(shouting)

Guacamelee! 2 - lucha de apuestas: MÁSCARA CONTRA MÁSCARA

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - puñetazo

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago do you honestly see rao racking up massive combos on the regular?
Powering up the special moves makes them raise the combo counter higher, and I believe the special throws also boost the counter (but I also fully expect raocow to forget they exist), plus as noted above Flame Face has a skill that lets you get hit a few times without losing combo.

With all of that, a 25-hit combo is almost effortless, and a 50-hit combo isn't really harder to get than a 25-hit combo without any upgrades. Basically, skill synergy makes it profitable even if you're not very good at comboing.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Grounder

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - martinete

Post by Grounder »

it appears i have been outvoted
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
strongbadman

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - martinete

Post by strongbadman »

I think getting these combos is doable, but raocow's either gotta start dodge rolling more or at the very least not just standing there and taking hits whenever there's a second enemy coming towards him.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - senton

Post by thatguyif »

So...as some of you may have deduced, the theme in this thread is lucha moves and terminology.

Today's thread title perhaps could have been today's video title, since a senton is basically what raocow tried to describe in his title.

Food for thought :pal:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - vuelo de trueno

Post by thatguyif »

One thing worth considering investing first is some Stamina-based skills, especially if you're going full aggro/rudo. Getting more Stamina coins doesn't change the fact it takes more than a second for stamina to start recovering, which in a fight with many many enemies (i.e. any fight with Axuls) or require you to break shields a lot means you run out very quickly. At least get the Recovery Rapida, since that halves recovery time.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
helucard

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - lucha de apuestas: MÁSCARA CONTRA CABELLERA

Post by helucard »

Eyy, we got the 2-for-1 special at KFC
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Grounder

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - lucha de apuestas: MÁSCARA CONTRA CABELLERA

Post by Grounder »

you can really be an asshole in this game, huh
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
thatguyif

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - salto mortal

Post by thatguyif »

To be fair, that car had it coming. It did some reprehensible things.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
helucard

Post by helucard »

Wow, this really is the darkest timeline if these guys are fighting eachother...
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

helucard wrote: 1 year ago Image
Wow, this really is the darkest timeline if these guys are fighting eachother...
tag team
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
thatguyif

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - triangular de la muerte

Post by thatguyif »

I was trying to remember if I ever did the Proving Grounds. Played this game in 2019, back when my (first) Switch was still new, but I didn't remember the game having the Proving Grounds when I bought it.

Then I saw the glide trial. The memory of having to gold that garbage came flooding back :monstrosity:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I remember only finding one of these challenges to be particularly troublesome to get Gold on, but I don't remember which it was. I don't remember these challenges all that well overall, but I think I only did them once, while I've done the first game's challenges several times.

The obstacle courses are generally just a matter of learning the route and then not making mistakes. The combat challenges are generally easier to get Gold on than the ones in the first game, because you just need to win a certain number of rounds rather than getting high combo counts (which would be easier than it is in the first game anyways thanks to all the combo skills).
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i remember the space invader one being super rough myself, lol
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

CROW T. ROBOT IS NOT A MONKEY!!!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

oh!

now I recognize him
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago CROW T. ROBOT IS NOT A MONKEY!!!
while you're absolutely right to say this as I had the same reaction, it's kinda hard to blame anyone for missing backgroound references in this game because they're more densely saturated than even the first game
thatguyif

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - jaguar del rudo

Post by thatguyif »

Yeah, there's a lot of oversaturation, which makes it easy to miss a lot of references. Of course, we haven't even hit the worst offenders yet.

That said...raocow, you do remember that you can dodge the bones being thrown at you, right? Right?

Right?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - jaguar del rudo

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Well, he didn't remember that he couldn't dodge the guy pounding the ground.

Anyways, note that raocow went from spending nearly all his money to getting 10k in the space of this video. Those combo skills really add up! Getting money for the rest of the skills shouldn't be a big concern from this point on.

He does still need to get kills with Pollo Shot and Pollo Slider to unlock the next level of power for them. This seems like a good excuse for using Pollo Slider on spiders, but I'm not sure if he's going to encounter any more.
thatguyif

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - torpedo plancha

Post by thatguyif »

Yeah, that's certainly true. While I was hoping he'd get Recovery Rapida (which would solve his stamina recovery issues), but he's reached a point where that's nearly no longer an issue.

Two things about today's video:
  • The black neon colored skeletons are basically elite versions of the skeletons you fought. I don't remember if every enemy type in the game gets that treatment, but quite a few do.
  • The world map is the same as last game: Dull gray medals indicate you've yet to visit the area, bronze-ish medals indicate you have visited but not fully cleared (i.e. gotten all items) the area, gold means you full-cleared. From the two seconds you viewed the World Map in today's video, I saw that Templo del Obsidian was gold, so you do NOT need to return there when you do your cleanup/Chicken Key videos.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I'm pretty sure that when you hit the spikes after getting the first chest today, it reverted to before you got the chest. Not that it's super-important, but you'll have to get it again during cleanup. Also seems silly that you didn't open the shortcut backwards near the start of the video. Okay, you might not need to take that path at any point, but why would you pass up the chance to destroy a block?

Also: Wall Run counted as an uppercut for shield/block-destroying purposes in the first game too, that's not a new thing here.
BeckySFairley
First name: Becky
Pronouns: They

Post by BeckySFairley »

the code on the wall at 1:40 of episode 18 - It is the code from Fez didn't translate it myself but found it it is another silly background joke:

"Why do they call it ovaltine the mug is round the jar is round they should call it roundtine"

Edit: Looking up why it is - There was a Fez code in one (because the game came out a year after Fez) which said "Be sure to drink your ovaltine" which is a reference to "The Christmas Story" (Which I have not seen.)

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

BeckySFairley wrote: 1 year ago the code on the wall at 1:40 of episode 18 - It is the code from Fez didn't translate it myself but found it it is another silly background joke:

"Why do they call it ovaltine the mug is round the jar is round they should call it roundtine"
Screen_Shot_2021-05-19_at_12.24.40_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2021-05-19_at_12.24.40_PM.png (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1291 times
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Replaying the first game in hard mode has made me realize how in-your-face the sequel’s references are. That said, my sense of humor is broken so I don’t mind at all.

BTW, hard mode is hard. They remix the arenas with more difficult enemy formations, and many platforming challenges have additional obstacles. Not to mention that enemies have 1.5x health and damage values. Usually I’m not a fan of “harder cause you take more damage,” but in normal mode everything deals so little damage that you can just facetank through the whole game. IMO hard mode’s damage values should be the standard.
thatguyif

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - patadas voladoras

Post by thatguyif »

Yeah, I've been thinking about doing Hard Mode at some point. Not sure when, though.
BeckySFairley wrote: 1 year ago "Why do they call it ovaltine the mug is round the jar is round they should call it roundtine"

Edit: Looking up why it is - There was a Fez code in one (because the game came out a year after Fez) which said "Be sure to drink your ovaltine" which is a reference to "The Christmas Story" (Which I have not seen.)
The line, though, is a reference to Seinfeld, where there was this one episode where Jerry's rival uses that as his go-to joke.

Still, I was kind of surprised at seeing that Fez bit.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Guacamelee! 2 - patadas voladoras

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I found that with experience from a first run, hard mode wasn't too bad overall. The toughest part was early on, before getting health upgrades or most of the trainer skills.