again...?
Image Grid - 42 - search, watch out, decide, inspect, press and perform!
Image Grid - 43 - eat, drop, eat again, spray, connect and catch!
Image Grid - 44 - reflect, sleep, catch, assemble, taunt and pinch!
Image Grid - 45 - watch out, build up, smash, cut, [vegetable] and shake!
Image Grid - 46 - fight, repel, bounce, bend, pick a thing and cut heat!
Image Grid - 47 - collect, squirt?, pinball, drop, avoid and shoot!
Image Grid - 48 - munch, raise, create, smash, design and catch!
Image Grid - 49 - break, shake, hide, crush, grab and push!
Image Grid - 50 - dodge, compete, wrestle, dodge again, escape and grab!
Image SUPREME FINAL - 51 - top 1 bird that takes a while to unlock
Last edited by camwoodstock 3 months ago, edited 55 times in total.
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Re: WarioWare Inc: Mega Microgame$ - THREAD!

Post by EllenHouraisan »

The return of Ɐ-side.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

the beginning of the end of wario land, and the "land" series in general

3d land doesn't count
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

POST!

I think this series is pretty rad
video games
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

IMPROVE MAIN POST!
we have a very silly relationship with warioware. we love smooth moves, LOVE love warioware d.i.y. (literally got the latter on its release date and we think that game changed our brain chemistry forever), enjoyed game & wario (ironically mostly loving the Not-gamer modes, strangely enough), and... have not yet played ANY of the other wario's wares. we've had gold for 5 years. never played it once. oops.

so, this is kind of an experience for us! we know a LOT abt this series via osmosis from what we HAVE played, but we've never like. Sat Down. and experienced the original mega microgame$. so here we go!
Grounder wrote: 11 months ago the beginning of the end of wario land, and the "land" series in general

3d land doesn't count
&: And the lasting legacy of the Nintendo 64DD, bafflingly enough.
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
TheFunPolice

Re: WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ - THREAD!

Post by TheFunPolice »

Now this is a classic, and one of the better games in the series. I was so excited when i saw it coming up next.

raocow, you can press a during the intermissions for a little animation. You haven't missed much for the intro (wario just turns on the tv) but that is definitely a thing :slow:
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Oh man Wario Ware. Love this game. I 100%'d it twice... once on emulator, once on cart. This will be fun. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

oh neat, I can actually attempt to play along with this one too thanks to actually having replay value that isn't tied to character customization or external randoomizations.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

we need everybody to realize that, if BBCode was as robust as things like HTML or CSS, we would have made this thread be the forum post equivalent to a late 90s/early 2000s geocities/angelfire site, and done it on Purpose to fit with the early 2000s computing aesthetic of the game's menus. (o_o)

SEGUE!
...which jimmy t's stage reminds us a TON is meant to be the game's aesthetic. while wario is over here using a laptop that seems based on windows XP, jimmy t over here is using an old flip phone, and still texting with purely ASCII emoticons! truly, the highest relic of the early 2000s. (+o+)

jimmy's a very strange character, because he sorta holds joint place of being wario's second fiddle in the wariowares, alongside a character we haven't yet seen the microgames of just yet (but is in this game!). he's also extremely funny, because he's an interpretation of "guy who's always stuck in the era of disco", but in this case, because he never stopped, him (and his canonical relatives, if later games are to be believed) just kinda ended up. Extremely fit, after what one can only assume to be literal fucking Decades of high-energy disco dancing, so he usually gets stuck with the sports games! and when he isn't, his status of "being slightly more important to wario's gang than the rest of them" means he gets stuck with another duty we'll be seeing in a bit. no spoils! (-u0)

still, it's very strange watching this when we--as previously mentioned--only have major experience with smooth moves, D.I.Y., and game & wario. we're recognizing quite a few microgames that'd later get REFERENCED in D.I.Y., incidentally; that hurdle one is literally used in the game to depict game timers when you're making a game! quite a high honor for such a seemingly unassuming microgame! (o.o)

&: Me now! (I'm, apparently, not very inspired.)
&: Your obligatory "Trivia about strange or obscure Nintendo releases" today is that Jimmy T. has a girlfriend, who we've only ever seen once in Mega Party Games, a pseudo-rerelease/expanded port of this game for the GameCube that uses this game's Microgames in a party game setting. In it, Jimmy T. promptly accidentally breaks up with her because he was asked if he liked dancing more than her, and the groove struck him.

&: She's also just, in an entirely different art style from Jimmy T. Or any other WarioWare character both before this or since then.

&: This game has unintentionally hilarious cutscenes, because this was literally made in about... 6 or so months, according to an Iwata Asks? If you're interested, and of course, aren't a stickler for indirect "spoilers" of a sort (WarioWares don't exactly have very intense plots, but like, there's characters raocow hasn't seen just yet.), please look them up. They're... Legally a form of art, we thinks.
&: What? I, don't really use emoji like that. It's sideways for days with me. ;p
raekuul wrote: 11 months ago oh neat, I can actually attempt to play along with this one too thanks to actually having replay value that isn't tied to character customization or external randoomizations.
helps the game is fairly quick enough that it doesn't take too long to do just that! (>w0)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

ill watch this when i have the time soz
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

While I’ll admit that many o’ the later WarioWare games are better, I still have a special affinity for this 1 since ’twas the 1st, and the 1st time playing a WarioWare game, being completely unfamiliar with the concept, was such a trip. In fact, when I 1st played this game ’twas the Japanese version, before the North American version was released, which for me added to the chaos o’ this game, as I didn’t e’en understand what the prompts were telling me to do.
Grounder wrote: 11 months ago the beginning of the end of wario land, and the "land" series in general

3d land doesn't count
I was always torn on the Wario Land / WarioWare rivalry, as tho Wario Land 3 is my favorite game to play, WarioWare is the most inspiring to me, artistically.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 11 months ago I was always torn on the Wario Land / WarioWare rivalry, as tho Wario Land 3 is my favorite game to play, WarioWare is the most inspiring to me, artistically.
I still say that they could just put in the Ware characters as Land NPCs (I think I brought this up during 4.)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

FUNTASTIC FACT: kaomoji (顔文字 "face characters") refers to characters arranged into the shape of a face, such as \ ( ^o^ ) /. Emoji (絵文字 "picture characters") refers to characters that are their own individual icons, such as 8-) , and the rise of the cell phone is particularly why "emoji" has overtaken "emoticon" to refer to smiley face icons.
camwoodstock wrote: 11 months ago we need everybody to realize that, if BBCode was as robust as things like HTML or CSS, we would have made this thread be the forum post equivalent to a late 90s/early 2000s geocities/angelfire site, and done it on Purpose to fit with the early 2000s computing aesthetic of the game's menus. (o_o)
I hate how these esthetics are now considered retro when my brain sees them and thinks "yeah, that's pretty much current. WinXP was just a few years ago yeah?". I recently saw someone online refer to the '00s/early '10s as "the desktop PC era" and that cut deep.
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Catabo wrote: 11 months ago FUNTASTIC FACT: kaomoji (顔文字 "face characters") refers to characters arranged into the shape of a face, such as \ ( ^o^ ) /. Emoji (絵文字 "picture characters") refers to characters that are their own individual icons, such as 8-) , and the rise of the cell phone is particularly why "emoji" has overtaken "emoticon" to refer to smiley face icons.
camwoodstock wrote: 11 months ago we need everybody to realize that, if BBCode was as robust as things like HTML or CSS, we would have made this thread be the forum post equivalent to a late 90s/early 2000s geocities/angelfire site, and done it on Purpose to fit with the early 2000s computing aesthetic of the game's menus. (o_o)
I hate how these esthetics are now considered retro when my brain sees them and thinks "yeah, that's pretty much current. WinXP was just a few years ago yeah?". I recently saw someone online refer to the '00s/early '10s as "the desktop PC era" and that cut deep.
ah, yea, kaomoji was the name!!! it was escaping us and we didn't really wanna... mess it up badly in a way people wouldn't be able to understand. (incidentally, if memory serves, "emoji" becoming the official name for those characters is a unicode thing.) (^^;)

also, listen. we can't judge on the "XP is seen as old". we are actively fighting such Time Demons ourselves. to us, official windows 7 support stopped Yesterday for all we know,
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Catabo wrote: 11 months ago I hate how these esthetics are now considered retro when my brain sees them and thinks "yeah, that's pretty much current. WinXP was just a few years ago yeah?". I recently saw someone online refer to the '00s/early '10s as "the desktop PC era" and that cut deep.
my brother in christ i literally was born like two months after ff7 came out in japan the geocities/tripod/angelfire/freewebs aesthetic is roughly as old as me and i miss it so goddamn much

i will never move away from desktop pcs, you can pry them from my cold dead hands even if i buy a steam deck for handheld emulation and pc gayming purposes
camwoodstock wrote: 11 months ago to us, official windows 7 support stopped Yesterday for all we know,
we're actively still in the ps3 era and games are still hot garbage and people think jblow and phil fish are good people rather than trash people who made good games and sonic unleashed just came out
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

UNHINGE!
okay i need to play this game p.s. why does jimmy's phone screen look like a wonderswan
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

DEMO!
Dribble & Spitz are always very fun characters to see. for a lot of reasons. usually if Jimmy P. doesn't get the "set that has a consistent song playing across the entire thing", it's usually these two. and also every one of these songs slaps. Forever. except for the time it was a character that debuted in smooth moves but shhh!

they also, despite not generally being ASSUMED to be sci-fi related... usually end up roped into sci-fi anyways, as evidenced by the epilogue there. they just have a penchant for attracting weirdness, probably even moreso than everyone else in wario's friend group. this is doubly funny considering a certain character raocow has not yet seen, who you WOULD assume to be sci-fi related, but instead has a totally different theme. it's a very funny meta-joke there.

&: Canon!
&: It is now canon that Demo would become a mermaid if given the Frog Suit, which also gives her orange hair. Sorry!

&: Anyways, our apparent "Weird fact about WarioWare stuff and obscure console stuff at the same time!" today is... Remember Mega Party Games? Y'know, that spinoff we mentioned yesterday. Well, it's a party game that's focused a lot on minigame modes, but it uses microgames for actual gameplay across that. Dribble & Spitz's minigame is pretty silly for a few reasons. For one, it has a LOT more to do with Sci-fi in themeing than you'd probably expect.

&: For two, however... For some reason, Nintendo loves getting patents for weird things in WarioWare games. This isn't exclusive to this--very infamously, something for Game & Wario got mistaken as a patent for a (Not actually real!) Wii Music U. But this vaguely Othello-esque minigame, of all things, is one of the things Nintendo has chosen to patent.

&: A few lines from it also seem to expose a very strange design philosophy that was used for Mega Party Games. Namely, there's the line "A player of great competence will hold an overwhelmingly dominant position from start to finish, making the development of the game so one-sided that the enjoyment of the game will be spoiled." (All their words, not mine.) Basically, RNG elements are entirely on purpose, because Nintendo was downright TERRIFIED of letting this game get like Mario Party, where someone can simply get way too good at Minigames and dominate everything. In... Othello, we guess? Google lets you read it, if you want to take a look.

&: Look, when else were we gonna mention the baffling patents Nintendo has done over this series? ;p
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Man, I still have so much nostalgia for the first WarioWare. This playthrough is making me want to replay the game again myself~
AweStriker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by AweStriker »

Post!

I always had the oddest soft spot for the Realistically Proportioned Mario that shows up in some of this set of games.

That being said, the boss minigame is one of the longest in the game, and even the stage itself is awfully long... in order to sync up with the background music.
Mea

Post by Mea »

People have put up an uncompressed version of the song on youtube
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

here's the good version sluts #GreetingsFromSunnyMobius #DrRoslutnik #YouUnlockedMikhailGorbachev

EDIT: I thought Galaxy 2003 reminded me of Solar Striker on game boy but no, i do feel like it's heavily informed by games like that and star force, star soldier etc though

i would pay top dollar for dribble being portrayed as a beefy bara merman. gay pinup artists take note
Image Image
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

This stage made me realize I... Kinda forgot how taxis work? It has been a while since I was last in one. Heck, it has been a while since I've last seen one. They really got phased out by Ubers over here.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Hey rao if you're ever confused about how a specific microgame works in terms of controls, etc. the grid is a great place to look what with the descriptions and replayability there. (I just hope I don't sound backseaty or anything here. :P)
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

yeah maybe don't look at The Grid if this is gonna be a mental block of sorts for you
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I'd suggest you just keep going if you're missing games after getting as high a score as you feel up to - as you've already seen, games can show up in multiple sets, so you might see the missing game later anyways.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!