(shouting)

Super Mario Galaxy - Festival Galaxy

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super Mario Galaxy - Bee Galaxy

Post by Mata Hari »

raocow has never LPed Luigi's Mansion. That's fucked up
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Super Mario Galaxy - Big Trouble Galaxy

Post by Classtoise »

same, little guy
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Huh, I forgot that this game has no fall damage. Guess it wouldn't make sense to have it in the first place, seeing how Mario is always perfectly fine whenever he crash lands on the starting planet.

Also, you have quite some restraint to not click and reveal what's inside that big, shiny ? block right away
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago Huh, I forgot that this game has no fall damage. Guess it wouldn't make sense to have it in the first place, seeing how Mario is always perfectly fine whenever he crash lands on the starting planet.

Also, you have quite some restraint to not click and reveal what's inside that big, shiny ? block right away
He thought it might take him to the level if he clicked on it.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago Huh, I forgot that this game has no fall damage. Guess it wouldn't make sense to have it in the first place, seeing how Mario is always perfectly fine whenever he crash lands on the starting planet.

i forget if sunshine had fall damage or not (i think it did) but by galaxy they had fully phased it out and never again will mario take damage from falling from a great height

this is a change for the better, fall damage sucks
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i have not played sunshine in like a year and i honestly kind of want to try and 100% it with a guide but
Crow wrote: 1 year ago this is a change for the better, fall damage sucks
preach

says a lot that in mario 64 you could just bypass it with a well timed ass stomp
Classtoise wrote: 1 year ago TRANS
fart buttoned
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

oh yeah i should add, raocow keeps calling starbits candy and he's not entirely wrong

They are based on this candy called konpeito after the Portuguese term for comfits, confeito. I don't think I've ever had comfits outside of almond and almond shaped chocolate ones, and we just call those drageias (dragée) and amendoas de Páscoa (Easter almonds). They look fucking delicious but since they're just made of sugar and water, they probably have a really heavy sugary taste and I'd probably be done after like a few.

Wikipedia also says that their place of origin is Portugal, but no they don't sell that where I live.
Image Image
Grounder

Re: Super Mario Galaxy - Yellow Rocky Surfing Galaxy

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Don't worry about the crowns for now. Just keep on rolling... but not the kind of rolling you were doing in Rolling Green.
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

I wonder if/when raocow will

fall off the observatory

at any point in the game
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Today's episode reminded me of that one weekend when i rented Dewy's Adventure back in the day. I remember picking out the game because i'd read a preview of it in EGM, struggling with the motion controls, and... that's about the extent of it. Fascinating how sometimes games can erase themselves from our minds with no memory of the actual substance of the game, only that of the things around it.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Bean
Yep.

Re: Super Mario Galaxy - Rolling Moon Galaxy

Post by Bean »

A wooden Yoshi face that can breathe smoke out of its nostrils is now officially recognized as a planet in the Mario universe. Congratulations! Pointed out in the comments and you're probably just acting on reflex, but you can run into an enemy that's spinning out to finish them. No need for another spin, especially with the cooldown thing on it to begin with. Nearly cost you today.
PSI Ninja

Re: Super Mario Galaxy - Dino Star Galaxy

Post by PSI Ninja »

The Koopa Troopas in this game sure look pissed:

That whole airship segment where you had to throw the shells at the background octopuses was cool. It reminds me of Mario Clash (which was probably the intended reference). The camera even locks into place to ensure a reminiscent head-on view. But of course, the practical reason was to make it easier to aim your throws.

And I just noticed this, but a bunch of the newer enemies have this aesthetic going on with their eyes:
KobaBeach

Re: Super Mario Galaxy - Yoshi's Airship Galaxy

Post by KobaBeach »

haha i wonder what the yoshi planet smells like haha just for laughs :)
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago haha i wonder what the yoshi planet smells like haha just for laughs :)
wood
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yes, landing in a smaller zone with motion controls can be a slight issue. But the game's also generous enough to give you all the star bits and a checkpoint along the way, so no big deal.
PSI Ninja

Re: Super Mario Galaxy - Sticky Tangled Path Galaxy

Post by PSI Ninja »

Very appropriate video titles these past couple of days. "Spiderweb" would've also been a good choice for today's video, especially if the title gimmick

was strictly names of galaxies, instead of also including nebulae.

Maybe a reason for some of the misaims in Sling Pod Galaxy is that rao's thumb slipped shortly before releasing the button? That happens to me a lot in games where I need to aim with the analog stick, and I think he's using the stick to move the Wii cursor around. But yeah, there were a couple of near misses, and it can be hard to get the angle right when the target is far away.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Super Mario Galaxy - Shrinking Cosmic Barrage Galaxy

Post by Bean »

Just have to look at the structure of the platforms you're on to find out if you can walk around them or not. The rounded lips for edges are usually how they're distinguished. Another hint is if there's stuff on the underside. Honestly, play around with it. Lives aren't that big of a deal in Galaxy anyway!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

the storybook updates over the course of the game, but you have to start from the beginning every time

if you're interested in it, it might be a good idea to just wait until the end
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago the storybook updates over the course of the game, but you have to start from the beginning every time
noe
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Mata Hari wrote: 1 year ago
Grounder wrote: 1 year ago the storybook updates over the course of the game, but you have to start from the beginning every time
noe
if you meant no, then you are sadly wrong

if you meant nintendo of europe, why would rao be playing the pal version?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I mean no, I've looked at two LPs of it and there was no indication of the storybook starting from the beginning every time it unlocked a new chapter, and I don't remember it doing that because it would be dumb if it did. Unless I'm misremembering and the LPers did some really sick editing which is not impossible
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I know most people prefer the ones in the sequel, but Super Mario Galaxy has my favorite Bowser battle. For example, in Super Mario 64, you had the bombs around the arena. They aren't used for anything, I don't think you can hurt yourself with them even if you jump out to them, and if Bowser didn't keep them around, you wouldn't have a chance. Sunshine didn't even feel like a boss fight, it felt like a prolonged platforming challenge to simply tip his hot tub over. (I won't get into detail with Odyssey, but that one felt stupid and forced as well. He willingly goes against what he's proven to have learned about Mario's new abilities and how to counter/prevent them throughout the fight, WHY?)

On top of that, this one actually feels like a legit fight. The only stupid thing Bowser does is the slamming attack to create shockwaves, which is what gives you an opening, but you have to actively lure him into the spots where he'll get burned, so it's not quite as bad. Plus, being so short-sighted with temper and rage that he's only looking to smash Mario and losing track of his surroundings is 100% something Bowser would do. It feels like a natural fight. Finally, you're not even tricking him to deal damage, you're tricking him just to get him to lower his guard and open himself up for a round of pummelling, and even then, he's smart enough to turn around and run away until he's no longer on fire, you have to take advantage of the arena's characteristics further to catch up to him. Like I said, it feels like an honest fight between two characters.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

the storybook picks up wherever you left off
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

hm, well, i guess i was wrong, then
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...