(shouting)

Paper Mario - The Last Stage

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Paper Mario - The Last Stage

Post by KobaBeach »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 10 months ago Gurumin is not an RPG, though, it's more of a janky mid-budget action platformer from what I recall.
it is an action RPG what are you talking about
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Well, what I mean is that it's not a "pick things from a menu" RPG. It's an action game where you jump around and attack and stuff.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 10 months ago Well, what I mean is that it's not a "pick things from a menu" RPG. It's an action game where you jump around and attack and stuff.
Yeah, I just don't know if raocow is still into Action RPGs either.
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

KobaBeach wrote: 10 months ago
EllenHouraisan wrote: 10 months ago Well, what I mean is that it's not a "pick things from a menu" RPG. It's an action game where you jump around and attack and stuff.
Yeah, I just don't know if raocow is still into Action RPGs either.
really seems to come down to how much menuing there is. Are there visible derivative stats you need to worry about? Do you ever need to worry about a "build"? if yes, it's probably not for raocow. Something like Castlevania SotN has a whole bunch of stats but you never really need to worry about them, it's a metroidvania first and an action RPG second so long as you use the menu once in a while to set your equipment.

While he'd never play it, Kingdom Hearts is kind of a funny middle-ground sweet spot in that it's mostly action and platforming and can absolutely be bruteforced while ignoring any kind of "build" for minmaxing combo length and critical finishers, so long as you just equip the latest abilities you have whenver you can. But also all your inputs are always through a "menu", but it's in real-time. That and FF7R really strike my curiosity as to how raocow would get on with that one layer of abstraction, rather than the full-blown turn based menuing.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i'd suggest kingdom hearts but there would probably be some contentid problems with some of the instrumental only disney songs, plus, as much as i adore the ocs (i do not care for the ff and disney fuckers, they are simply filler), i have described the entire plot yesterday as "an arctangent post" and i am not taking that back ever

the non grind heavy ys games would probably work since they're also mostly actiony, it's just that a lot of the old games (1 to the napishtim engine trilogy i think?) gate off progression with level requirements to damage enemies, so they'd require some minutes of repeatedly murdering a few enemies in a map before moving on every few half hours or so, and thus i would not recommend them for raocow.

i would recommend the mega cd version of popful mail though, i don't think that one has levels actually? just health upgrades and it's generally a classic, but i'd super recommend playing with the japanese balancing of the unworked designs patch rather than ever playing the american release verbatim because, working designs' difficulty rebalancing is, pardon my english, worse than the smell of rotting horse manure out in the sahara desert's sun.

i will warn that working designs' loose localizations can get pretty abysmal too, sometimes the smarm and tongue-in-cheek aspect can be very adorable, but a lot of the times, especially in lunar 2 and the magic knight rayearth saturn localization, everyone's just completely terrible. and popful mail has instances of some weird shit. like one of the characters mentioning gollywogs?? wh (do NOT google gollywogs)

i'd also suggest trials of mana if it's not too grindy in 3d, but 2d, im ambiguous, because, a lot of the meta of the game is that magic freezes you in place regardless of who cast it, so there's a good chance that enemies can stunlock you to death with it if you don't know what you're doing, maybe grind enough? im not sure, it's been a while.

also you can get fucked by not having a team with any white magic caster: monk and warrior monk kevin, any class charlotte, knight and liege duran. im NOT spoilering this if raocow ever considers it, im sorry, i forget how bad 3d is with white magic needs, but i know that magic doesn't freeze the gameplay due to console limitations (it's on pc, switch, ps4 and mobile so)
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

As someone who's played Gurumin forever ago and enjoyed it back then, I don't remember there being too much menu navigation? But also I forgot about the gross merchant character so idk what else I might've forgotten. I'd like to think that raocow would still enjoy the game aside from that one aspect, but if there's anyone else more recently familiar with the game who could weigh in that'd be appreciated.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 10 months ago But also I forgot about the gross merchant character
i think this was a defense mechanism actually
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

it must be, I have zero recollection of who you're even talking about.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raekuul wrote: 10 months ago it must be, I have zero recollection of who you're even talking about.
Image Image
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

I'll be honest, I forgot pretty much every single thing about Gurumin. Other than the fact Parin sounds like a too cool for school edgy teen.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

dont worry i haven't played it yet other than gazing at the Gorgeous artstyle that i want to emulate in my drawing style in the future amongst other terrible turn of the willennium anime and asian rpg bullshit.

it's been on my steam for a few years now along with like xanadu next which i Desperately need to continue but OOPS i have like 120 rpgs going on rn and i think this is not counting every rpg maker game i have on my hard drive and the three? roguelikes i started on a whim (dicing knight. (read that as dicing knight period), torneko's great adventure, shiren the wanderer 1, i also should try dragon crystal on the master system again)
Image Image
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

This playthrough was SO cool, thanks for playing! Paper Mario was one of the first games I completed as a kid, the small numbers made it so much easier to play than Chrono Trigger. It's not a game I'd like to replay because it's so slow, so watching a raocow let's play was the ideal way to reexperience it for me.

I hope you'll change your mind about playing the sequels, Thousand-Year Door and Super Paper Mario are both upgrades from the original in terms of charm and clever writing. Maybe we could have someone censor the comments for spoilers or something?
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Zennistrad

Post by Zennistrad »

I'll admit, I'm sad that Rao didn't like the RPG elements (and more sad that the backseaters almost ruined it), but it was really interesting seeing someone mostly unfamiliar with RPGs play Paper Mario. That's Paper Mario's target audience in a nutshell, it's designed to be an introduction to the genre while also being a solid game in its own right.

I'm conflicted on whether I want to see raocow do TTYD. On the one hand, Thousand-Year Door is easily my favorite game of all time, and was the title that first really got me interested in games as a means of telling stories. Seeing people react to it blind is really great, I love being able to see other people be blown away by some of the things it does with the Mario formula. TTYD took some pretty huge risks with its narrative and setting for the squeaky-clean Mario series, so there's really no other Mario game that's quite like it.

On the other hand, I'd probably be irrationally bothered by raocow not tattling on every enemy he sees, given how obsessively I filled out the Tattle Log in that game. Plus TTYD has some infamously annoying backtracking segments, so while it's overall a huge improvement over the first game's mechanics, there are definitely some occasional design choices which stick out more.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i like chex quest. i like rpg,
Image Image