(shouting)

Superb Demo Survivors - Happy birthday, raocow!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Superb Demo Survivors - Happy birthday, raocow!

Post by Rixithechao »

That's right, ASMT-flavored Vampire Survivors! I'll write more tomorrow, need to get to bed soon.
Download the game here!
Github repository here!

Original post:

beware, it approaches
Last edited by Rixithechao 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: mystery video tonight !??

Post by thatguyif »

..Frog on a skateboard?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago ..Frog on a skateboard?
it happens
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i'd have called it :chazzwozzer:
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago Image
Honestly, that's asking too much of people :pal:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Welp, I’m not going to be able to stay up for long after the video goes live; usually I get to bed long after the Sonic slot (11:30 PM on my end) but I’m getting the latest covid booster with my father tomorrow and we had to schedule it for 10 in the morning. A certain thing that may or may not be mentioned in the video will be happening tomorrow.

EDIT: NVM I'M A FOOL LOL, I'LL DO IT TONIGHT JUST GIVE ME A BIT

edit 2: Aight, it's done. I'm still getting to bed right after watching this but the OP is updated and the repo is public!

Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Superb Demo Survivors - Happy birthday, raocow!

Post by Catabo »

Shout-out to the esthetic (i saw gameplay before, but not the menus and plot stuff)! It all looks and sounds great for something that was put together in such a short time frame. I do feel a little guilty for being in the credits when literally the only thing i did was suggest an enemy. But hey, there's always next time!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Wosha
Moff
First name: Melia
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Wosha »

Had to make an account to mention how absolutely COOL this is ! Played through the first level a couple times and I'm really looking to potential future updates because it's absolutely rad.

First run:
Second run:
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Wait... raocow didn't design the Legal Guardians? I thought they were part of the same set of "newer" ABCDs like the Second Cousins, and that any additional, "canon" ABCDs could only be made by him.

In my various play sessions of this game, I found that it really pays off to be aggro from the start, getting up in enemies' faces and focusing on maxing out your weapons first. Due to underlevelling, there's a lot that wasn't shown off in the video. The furthest I got was Level 77, but in order to grind that much EXP, you have to actively avoid targeting Ee because otherwise she would just melt:
Anyway, happy 40th birthday, raocow! Can't believe I've been watching your LPs ever since you were "only" 25...
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Arright, back from an errand run that ended up not including a booster shot because we got them in October and are still considered up to date as far as Walgreens is concerned. Wasn't a complete wash, though, we at least got some fertilizer and groceries.

I first got the idea for a Vampire Survivors clone... I think mid-fall last year? And just kinda floated the idea around in the spotzone #no-cows-allowed channel. There was some interest, and then folks asked about it again in December. So I downloaded Godot and messed around with it to get a super basic walk-around-a-tilemap prototype by the 30th, then began serious development in early January. Development activity kinda shifted around, there's a thread for it both in the spotzone channel and here in the talkhaus nocows forum, but it largely settled in the ASMT server once Hoeloe and Chaoxys got more involved in the project and Koba stopped keeping up with the forum thread.

I meant to open the repo up at the start of February for a wider collab, but between schedule slips, Godot being an unfamiliar engine to the vast majority of the community, and Hoeloe having a terrible first impression of the engine -- Godot's weird nonstandard quirks didn't mesh well with her and then at one point it corrupted her graphics drivers?? And apparently she's not the only one who's had that problem with the editor??? -- I ended up just keeping it closed-source between me and her until after last night's video. I was ready to finish the whole game myself, but despite it literally bricking her computer for a day, Hoeloe still kept getting more and more involved in this thing; it's no exaggeration to say that Demo Survivors would not have been done on time without her contributions to the codebase, balancing work, and encouragement to keep going when I missed the final deadline I set for myself to prepare a playtesting build. If not for her, we would've just had a trailer and the repo to share last night, if even that! Certainly not a compiled game that raocow and everyone else could play.

Even after I got that playtest build done like three or four days late, there was still so much work to do to address all the feedback we got and make the game actually playable. We did a ton of debugging and bugfixing, smoothing out the growth and difficulty curves, buffing weapons and giving them more spectacle... and a lot of stuff we had planned or tried to add had to be dummied out or put off to future updates. We thought we'd cleared up every last major bug multiple times, only for a new one to rear its ugly head the next day or even a few hours later! Even after I sent raocow the download link, I stumbled upon a new handful of issues in the process of implementing a feature for post-birthday and ended up stealth-patching the Google Drive upload before rao read my PM.

:sanaeko:

So, yeah, tl;dr: development hell happened, how tf did we pull this off

We've been well aware of many of the game's shortcomings and already had a lot of improvements planned for a future update (version 0.2, consider this birthday build 0.1), but raocow's experience in the video and the feedback in the comments will certainly be taken into account as well. We did our best to pre-emptively address issues like the controls and what the player should be doing, but the game doesn't adequately communicate those things and I failed to pick up the slack and properly inform raocow in advance. Like, the game supports full gamepad, MKB and keyboard-only controls and can even switch between the three control schemes on the fly, but the left stick was disabled for menu navigation due to a Godot bug we didn't have enough time to work around. Even just mentioning that in the PM would've helped, but I completely forgot :oops: And I realized after implementing the controls popup that it should've been made to wait for the player input, but due to the way I implemented that screen it would've been too much work and too risky to change it so late in development, so I opted to make it last longer (and I still horribly undershot the timing lol)

With that said, Hoeloe's going to be shifting her attention back to A2XT2 for the time being, and I don't intend to leave her hanging with all of my unfinished contributions to that project, especially given how much this one borrowed from it! I'll be leaving for a week-long family trip on the 11th so I'm probably not going to start work on Demo Survivors 0.2 until around April, and when I do I'll be juggling it with A2XT2 work.

If anyone wants to see the ideas we came up with for 0.2, here’s the planning spreadsheet we’ve been using. Note that not everything listed is guaranteed to make it into the update, and some information might be a bit outdated compared to what we've been discussing in the ASMT server.

If anyone wants to study this project in the Godot editor or potentially contribute to its future development, I strongly recommend at least looking into the Godot editor GPU driver corruption issues before downloading the engine. Hoeloe is pretty technically savvy so she was able to fix her computer, but for anyone who's not, in-editor contributions to this project really aren't worth potentially rendering your computer inoperable. Hopefully a future version of Godot 3.5 (or 4.1, when it comes time to update to that) won't have that nasty glitch. Providing assets like graphics and audio and helping plan out additional content like playable characters, equipment, and stages is safe, so those kinds of contributions are a great way to help out! But I can't ask in good conscience for more help with bringing everything together from people who aren't at least informed and prepared to deal with that risk, if not already having been through the driver corruption and overcome it.

EDIT: Okay, so according to Hoeloe the issue is specifically that Godot doesn’t work well with Nvidia and can sometimes crash Nvidia graphics drivers, but outright driver corruption doesn’t happen unless you’re using the ASUS GPU Tweaks software. If it happens, you’ll need to reinstall both the drivers and GPU Tweaks.

Last but not least, the villains: Ee is Chaoxys' character, whom some might recognize from his Paper AU. The Legal Guardians were fan ABCDs I pixeled two years ago, dug back up for this project, and workshopped their names and characterization with Chaoxys and Hoeloe; Oob is the tall yellow-and-green one, Ace is the cyan one with wheels, Tas is the purple reaper poodle, and PB is the apple. The group name "Legal Guardians" was something I had been considering for them but hadn't settled on until I saw this when looking for this, and the name inspired their evil forbidden babysitters shtick.

Like with the siblings in A2XT Episode 1 and the Uncles in Ep. 2, the plan is that Ee and the LGs will be the end bosses for each main "story" stage of this game; the Thousand Islands with Ee, then one stage for each LG with an Ee refight or two sprinkled in, and

one or two final stages with a boss rush or something maybe

. We've got some ideas for all of these fights, but nothing's set in stone yet. The characters are going to be exclusive to this game, with the exception of Ee possibly appearing in other side projects; in general I do think the antagonistic ABCD ensembles in the main ASMT games should stay raocow originals for however long he comes up with new ones. But this is a spinoff, we can get more fanfic-y with it!

Anyhow, I've written too many words now. Thank for play, raocow! Glad you enjoyed the parts of the game that stuck the landing, apologies for the parts that didn't, and I've said it a bunch in different forms now but here's one more for the road:

Last edited by Rixithechao 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago Koba stopped keeping up with the forum thread.
sorry sib!!!!!!!!!
Image Image
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Nah, don't sweat it, you're fine! You've had your hands full with AAT, and this whole thing was pretty short-notice in a short time frame with no real proper permanent development hub set up. Though on that note, now that the game is public it'd be good to have a subforum here on the talkhaus and a dedicated thread in the ASMT server. But that's something for future me to worry about.

Oh, also here's a music. I had to reupload it after the first version of this video cut off partway through the second loop, and even now this second upload still has a visual error but I don't have the time to redo it again.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago I'll be leaving for a week-long family trip on the 11th so I'm probably not going to start work on Demo Survivors 0.2 until around April, and when I do I'll be juggling it with A2XT2 work.

If anyone wants to study this project in the Godot editor or potentially contribute to its future development, I strongly recommend at least looking into the Godot editor GPU driver corruption issues before downloading the engine. Hoeloe is pretty technically savvy so she was able to fix her computer, but for anyone who's not, in-editor contributions to this project really aren't worth potentially rendering your computer inoperable. Hopefully a future version of Godot 3.5 (or 4.1, when it comes time to update to that) won't have that nasty glitch. Providing assets like graphics and audio and helping plan out additional content like playable characters, equipment, and stages is safe, so those kinds of contributions are a great way to help out! But I can't ask in good conscience for more help with bringing everything together from people who aren't at least informed and prepared to deal with that risk, if not already having been through the driver corruption and overcome it.
Sure hope this leads to more people stepping up to help with this collab; would hate to see you burn out trying to juggle 2 projects with little help. It's a neat thing (even though it's clear to me this genre isn't for me) and I'd hate to see it suffer or die.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

&: Extremely important lore that Rixi forgot to mention: The preliminary placeholder name for the game was "Cyclops Surviveclops". This is incredibly important.
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago
Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago I'll be leaving for a week-long family trip on the 11th so I'm probably not going to start work on Demo Survivors 0.2 until around April, and when I do I'll be juggling it with A2XT2 work.

If anyone wants to study this project in the Godot editor or potentially contribute to its future development, I strongly recommend at least looking into the Godot editor GPU driver corruption issues before downloading the engine.
Sure hope this leads to more people stepping up to help with this collab; would hate to see you burn out trying to juggle 2 projects with little help. It's a neat thing (even though it's clear to me this genre isn't for me) and I'd hate to see it suffer or die.
I'm open to helping with what I'm able to on the coding side (not on the designing side) as I am trying to learn Godot to make a practice Isometric Strategy RPG project. Though I haven't really started it at all yet, it just has the template so far.
camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago &: Extremely important lore that Rixi forgot to mention: The preliminary placeholder name for the game was "Cyclops Surviveclops". This is incredibly important.
was it not Cyclops Surviclops?
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago &: Extremely important lore that Rixi forgot to mention: The preliminary placeholder name for the game was "Cyclops Surviveclops". This is incredibly important.
was it not Cyclops Surviclops?
&: Listen, I didn't remember the exact spelling, I just remembered the sound of it. It's a name that had a ring to it.
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Superb Demo Survivors is making me a fan of the genre, even though I've never played the games it was based on, haha. I played the new birthday version a lot today, and this is my best run so far in terms of stats:
I was dealing up to 259 damage in this run (as Demo). Kinda wish I had Kappatilism instead of Pocket Sheep just to see how high the damage would've been. In the following run (with Iris), I didn't reach as high a level, but I was doing massive damage:
Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago If anyone wants to study this project in the Godot editor or potentially contribute to its future development, I strongly recommend at least looking into the Godot editor GPU driver corruption issues before downloading the engine. Hoeloe is pretty technically savvy so she was able to fix her computer, but for anyone who's not, in-editor contributions to this project really aren't worth potentially rendering your computer inoperable. Hopefully a future version of Godot 3.5 (or 4.1, when it comes time to update to that) won't have that nasty glitch. Providing assets like graphics and audio and helping plan out additional content like playable characters, equipment, and stages is safe, so those kinds of contributions are a great way to help out! But I can't ask in good conscience for more help with bringing everything together from people who aren't at least informed and prepared to deal with that risk, if not already having been through the driver corruption and overcome it.
I would love to help because I like what you all made, but I can't sprite or do high-level coding well enough. I'm afraid I would mess up all of the nice structure with my spaghetti, ad-hoc coding style. I guess I have more of a hacker's mindset when it comes to making games. About all I can potentially contribute are ideas and suggestions for more possible items/features.
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago Image
&: We want this pinned on a fridge. Just any fridge, I'm not particularly picky on that end.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago If anyone wants to study this project in the Godot editor or potentially contribute to its future development, I strongly recommend at least looking into the Godot editor GPU driver corruption issues before downloading the engine. Hoeloe is pretty technically savvy so she was able to fix her computer, but for anyone who's not, in-editor contributions to this project really aren't worth potentially rendering your computer inoperable.
So, for a little more background on this: It seem Godot has some awkward interactions with NVidia, which can sometimes cause graphics drivers to crash. However, it has a particularly bad reaction to a piece of software by ASUS designed to hook into the drivers to allow overclocking and other performance improvements. Personally, I don't use that software for overclocking but it has some convenient features like memory defragmentation, so I have been using it for that. When Godot crashed my drivers, it also seemed to cause something to short circuit with ASUS GPU Tweak, which ended up not only rendering the software inoperable, but causing a cascade of problems across the OS. The fix turned out to be, fairly simply, reinstalling my graphics drivers, and reinstalling GPU Tweak. It took a lot of research and poking things to work that out though, since a lot of programs on my PC simply wouldn't start at the time.

From reading over the issue, as well as my own experience, it looks like it's unlikely to be a serious problem unless you're using this particular software, and if you are, a reinstall can fix it if and when it does occur.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

oh. well then, that does help, and I guess it also explains why my computer couldn’t run the godot 4 betas; I’ve got an ASUS computer with nvidia graphics as well.

Dunno if I have that GPU tweaks software on here but if I do I’m just gonna steer clear of it for the time being. And I’ll go ahead and update my warning with that added info.