(shouting)

BLλCK MESA - Goodbye Gordon

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
strongbadman

Re: BLλCK MESA - Thank god every nuclear power plant has a cache of grenades that's mandatory to be there.

Post by strongbadman »

Yeah I seem to recall the blast pit being a sore spot in black mesa. They overtuned the monster so he's just super sensitive to sound and will just immediately rush you if you make any noise.
Grounder

Re: BLλCK MESA - Thank god every nuclear power plant has a cache of grenades that's mandatory to be there.

Post by Grounder »

what a thrill
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

A little sad the thread title isn't "Gordon there's no power! Gordon there's no fuel! Gordon there's no OXY!" But I think the thread titles have been mostly dr. coomer quotes anyways.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

strongbadman wrote: 1 year ago A little sad the thread title isn't "Gordon there's no power! Gordon there's no fuel! Gordon there's no OXY!" But I think the thread titles have been mostly dr. coomer quotes anyways.
Bubby just isn't as eminently quotable as the rest of the cast unfortunately
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
strongbadman

Re: BLλCK MESA - You're a nasty little sewage boy, aren't you, Dr. Freeman?

Post by strongbadman »

I just think about that one a lot.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

That shiny new magnum you got only holds 18 shots (plus the 6 in the gun) and is pretty powerful, it might be q good alternative to the shotgun if enemies are a bit far away.

I don't know why you're not getting contact grenades, the United States Military hasn't been using them against you either. The 'cameras' you're getting are the trip mines, AKA the blue lasers on walls you've been seeing. They're...not really useful, since you're the one running into the soldiers instead of vice versa, and they don't really follow you in a way that makes them work. There are some parts of the game where you're ambushed, but that requires knowing when you're going to be ambushed.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

man, the clinicalness of black mesa (location, not game) is making itself apparent by this point

half-life 2 had so much more variety
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

also is it just me or is the thread title weirdly suggestive?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

"yeah, swearing! that makes you sound mature!"

Look, these guys don't have a cowman to watch and learn that you don't need to swear all the time to have a good time. They're also not so lucky when it comes to new age vs old age on the emulator tools front, because this game literally gives you a "save state" and "load state" button as a legit part of the gameplay. I never really knew how to feel about that.

Around here is probably more like right after where i stopped playing. I remembered the silo hydra, but not the big guy.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
xnamkcor

Re: BLλCK MESA - forzen.

Post by xnamkcor »

I don't know if this game has it, but if you want to use the revolver as a long range:
Hold "Suit Zoom".
Aim.
Press and Hold "Primary Fire".
Continue aiming.
When ready to fire, let go of "Suit Zoom".
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

at that point you might as well just switch to the old style revolver zoom in settings
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Shard1697 wrote: 1 year ago at that point you might as well just switch to the old style revolver zoom in settings
Whatever gets you the longest aim.

Edit:
raocow, if you're a fan of getting stick in a cave and then dying, try Holdover. It's a Japanese free PC game.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago "yeah, swearing! that makes you sound mature!"

Look, these guys don't have a cowman to watch and learn that you don't need to swear all the time to have a good time. They're also not so lucky when it comes to new age vs old age on the emulator tools front, because this game literally gives you a "save state" and "load state" button as a legit part of the gameplay. I never really knew how to feel about that.

Around here is probably more like right after where i stopped playing. I remembered the silo hydra, but not the big guy.
Well, there are some achievements that get disabled if you save, at least.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

"X-ray contact" probably just means "X contact" since X-ray is the military phonetic for the letter X, which i imagine stands for "xeno" since you know, aliens.

Or maybe the aliens just emit x-rays! :partygator:
Ivy wrote: 1 year agoWell, there are some achievements that get disabled if you save, at least.
Good to know!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Grounder

Re: BLλCK MESA - A TRIANGLE...

Post by Grounder »

pressure, pushing down on me, pushing down on you, no one asked for

why doesn't gordon try to hotwire a military vehicle? :?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm pretty sure that would be illegal
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago pressure, pushing down on me, pushing down on you, no one asked for

And go where, exactly?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

strongbadman wrote: 1 year ago
Grounder wrote: 1 year ago pressure, pushing down on me, pushing down on you, no one asked for

And go where, exactly?
same place he's already going, but with a bit more protection
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Look, these guys don't have a cowman to watch and learn that you don't need to swear all the time to have a good time.
Except he also swears
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Question of the day:
Has anybody ever seen a "Security" vehicle that says "Call 911"?
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Shout-out to the music transitioning when going through that gate! Yes, it ended up overstaying its welcome, but it was still cool while it was happening.
thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago

Look, these guys don't have a cowman to watch and learn that you don't need to swear all the time to have a good time.
Except he also swears
This is why i included "all the time", conceding that he does swear sometimes (that one YUMP video comes to mind), and i figured i didn't need to include "in English" as an extra qualifier since the characters in this game are all speaking English only in the first place.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago
thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago

Except he also swears
This is why i included "all the time", conceding that he does swear sometimes (that one YUMP video comes to mind), and i figured i didn't need to include "in English" as an extra qualifier since the characters in this game are all speaking English only in the first place.
Regardless, I know it was meant as a joke of sorts, but the whole "swearing=maturity! lul" is still a smidge disingenuous. Enlisted, especially Army and Marines, do swear a lot, at least in the States. (Officers, it's uncommon, though it still happens.) It's just part of the culture of being in the service, so it's not that unusual for them to swear more often than not, especially when talking with one another. (I dunno what it's like up north, though raocow might actually know something about this...I faintly recall him mentioning his dad being in some branch of the CAF)

Like, this is definitely not a GTA-style situation of excess swearing for its own sake.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

thatguyif wrote: 1 year agoRegardless, I know it was meant as a joke of sorts, but the whole "swearing=maturity! lul" is still a smidge disingenuous. Enlisted, especially Army and Marines, do swear a lot, at least in the States. (Officers, it's uncommon, though it still happens.) It's just part of the culture of being in the service, so it's not that unusual for them to swear more often than not, especially when talking with one another. (I dunno what it's like up north, though raocow might actually know something about this...I faintly recall him mentioning his dad being in some branch of the CAF)

Like, this is definitely not a GTA-style situation of excess swearing for its own sake.
My riff on poking fun at military mans in a game swearing a lot was not intended to be a call-out to real-life military personnel. Soldiers in combat definitely have plenty of reasons to swear. I think it came off as silly to raocow in the first place because the in-game soldiers are constantly cycling through like ten quips of dialogue.

edit: going back to my original joke, i presume if there are military out there who watch raocow (pretty likely someone has at some point!), they would still swear a lot because yeah, that is part of military culture. But as a civilian, raocow has inspired me to swear and cheat in games less than i used to. My vainly prescribing to others what has worked for me is part of the joke.

non-double-post edit: finally, we've got the prerequisites for a Half-Life game!

part where you navigate a derelict environment ✓
part where you shoot the shootmans fight the mans ✓
part where you raise a beautiful family
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

So, raocow missed the other half of the last emergency broadcast. It's worth listening to, just to get a sense of what has gone wrong:

In short: The US was about to nuke New Mexico in a feeble attempt to contain the resonance cascade. You don't order a mandatory statewide evacuation for "air strikes."

These broadcasts are not in the original game, but do a good job of conveying just how bad things got outside.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

The "i've been industrial-complexed out" bit brought something to mind: Black Mesa is sort of a TIM Island analogue. It's a secret [island in the middle of the ocean/facility in the middle of the desert], but by necessity to do/make the things you need your facility to do/make, it more or less needs to be its own city full of inhabitants, very few of whom contribute directly to the secret projects you're trying to do/make but all of whom have to be willing to keep the secret from the public. There's already enough conspiracy/meme culture around Area 51 in real life; people would be raving about Black Mesa nonstop even before anything out of the ordinary happened there.

"but it,s video game not real life" Doesn't make it any less fun to wonder about how the heck the logistics of this place would work!