(shouting)

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ - GRID!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ - THREAD!

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
strongbadman

Re: WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ - THREAD!

Post by strongbadman »

In later games, Easy is instead All Mixed Up or a variant of that, where it's treated more like a normal stage, minus bosses and you can't get lives back. It's every regular microgame, and it steadily gets faster until it hits the point threshold for the next level of games, and repeats that until level 3, at which point it just keeps getting faster and faster. There is a max speed, and if you get really cracked at the games you can reach that speed, but some microgames are just completely infeasible to do at that point. Thrilling and Hard remain unchanged mechanically, but depending on the game are named slightly differently.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Re: WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ - GRID!

Post by camwoodstock »

it's funny how nintendo seems to have completely stuck to their guns when it comes to the WarioWare Staff Credit Aliens. if these games ever have a credits function, it's at least partially represented by those little guys, and it's so funny. they seem to literally only exist for nintendo to label credits with and they're some of the nintendo characters ever,

&: Ma!
&: This one's as un-obscure as it gets, because it's literally in the game's intro. But it's funny to point it out, because the vast majority of people tend to forget this by the time they even finish the game and unlock Pyoro. For you see, Pyoro isn't just a weird minigame at the end...

&: ...He's why Wario got into game development, as you could see in the game's intro. Cool! A little bit more obscure, however, is that a standalone Pyoro isn't just fiction... It's yet another DSiWare game that they chose to make reality. For whatever reason, they called it "Bird & Beans" in the actual game, but it's Pyoro, through and through.

&: Compared to the Paper Airplane Chase game they had, there's a bit less new to it. The game field is larger because of the DSi Screen being larger, aaand that's about it for new gameplay features overall! There's also that unlockable Pyoro that raocow mentioned as an unlockable side-mode, though in this case it's just tied to a high enough score, and you don't need to 100% a whole WarioWare, Inc. to get it. Which, obviously, is incredibly L-A-M-E in comparison, right? ...Or maybe it's just really, really hard to fit a whole WarioWare, Inc. onto a single DSiWare. But, like, they did that once, right?
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

You know, just throwing it out there.

A Warioware Thing could make for a very fun project.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Tori wrote: 11 months ago Image
yo why does this remind me of minic the hedgehog for the x68k (it's the tiles and resolution and gay ass gradient)
EllenHouraisan wrote: 11 months ago You know, just throwing it out there.

A Warioware Thing could make for a very fun project.
Yeah I just don't know what engine to make it on. I guess we can bullshit it on Godot or an old pirated version of Game Maker, but it'd require quite a bit of programming and most people would probably be stuck as Idea Guys rather than actual devs due to how people tend to be afraid of programming at all. I do need to learn Godot, so I'd be down for doing it, I'm just a bit too lazy to get started with a template or tutorial project for now. ^^; But soon, I promise.

I have thought about making a simple WarioWare type thing in RM2k3 as a little joke experiment with 2k/2k3 RTP gfx, VIPRPG wiki semi-"public domain" custom gfx, old custom gfx (REFMAP etc, I'd have to badger RMN about the source of a few), and SNES/MD+MCD/TG16+CD/GBA/WSC/PSX/SAT(/maybe some edited GB+GBC/GG/NGPC?) ripped gfx but it'd be a lot of picture, variable and switch manipulation in eventing and I'd have to finagle old RPG Maker's constraints, so it's not for normal people who want to make actually good games.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

wait did wario's jumping in that first microgame not speed up alongside the rest of the game????
KobaBeach wrote: 11 months ago Yeah I just don't know what engine to make it on. I guess we can bullshit it on Godot or an old pirated version of Game Maker, but it'd require quite a bit of programming and most people would probably be stuck as Idea Guys rather than actual devs due to how people tend to be afraid of programming at all. I do need to learn Godot, so I'd be down for doing it, I'm just a bit too lazy to get started with a template or tutorial project for now. ^^; But soon, I promise.

I have thought about making a simple WarioWare type thing in RM2k3 as a little joke experiment with 2k/2k3 RTP gfx, VIPRPG wiki semi-"public domain" custom gfx, old custom gfx (REFMAP etc, I'd have to badger RMN about the source of a few), and SNES/MD+MCD/TG16+CD/GBA/WSC/PSX/SAT(/maybe some edited GB+GBC/GG/NGPC?) ripped gfx but it'd be a lot of picture, variable and switch manipulation in eventing and I'd have to finagle old RPG Maker's constraints, so it's not for normal people who want to make actually good games.
Godot's not too hard to program for!! It's kinda like Python or Lua a bit in terms of syntax, and it allows for reading code from outside files. Alternatively, one could use LOVE2D (assuming you want to do just 2D stuff like this game, rather than the 3D graphics later games in the series use for a few microgames) which uses Lua, commonly used with SMBX2 so surely that'd be an easier bar of entry, and SUPER supports reading external files and even functions for running code from those files!! (Although...in either case, you'd want to build a blacklist of functions so people can't run functions that would harm others' computers...)

The only real "annoying" part of using Godot that I know of is that it forces delta time on you unless you want to recode everything it does, expecting your game's code to run at max speed at all times and just delta it to as if it were 60fps, even if it's running lower. (LOVE2D sorta does the same, but they happily tell you EXACTLY how to force a 60fps cap. Which I guess is kinda hack-y, but that's fine. It's super simple to do.) If you don't care about that, hey great! If you want fine control, everything happens EXACTLY like this, then probably not great.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

One thing you didn't catch in the Dodge game is that Level 1 doesn't play any tricks. At the least it doesn't do the "stop suddenly, then move again" trick, I'm not 100% sure it doesn't ever have jumping cars.

There were several times when you were expecting a trick when Level 1 came up, so this might be something that catches you in other games that throw in twists (but only sometimes) at higher levels.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

What a nice surprise! I was expecting the grid to only be played in between R-sides. The tiny car in the first microgame was funny, and I don't think we ever saw that in the main LP.

When the initial LP ended, I was inspired to pick up WarioWare: Get It Together! on the Switch. After playing it for a few weeks, it's really striking how basic the microgames on the original GBA game are in comparison - not just in terms of graphics, but the complexity of the actions required as well. There's generally a lot more maneuvering around the screen you have to do in the Switch game, while

also accounting for each character's movement gimmick.

It's a nice evolution of the formula though, where previously, each game in the series had tended to exploit the features of each new console to the benefit of its gameplay.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Fun fact: Heavy objects do not actually fall faster than lighter objects in general. There is a specific gravitational constant which determines the acceleration of a falling object, which has nothing to do with the mass or weight of the object - on Earth, this is about 9.8 meters per second per second. So if two objects are both starting at the same height, they will fall at the same speed because their initial velocity is zero.

Some objects, such as feathers or sheets of paper, do fall more slowly, but this is due to air resistance and not mass specifically.

(I am mostly going off of memory here, somebody with expertise in physics could probably explain details I'm overlooking)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 11 months ago Fun fact: Heavy objects do not actually fall faster than lighter objects in general. There is a specific gravitational constant which determines the acceleration of a falling object, which has nothing to do with the mass or weight of the object - on Earth, this is about 9.8 meters per second per second. So if two objects are both starting at the same height, they will fall at the same speed because their initial velocity is zero.

Some objects, such as feathers or sheets of paper, do fall more slowly, but this is due to air resistance and not mass specifically.

(I am mostly going off of memory here, somebody with expertise in physics could probably explain details I'm overlooking)
That's basically how it be yo. So if a coffee table and an anvil fall down at the same time, the coffee table will land later due to air drag being much larger due to the surface area, though only if the coffee table stays horizontal. If it goes vertical it's another story altogether.

This would be the case even if the coffee table and the anvil weighed the same or differently.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

why does wario, despite being greedy and narcissistic, create all these microgames where, due to their nature of eventual impossibility, end in a scenario where he is ultimately defeated in some untimely manner?

was he just tired of being invincible in wario land 2 and 3? did he want to experience what it means to critically fail?
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

The framing device implies that Wario got trapped in the boombox and he's not actually supposed to be there.

But evidently, cars shaped like potatoes and sharks are supposed to be in there. I have no idea how that thing works.
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 11 months ago The framing device implies that Wario got trapped in the boombox and he's not actually supposed to be there.

But evidently, cars shaped like potatoes and sharks are supposed to be in there. I have no idea how that thing works.
&: Well, where else do you put your shark cars and potato cars?
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

In the garage, obviously.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

For a bit of extra fun, use the YouTube "playback speed" feature to turn the video to 2× speed when cow has already gotten past the required stages for victory and the game starts to get really fast.

And don't forget to pour yourself a nice mug of oil coffee multigrain catsup!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Nimono wrote: 11 months ago Godot's not too hard to program for!! It's kinda like Python or Lua a bit in terms of syntax, and it allows for reading code from outside files. Alternatively, one could use LOVE2D (assuming you want to do just 2D stuff like this game, rather than the 3D graphics later games in the series use for a few microgames) which uses Lua, commonly used with SMBX2 so surely that'd be an easier bar of entry, and SUPER supports reading external files and even functions for running code from those files!! (Although...in either case, you'd want to build a blacklist of functions so people can't run functions that would harm others' computers...)

The only real "annoying" part of using Godot that I know of is that it forces delta time on you unless you want to recode everything it does, expecting your game's code to run at max speed at all times and just delta it to as if it were 60fps, even if it's running lower. (LOVE2D sorta does the same, but they happily tell you EXACTLY how to force a 60fps cap. Which I guess is kinda hack-y, but that's fine. It's super simple to do.) If you don't care about that, hey great! If you want fine control, everything happens EXACTLY like this, then probably not great.
Thanks for telling me. I'm gonna do more research about the 60fps cap later on.
Image Image
ultratowel112
Pronouns: He/him

Post by ultratowel112 »

pholtos wrote: 11 months ago
Dragon Fogel wrote: 11 months ago Fun fact: Heavy objects do not actually fall faster than lighter objects in general. There is a specific gravitational constant which determines the acceleration of a falling object, which has nothing to do with the mass or weight of the object - on Earth, this is about 9.8 meters per second per second. So if two objects are both starting at the same height, they will fall at the same speed because their initial velocity is zero.

That's basically how it be yo. So if a coffee table and an anvil fall down at the same time, the coffee table will land later due to air drag being much larger due to the surface area, though only if the coffee table stays horizontal. If it goes vertical it's another story altogether.

This would be the case even if the coffee table and the anvil weighed the same or differently.
It's probably worth noting that if two objects have the exact same shape, the heavier one will (eventually) be falling faster - once you consider air resistance, mass no longer cancels out. They just need to be falling fast/long enough where air resistance is not negligible. :ugeek:

Basically, all else being equal, a heavier object has a higher terminal velocity than a lighter object. :geek:
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

the limit of terminal velocity, as mass approaches infinity, is (there's a number here, but it's crossed out in red ink)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

raocow play mario baseball
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Catabo wrote: 11 months ago raocow play mario baseball
there's something distinctly funny to us that raocow did take longer to beat the baseball microgame than the bonus boss fight in the cuphead dlc. the let's play curse giveth and then taketh away,
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

HEDGEHOG FACT: it's a common misconception that kicking the skateboard down to make it jump is known as an "oil" ("ollie" in some Midwestern dialects). It's actually "oril", named for a mixture of ore and oil. You'll generally find mining terminology all over the place in skateboarding because the skateboard evolved from the mine cart, skateboarding originally being a way for miners to kill time while they were on strike. The word "skateboard" similarly evolved from "cart-bored" (as in "i'm bored but i've got a mine cart, so i'm going to make the most of that").

Some say there are still miners to this day who practice strictly orthodox classic cart-boredom. Rumour has it everyone's still trying to be the first to nail the trick known as "the mine hundred", which involves a full mid-air rotation of the mine cart while the cart is carrying 100kg of coal.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Catabo wrote: 10 months ago HEDGEHOG FACT: it's a common misconception that kicking the skateboard down to make it jump is known as an "oil" ("ollie" in some Midwestern dialects). It's actually "oril", named for a mixture of ore and oil. You'll generally find mining terminology all over the place in skateboarding because the skateboard evolved from the mine cart, skateboarding originally being a way for miners to kill time while they were on strike. The word "skateboard" similarly evolved from "cart-bored" (as in "i'm bored but i've got a mine cart, so i'm going to make the most of that").

Some say there are still miners to this day who practice strictly orthodox classic cart-boredom. Rumour has it everyone's still trying to be the first to nail the trick known as "the mine hundred", which involves a full mid-air rotation of the mine cart while the cart is carrying 100kg of coal.
virtual hydlide sealed dungeon
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 10 months ago
Catabo wrote: 10 months ago HEDGEHOG FACT: it's a common misconception that kicking the skateboard down to make it jump is known as an "oil" ("ollie" in some Midwestern dialects). It's actually "oril", named for a mixture of ore and oil. You'll generally find mining terminology all over the place in skateboarding because the skateboard evolved from the mine cart, skateboarding originally being a way for miners to kill time while they were on strike. The word "skateboard" similarly evolved from "cart-bored" (as in "i'm bored but i've got a mine cart, so i'm going to make the most of that").

virtual hydlide sealed dungeon
&: Your wheneveral reminder Virtual Hydlide uses the same engine as a golf game. Which, may be the strangest shared engine since Sonic Schoolhouse & Bloodwings: Pumpkinhead's Revenge.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 10 months ago Bloodwings: Pumpkinhead's Revenge.
i knew it was gonna be an fps. is it good

also i think like half of t&e soft's catalogue is golf sims which is Fine. it's better than doing it irl
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 10 months ago
camwoodstock wrote: 10 months ago Bloodwings: Pumpkinhead's Revenge.
i knew it was gonna be an fps. is it good
&: Great news! It's widely considered one of the worst PC FPS(? It's also technically an adventure game. This game is weird.) games of all time; this game is considered a travesty of all kinds, and we kinda love it for that. The only (unironic, anyways...) saving graces being a surprisingly good soundtrack and perhaps, the silliest ending cutscene to a horror game ever. I present it without context, and uh, spoilers if you decide to, for whatever reason, open up a GameFAQs guide and play through it yourself.