(shouting)

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ - GRID!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ - THREAD!

Post by raocow »

but you see

holes.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

wow cool snipe
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

When AI Demo gets in the back of your taxi cab and tells you "drive", you drive.
where ya going.png
where ya going.png (48.49 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
It might be fun to just do a cleanup video for the grid if you really need to, after everything's said and done? You'd be re-visiting stages later rather than playing the same one over and over again once.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

It's also important to note (and probably future-content-ish?) that the grid is organized by character rather than by scenario.

Some of those holes will be there for a while.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago It's also important to note (and probably future-content-ish?) that the grid is organized by character rather than by scenario.

Some of those holes will be there for a while.
Nah, they're definitely organized by scenario. You can get every game the moment you unlock that character's set! So the holes are purely if you decide to move on without finding all the games.

If you're talking about the Jimmy remixes, they just combine his games with the three sets prior, all games are available then. He has nothing unique to them, hence why they vanish when you go to the Grid selection. Final Wario is considered a different scenario to Intro Wario as well, and thus each set's games are filed in separate spots on the grid.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow wrote: 1 year ago but you see

holes.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago
sure, the main theme is great
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

never let us try to update a megathread on mobile ever again

GAME!
diamond city is a walkable city confirmed

it's so funny that 9-volt's intro references the virtual boy but not the 64DD, EVEN THOUGH the 64DD is why warioware exists. y'know, sound bomber? it's not because the 64DD flopped that they excluded it, they gave the virtual boy an appearance and even a microgame or two, so like, why did they exclude it? was it because it was Japanese exclusive? that feels silly when you have a famicom keyboard microgame right there. whatever the case, they didn't, and we're baffled. (also, they were cowards for not having a sound bomber microgame that's just the aesthetics of it 1:1).

regardless, it's extremely silly to us that one of wario's friends is, *Apparently*, elementary school age, but also just extremely smart, but he mostly uses that knowledge to be a huge Nintendo game nerd, and also he may or may not be the designated minor of the group. y'know, depending on how old the writer thinks (character raocow hasn't played the set of yet) and (character in later games, not this one) are.

also, the basis for the boss microgame is none other than the Ultra Machine! during Nintendo's toy era, that was their main claim to fame. though it's certainly not the deepest cut in this section--nah, that's either the Color TV-Game Racing 112, or the Laser Outlaw or Chiritorie, depending on who you ask.

&: Me now!
&: So, indeed, every one of 9-Volt's games is a reference to a classic Nintendo game! (Except for one--9-Volt's stage itself is a Dragon Quest reference, and that's neither made nor owned by Nintendo.) So, well, it's very hard to just pick one thing to single out as an obscure reference. Instead, though, you may be wondering how evenly all those references are dispersed. And, well...
  • Toys: 4 (Chiritorie, Ultra Hand, Laser Outlaw, Ultra Machine)
  • Arcade: 2 (Donkey Kong, Sheriff)
  • Color TV-Game Racing 112: 1 (Racing 112)
  • Game & Watch: 1 (Helmet)
  • Famicom: 1 (Family Basic)
  • NES: 11!!! (Balloon Fight, Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros., Hogan's Alley, Ice Climber, The Legend of Zelda, Dr. Mario, Urban Champion, Stack-Up, Metroid, Wild Gunman)
  • SNES: 3 (F-Zero, Mario Paint: Fly Swatter, LazerBlaster)
  • Game Boy: 1 (Game Boy)
  • Virtual Boy 1 (Mario Clash)
&: So, uh... It's way heavy on the NES, even if you try to divy it up with the Famicom. Meanwhile, there's little to nothing for the Game Boy, which surprised me a lot! Was it because the GBA still had backwards compatibility with the OG Game Boy? And no N64 nor GameCube? But YES to the CTVG series? Totally strange to us.

ah, it's just like how the 3ds eshop virtual console went,
&: ...Touche.
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago
  • NES: 11!!! (Balloon Fight, Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros., Hogan's Alley, Ice Climber, The Legend of Zelda, Dr. Mario, Urban Champion, Stack-Up, Metroid, Wild Gunman)
single tear
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago
single tear
&: A single tear, for the single Game Boy game included.
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

camwoodstock wrote: 1 year agodiamond city is a walkable city confirmed
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (153.6 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Sorry, you see any sidewalks here? Bike lanes? I'm afraid Diamond City is a car-dependent suburban hell. :aliceko:

Whenever i saw boxes/advertisements/etc for WarioWare as a kid (i never got any of the games until Smooth Moves), i for some reason thought 9-Volt was PaRappa the Rapper and all the other characters were also crossover characters in some way. Thinking about it, this game would be a crazy religious experience for any kid who likes Mario, Zelda, etc, has some understanding that they're all games on the Nintendo yet cannot mix together, but is not yet familiar with the concept of a crossover. I mean, yes, that was basically what Super Smash Bros. was for me. But WarioWare, in which you only see brief glimpses of all the IP used!, would be a trip. Why is John Zelda in this one microgame? What does it mean???

Anyway,
baru-baru will NEVER die.png
baru-baru will NEVER die.png (18.96 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

starting to suspect rao's a slower reader than the readers this game was made for
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

ACAB!
pros of diamond city: evidently walkable for children
cons of diamond city: You Drive One Scooter And Everything Goes To Shit

mona is. one of the characters ever. basically none of her microgame sets ever have the same framing device ever across games, but her theme of "whatever disparate microgames didn't fit into the other categories" certainly does. she is also dubiously "one of maybe the three not-adults in wario's friend group", and one of her microgames (gold digger, it's the one about picking your nose) is ALSO considered by nintendo to basically be. THE microgame. it literally appears in every single warioware game to date, and in warioware D.I.Y. in particular, they had the nerve to include it twice; once as a built-in microgame, and once as... the "are you sure you want to erase your save?" prompt, where you have to succeed the microgame to confirm you want to delete your save.

it's very funny to say that we don't have much else to say about mona character-wise when mona later became the character that holds joint "probably the main part of wario's friend group that's not wario himself" with jimmy t! we honestly had more to say about two of her microgames! "but that's only one"? we said "we" for a reason.

also vr monkey is just going to be me if we ever get a vr headset--

&: Me again!
&: First, here is an extremely important, and need I mention, entirely official, image of Mona's Monkey in 3D, made for Mega Party Games.
&: Anyways, here's your potentially baffling and obscure Nintendo information. Did you know that that paper airplane microgame in Mona's set got expanded into its own full game? It was called Paper Airplane Chase, and it released for Nintendo DSiWare. It's... How it sounds, it's an expanded version of the microgame, with new modes in it. I don't recommend looking too into it if you're a stickler for spoilers, half because one of the literal main three modes references a thing in this game that raocow Demo has not yet unlocked, and half because it features cameos from two characters not in this game that appears later. So, y'know, tread carefully!

&: Bafflingly, it wasn't even a launch title, despite it appearing in the DSi's own tutorial video about the benefits of connecting your DSi to the internet. Which is a real video they bundled on various DSis, and you can also homebrew onto a 3DS, because of how that console's DSiWare compatibility works.

&: Speaking of, the game's technically unplayable if you don't either already own it, or don't emulate it. Two tears shed, for the 2 dollars it cost on the now-defunct 3DS eShop...

WE'RE NOT GONNA SAY IT AGAIN. Being connected is not just about games, with applications, like the Nintendo DSi Browser, you can surf the web, check your e-Mail, get the latest news, and more.
&: ...That aforementioned tutorial video might be an inside joke we have.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

’Nother fun fact ’bout the paper plane microgame: the long version in this game uses the level theme from Wario Land 4’s “The Curious Factory”. I believe the balancing boxes microgame in Jimmy T. had the music from “Palm Tree Paradise”, too.

Hot take: Mona’s microgames are the best in this game, e’en better than 9-Volt, who’s just a bootlegger ( I love how a major game by Nintendo, notoriously protective o’ their IP, has a main protagonist making money off infringing on their copyright ).

That being said, you’re not ’lone in finding these microgames mo’ difficult than the others: that page-turning microgame is the hardest in the game & was the bane o’ my childhood trying to get that microgame score

( nobody tell raocow ’bout the microgame scores or he might do something he’ll regret & this LP goes on to 100 episodes )

, & despite how goofy it is, that nose-picking microgame is surprisingly tricky to time.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Donut

Post by Donut »

My own take from 17 years of owning this game:
Secretly the intro games are the hardest part of the game. So many of my runs go down to how long I can go without getting the car dodging microgame at level 2/3 and having that life come down to luck because you cannot do it on reaction after a certain speed. I'd argue the decision to make them a part of certain sets was one of the more unfortunate flaws in the game, because they legitimately feel like the hardest part of the game to me.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

"Playing my strange games makes the others seem BORING!"

I can't believe Mona is magicdweedoo.
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (76.97 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
Here we see the poor children of Diamond City who have no choice but to cross a road on the way to school with no pedestrian crossings and disgruntled motorists shouting at them to go faster!
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

i love how mona just canonically loves things that'd be seen as weird
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I think this is as good a time as any to mention this

one of my favorite thing about WarioWare is its cast of characters. All of them manage to be just as colorful, bold, and really stand out just as much as Wario himself. Which I think is very impressive considering you spend like, 5 minutes with each of them.
video games
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 1 year agoWhile I’ll admit that many o’ the later WarioWare games are better, I still have a special affinity for this 1 since ’twas the 1st, and the 1st time playing a WarioWare game, being completely unfamiliar with the concept, was such a trip. In fact, when I 1st played this game ’twas the Japanese version, before the North American version was released, which for me added to the chaos o’ this game, as I didn’t e’en understand what the prompts were telling me to do.
why do you talk all piratey? like, no shade, just wondering
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

TiKi wrote: 1 year ago
J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 1 year agoWhile I’ll admit that many o’ the later WarioWare games are better, I still have a special affinity for this 1 since ’twas the 1st, and the 1st time playing a WarioWare game, being completely unfamiliar with the concept, was such a trip. In fact, when I 1st played this game ’twas the Japanese version, before the North American version was released, which for me added to the chaos o’ this game, as I didn’t e’en understand what the prompts were telling me to do.
why do you talk all piratey? like, no shade, just wondering
it's just a quirk
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

𝖉𝖔𝖓𝖙 @ 𝖒𝖊 𝖚𝖓𝖑𝖊𝖘𝖘 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖈𝖔𝖓𝖘𝖚𝖒𝖊 𝖋𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖞 𝖐𝖎𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖗𝖆𝖒𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖙𝖗𝖚𝖓𝖌𝖊 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖞 𝖉𝖆𝖞
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

&: Creature!
&: Nothing too intense today, since this was literally a level based on being a mashup of previous microgames, but raocow did ask what the enemy in the Level 3 version of Mario Clash was. Turns out: It's a Para-Goomba! ...Kind of.

&: This enemy is officially named Para-Goomba, but it looks entirely different from every other Paragoomba in the Mario games. Also, y'know, the dash in the name, which is usually also absent. And the fact it more closely resembles a Paragaloomba if anything... And the spike on its head... Yeesh, this poor guy looks like he's undergoing an identity crisis! We wish you the best in figuring out who you are, Para-Goomba.
SMCslevelengine
eh

Post by SMCslevelengine »

now that I'm looking back at this game I wonder what wario is supposed to be doing while hanging out with a pair of 5 year olds
more often known as levelengine
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i think it's just the manchildren attract children trope from anime and manga like ryotsu from kochikame, a fave manga/anime of mine. wario would be a criminal but not that kind of criminal
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

SMCslevelengine wrote: 1 year ago now that I'm looking back at this game I wonder what wario is supposed to be doing while hanging out with a pair of 5 year olds
crack :pal:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage