(shouting)

ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - the last VIP we will ever see...

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Daizo

ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - the last VIP we will ever see...

Post by Daizo »

Rakugaki Mario, a japanese styled romhack lead by Heraga in the realms of vip2's design philosophy (e: and other 2007-2009 Japanese Hacks) created with older smw hacking tools, even having some of the japanese community involved. Is it as authentic as the olden days of yore (or, smwore)? Guess we'll find out!

Download Hack

1 - grassy walking trail
2 - fear of the porcupuffer
3 - shell festival
4 - no music, no life
5 - cookie mountain
6 - haunted hall
7a - don boo and the ghost house
7b - totally fun lift hell
8a - oddly noisy storehouse
8b - 🆁 block road
9 - hurry! blue switch
10 - surprisingly cramped
11 - ( ^ω^) woosh-lu-whee-lala
12 - the castle that scrapes the clouds
13 - once you notice, it'll be too late
14 - deep in the forest
15 - the many uses of a switch
16 - night of an unseen horror
17 - do your job, cameraman! lol
18 - → ↓ ← ↑ ← house
19 - loop that layer 2
20 - 🆁 hurry! muncher nest
21 - rhythm heaven
22 - pipesy-daisy!
23 - wendy's *cool* attraction
24 - robusted bridge
25 - (∀)°°
26 - back to the good ol' days
27 - the airy red switch
28 - clash on the vip bridge
29 - a showdown with lemmy!
30 - panic on the ropes
31 - oh-so-sultry cave
32 - 𝑹 wahTUh LenD
33 - shallowing toxic water
34 - scale the castle walls
35 - the mansion of ice
36 - thrill lift 2
37 - h e w h o i s c l o s i n g i n
38 - really dreadful switch palace
39 - foot of the frozen mountain
40 - chargin' chuck playground
41 - purple storehouse
42 - dive and rush! green switch
43 - boon's house of tricks
44 - a is for amy, who fell down the stairs
45 - bowser's castle 1
46 - bowser's castle 2
47 - ( ^w^) smooooth~
48a - alright then, time to get serious
48b - surprinsingly unpleasant
last - 48c - dodge the beefsteak

Spoilers: the answer was yes...and also there's some kind of message about "be careful what you wish for".
Last edited by Daizo 1 year ago, edited 64 times in total.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
Heraga

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - Not everything is at it seems....

Post by Heraga »

Hi there, I led this hack. I'm surprised raocow is playing this so soon and to be honest I'm surprised even alongside SMWCP2 this was chosen but I'm excited (and a bit nervous) nonetheless. I will post some level commentary (alongside authors, spoiled albeit) for each level played daily, but I also want to use this post to talk about the hack a tad bit more.

So Rakugaki Mario's gestation occurred back in April of 2021 and was the culmination of two things. The first was a personal project I was putting together at the time, attempting to archive a bunch of older SMW technology and resources, a lot of which up until that point had not been properly archived and could very easily be lost forever. Alongside preservation, I wanted to put together a bit of a blogpost about how SMW hacking had evolved overtime, and illustrating this with small 5ish level hacks that would use tools from each era I went over. For example, a 2000-2001 era hack that used LM1.0 and a super old ExAnimation tool that FuSoYa himself provided to me, a 2002-2005 era hack that would focus on simple blocks and ExGFX, a 2011 sorta item-babysitting Tails155 style hack and ect. Of course, one of the planned hacks would've been a 2007-2008ish hack using tools and resources from the era to rep the sort of Japanese Hacks that existed around the time. I started working on that one first, because (given my own background and history with SMW hacking and raocow) that one had the most emotion behind it to me, though it was originally still a small scope thing in-line with the other hacks I was planning.

It was around this time though that I was talking to rextep, and him and myself had started rewatching some of raocow's older VIP playthroughs, specifically his oyster-era ones and specifically of VIP2. Looking back the translation quality, while allowing for funny moments, made the hack almost nonsensical at times. It was around this time that I had the idea with rex about doing a hack that had so many incomprehensible level names and message boxes that it'd be hard to figure out puzzles (going as far as to have "fake cultural notes" about supposed level name sources). Given I already had all the resources to do such a hack with the materials I had been archiving, I figured giving it the backdrop of a "lost Japanese hack" would be fitting, with the idea of what an Oyster-fixed hack would be like if modern hack fixing tools existed back then. This idea, though, was dropped pretty quick for two major reasons-- the first is that people took the hack rather seriously, and I didn't want to devalue anyone's work by making something intentionally jokey/meme-y. The second was that there were "big name" people involved (mentioned below), and I didn't want to do a disservice to them. As a result, the hack became something more of an earnest tribute rather than a joke, which I think was a better idea in the longrun.

Anyways, so you'll see on the hack page, but a lot of pretty famous creators from that 2007-2008 era ended up contributing to this hack. I actually asked a lot of people, mainly from the JP hacking scene, if they were interested and surprisingly many were. My thought process was to try and make the hack more authentic, it should have levels from people who contributed during that era. For those curious, here's a full list of people asked (includes people who didn't make levels FYI!):
Anikiti (Luigis Advneture, Mariox World, ect)
Isikoro (Isikoro Mario)
MST (Memorial Service Tempest)
Kitikuchan
Stens (BOOM Mario, ASPE Contributor)
SIG (Super SIG World)
Wagokoro (SUPER, VIP6 Organizer)
Brt_N (Organizer for ASPE Mario)
Sui (SUI Mario)
Smitho (OTL Mario Creator)
660 (Main VIP Artist)
Kona (Marina World)
Miyabi
Naari3
Akaginite
Homing (AddmusicM Creator, VIP6 Organizer)
DaiGaDai (Kouhai Mairo)
Pogyo (Cape Hacker)
Nanigashi-Kun (Bowser Castle Designer for VIP6)
Haimari (Hyper Series)
ABC_Ore (Takumi Mario, Tatsujin Mario)
FPI (Second Reality Project)
NGB (VLDC10 Winner)
Jolpengammler
rextep
lolyoshi
Truxton
Adam
OnlineVideoSurfer (The New Mario World)
Morsel
ft029
Ryrir
Gbreeze
Sokobansolver
Nitrogen
SMWizard (Super Special World)
LunaStarshine (SMW Lost Levels)
Atomic-Citrus (Super Compact World)
Reading (SMW Infinity)
CosmicTiff (Plombier du Fromage)
Golden Yoshi (HACK Series, SMW+)
Daizo Dee Von (100 Rooms, R-ACK, Various Hacks)
Squirrelyman157
Wakana
Sariel
RussianMan (Marisa and Reimu hacks, Russian World)
NewPointless
yogui (Something Series)
Valentine
WhiteYoshiEgg (Plumber For All Seasons)
Centipede (Constant VLDC Top 10 Placer)
Agent Q (VLDC9 2nd Place, Constant VLDC Top 10 Placer)
PokerFace (SMW Piranha Island)
yoshi9429
Lui
Darolac (Scary Bosses, Of Jumps and Platforms)
KevinM
Koopster
ShinyNinetails
StrikeForcer
ECS.98 (VLDC11 11th Place)
Aeon (VLDC Judge, VLDC10 10th Place)
AgeVerrily
Of course, not everyone from this list contributed, a fair amount of people did, and even more responded at the very least wishing good luck on the project. Avid raocow viewers will probably recognize Jolpengammler, rextep, Yogui, Daizo, Anikiti, OnlineVideoSurfer, Pogyo, PokerFace, NGB, Valentine, ECS.98, and a few others who've shown up from time to time.

Also, raocow mentioned this in his video but I'll touch on this again as well (despite also mentioning it above...). To preserve authenticity of the era, this hack was made actually originally in Japanese, using tools and resources from 2007-2008. This mainly included Lunar Magic 1.63 (from 2005), JonWil's Blktool (from 2003-2004), Mikeyk's SpriteTool 1.22 (from 2006), and Romi's Addmusic 4.01 (from ~2007-2008). Originally this hack used Addmusic Java, which was the very first Addmusic released in 2007. However, issues with Space required us to upgrade to Romi's tool, which also allowed for some additional tracks (including a special port Anikiti made for the hack). This meant that a lot of the resources from the hack are the ones included in the tools, although a good portion of resources were also made for the hack specifically. On the side of Graphics, despite not making a level, 660 (all around VIP Artist) provided to me his graphics folder of art and resources from around 2006-2007, which is where most of the graphical rips in the hack from. I'm extremely thankful for all of 660's work over the years, and his small contribution towards this hack.

Speaking of "people who worked on the hack but didn't make levels", I want to quickly mention that Wyatt and Masterlink, who helped with some additional porting and MML fixing, without them I don't think the hack would have turned out as well from an audio standpoint. I also want to mention Meatloaf (who created the "lost mario" Hackjam entry and whose boss provided great inspiration to me), who graciously was able to create a custom boss for the hack. Additionally, ASMagician Maks, This Eye o Mine, and SimFan also all greatly helped with getting the hack fixed for hardware. While technically not a THFTT Translation/Fix, the tools that Eye and Maks made were used, and I even went as far as to include (actual) cultural notes that can be applied if desired.

Anyways, that should be all the introduction related things out of the way. Before going into the level commentary, I want to mention how I forsee (currently, anyways) this LP going. This hack I think is entirely within raocow's skillzone, though there will be a lot of difficulty spikes / drops, but I think that is par for the era. The only exception to that is the last level, which currently is hard even for the most seasoned of SMW Professionals. For raocow, the only comparable challenge I can think of that captures the "feel" of the level is the Hollownest Pantheon (which was slightly intentional), both in length and difficulty. I think raocow would have a far better time playing with savestates after each room or so akin to how the end of YUMP2 was handled, but I guess time will tell how things shake up.

With that out of the way, let's get to level commentary. Authors will be spoiled.

Horse's House
Level By---

Heraga

A simple Yoshi's House. The gag of the single mushroom every time was inspired by a similar joke in Morsel's MaGL3 entry. There is a better more "traditional" washing machine lifefarm in World 2, placed specifically right before the "hard" levels start to creep up. In the original, Detteiu was used in place of "Horse" much in the same way the VIPs handled it. Detteiu was chosen to be in-line with how modern THFTT hacks treat the level name,
Kouhai Mountain
Level By---

Heraga

One of the first few levels made for the hack, though not made with the intention of being the first level. A lot of japanese hacks tend to start with 105 level edits, but the creator thought it'd be funny instead to start with a 106 (Yoshi's Island 2) level edit. This level was made in 40 minutes roughly. While unintentional, the palettes, a few setups, and beginning are apparently fairly similar to a level from SMW Gaiden that was removed during development.
Yellow Switch Palace
Level By---

Truxton

Originally this level had a vanilla palette, but all the other switches had custom colors, so I added a custom one here last minute. The creator made this level in modern Lunar Magic because they hated 1.63, but because it was entirely vanilla and worked fine when imported into 1.63, I let it slide.
Playground
Level By---

rextep

Another early level made for the hack. An attempt at replicating the feeling of amateur/early-game VIP levels. Despite the red switch appearing, you won't be seeing it for quite some time. The feather at the start is intentional, and provides the player with a fairly easy cape farm early in the game for those who may need it. Did you know this level has a hidden moon in it?
As mentioned at the top, extremely good luck to raocow for what's coming next, though it should still be pretty cozy for the next few videos at the least. I wanted to make a project like this to carry on the legacy of what these old hacks meant to me, something that's been fairly lost in modern times, and watching just the first video made me nostalgic for over a decade ago. I hope you end up having a good time, no matter what the hack throws at you!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i'm ラクガキ and so's my 妻
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

my two thoughts on heraga's commentary

1. holy crap anikiti's alive?!?

2. funny how this hack has a custom boss and yet easily the most iconic boss that raocow has ever played in a hack, AND from the hack i would consider to be THE peak 2008 hack at that, isn't even custom in any way besides the graphics and, as megamind would say, PRESENTATION

on a slightly more dour note, i have to say beyond that one glorious moment the super mario infinity duology has not held up, sadly. i understand how amusing it is to call TSRP2's levels "compact" when you compare them to the original SMW, but they're downright Fun Size compared to the SMI series' levels and i can thus actually still recommend TSRP2 (bizarrely, even over 2 Reloaded in several ways) for those who are okay with its difficulty
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I saw a SMW thumbnail appear in my youtube notifications today, and I am back from the dead to watch this unfold

The concept described at the beginning of the video piqued my interest, and after reading Heraga's post above I'm all in for this. I love the mission of recapturing earlier eras of SMW hacking, and especially the era this game takes inspiration from, which is when I first discovered romhacks. The Vip series is basically the only series of hacks that really made an impression on me, and I think they're the perfect games to take inspiration from with something like this.

Very excited to see where this goes!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

misadventures in window resolution

I actually thought it was gonna be Production but either way I'm happy. I'm very bad at this game (raks not SMW) and I'm glad I can enjoy raocow going through the game to mentally prepare myself for the oncoming disasters. Speaking of SMW, I hope we manage to see some more of the ones in the bucket mixed in with the non-SMW affairs in the future.
TiKi wrote: 1 year ago funny how this hack has a custom boss and yet easily the most iconic boss that raocow has ever played in a hack, AND from the hack i would consider to be THE peak 2008 hack at that, isn't even custom in any way besides the graphics and, as megamind would say, PRESENTATION
black plague was the only good thing about smi2 and it wasn't even intended to be good in that way

vip2 is better somehow
Heraga wrote: 1 year ago On the side of Graphics, despite not making a level, 660 (all around VIP Artist) provided to me his graphics folder of art and resources from around 2006-2007, which is where most of the graphical rips in the hack from. I'm extremely thankful for all of 660's work over the years, and his small contribution towards this hack.
I think you should give a look through AAT's innards sometime, I might have taken a few of his rips from VIP and other JP hacks on my stages. Definitely Anikiti (metal man gears from LA 2008 Bowser) and carol (Romancing SaGa 3 aurora) graphics too.

EDIT: why the fuck did i type RIP instead of rip
Last edited by KobaBeach 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

oh boy, this is going to be an experience. i actually found this hack on a certain japanese hacking website, before seeing it on smwcentral. since it had no indications on the title screen, i thought it was an ancient japanese hack for real. i eventually found out it wasn't halfway through world 2. i played this thing fully with states as i would have in 2010, and i love it for what it is. however, i think the difficulty has been quite understated by heraga. i hope raocow is going to have a good time throughout (aka resort to tools usage before huge pain and suffering occurs)
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - tergiversatione in carnis

Post by Slimeman01 »

MAN, as someone who loves the vibes of older Mario ROM hacks (despite not necessarily growing up playing them), I already know I'm going to LOVE this series. I grew up watching old ProtonJon Mario hack let's plays, specifically Mario's Wacky Worlds, so I'm just here for a good ol' timey feeling crappy yet weirdly super good hack time!
Some things I've already seen that capture this feeling for me perfectly are some of the janky tiles on the world map like the bridge sprite always having a water background, or like... the entirety of Powerful Butt. Janky sprites, weird level design, basic music and tilesets, it's perfect.
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

TiKi wrote: 1 year ago holy crap anikiti's alive?!?
So actually up until this point, as far as I'm aware Anikiti was generally retired from hacking on account of the tools and scene moving on from when he was active a decade ago. While unconfirmed I think the unceremonious cancellation of ASPE2 as well as deciding to cancel Mariox World 5th both contributed to that. Anikiti actually was interested in helping because he wanted to reuse some ports/levels made for ASPE2, though he made a wholly original level too towards the end. Funnily, his only request was that he could use LM1.65, and because the data from those levels transferred fine to the main rom I didn't object (and how could I lol). I should mention that this hack successfully brought Anikiti out of retirement, as he is currently working on a new OSE based on Mariox World SER (which I am excited for, whenever it materializes). The same could be said for a few other creators who I'll touch on when we get there!

By the way, I think the list I posted yesterday may have confused people. I'll link below a list of people who had content / involvement in the hack itself, not just people I contacted.
Level Design:
Heraga
rextep
OnlineVideoSurfer
Anikiti
Abc_ORE
MST
Kitikuchan
Nanigashi-Kun
Pogyo
Jolpengammler
NGB
Daizo Dee Von
Doctress
Aeon
Squirrelyman157
Sariel
Truxton
ShinyNinetails
Centipede
Nitrogen
yogui
StrikeForcer
WhiteYoshiEgg
AtomicCitrus
NewPointless
ECS.98
Darolac
PokerFace
RussianMan
SMWizard
Valentine
CosmicTiff

Additionally, Eminus, FuSoYa and 660 provided custom graphics solely, Masterlink and Wyatt provided additional MML Help and Fixing, and Meatloaf, Unipat, ASMagician Maks, This Eye O Mine, SimFan and FuSoYa provided additional ASM help and troubleshooting.

Testing was done mainly by LouisDoucet, CardboardCell, and Wyatt, but Morsel, Metballs, Sincx, and ShinyNinetails helped test alpha builds of the game as well.

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago EDIT: why the fuck did i type RIP instead of rip
RIP and Wall and Alaska and Game Ura Mix 6
Nao wrote: 1 year ago however, i think the difficulty has been quite understated by heraga. i hope raocow is going to have a good time throughout (aka resort to tools usage before huge pain and suffering occurs)
I do agree that the game get difficult towards the end, especially in levels that I could say are comparable to the types of levels you may encounter in, say, Kouhai Mario or S. Mario. However, I firmly believe that if anyone is well equipped to complete levels like that (which are much more fair and player-friendly to those in my mind) that it's raocow. On the other hand though, I also don't want to say to not use savestates at all. While I do think that mainly the final level will require them, there is another level or two that I could imagine benefitting from some tool usage. Part of the reasoning I had when I (half-jokingly) requested raocow play with ZSNES was to make using tools at least more fitting thematically at least :P.
Slimeman01 wrote: 1 year ago Some things I've already seen that capture this feeling for me perfectly are some of the janky tiles on the world map like the bridge sprite always having a water background, or like... the entirety of Powerful Butt. Janky sprites, weird level design, basic music and tilesets, it's perfect.
All of this is actually intentional. I included a lot of "obvious" world map errors to make everything feel more genuine. Things like cutoff and perspective are pretty noticeable, but at times you'll also see intentional missing tiles or cutoff in places where there probably shouldn't be lol. I wanted to try and make the maps feel like they were just put together to make things work:tm:. Also I guess it's not much of a spoiler, but I handled the overworld and all the things that go along with that (most of which was done prior to level submissions being started!).

With that out of the way though, lets get to today's levels.

Good Tides On The Slopes
Level By---

Heraga

The third level made for the hack. The second and third levels made were both meant to be "obvious" early VIP parody levels essentially. It was quickly decided after this level was made that there should be no more blatant levels, as the levels should be able to stand on their own without relying on source material. There are other "tribute" levels in the hack but nothing as outright. The creator thought this was justified because VIP4 had a tribute level to the original VIP1 level (Fear of a Porcupuffer) as well. Originally, the green piranhas were red, but they were changed to make the level easier and feel more genuine.
Obsidian
Level By---

NGB

The second level that this creator made for the hack. The maps for this hack were actually the first thing finished, before any level was even made or submitted, as I felt that this would at the very least drive world themes. At the time, there was no easy secret level for World 1, so this creator stepped up to make one. This level actually was accidentally submitted without the needed Map16 for the moving lava and seaweed, so I had to export it myself from the patch provided. As it turns out, the Map16 had overwritten some used tiles that another creator used in their level. Map16 in Lunar Magic 1.63 is absolutely terrible to deal with, because you can only export full pages which makes remapping a huge pain. Regardless, I did so, but this level sticks out in my mind compared to others in the hack as a result of the experience lol.
Powerful Butt
Level By---

yogui

A level made pretty early on. I originally had fixed all the cutoff but reverted it because I realized that it was all intentional lol. raocow's weird powerup loss today comes from the way Sumo Bro fire works, which was left unpatched because a patch did not exist at the time. This level wasn't intended for a star world level originally, but it was the easiest level that did not have a world associated with it, which led to it being a natural choice. Also, the message box at the end of the level was originally just a bunch of wwwwwwws and the (*w*) face. I changed it to an actual message to give the level a bit more personality. It's meant to be implied, but this is meant to be Mario commenting on the power of his rear.
I think next video is where the real Rakugaki Mario begins.
Matthew_Coco
I do be vibin' though >o<
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Well now I'm looking forward to this even more! I didn't realize how big this was.
darkwitchclaire
Pronouns: she/her

Post by darkwitchclaire »

Wow, was just looking at some old series of hack LPs then found this. Looking to be a very good hack so far.
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

I'm a longtime raocow viewer too and I recognize a ton of those names too! This is incredible, it's already really shining with that VIP inspiration. I ain't good at the marios but I've enjoyed watching raocow play through them! This is already a great start, I really liked that nifty water and lava level today.
:pal: Image :pal:

PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago I actually thought it was gonna be Production but either way I'm happy. I'm very bad at this game (raks not SMW) and I'm glad I can enjoy raocow going through the game to mentally prepare myself for the oncoming disasters. Speaking of SMW, I hope we manage to see some more of the ones in the bucket mixed in with the non-SMW affairs in the future.
My guesses for the mystery SMW hack were either Gaiden or Rakugaki. I'm not surprised that raocow didn't choose to play Production 2 instead. I imagine he wants to wait for a more complete version to be released first, so that he can experience it more fully. The fact that he decided to slot Rakugaki into his busy LP schedule so soon after hearing about it is astonishing. I guess the original pitch just left that much of an impression on him.

People have been talking about how nostalgic they are for SMW hacks of the late 2000s era. But the thing that's making me feel nostalgic is how sing-songy raocow gets when playing these levels. He used to randomly sing all the time back when I first started watching him some 13-14 years ago, when I was still a college student with no real responsibilities. I have no idea if he's as sing-songy in his other recent LPs, because sadly, I don't have the time to keep up with everything anymore.

rao did a nice job casually one-shotting the secret exit of Obsidian, and as Small Mario, too. I did it the slow way by frying as many Rip Van Fish as I could with Fire Mario and coming back for the key.

Also, the "scrolling" problem you speak of in the video seems to be a problem on your end, because I don't notice it while watching. It's probably a monitor refresh rate issue that you're experiencing. Since you got a new computer a few weeks ago, you may not have adjusted all of your settings yet. I know I've had issues in the past with choppiness when using Snes9x. For some reason, it's always more noticeable for me on Snes9x than with any other emulator.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago
Also, the "scrolling" problem you speak of in the video seems to be a problem on your end, because I don't notice it while watching. It's probably a monitor refresh rate issue that you're experiencing. Since you got a new computer a few weeks ago, you may not have adjusted all of your settings yet. I know I've had issues in the past with choppiness when using Snes9x. For some reason, it's always more noticeable for me on Snes9x than with any other emulator.
honestly if it's not reflected in video I'll deal, it's *fine*. it's a subtle thing, I'll stop mentioning it!
and yeah I suspect it must be a minotor thing at this point.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

There was definitely a difference between the beginning of video 1 and 4:40 when he changed whatever setting

I believe this to be true because just now I was able to start at the beginning of the the video and see the jittery scrolling, jump to a later point where the scrolling was smooth, jump earlier to where the scrolling was jittery, and repeated back and forth, narrowing my way to find the timestamp where he says "i changed a setting"
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

One other thing too is there are only 256 pixels horizontally, and Mario has a sorta inconsistent walking/running speed making pixels sorta not go as smoothly. Autoscrolling with an inconsistent pixels-per-second rate have this issue too.

And that's just the nerd in me talking. Welcome back to Mario World "officially".

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow wrote: 1 year ago
PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago
honestly if it's not reflected in video I'll deal, it's *fine*. it's a subtle thing, I'll stop mentioning it!
and yeah I suspect it must be a minotor thing at this point.
Just curious, but does it happen on bsnes?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I feel like there's still a minor problem with aspect ratio, but what you did the day before to make the scrolling smoother actually worked so idfk
Heraga wrote: 1 year ago RIP and Wall and Alaska and Game Ura Mix 6
i remember when i was younger i ran into a video in the related videos of another (i think it was a vip sensei video) called zip sensei, and when i ran into it again a year or so ago i realized it was just a jojo part 5 meme with bruno doing the vip sensei/metropolis dance
PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago My guesses for the mystery SMW hack were either Gaiden or Rakugaki. I'm not surprised that raocow didn't choose to play Production 2 instead. I imagine he wants to wait for a more complete version to be released first, so that he can experience it more fully. The fact that he decided to slot Rakugaki into his busy LP schedule so soon after hearing about it is astonishing. I guess the original pitch just left that much of an impression on him.
I mean, it left that much of an impression on me and Heraga has been relaying bits of the production to me on Discord DMs along the way over like five months.

Fuck the final boss, too hard

raocow wrote: 1 year ago a minotor thing
lady rulue...
Image Image
Heraga

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - OH NO!

Post by Heraga »

Green Castle
Level By---

Nitrogen

Originally this level was called "Ruins or Something", but I changed the name last minute due to translating better to Japanese. I regret not translating in something with more personality, though. Originally this level was submitted without those passthrough blocks, but I added them after finding an old archive of the ones VIP5 used. By the way, those switch blocks weren't there originally.
The Illusionary Shell
Level By---

Pogyo

This level was submitted nameless, so me and the creator came up with this one. This type of level is not one that the creator is typically known for. However, they wanted to make (what they believed to be) a true early-game VIP level for this project, because VIP1 specifically was extremely impactful to them when they were younger. This level takes advantage of a Lunar Magic bug that has since been fixed, but was abused in 1.63. More or less, if you place sprites in a specific order, you can actually "layer" sprites the way the level does without things breaking (in example putting a shell behind a shell, putting a shell behind a P-Switch and ect). The creator thought this would make for an interesting level as certain earlygame VIP levels also experimented with glitches much like this. The P-Switch/Moon at the start was intended as a red-herring-- as far as I'm aware you're not intended to actually be able to escape from the shell! It does make a good lifefarm though, but there's an even better lifefarm later in World 2.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

level didn't end with the moon 0/10
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Heraga wrote: 1 year ago Green Castle
you forgot to mention the edgy as fuck original castle text that i think truxton or rextep wrote? should i dig it out of discord dm hell

Also, Green Castle's "Everything Is Square" vibe was giving Super Mario LD
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

also raocow stop playing worse than i do
Image Image
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
Heraga wrote: 1 year ago Green Castle
you forgot to mention the edgy as fuck original castle text that i think truxton or rextep wrote? should i dig it out of discord dm hell

Also, Green Castle's "Everything Is Square" vibe was giving Super Mario LD
Actually, the creator of the level wrote that. Worlds 2, 4, 6, and 7 were by me, as those levels were submitted without destruction text. I should mention though that all the messages / destruction messages were revised by Pogyo, Kitikuchan, and myself towards the end of development to give all the text some flair in both English and Japanese.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago also raocow stop playing worse than i do
no
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

spoilers for tomorrow evening here: :shushing_face:
Actually no, I'm not gonna do nested spoilers that much. Please don't do it in this thread. :pray:

MARIO MUSICAL is the funniest stage I've seen in a while, I actually had to break out savestates for this.
I play all my hacks in bsnes, usually with compatibility options for the more broken ones (im playing the fixed english release of this), so it could be input lag but the mechanic of "everytime Mario is blocked by solid ground below, a noteblock spawns" is incredibly funny and results in a barely playable stage that in any other hack, would result in five pages of people complaining about the moral ethics of making bad levels in romhacks, but in here it's just so goddamned funny because of how much it makes you do bullshit.

You're literally playing "THIS WHAT GOD FEEL LIKE (Evil)", this is literally a normal grassland stage that gets shot up to like JP W5 difficulty due to this mechanic, it's so good. Legit, so good, I'm still cackling. And then the secret exit does a "try to survive Hell while on a skull raft and then walk back through the path you've created with the noteblocks behind the skull raft, have fun Bitch", and it's just the cherry on top of the ridiculousness.

The ways this level is offensive brings a tear to my eye. 10/10, excellent job to the author. Probably my fave so far, I'm finishing up this stage.
raocow wrote: 1 year ago
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago also raocow stop playing worse than i do
no
and i cannot stress this enough,

EDIT: I just finished World 2 and I gotta say Heraga "Ningamer" "Nin" Yansworld
bold fucking move putting skystone, musical, unconscious and going left&right in the same world 2 map

i savescummed and i dont regret it :)
not so much unconscious just in things im bad at and to help with timing in gl&r, skystone was just a lot lmao
Image Image