(shouting)

Fragile Dreams - somehow not an oprainfall game

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Fragile Dreams - somehow not an oprainfall game

Post by Catabo »

............ ok forget about ShinOld Man Joe's motivation. Who went to the trouble to get all those wheeled robots up the stairs of the Tokyo Tower like that?
Lord Ruby wrote: 1 year agoAnd I don't really see how this relates to Sapir-Whorf? If anything, it's its opposite - it asserts that we can think thoughts that we can't express using language, that we do so frequently and for important things, and that that's a huge issue.
I concede my reaction to Shin's stated motivation was too visceral before actually seeing the finale/the truth behind that. He was definitely just using language as an excuse for his actual feelings. Oh well! I'm so used to pop culture parroting "language puts hard limits on the brain" in order to sound smart that i started seeing red way too soon.

I am glad to have experienced this game! I don't know if i would've been satisfied by it if i'd played it back in the day, but i'm glad for the experience.

In conclusion,
cat seto.png
cat seto.png (158.64 KiB) Viewed 426 times
:catplanet2: :catplanet: cat seto! :catplanet: :catplanet2:
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago please double post im begging of u
impossible-to-reprogram habit from the golden age of forums...
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago I'm so used to pop culture parroting "language puts hard limits on the brain" in order to sound smart that i started seeing red way too soon.
probably not the same thing but shout out to lucy's pseudo-intelectual bullshit. hate that movie
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

no yeah double posting is fine, consider this an official decree going forward forever
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

raocow wrote: 1 year ago no yeah double posting is fine, consider this an official decree going forward forever
is triple posting and henceforth still frowned upon unless the Unspoken 24 Hour Rule kicks in?
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

IMO double posting is only annoying sometimes when nobody's had time to read your first post yet -- like you're writing one post and hitting "submit" after every paragraph. (Or if you're replying to several people, each with your own separate post, all in a row. But that's usually more of a 'not used to chronological forums' thing than anything else.)

But like, if you come back to a thread and your post is still the last one there, making a new post is actually better than editing! I didn't see Catabo's edits because the thread looked dormant.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

This game. I mean, first of all, I started watching the LP thinking I was gonna hate it, but turns out I didn't. So that's cool. Anyways, rant time.
Honestly, this game reminds me a lot of some of my earlier writing attempts. It has cool ideas, a nice vibe going on, but the end result is a tad bit clumsy. I feel a lot of that comes from wanting to stick to genre conventions that don't necessarily apply to the story it's trying to tell. At its core, this game's story is a drama about longing and companionship, but it feels they were too afraid of it being boring, so they shoehorned a bad guy at the end who's behind everything and you fight him in a big dumb battle. Like, having combat makes sense since it's a video game and even to this day there's a stigma against walking sims and such, but then they decided to add a villain with an evil plan which is completely unnecessary for the story it's trying to tell and I think it does a real diservice to it.

The reason Shin's entire character isn't thematically appropriate is that even though technically his motivation relates to the themes of the game, said themes get lost when the plot devolves into standard battle anime fare with him at the center. The reason for Seto to look for the silver-haired girl is no longer out of yearning for human warmth, but to sAvE tHe WoRlD from the evil scientist! An evil scientist who monopolizes the plot and makes it all about him. It's no longer about the differences between people, it's about this one dude. Even the AI stuff, which seemed like it was building up towards something, gets ditched because it doesn't concern his evil plan. In the end, adding Shin to the story does not work to tie up anything whatsoever that the game was working to establish. The only real thing he had going for him was his relationship with Sai, but she also feels like she unnecessarily hogs the plot after a while when the first few acts had you change companion each time. It honestly feels like having her related to Shin was more of a plot convenience so that Seto isn't completely helpless (why the heck was her body in the hotel in the first place?).

It frustrates me a little bit, because like I said, it's so similar to something I'd write, so I can very easily see where it stumbles. And in a way, I can't be totally disatisfied with it because the amateurish nature of the game gives it so much charm, where you can clearly see how much the person cared for the story even if they didn't have the technical writing skill to truly pull it off. I think it's cool that they got to tell it, at least, and it deserves to exist. But at the same time, part of me wishes it could see the potential fully realized, because it's certainly there (and so is the floor, most of the time). All the emotions are in the right place, it just needed to have be structured better and have more confidence in what it wanted to do. You don't need to bring Crow back, for example. Him coming back just to die gave off big "you can't have a character in a story that doesn't return later! It's bad writing!" energy. It's fine for him to just go on his own journey and for you to never find out what happens to him. It's fine. Rules are meant to be broken.

But what's not fine is that we were denied Ren wearing a big ol' poncho. And that I can't forgive.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I finally got around to watching this. I think the ending suffered from something that happens a lot with stories that rely on mysterious atmospheric settings, where they start to stumble when trying to explain what is actually going on behind the scenes. It felt like they came up with all these cool storytelling ideas within the setting but couldn't think of a way to properly justify how the world actually got to that point, and we got stuck with what feels like a placeholder ending that didn't make sense or answer any of the main questions about what is going on. The rest of the game did have a lot of interesting writing that made the game as a whole worthwhile, though. I think the game works a lot better if you think of it as a mediation on human relationships like raocow pointed out rather than in terms of its plot.

Somehow i spent most of the LP thinking Sai was the paraplegic dancer because she was introduced in the same area and appears to have limited leg function (even though she has a different name and personality), and i thought that her botanist friend's genetic experiments on flowers were going to be what triggered the apocalypse.