(shouting)

Paper Mario - The Last Stage

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Paper Mario - The Last Stage

Post by raekuul »

this is a blind playthrough and raocow has been reading the thread, so please keep Future Content under spoilers!

1 - star rod (Prologue Bowser; Chapter 0 Begins)
2 - hammer (Jr Koopa #1)
3 - fighter (Goomba King)
4 - esp
5 - sleep (Prologue Magikoopa)
6 - needle (Chapter 1 Begins)
7 - throw (Fuzzies)
8 - bomb
9 - bomb bomb
10 - mecha (Koopa Bros.; End of Chapter 1)
11 - love-love stick (Jr. Koopa #2)
11.5 - leaf
12 - cook
13 - stone bomb (Blooper; Chapter 2 Begins)
14 - stone
15 - wing (Buzzar)
16 - sand (upgraded Bombette)
17 - magic
18 - wild hammer (Super Hammer)
19 - ninja (Tutankoopa, End of Chapter 2, Buzzar)
20 - smash bros.
21 - wheel (Electro Blooper)
22 - ball
23 - ghost (Chapter 3 Begins)
24 - hi-jump (Super Boots)
25 - normal
26 - ufo
26.9 - monado arts
27 - big-rig mouth (Tubba Blubba, End of Chapter 3)
28 - tornado (Jr. Koopa #3)
29 - invincible candy
30 - needle needle (Chapter 4 Begins)
31 - 1UP (Anti Guy)
32 - mini
33 - mix
34 - light (General Guy, End of Chapter 4)
35 - ice spark
36 - doctor (Fuzzipede, Start of Chapter 5)
37 - kine
38 - spear
39 - stone cutter
40 - burning stone (upgraded upgraded Bombette, Ultra Hammer)
41 - water (Lava Piranha, End of Chapter 5)
42 - bell
43 - robobot armor
44 - master (Kent C. Koopa, Ultra Master)
45 - ranger (Super Blooper)
46 - drill (Start of Chapter 6)
47a - mike
47b - coo+spark (Spike?)
48 - inhale (Huff 'n Puff, End of Chapter 6)
49 - parasol
50 ❄️ Ice (Start of Chapter 7)
51 - freeze
52 - mirror
53 - copy (Crystal King, End of Chapter 7)
54 - spark
55 - starship (Start of Chapter 8)
56 - bullet climax
57 - paint (Koopa Bros. Redux)
58a - beam (Hallway Bowser)
58b - circus (Final Bowser, Game Complete)
Last edited by raekuul 11 months ago, edited 76 times in total.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Grounder

Re: Paper Mario - A Long-Expected Party

Post by Grounder »

i like this game, but the prologue is so slooooooooow
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

anyway when's raocow choosing to boost nothing but flower points a la boosting nothing but attack (and stache?) in m&l

this is the worst idea you could have but a lot of us on discordhaus expect raocow to shitpost that way, for better or for worse. im not sure how easy pm1 is, i've only beat smrpg and i'm still at the first actual chapter of pm1, haven't played it in a year?
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I could get to the final boss as a dumb kid; I don't recall the game being all that hard, aside from a couple bosses. Note I never actually beat it (as I was a genius that saved at the final boss with one HP.

I did have to use a turbo controller at one point but I was never good at button-mashing anyway.

I hope all the thread titles are just Lord of the Rings chapter titles
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

this game is extremely impactful to us, just kinda aesthetics wise and also it's probably one of our most replayed games (not THE most replayed game, we've played pikmin 2 like half a dozen times at this point), so we're supes excited to see raocow playin' it!
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Being ahead a couple chapters, I will say

Game isn't necessarily hard, but it can catch you off guard at times.

The thing with a "shitpost" build is that...well, it doesn't really matter that much in RPG terms. Outside of HP/FP/BP, numbers don't really go up that often for Mario, so far as I can tell, and they don't necessarily go up for his partners either (

Unless you use Super Blocks

). The game's difficulty curve is really weird.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

I've been soft-waiting (edit: since Mario & Luigi put RPGs on the table, to be precise) for the day to come that cow would play this! This, not Mario 64, was the Mario game for N64 that i had to have back in the day.

Funny thing is, i have no recollection of that opening movie at all (at least the Bowser part) because i always skipped those as a kid. I don't remember when was the point that i started watching them at least once, but this clearly wasn't it!

Not sure how i feel about the attract mode screen more or less spoiling a bunch of things you're going to see in the game. Maybe there's some feeling of payoff, like "oh this is the thing i saw in the attract mode movie!" when you get to it.
Last edited by Catabo 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Whether raocow would like to use it, or anybody deciding to follow along as he plays, there's an HD texture pack for the game. The YouTube channel for the person making is it "MasterKillua". (I'd post one of the progress report videos, as the pack is technically incomplete, but the thumbnails have some minor spoilers, showing characters that raocow obviously hasn't seen yet.) He's got a link to his Discord, where a channel is dedicated exclusively to releases. There are two versions of the texture pack. One to make the game look like a modern release, with white outlines on the characters; and another without the outlines so it's more accurate to the original, just higher-definition and clearer.

This game looks absolutely amazing when upscaled and the texture pack applied. The paper aesthetic makes the lower-poly environments still look intentional, even with better textures, and the texture pack legitimately makes it look like a modern game.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago The thing with a "shitpost" build is that...well, it doesn't really matter that much in RPG terms. Outside of HP/FP/BP, numbers don't really go up that often for Mario, so far as I can tell, and they don't necessarily go up for his partners either (

its mostly that a lot of "the antis/haters" if you want to call them that (joke, joke), expect raocow to just meme and boost nothing but FP because more attack = more good. if rao ever needs some backseating, just go with whatever you need or whatever's lowest in the current moment while not overspecializing and that should be good enough? that's usually what i do in summon night games.

except that in the strategy rpg ones i tend to work on defense and magic defense more often than not, to not get boned in low level runs or brave clear runs, but you get what i'm saying.

if sebby in the spotzone tries to shit on this lp away from most public eyes on the talkhaus, please block him, even if you don't want to ban him
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago The thing with a "shitpost" build is that...well, it doesn't really matter that much in RPG terms. Outside of HP/FP/BP, numbers don't really go up that often for Mario, so far as I can tell, and they don't necessarily go up for his partners either (

its mostly that a lot of "the antis/haters" if you want to call them that (joke, joke), expect raocow to just meme and boost nothing but FP because more attack = more good. if rao ever needs some backseating, just go with whatever you need or whatever's lowest in the current moment while not overspecializing and that should be good enough? that's usually what i do in summon night games.

except that in the strategy rpg ones i tend to work on defense and magic defense more often than not, to not get boned in low level runs or brave clear runs, but you get what i'm saying.

if sebby in the spotzone tries to shit on this lp away from most public eyes on the talkhaus, please block him, even if you don't want to ban him

the game's extremely obvious that you need to level BP to use more attacks, rather than FP, we honestly wouldn't be shocked if raocow plays this game like we do and just. maxxes BP first. and only levels HP/FP when FORCED to before that point. incidentally we still believe this to be the proper way to play the game

~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago

the game's extremely obvious that you need to level BP to use more attacks, rather than FP, we honestly wouldn't be shocked if raocow plays this game like we do and just. maxxes BP first. and only levels HP/FP when FORCED to before that point. incidentally we still believe this to be the proper way to play the game

pretty much. badges are super fun to use, but i try to work on hp too just in case. im terrible at timed hit minigames

Image Image
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

It's been a while since I've tuned in for all three ongoing LPs. :rao:

I always thought that the original Paper Mario felt cozier than TTYD. It's been a long time since I last played it though, so I'm going to treat this series as a walk through memory lane, regardless of how "well" raocow shows off this game.
Catabo wrote: 1 year ago Not sure how i feel about the attract mode screen more or less spoiling a bunch of things you're going to see in the game. Maybe there's some feeling of payoff, like "oh this is the thing i saw in the attract mode movie!" when you get to it.
To be fair, the Super Mario RPG intro movie also teased a bunch of stuff from later in the game, although it carefully avoided any references to the Smithy Gang. Really nice touch.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

kurt91 wrote: 1 year agoThis game looks absolutely amazing when upscaled and the texture pack applied. The paper aesthetic makes the lower-poly environments still look intentional, even with better textures, and the texture pack legitimately makes it look like a modern game.
I might actually do this and play the game in a year or so, when the memory of the cow LP has become just a little bit stale. Playing the game in HD sounds like a fun way to spice up a challenge run.
PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year agoTo be fair, the Super Mario RPG intro movie also teased a bunch of stuff from later in the game, although it carefully avoided any references to the Smithy Gang. Really nice touch.
As someone with zero experience with SMRPG, except for hearing that Geno forest maze song in way too many hacks: cool!

I agree with PM1 being cozier than TTYD, even tho i like the latter more as a game. I didn't expect to miss the sound of Roland Sound Canvas instruments, but it's got an undeniable charm here.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

before miyamoto and tanabe went full stupid, paper mario the first was considered somewhat more "canon"?

the star spirits were the hosts of mario party 5, and a species coming from this game appeared too

i think they used this particular bowser's castle in super circuit as well
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
raekuul

Re: Paper Mario - A Short Rest

Post by raekuul »

Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

I hope you have fun with this game! It's one of my favorites.

I believe the similarities to the Yoshi's Island are not coincidental. If I recall correctly, the development team was instructed to take aesthetic inspiration from the two Super Mario World games when making this game. This was especially evident in some of the beta pictures and videos floating around, although the game eventually refined it into a new aesthetic.

Unfortunately, I fear the comments and talkhaus thread will be filled with spoilers and unsubtle allusions to future content. I've already seen:
Allusions to the level up, FP, and BP systems. (Minor, I guess... This would be in the manual.)
Spin dashing instructions. (Also minor, I suppose. Although there will be a more natural time to bring this up - when Speedy Spin appears or he starts playing around with it while moving.)
When you unlock action commands.
There's an "expansive area" in chapter 2.
Telling him to go back to the tree with the doll.
The power of Power Bounce. People really can't take off their experienced-player-lenses, huh?
The difficulty of certain bosses (chapter 6).
Anti Guy warnings.
Level grinding in Flower Fields. Now with allusions to the golden flower!

Goombella

from TTYD.

Curses

in TTYD.
Peekaboo and Quick Change.
That you can visit Luigi at Mario's house.
Minh T.'s quest isn't optional.
The existence of multi-hit attacks and how Zap Tap/Volt Shroom interacts with them. Now people have brought up the Fuzzy interaction too.
Luigi's floorboards have been pointed out. And now someone spelled it out, before we even have the ground pound.
The experience system was explained. I guess this is minor, but it's also something he'd discover himself if people just let him.
Trick to the spinning pole secret.
Allusions to cooking and some items being more useful as ingredients than for direct use. Now with hints about when it is unlocked!
The number of HP and FP Plus badges in the game.
Bombette's gender (but not name, at least) one episode before he'll get her because ???
Sushie-Bob-omb interaction. While worded such that it reveals basically nothing about Sushie, which is good, it does hint at the fact that there are no advanced Bob-ombs later in the game.
The existence of hidden blocks. Like ... I guess this isn't a spoiler, but the game will, if nothing else, tell him when he gets Watt...
Partner damage mechanics. A guide thing, I suppose, but again, earlier than necessary.
Kooper will have something to say in chapter 7.
There are

Bob-omb and Koopa

partners in TTYD.
Hints at eventual fast travel. Now fully described, just before he'd likely find it.
Discussion of how partners perform when upgraded even though the game has not introduced such upgrades yet.
The effects of Dodge Master. Now including name!
Will eventually get a ground pound.
There's a

train section

in TTYD.
The fighting style of the "next partner" (Parakarry, in this instance).
Ultra Shrooms and Jammin' Jellies.
The Cookbook and its effects. Including the more obscure one of changing some single-item recipes.
Implied cost of Defend Plus. Which also implies existence, of course.
There's a

Yoshi partner

in TTYD.
Hints that he found the ruins room in the desert before getting the necessary key item.
Tweesters are used to get on top of otherwise unreachable platforms.
Buzzar was a boss fight if he hadn't answered "Luigi".
All of Merlee's effects, even though he had only seen one of them so far.
Hidden room in Dry Dry Ruins.
Sure, just blurt out the names of later bosses (General Guy and Crystal King) in chapter 2 comments lol
Allusions to Peach's point of no return. Thankfully very vague.
Jump upgrade is coming up. Kind of obvious, but...
Goombario's charge has a more practical use later (that is, Multibonk).
There's an important secret in Forever Forest for progression later in the game.
We're about to meet a fan favorite character (Bow)!
I Spy allusions. ...this one might be for the best, though.
There's a third tier of hammer.
And why not the second tier of partner upgrades, while we're at it!
We'll get the partner "Spike" later.
Goombario gets Multibonk (remember that we don't know about ultra rank yet).
Master 3's stats are on the level of the final boss.
There are more optional Anti Guys later.
No Shy Guy partner. Mild, but could have waited until getting Watt, no?
Various two-item recipes.
Rough distribution of fire enemies for the rest of the game. That is, chapter 5 onward.
Last Stand.
We'll eventually face enemies obviously weak to fire.
All variants (including future ones) of Magikoopas have 11 HP.
Kent's tail has no defense and he's weak to sleep.
Won't be able to increase BP again now that he's hit 30.
Rip Cheato sells multiple items, but only the first 10 are worthwhile.
There are Ninjis in this game. Thanks shoutbox.
Triple Dip is somewhere in the Crystal Palace.
Final boss also heals.
Anti Guy Unit exists. At least they didn't say what triggers the battle.
And it seems unlikely to stop anytime soon. EDIT: Ah, why not? I'll add more spoilers here as I see them.
Last edited by Lord Ruby 11 months ago, edited 35 times in total.
a
warpio

Post by warpio »

I'm excited to see more of this playthrough, but I'm kinda bummed to see that the comments are already starting to go out of their way to bring up "Paper Mario civil war politics". I don't know what it is about this franchise's fanbase but this happens in every single discussion thread about the older games ever nowadays. As an avid enjoyer of 2 of the newer Paper Mario games it honestly kinda ruins my enjoyment of internet playthroughs of the older games when they are always accompanied by commenters making toxic potshots at other games in the series that nobody asked for.

Not expecting anything to be done about this or whatever, just wanted to vent. Hopefully it's not gonna be as much of a thing further into the LP.
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

&: Y'know, imagine being Mario in this situation. Dude gets knocked out clean, is passed out for several days, you have a coma dream about some Stars needing your help in specific, and you wake up in a village comprised of like, one inn and one residence house. All the people in the house are the same species as the guys you keep beating up repeatedly, except they're nice, so don't do that. Except also, one of them is named after you, and is a portmanteau of your name, and the name of the species they are. This... Must be awkward for him.

(Also, dreams totally exist in the Mario universe! Our evidence?)
warpio wrote: 1 year ago I'm excited to see more of this playthrough, but I'm kinda bummed to see that the comments are already starting to go out of their way to bring up "Paper Mario civil war politics". I don't know what it is about this franchise's fanbase but this happens in every single discussion thread about the older games ever nowadays. As an avid enjoyer of 2 of the newer Paper Mario games it honestly kinda ruins my enjoyment of internet playthroughs of the older games when they are always accompanied by commenters making toxic potshots at other games in the series that nobody asked for.

Not expecting anything to be done about this or whatever, just wanted to vent. Hopefully it's not gonna be as much of a thing further into the LP.
hey if at any point anyone posts that image please let it stay up just long enough for us to record us groaning in response, and send it
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I've only played the Mario Story-era Paper Mario games so I have no meaningful input on "The Politics." This has less to do with me disliking/boycotting the latter half of the franchise and more just exceptionally bad timing - I couldn't afford Sticker Star at launch and the bad press around "The Politics" scared me off of Sticker Star when I could afford it, never owned a Wii U, and Origami King is running into the same problem Sticker Star originally did.

Which is a shame, since both Color Splash and Origami King look like they'd be right up my alley.

As for Paper Mario 64. This game is a bop. Shame the comments won't let this be a blind playthrough.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Been waiting for this one ever since I heard how Superstar Saga went :rao: It was bound to happen eventually

I've always been a Level 2 FP Evangelist. What are you doing with 6 BP when you hit level 2, equipping Power Jump and Power Bounce? You get a lot more use out of FP at the time level 2 hits, then 3 and up is BP time when you actually have badges to spend it on.
Donut

Post by Donut »

re: The "paper" part of Paper Mario, I think the hidden reason why they chose to make everything paper in the original game isn't some wacky universe reason or even necessarily an aesthetic, but primarily "the Nintendo 64 will burst into flames if we make everything 3D, we had to think of something." Just look how framey the game gets in Goomba Village, a relatively sparse area of the game! This is just my own speculation of course, but if that's the reason why then they certainly owned it - the game's graphics have aged better than a lot of other games on the N64.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago i think they used this particular bowser's castle in super circuit as well
They did. It was one of the GBA games i used to own when i was like 8, along with sonic advance 1-3, pokemon fr and emerald.

Bought it in a toy shop downtown that no longer exists because everytime someone opens a video game store here someone breaks in and steals their shit or they go out of business because most of the stores in my town are small local businesses.

The store owners in my town actually did a petition so a certain supermarket chain (Pingo Doce) wouldn't steal their clientele by including the small restaurant part of the convenience store that it has in like Faro and such, same with another chain (Continente) not having an electronics store (Worten) and such. That's your Koba-lore for the day
warpio wrote: 1 year ago I'm excited to see more of this playthrough, but I'm kinda bummed to see that the comments are already starting to go out of their way to bring up "Paper Mario civil war politics".
hey if at any point anyone posts that image please let it stay up just long enough for us to record us groaning in response, and send it
I actually don't like the way a lot of NPC designs were super neutered, but as long as the games are good I don't mind, I do want to play OriKing and I'll try to give StickStar and Color Splash a shot when I'm able to, despite them being a bit eh (and if I'm able to run CS on my shitty 2014 PC). Please don't be mean to people who enjoy the later games, that's straight up circa-PS3 era JRPG and WRPG fanboy tribalism shit, and I do not want to see that in my RPG communities at all.

gb2 rpg codex with that shit (or smashboards in this case)
Image Image
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

PM1 not making a big deal of the world being made of paper is something i really like too.

Because of calling attention to the fact that Goompa had no hands with which to use the hammer, it occurs to me that goombas and Demo probably have the same situation with having to use a foot to hold things! I don't know, maybe goombas use their mouths too.

I used to be bitter about post-TTYD Paper Mario as a kid, but nowadays i don't have the time or energy or desire to be bitter about things like that and instead just enjoy my nostalgia for the first two games and let people enjoy the other ones. All of the weird arcane rules surrounding Mario as a character/IP these days are the bigger fish to fry if you want to rant about Mario, anyway.
wag a finger at the audience to show how cool you are.png
wag a finger at the audience to show how cool you are.png (199.1 KiB) Viewed 4354 times
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

yeah, it's basically

1 - only for a mostly noncanon intro and a couple visual gags like mario falling to the ground, though the us marketing called attention to it

ttyd - some paper, as a treat (this is also when "mario story" changed its jp branding to paper mario)

super - like none

sticker star onwards - hoo boy
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I've been meaning to play the entire series...Have all the games legit except TTYD. While I doubt I'll get through them over the next year or so, this might be a starting point? We'll see how it all pans out.

Regarding the whole going all-in with BP: I can see the benefit, but given my own experience, I feel like badge swapping's going to be a big thing regardless of whether you put all your levels into that or not. And that's going to be the true test.
Catabo wrote: 1 year ago but nowadays i don't have the time or energy or desire to be bitter about things like that
It's a good philosophy to have. I know some people who are still bitter about gaming stuff from like 10 years ago and...eesh
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image