(shouting)

CLDC 2020 - It's been a while

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: CLDC 2020 - It's been a while

Post by Sugar »

25th, Chilly Snow by Enan63
idol
DESIGN: 36/60
CREATIVITY: 19/30
AESTHETICS: 7/10
TOTAL: 62/100

Enan63, you get the death sentence.

Chilly Snow, huh? It sure is, buddy.

The ideas and ambition are here - neat usage of the Jumping(?) Platforms, although I partially attribute my familiarity to how they work from both my BLDC and 2Mice. Maybe other players would have a more rough time, they are kinda janky, and the graphics for the 2 wide Grey Jumping Platforms are identical to the graphics of the 4 wide Falling Platform, so there's a kinda mash of expected functionalities between the two of them.

I felt that some sections were cool the first time (sliding through Jumping Platforms, or Falling Platforms), but then they got kinda repeated throughout.

Aesthetics were... okay. I was not a big fan of the choice of FG graphics, but the HDMA & snow effects were nice.

All around it sure was a chilly snow.

MrDeePay
DESIGN: 38/60
CREATIVITY: 20/30
AESTHETICS: 9/10
TOTAL: 67/100

A mostly alright outing, but it gets pretty repetitive and drags itself out more than it needs to. While you do show at the start that the short stumps are solid, they get easily lost in the rest of the decorations in the level. This isn't too bad with how everything it set up, but it's still annoying enough to deal with. (better contrast would've been a plus, basically) The level itself has you doing essentially the same two things over and over again. (hopping on rising platforms, sliding underneath narrow gaps) There are a couple of instances in both cases that are pretty decent, but they're not enough to make up for the level's repetition.

Morsel
DESIGN: 41/60
CREATIVITY: 18/30
AESTHETICS: 8/10
TOTAL: 67/100

My random level order gave me two levels in a row playing the same music; here the music fits very well. You could have been more careful with the decorations (e.g. I slide past a snowman with a brown pillar top and a snowy bottom, and get stopped unexpectedly by a pillar brown on bottom and snowy on top). You had several coin trail drops, but you could have added some variation to these. Some coins are scattered with little sense (if you use them routinely as guides this seems questionable). The eating snakes are introduced, but, after the first time, their timed behaviour is only ever used to make you wait: you trigger the block, then you stand still. That obstacle where you have to choose a throw block and hide under the other was quite nice, although it slightly trickier than the rest of this level (and it comes in a particularly pressured situation). There were some interesting uses of platforms, although they were sometimes used in the same way more than once to little real effect (e.g sliding down across the jumping up platforms). The second half of the level seemed less interestingly designed than the first; it almost feels like the halves are in the wrong order.
24th, Misogi Chalice by Truxton
idol
DESIGN: 32/60
AESTHETICS: 6/10
TOTAL: 58/100

I had to look up what Misogi meant, and I think it's baller.

I had a good first run going - made it through the first room and had fun with the platforming, and then entered the second room. Miffed a jump, died, and realized... there was no midpoint even.

So I play through the first section again, and am a bit less fortunte. I get further and realize I died a few screens before the midpoint. I realize how fucking long this level might become.

The second half (which I initally expected the second room to constitute) does much of the same - albeit more of a focus on Grinders, and then I reach a rather cruel setup: a Venus Piranha Plant, a Thwomp a mere 5 blocks above Her, and a rather awkward jump to get past the two of them. And by awkward, I mean rather unreasonable.

The plight continue as this second half dives into the blue yonder, and I am left wishing it had some mercy.

also i loved the 32x32 ice block cutoffs with the thwomps

MrDeePay
DESIGN: 30/60
TOTAL: 56/100

There are a few decent setups with these Thwomp blocks, but the overall gimmick fizzles out about halfway through when things get repetitive. Too often does the level go for the "bait a Thwomp X times before proceeding" with very little meaningful variation, especially during the second half. Of note, there is one setup that also includes a Venus Fire Trap and a spike on a small raised ledge, but the timing needed to get through there is a huge pain if you don't have a Flower. (You're only provided two powerups for the entire level.)

Also the music feels *very* out of sync.

Basically, the car can run, but it needs more gas.

Morsel
DESIGN: 52/60
CREATIVITY: 21/30
AESTHETICS: 10/10
TOTAL: 83/100

A simple and familiar (e.g. from 'The Mario' by pingu) concept and a carefully designed level. The spikes are sometimes used in uncomfortable ways; their square hitbox is already a mockery of SMW's generosity, and placing them level with the ground redoubles that. Waiting for some of the thwomps to drop and return was sometimes laborious, although I found some ways to get through this and that more quickly. The obstacle with the double spitting piranha and thwomp was perhaps a little too obscure to understand for me (the way I found to do it felt odd, although it was interesting to find this way). The palette worked very well, although it was very unusual. The 'double spinjump antifail' might have been useful for this level.
23rd, Castle Blocko by Sockbat Replica
idol
DESIGN: 47/60
CREATIVITY: 23/30
AESTHETICS: 5/10
TOTAL: 75/100

Castle Blocko is full of evil Bowser Statue boys, Dry Bones, and Tracker Blocks. This level is mostly just these three things, and doesn't do a whole lot else.

There's a lot of focus on platforming with the Tracker blocks, and nice placement of the fireballs. The visuals in this level were kind of lacking - especially the 8-bit foreground compared to the sprite and other misc graphics.

MrDeePay
TOTAL: 64/100

Pretty basic and safe level, but overall a servicable outing. It doesn't do anything outstanding with its usage of tracker blocks, but nothing terrible either.

Morsel
CREATIVITY: 15/30
TOTAL: 59/100

Risky no life farm decision (I didn't game over; it's quite possible to, as there are some ways to die). Having statues fire to the right is problematic as the fireballs stay on screen and hog the sprite slots (causing some other sprites not to spawn and also making the game slow down). Sometimes those right fireballs can line up with other sprites in an unforeseeable way (e.g. for the final dragon coin). There were some interesting evolutions of the custom stone blocks. There were probably too many power-ups for the length and difficulty of the level. The normal coin placements sometimes seemed senseless and 'scattered' and sometimes seemed unnecessarily helpful (when you only have to observe the platform's behaviour). Cutting the pillar in half (by colour) is a bit odd. The music is not too attractive (chrono trigger majora's mask mash up).
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

xfix wrote: 11 months ago (chrono trigger majora's mask mash up)
Ah, so that's what it was! I knew I heard "Burn! Bobonga!" there (which rao mistook for Tyrano Lair), but it still sounded quite different. I thought it may have been some Chrono Cross song that I didn't get to. XD
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

xfix wrote: 11 months ago a rather cruel setup: a Venus Piranha Plant, a Thwomp a mere 5 blocks above Her
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

First level today made some pretty good use of ice physics, setting things up in such a way where they have a meaningful effect while generally avoiding the frustration of slipping off platforms into pits. It had some really interesting sections, but may have been somewhat lacking overall due to many setups being repeated with little variation.

I find it a bit funny that the way that stage uses eating blocks is considered "vanilla". I prefer defining vanilla as design that could appear in a real Mario game - which could encompass things the community considers "chocolate", like, say Boomerang Bros - but I suppose I'm outnumbered in that regard.
a
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

21st, Hardfly by nokonoko82
idol
DESIGN: 36/60
TOTAL: 64/100

Well, it is a hard fly life.

This is a level focused around flying. It is also made by someone either privvy to Kaizo design, or accidentally stumbled upon it. I'd argue it's not ~quite~ Kaizo, but this level does err more on the side of naughty than it does nice.

For the most part the jumps are fair. They don't require much knowledge of flying mechanics, and players with patience and little understanding of how flight works should still be able to tackle this level. I felt the second half got a bit too brutal however - the setup where you have to spinfly up while timed with a Mad Thwomp was a heavy roadblock in my progress, which isn't great when it's more than halfway through the sublevel.

The last room was not necessary. The difficulty already padded this levels length, and making the player get P-Speed on a small platform for "one final setup" doesn't actually add much at all. I also did not realize that regular Cape Flight was disabled, so that was a rude surprise when I went for that method and did not make it to the end.

I could have done with something a little bit easier, though,

MrDeePay
DESIGN: 22/60
CREATIVITY: 15/30
AESTHETICS: 8/10
TOTAL: 45/100

A level based primarily around the Cape's floating abilities, but also feels very undercooked and more annoying than it honestly should. It ultimately relies too much on low ceilings with small platforms (often occupied) or practically needing to know what's coming up next. This wouldn't be too much of an issue if the level was broken down into more individual sections (since Instant Retry is used), but the most annoying setups to deal with (a couple different types of Thwomps) are all in the back end of the second "half".

I probably should mention that the third section in this level is pretty slow and lengthy. Also, that Angry Thwomp flying segment at the tail end of it feels more luck-based than anything.

What is up with the neutered Cape flight? (For anyone wondering, cape gliding was removed) Trying to fly off a normal jump doesn't give you the height/distance needed to clear the big gap at the end of the level, but will from a spin jump. Thankfully the final section only has that as its real obstacle.

Morsel
DESIGN: 59/60
TOTAL: 92/100

Brilliant. Well done. I took a point off design as the horizontal thwomp and pipe entry was a bit awkward owing to the variable drop (and if you hug the right wall he won't trigger). Unlike some other levels I complained about because they seemed to be face-lifted kaizo, this one takes some kaizo staple elements (one hit is failure, instant reset, some 'technical' movements) and uses them to create a fully realized experience. I think you could pushed some possibilities a bit further. I was puzzled when I tried to fly properly at the end (as I was meant to be, although now I wonder why I didn't try to fly normally before that point in the level--you evidently bluffed me). Hard moon.
21st, Trinket Searching, by Green Jerry
idol
DESIGN: 34/60
TOTAL: 63/100

GThis goes all out balls to the walls with it's homage to VVVVVV. I've never played VVVVVV.

This level is pretty tricky - it's not too bad, but I'm not a fan of the "For whatever reason, the trinkets are reset when you die." This... makes this level a lot harder. It's easy to die anywhere, considering this little pixel man has but 1 hit, and while there are a sheer abundance of checkpoints around... it doesn't matter a lot if I still have to backtrack around to find the trinkets if I die.

MrDeePay
DESIGN: 39/60
CREATIVITY: 30/30
TOTAL: 76/100

The main issues here that drags it down is even stated in the second message box. (Coins resetting on death, creating needless treks to backtrack to recover what you lost.) There is also one screen transition that puts you right in front of moving obstacles (the bouncing orbs) with no time to anticipate them. Additionally, the rapid-fire cannon I feel was vastly underutilized and surely could've been implemented in more ways with the gravity and platforming, provided the Coins not saving was ever addressed.

The level itself is pretty solid otherwise, as there is solid potential of the exploration and existing tools could be expanded on.

Morsel
DESIGN: 35/60
CREATIVITY: 17/30
TOTAL: 62/100

I have to admit I haven't played the game that this level is based on. A message box that explains things with a sort of wink (limitations as lore). The checkpoints do not work regularly (you need to collect one and die to respawn another). The camera frequently gets shifted a tile out of alignment; this either makes things look broken or makes the level harder to play. It took a little while for me to understand that the point of the level was to collect the trinkets. Then it was a matter of deciding the best order, and then trying to avoid checkpoints that would force me out of order. Not all the dragon coins are equal; the two at the top right feel shoved in together. So the organization of the level as a whole is slightly unbalanced. A Timer was provided even though idol has now junked this rule--I assure you it was appreciated by me in any event. Dying after collecting all coins means (as far as I can tell) that you have to reset the game to have another go at beating it. All in all, this was a very creditable effort at recreating the look (which seemed perfect to me) of a classic game and translating its gameplay to SMW, even if it came up a little short in the execution.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

"the idea was there, the floor was not"
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Could Green Jerry just not insert worldpeace & co.'s Dragon Coin save patch? That was allowed right? It's not like CLDC entries have to be compiled into a single rom like previous VLDC contests, right? Was he just too afraid of messing with it, because ASM?

Hold on let me find the thread...

Yeah no rule disavowing patches, what the fuck? Let the records show that I'm all for dumb ideas that may or may not work, I literally think making RNG doors that may or may not lead you to the exit, VIP2 style, to be the funniest thing possible, but I feel like this errs on the side of not really working at all to be worth it. Good job on the 21st place though.
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Grounder wrote: 11 months ago "the idea was there, the floor was not"
You would not believe how often I quote variations of this in my day-to-day life. Even at work. It's in my sig for a reason.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

I think not saving Dragon Coins is an intentional choice actually. I think the idea of this level was to let player practice before doing the perfect run.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

that's stupid
Image Image
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I was so annoyed by the trinket level I made a (my one and only) custom block: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=23347.
dont wanna jihad no more
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

morsel/morceau wrote: 11 months ago I was so annoyed by the trinket level I made a (my one and only) custom block: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=23347.
I seem to recall you using the original block (or at least a version of it) in MaGL2, Nairobi/The Constant Grinder, for the secret exit.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

morsel/morceau wrote: 11 months ago I was so annoyed by the trinket level I made a (my one and only) custom block: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=23347.
oh no you used the word "pisses" in the description. someguy is going to complain to have the word removed from the vldc9 compilation rom /stramside

Anyway, this is praxis. I absolutely empathize with you getting mad over people using this wrongly and I'd do the same thing wrt making this block for that reason. It's why a lot of older hacks kept using the BlockTool rendition with like 3 coins or 4 as the total needed.
Image Image
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

20th, Hypnosis Hopscotch by Toxicrave
idol
DESIGN: 21/60
CREATIVITY: 26/30
TOTAL: 56/100

This level is hard. I feel like it took each gimmick it had and raised it to just a few knotches below being a Kaizo-Light level... which is unfortunate, because I felt like this level shot itself in the foot.

I start off with a gimmick around these Sleeping Bob-Omb men. It is introduced well, and I am intrigued to keep going. And then there are spikes that only appear when I jump. And cannons that only shoot when I jump. I am greeted with Amazin' Flyin' Hammer Bros who do not fly, and Banzai Bills who do not like me.

And then there is another me, my little Black Lodge doppelganger who ramps up the difficulty. A difficulty that was already pretty high by virtue of the myriad of elements this level presented.

There is no good indication of which blocks will summon spikes when I jump, either. I thought it was only on the girders, which was a good indicator. And then I got miffed by a spike that appeared from a pipe. And then I got miffed by a spike that appeared from a platform I could normally jump through. All while an evil me was chasing me.

And then there were 2 more of me.

This level, on its surface, feels like it asks you to think about your next move. It's complicated, you have to keep an eye on where jump-spikes may appear, or set up jumps with bullets. Asking the player to do that all while they can't sit still... just isn't fun.

This wasn't really fun at all. Which is a shame, because it feels like all the elements are here to really be a great level. It just needed editing.

I also did not even try the moon room. I apologize for not checking out what you did, I was just tired.

MrDeePay
DESIGN: 20/60
TOTAL: 59/100

This level starts off pretty okay, but the more it goes on, the more it falls apart.

From near the very beginning, you're forced to learn simutaneously that both spikes ex/retract from surfaces and Bill Blasters fire when you jump, soon throwing you into setups where you designed as if you need to have advance knowledge of what to do or else you'll take damage (this happens a lot throughout the level) Soon afterwards you get chased by a Shadow Clone (Jutsu!)- first only one, then three, and back to one again. Having 1-2 in this kind of level are okay, but having a third one just serves to get more in the way than it should, only adding more to the issue of requiring foresight.

There have also been numerous times where I would jump, but a Bill Blaster would not fire or spikes wouldn't ex/retract.

Overall, While this isn't necessarily Kaizo, it is way too overwhelming and demanding for its own good.

Morsel
DESIGN: 53/60
TOTAL: 93/100

I ended up really liking this one. It was the first time I had met that man who follows you around and I can't say I immediately took to him. In the end, I enjoyed having to think about the intricacies of my own movement and the level lay-out in a way that is rare. The real theme of the level was introduced on the sly: initially it seems to be about those jinky bombs; then it seems to be about the magic spikes; than the shadow turns up. You were like a conjuror pulling an endless series of rabbits out of his hat. The final section was perhaps a little much, as the cycles you need to hit are sometimes obscure (and if you miss them, you will be dead, effectively, even if still playing); the hammer chuck at the beginning here seemed rather hard to avoid in one way or another (jumping on his head or jumping through him). The way you had to think about how not to spawn bullets (by shifting them off camera) was incorporated naturally, although you can run too high on one wall and not spawn a bullet (below camera) which felt less natural. The level was fair with its indications but unfair as well because who will read those indications correctly in the heat of the moment? At least you are able to say (although perhaps with tongue in cheek) that the player had every chance, if only he had been smart enough. The hammer chuck had a bad graphical tile on him; he also sometimes throws in the wrong direction. The moon was very hard but very satisfying (I really had to puzzle out how to manipulate the movements of the shadows here). The dragon coins were easier to get than I thought they would be, but unfortunately you have to reset if you die after the first room because you can't skip the checkpoint. (As is common in this contest, they don't work properly with this status bar; incidentally, you did well to use a proper power-down with this status bar.) An excellent conception in the dragon coin path was that you got a shortcut (if you understood to kill banzai). I notice you can affect the spikes by pressing jump when the game is paused (also, if you jump on the frame you land, they won't change). Was it kaizo? The experience may well be similar (I, for example, mostly threw attempts at it till I found things that worked). The movements required are not so very precise (although some timings may be); things are introduced in a do or die manner; there are no specialist tricks and techniques required; there is some margin for error almost everywhere; there are no generically kaizo elements. Levels like this show standard and kaizo can occupy the same spectrum quite comfortably. I find myself replaying this level frequently.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

xfix wrote: 11 months ago Soon afterwards you get chased by a Shadow Clone (Jutsu!)
im sorry but between this and unironically posting the chocolate spongebob meme in response to russ' title screen i'll have to use my arcane magic to seal away deepay by banishing him to the worst gulags in deepest siberia
Image Image
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

For once, I largely agree with rao's post-frustration positive assessment.

Beyond the unmarked spike floors, beyond the initially unintuitive jump triggers, and beyond the unwelcome hammer Chucks, there is a level that flows very well. Well, the first two sublevels along with the moon room, at least, it's less clear if this is the case for the third sublevel.

I think it's biggest mistake is introducing the cosmic clones. They're there to force the player to keep moving, to keep the flow going. At first, they might seem like a good idea, after all, if the primary virtue of a level is its flow, surely they protect the player from playing the level in a way that sucks the fun out. But this isn't true, and we can see why quite clearly in the first sublevel. There, the player is allowed to take breaks, letting them regain their focus and parse their next challenge, at least partially. And yet, due to the overall difficulty forcing players to replay earlier sections, these sections are eventually mastered and the safe zones become unnecessary. The resulting final run is very clean and satisfying despite there being the option to pause, because that is no longer necessary for most parts.

Once the clones are in play, successes need to be clean runs, but this comes at terrible costs. Everything becomes exponentially more complicated, with the player not only having to keep track of the spike state while parsing the next obstacle, but also planning how to keep moving without trapping themselves; the solutions still flow well, but a level that was already hard to sight-read just became nigh-impossible to sight-read. Furthermore, the player is no longer given the chance to recover their stamina before trying a new solution or approaching a new setup. Finally, and most subtly, a clean run of a section is no longer a mark of mastery, but a mere passing grade.

Ultimately, I can see the appeal in this level. It's indubitably kaizo, but still has something to offer when making it back to the current roadblock after a death. This makes it a stark contrast to yesterday's Hardfly, which was just a flavorless sequence of tight uninspired setups which did not flow well at all, where I did not see any appeal.
a
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

If any one tries toxicrave's level and the spikes don't work, use an older version of snes9x (1.60 works for me). I think there is a console accuracy issue.
dont wanna jihad no more
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

spider-mario vs bottles the (cooler) mole
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

19th, The Downfall of Bowser's Coin Fleet by Koopster
idol
DESIGN: 45/60
CREATIVITY: 22/30
TOTAL: 74/100

The construction of this airship is quite bizarre. In fact, I don't think it'd even be able to fly in real life.

I found the platforming elements of the second half to be more interesting than the vertical descent of the first half. There was a lot of nearly empty drops in the first half, where the obstacles were overly simple and provided little challenge. But I did enjoy how tense the second half felt, especially the part with the fast donut blocks and the Grinders.

MrDeePay
DESIGN: 42/60
TOTAL: 69/100

It's pretty basic in it concept, but the approach hits more often than it misses. My main issues were with how the red Donut Blocks were used in the latter half teeters the line on requiring foresight on what to do, specifically with the veritcal hoop formation and the final run.

blah blah cutoff lava/water etc. It's not the worst thing someone can do (especially for a contest), but getting hazards like those to look good within the confines of a level is still important and helps with presentation.

But otherwise the level is solid, albeit, again, pretty basic.

Morsel
DESIGN: 51/60
CREATIVITY: 16/30
TOTAL: 76/100

You seem to know what you are doing for a virgin entrant. There is little to pick apart here; it is well done level, although it only uses what I think I can call standard elements (and so takes a knock in creativity). The red donuts are rather abrupt, but I suppose that makes them interesting. The thwomp's ground interaction was 'fixed'; I don't know if its normal behaviour is so familiar as to require an explanation (it was something for me to think about in a few situations). The status bar doesn't seem to work properly with the dragon coins (after collecting them all they remain and return to being blank if you die). There was some unenclosed lava (and cut off water--tut-tut). Some areas you could access to no purpose (an area with a one-tile opening; the ledge above before the goal). One of the lava pits didn't seem to serve a purpose either. Sometimes sprites can fall with you in unintended ways, and not co-operate with the camera in the vertical section. Making the bowser statue shoot all his fire results in the donut blocks doing strange things. The scrolling background misbehaves with pausing.
18th, BEE by Tahixham
idol
DESIGN: 45/60
TOTAL: 77/100

There are three paths, and each one houses a litany of bees. There is a simple goal: I collect some stars, and I am rewarded with a little jingle. I get to be a Bee, and I get to fly around. Most of this journey is spent just flying whichever way, with little intrusion from enemies. It's more a passive journey - I'm dropped smack dab in the middle of a forest, and the enemies are more like wildlife than they are intrusive forces.

I'd say there isn't a lot of care to the actual level design of this entry so much as there is presenting an opportunity to play around with a fun little powerup. I appreciated all the benefits this powerup had, such as going through the honey with little trouble or being able to climb up the honeycombs. It's a good backport of the Bee Mario mechanics from SMG.

Overall this was a fun little rompy experience. Good job goose man and possible co.

I mean I have no idea who made this.

MrDeePay
DESIGN: 48/60
TOTAL: 88/100

Absolutely fantastic job with implementing and replicating the Bee Suit's feature! It feels a lot like how it does in the SMG games for the most part (barring that whole 3D thing and all...) The health system is also very well made, but it's pretty easy to farm for extra HP. Then again, for this level, farming isn't necessary.

However, "problem" with the level, however, is that it's basically laid out to be a big tutorial. This level, as-is, would fit perfectly in a standard hack. But for a contest, it would be more fitting for the sections to be combined into one segment as more of a condensed tutorial and the rest of the level combines what you've learned at the start and based around that knowledge.

Again, fantastic job, but not quite being used to its full potential.

Morsel
DESIGN: 30/60
TOTAL: 60/100

This is very well made, but it feels like three levels in a demo to me rather than a complete level. For this contest, I think we should see stand-alone levels that have a strong focus and a single sense of place, such as we see in a traditional Mario game or a similar platformer (YI, DKC, etc.), but I can't really fit what I played here into that notion. You go in three separate directions, collect three separate stars (one is just there, one requires five grey stars to spawn, one is in a locked box), each of which returns you to the start (and saves), and then the level ends. The first area has a kind of tutorial (ambiguous I found, since 30 coins gives you an extra heart up to 5 but won't refill your health if there is no extra heart to give). There are some tiles which are not used in an integrated fashion: you can climb on some of the wall in the hive, although I ended up just ignoring this feature to fly; the sticky blocks are in two areas and some use is wrought out of them but not to such an extent that it feels properly thematic. The graphic of the friendly bee didn't fit in that well. There is definitely potential for your ideas here to feature in a full hack.
17th, Grab-Block, by Pat
idol
DESIGN: 32/60
CREATIVITY: 25/30
TOTAL: 66/100

Neat ideas marred by some misplaced judgement.

The intro video isn't really relevant to what the level is actually about. It could be argued that it adds atmosphere, but the atmosphere it adds was contrary to what the actual level was about.

At the time I am writing this, the ARMS character Min-Min was just announced for the video game, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, for the Nintendo Switch. You can buy this game for around $79 dollars in Canada. I get to play out my little Min-Min fantasies (do NOT joke about this sentence) in this level via the grappling mechanic, which also can be used as a punch attack. It was satisfying to punch enemies. It was also satisfying to grapple from wall to wall like a spider.

And the first half is designed rather well. And then comes the second half. And then come the problems.

Vanilla SMW has some jank. This level doesn't mind that jank. Problem is, in a Chocolate contest where you can use ASM up the ass, I do mind that jank. Your Layer 2 section does not work. It's creative, it's ambitious, but it's fundamentally flawed by the fact that Mario himself does not stick to Layer 2 when it moves sideways. This can be solved with the power of ASM, and it would make this section feel actually fair to play. I spent more time trying to keep up with the platform itself than I did actually enjoying the obtacles in this section. I took a hit at one point, and tried to collect my feather from my reserve box.

And then the game crashed.

SMW has a little bug where if the player collects a reserve powerup that is at the top of the screen, the game crashes. This can be solved with 1 easy patch. Instead, I lost quite a bit of progress.

So I bumble my way back to the end, and I am presented with... a boss. Firstly, it's not the best idea to reuse enemy graphics in a way that completely changes how you can interact with them. Mega Mole you can jump on. I was surprised when I couldn't jump or spinjump on this Mega Mole.

But that's okay, because this fight ended up being really easy. He's a damage sponge, but I was able to kill him just by standing still and spamming the grappling button.

Eh.

MrDeePay
DESIGN: 46/60
CREATIVITY: 25/30
TOTAL: 80/100

Utilizes a grappling hook mechanic very well for the most part, but a few setups after the first and second checkpoints aren't exactly clear in what it wants the player to do. And even when it's completed it doesn't feel like that was the "intended" solution. Fortunately those spots aren't all that frustrating to deal with. The autoscoller with the green platform provides some awkward movement (because Mario doesn't move with the platform at all) which makes moving around annoying if the platform isn't moving straight up or down. The boss, while neat in concept, is a damage sponge that provides an anti-climatic end to what is largely a solid level (despite blemishes).

Morsel
DESIGN: 41/60
TOTAL: 80/100

What was the point of the introductory movie? Mario (and perhaps the author of this level) was just showing off. In any event, I was relieved I wasn't expected to replicate it. This mechanic worried me because I had met it in another entry; it was rather different here as diagonals were not permitted. You may wonder about your low score; it is because a substantial portion of the level was a boss. It was a very good boss, but this is a level design contest and bosses and levels are rather different. I estimated the boss content here as a fifth and took those marks away. This may be controversial but I feel it is the principled thing to do (and I've done the same for another entry). With the autoscrolling part, you can get out of bounds and not die quickly, which was annoying; you can also glitch into the platform; perhaps if you have moving layer 2 it should carry mario with it. I felt the delay with reallowing the shot sometimes led me into confusion (I felt I had to carefully measure it after failing an obstacle a few times). I knew about holding the jump button when 'wall-jumping' to get better height from the other level, which probably made this one easier. The level was fairly lenient at times in how you were able to progress, which is surely part of the appeal with such a peculiar mechanic, but I sometimes wondered what I was meant to be doing (e.g. what was the mole for before the first feather?), and sometimes you could ignore too many things. Forcing you to move to get the feather after dropping from the vertical pipe is a minor nuisance. You need the feather fix patch for the autoscroll.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

xfix wrote: 11 months ago I get to play out my little Min-Min fantasies (do NOT joke about this sentence)
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
Image Image
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

Morsel wrote: 11 months agoYou may wonder about your low score; it is because a substantial portion of the level was a boss. It was a very good boss, but this is a level design contest and bosses and levels are rather different. I estimated the boss content here as a fifth and took those marks away. This may be controversial but I feel it is the principled thing to do (and I've done the same for another entry).
If your judges are going to be like this, you should just completely ban bosses from the contest. It's unreasonable to expect entrants to be able to predict that something that real Mario levels sometimes feature (such as castles in general, or mini-bosses like Birdo) is going to be blanket penalized. If it's going to be a surprise like this, it should just be ignored instead, with the judge pretending that the level immediately ended before the boss room.

As for the boss itself, it's good as a continuation of the level's gimmick, with the projectile attack and damaging condition requiring horizontal grapple shots, the ram attack requiring jumps, and the lava attack requiring vertical grappling. But as a boss, it does leave quite a bit to be desired. The way the ramming attack works makes the boss punish the player hanging out anywhere except near the left edge of the screen, and no other aspect of the boss prompts the player to actually move horizontally. The lava attack, while making the player execute a unique action, does so in a very inelegant manner that makes it feel shoehorned in. Still, it's a neat, inoffensive climax to a gimmicky level.
a
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Yeah, I feel like that would make sense if the level was JUST a boss, but a boss is 100% part of a level. It seems weird to me to dock points for daring to use a boss at all. Some people just find fighting a boss to be a more exciting ending than "Oh hey here's a goal tape/orb", especially if it makes use of the level's gimmick. They went in with the idea of the grab-block being both utility and weapon, and the boss definitely expands on that. Did it have flaws? Absolutely. I don't think it really justifies docking points for its mere existence, though.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

and that is why the magls have mafab as a separate thing

edit this really deserves a more proper response than just "lol boss design contest should be separate" - I actually do agree (sorta) with docking points for bosses in the general case, because most chocolate boss fights tend to be time sinks just due to how mario boss fights tend to work, which skews the playtime towards the boss fight more than the level itself. Unless it's something that actually incorporates the level itself into the boss fight (like King Charles from ASMT, where King Charles was really just the camera's hitbox) a boss fight is usually just "mario and custom sprite exist in a box until custom sprite makes itself vulnerable to mario three times" and while there's certainly ways to make that interesting, isn't really the point of a level design contest.

Put another way: if you made a boss level and people only talk about the boss, did you really make a level?

With that said there shouldn't be a penalty for including a boss period if the level wants to end with a boss, but don't say "bosses must be chocoloate" either - Reznor is a perfectly cromulent boss with which to end a level, chocolate or otherwise.
Last edited by raekuul 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

The problem with the boss was not that it was a 'climax' but that it was anti-climactic; a 'damage-sponge' in the apparently great minds of the other two judges. I also wouldn't agree the boss was 'daring' at all; it feels like a safe way to try to garner extra points by impressing people. This contest really shouldn't be about flash coding. Anyway, presumable I would have given it 7 or 8 more points which divided by three would push this level two or three places higher; hardly worth revving up the outrage machine.
dont wanna jihad no more