(shouting)

SNES Quest - The Journey of 700+ Games

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: SNES Quest - The Journey of 700+ Games

Post by KobaBeach »

okay so this game is like american exclusive so you KNOW it's bad but also i don't think the japan only equivalent is any better

just watch one of the series tbh. i actually should start one of them but i don't want to rn

godspeed if you get to super godzilla, tietuesday basically had to give up on an lp of that one because it's abominably mediocre and moving from place to place takes like 50 hours because goji DOES NOT KNOW how to walk around buildings so going through one takes like five years a piece and it has a mostly full screen animation alongside it
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

KobaBeach wrote:okay so this game is like american exclusive so you KNOW it's bad but also i don't think the japan only equivalent is any better

just watch one of the series tbh. i actually should start one of them but i don't want to rn
Ultraman needs an Ultraplan to pay for all that damage.
KobaBeach wrote:godspeed if you get to super godzilla, tietuesday basically had to give up on an lp of that one because it's abominably mediocre and moving from place to place takes like 50 hours because goji DOES NOT KNOW how to walk around buildings so going through one takes like five years a piece and it has a mostly full screen animation alongside it
Will have to see just how terrible it is when I get there. Though it will be a while, it's #413. :P
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #16: ActRaiser

Post by pholtos »

ActRaiser (USA).png
ActRaiser (USA).png (614.01 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
Game #16: ActRaiser
Release Date: November 1991
Genre: Platformer and God Game
Recommended? Yes

Finally! Another recommended! :P
Joking about that aside, this is a really neat game. It essentially boils down to first complete a platforming segment with a boss. Afterwards you'll be growing the town around where you saved, and once you take out all the monster dens hiding about behind various environmental obstacles, you proceed with the second platforming stage to free that area from evils control.

While the platforming is a bit clunky, it's a really neat combination with a lot of spell options and hidden things to find... some of which are exceedingly hidden to the point you might miss them. You may also need to bring rewards given to you by your subjects to other places in the world and-

Sir pholtos
I know it's unexpected, but our people in TALKHAUS have something to tell you.

And that's a thing.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #17: Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball

Post by pholtos »

Bill Laimbeer_s Combat Basketball (USA).png
Bill Laimbeer_s Combat Basketball (USA).png (635.56 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
Game #17: Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball
Genre: Basketball
Recommended? No

Take a basketball game, put both pass and shoot on one button, don't use much of the other buttons. :P
It's not good. Nothing more to say about this one.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

just checkign in please excuse me.

they should make a sequel to actraiser resurrection, but include a streamlined/easier to comprehend version of actr2's moveset for capital G god alongside the streamlined town management the first game and res had. quintet would be okay with that right?

though knowing squeni they'd probably shove denuvo for the first five months or nfts or whatever

actraiser is an all timer and i don't mind act2 too much. good luck when you get to act2. i think the japanese version is actually easier but not by much. consider this if you ever decide to lp it for reals, still need to try it out
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #18: Darius Twin

Post by pholtos »

Darius Twin (USA).png
Darius Twin (USA).png (528.56 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
Game #18: Darius Twin
Genre: Shoot Em Up
Recommended? If you like shoot em ups.

Another shoot em up where normal difficulty is too much and gaming over equals starting all over. Always a fun time. Though this one does have the whole branching path deal so you can pick your poison, but to get the best ending you have to basically never die and do a specific path. No thanks. :P

On the plus side, all the bosses are silly names and are based off sea creatures so that's nice. :3

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

last i checked, the snes darii are kind of the worst ones (common snes shmup L)

gaiden and g darius are better i think but i don't think you'd like them either
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #19: Final Fantasy "II"

Post by pholtos »

Final Fantasy II (USA).png
Final Fantasy II (USA).png (184.33 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
Game #19: Final Fantasy II (Realistically Final Fantasy IV but the US is silly. :P)
Genre: RPG
Recommended? No.

I bet I'm gonna get a lot of flack for that No recommendation but I have my reasons. :P
To begin with, this game has been ported multiple times, with both the GBA and DS versions being superior products in my personal opinion. So if you were to play this game, I'd say play either of those.

As for myself, I've never been too big of a fan of this game. It does all right at parts, but the party gets constantly switched up and you may end up with a set of characters who have major trouble with survivability or damage or by being Edward (and not being at a high level :P). Essentially almost every character has some sort of major flaw that can cause that character problems, though thankfully the ending party doesn't have too much of that, beyond Edge and what I consider is a defense made out of wet paper.

I'd consider the start solid, and the end fairly solid, but the middle... Yeesh. At a point the game compounds troubles on you, like combining fairly weak characters with a dungeon that forces you to make it through without any metal equipment. Then you'll have to go up a tower which is essentially a major difficulty spike, and from there it compounds into more difficulty spikes.

Eventually you reach the moon, with a party that is heavily reliant on not getting into ambushes which could result in major damage to the two characters with rather flimsy defense. This can be somewhat negated by spending hefty amounts of time grinding up though so feel free to do that. :P

But yeah, my feelings of this game slightly taint the overall recommendation I give for it, but like I said... if you want to experience this game I'd say either play the GBA or DS version.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I honestly don't think it's that outlandish to give it a pass. Like you said, a lot of the ports did the game more justice. The GBA one had a better translation, the DS one came with a new look and souped-up battle system. I liked this one back in the day, but it's getting tough to want to come back to it nowadays. The other versions prop this one up as my second favorite now.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

final fantasy v is still the best one on the snes
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #20: John Madden Football

Post by pholtos »

John Madden Football (USA).png
John Madden Football (USA).png (382.87 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
Game #20: John Madden Football
Genre: FOOTBALL
Recommended? SPORTS

I got nothing on this one, it's a football game. Iunno how to play football games. Iunno how to review football games. :P
SPORTS!

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

aeiou
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

For the first game on the hardware, it was all right. I do think they did way better with the NHL line when it started up, but Madden got better... then got worse just like the NHL games did near the end of the SNES' life. Oops. Series got better on the PS1, then hit its peak in the early PS2 years before all of EA's competition went away. But this one? Yeah, it's okay.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #21: Paperboy 2

Post by pholtos »

Paperboy 2 (USA).png
Paperboy 2 (USA).png (424.54 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
Game #21: Paperboy 2
Genre: Extreme Paper Delivery
Recommended? No.

Take a game from NES, upgrade it to SNES graphics, do nothing to fix the flaws of the first game and add on some extras and bam you got paperboy 2.
Well that's what I think happened here as I've never played the original, and this game is not for me. It's unfair to the player, hard to control, everything living and dead want you dead, and if you somehow dodge the many things killing you your reward is... an obstacle newspaper throwing course. Yay! :D

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

paperboy is an arcade game and the original cabinet's controls were a literal bicycle handle and also the entire game is at an angle so. approachable wasn't in its intentions. they absolutely made the mailboxes smaller than a needle's eye on purpose. i guess causing vandalism is fun but i don't think it does anything other than maybe give you a worse score. man paperboy sucks
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

scoot the burbs~
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #22: RPM - Radical Psycho Machine Racing

Post by pholtos »

RPM - Radical Psycho Machine Racing (USA).png
RPM - Radical Psycho Machine Racing (USA).png (568.39 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Game #22: RPM - Radical Psycho Machine Racing
Genre: Racing
Recommended? If you like racing games, although...

This game is pretty neat, you control a car...
Ok it's got problems. For one they do this annoying thing that I've noticed quite a few racing games for SNES do in splitting the screen in half, forcing you to only use half the screen to visually see what the heck you're doing. For another, you eventually reach this point where you have to use tricks and shortcuts to win the races.

As you progress through the levels and upgrade your own, your AI opponents will likewise level up, and by end game their cars will just straight up be faster than yours. Like no joke some of the courses later on your chances of winning are near zero. But thankfully each level has at least one course in it that you can use to farm up the money needed to progress to the next one, and as such is completely possible to finish. Though your car does have the issue of mysteriously spontaneously combusting if you so much as touch the edge of the track wrong.

The AI does not respond well to zig zags, actually going back and forth along them, where you the player can simply drive straight through them. The game also lets you shortcut, so long as you cross the finish line the same way, how you get there doesn't matter. So that's essentially the secret to this game, find a stage that has a shortcut or a lot of zig zags and farm that. :P

Avoid stages that contain ice cause ice sucks. And the AI drives just fine on ice. Unless said level has zig zags or an extremely obvious shortcut.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #23: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Post by pholtos »

Super Ghouls _n Ghosts (USA).png
Super Ghouls _n Ghosts (USA).png (662.56 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
Game #23: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Genre: Platformer
Recommended? Up til the game says "redo everything to get the true ending!" :D

This game series has got a reputation for being painfully hard. And it's not lying. But not for the reason I think most would consider.
You certainly have only like 1 or 2 hits til death, and then it's back to the start or checkpoint. But it's very very learnable (for the most part) and thankfully the game has a checkpoint for each stage. The music is really nice as well. It also has, if you can make it to gold armor each weapon gets a for the most part neat stronger effect.

But then you hit the end of stage 7. You've gotten great use out of a weapon or two, that very much help you complete the challenges before you. You beat the stage 7 boss and... you have to start over from stage 1. Ok annoying but fine... if you're using an emulator. If not then most likely you've already been playing for hours. Oy. At least the game has a hard to reach level select menu... if you have two controllers.

Now on this new loop, an additional prize is found in treasure chests. This prize is possibly the worst weapon in the game, due to its short range. But you HAVE to have it to beat stage 7 again on this second loop. Which is where the "difficulty" of this game decides to say screw you to the player and make you have to either play through the games hardest stage with the potentially worst weapon (the torch is probably worse) or else play through the whole stage with a weapon you are more familiar with and make sure you get every treasure chest along the way without taking a single hit... and then HOPE you can defeat the dreaded stage 7 pair of bosses to at last make it to the final boss... which I found oddly easy. I didn't die to it.

So yeah. I'd experience this game up til you beat stage 7 the first time, then either setup yourself a code that triggers the "you have the bracelet" flag to warp straight to the final boss or just put the game down. It's not worth it.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #24: Super Tennis

Post by pholtos »

Super Tennis (USA).png
Super Tennis (USA).png (476.39 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Game #24: Super Tennis
Genre: Underwater Basket Weaving
Recommended? SPORTS!

Look out guys, here comes another SPORTS! This time it's...
Tennis!
Hit a ball back and forth, or at least try to!
Tennis!
The game that uses pink balls on a clay court.
Tennis!
Show off the power of 3D through the use of between game transitions!
Tennis!

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

🎾
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

this game was published by tonkin house (ys 3 and 4 snes, light fantasy 1&2, cyber knight 1&2) so you KNOW it's good /hardsarcasm
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Played this through NSO and can safely say that it's not really worth it. That's one sport that didn't click on Nintendo hardware until a certain N64 offering.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #25: True Golf Classics - Waialae Country Club

Post by pholtos »

True Golf Classics - Waialae Country Club (USA).png
True Golf Classics - Waialae Country Club (USA).png (585.71 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
Game #25: True Golf Classics - Waialae Country Club
Genre: Chainsaw Juggling
Recommended? SPORTS!

Take a golf game, give it a polygonal look. All the stuff you need is right there so... honestly it isn't terrible for a golf game.

Don't have much to say about this one. Beyond that the advice person reminds me of Hamada Masatoshi.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #26: D-Force

Post by pholtos »

D-Force (USA).png
D-Force (USA).png (469.49 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
Game #26: D-Force
Release Date: December 1991
Genre: Top Down Shmup
Recommended? No

Hoo boy this game. The premise is pretty cool, you control a helicopter and you get stronger as you collect power ups. Every other stage features this neat multi-level rise drop mechanic... except for the bosses. These rise drop levels are overall way easier. Also for some reason those rise drop levels are about fighting dinosaurs. Cause why not.

But on the flipside you have enemies that appear from behind and killing you, and naturally you only take one hit before blowing up. Beyond that you have bosses with the most confusing hitboxes I've ever seen and a final stage with a boss rush in it. It's just too much. I couldn't manage to complete this one.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

D-Force is by the same dev team (single dev?) as NES Ghosts n Goblins and NES 1942 and NES Super Pitfall and NES Onyanko Town so. Think abt that. This one youtuber and game journalist/historian I watch digs Onyanko Town and it looks kind of fun though, so who knows

Waialae IIRC is a good af golf game, being by T&E Soft of Hydlide fame but like. It's a golf game, it's not for everyone.
Image Image