(shouting)

ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - the last VIP we will ever see...

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Lord Ruby

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - exit back from the door i came from

Post by Lord Ruby »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago The music in the first level sounds like Eirin became a pirate.
The Septette was what came to mind for me, but at least we seem to agree on whose style it resembles. But I don't listen to much Touhou nowadays so I might just be misremembering motifs.
a
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Lord Ruby wrote: 1 year ago
EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago The music in the first level sounds like Eirin became a pirate.
The Septette was what came to mind for me, but at least we seem to agree on whose style it resembles. But I don't listen to much Touhou nowadays so I might just be misremembering motifs.

Dominator made a sampled port of this that I like more, but it does not sound 2008 enough despite being from like 2010.
I think Kitikuchan's version sounds a bit more advanced than 2008, but it's okay. It's a pretty decent port so, it doesn't really matter in the end, it being 2008core would just worsen the quality.

Goemon x Ebisumaru for life

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
LethalBrownies
Coming soon to own on DVD

Post by LethalBrownies »

I need to come out and acknowledge that putting a space time save at the beginning of the level for convenience (and to keep the pace of the game moving forward) is always acceptable. Returning to the overworld is a pain. :catplanet:
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

This River is Poisonous!
Level By--

RussianMan

and

SMWizard

When this level was originally submitted by the first creator, it was bar none the hardest level in the hack, to the point where I was unable to even beat it. While the first creator was open to reworking the level, time got the best of them and they were unable to do so, so the second creator listed offered to help. This new version retains most elements of the original but is done in a way that could actually be beaten by normal players with less needed time. Also, despite what one may think, the key isn't needed for the end goal, the ASM stops working the moment the goal is activated (which I've heard is apparently "M/M Approved" if YUMP2 is to be believed.)
helucard

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - ultraviolet: code 044

Post by helucard »

Heraga wrote: 1 year ago This River is Poisonous!
Level By--

RussianMan

and

SMWizard

When this level was originally submitted by the first creator, it was bar none the hardest level in the hack, to the point where I was unable to even beat it. While the first creator was open to reworking the level, time got the best of them and they were unable to do so, so the second creator listed offered to help. This new version retains most elements of the original but is done in a way that could actually be beaten by normal players with less needed time. Also, despite what one may think, the key isn't needed for the end goal, the ASM stops working the moment the goal is activated (which I've heard is apparently "M/M Approved" if YUMP2 is to be believed.)
Interesting,

I was gonna say "this seemed unexpectedly more lenient than I feared" and yet, somehow, to learn that it was at some point prior to now ACTUALLY a nightmare surprises me. I don't know how my brain works. Evidently, not sensibly.
Thanks for helping, second author!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
darkwitchclaire
Pronouns: she/her

Post by darkwitchclaire »

it's a good idea to have someone else make your level easier, i wonder what the result would be if someone did that to raocow's various levels
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah the result is I'd probably not be embarassed by my past work
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (16.07 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Heraga

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - i just replaced one of my things

Post by Heraga »

The Intended way to clear the portion right before the midway was to bait the Thwomp to go up and return to the vine right to the left, as the timing would work out. With the Blue Switch activated though, you don't even need those top vines and can just jump from the second vines to the blue switch.

A Castle That Trembles
Level By---

Heraga

This was one of the very last levels made for the project, made to replace a previous Castle level that this creator made for the project and wasn't happy with. The gimmick was inspired by Suponji from Jumphalf, though with a constant emphasis on movement, and the aesthetics were taken from Wendy's Castle in VIP3. Originally, that last room was meant to be a room where you had to kill all the enemies (hammer and boomerang bros) to win, but the "Level Clear" sprite wouldn't work. Why is that? Well, it's because the gimmick is a Sprite Generator, and because those are persistent, the Level Clear couldn't activate. Also, the port that plays in the level may very well be the first ever custom SMW Music track ever made, if Addmusic Timestamps are to be believed.
helucard

Post by helucard »

A good level! Some generous switch rewarding there which I can always respect. For whatever anyone says about layer movement being used as the main gimmick, this is genuinely well made, you have time to think about how you'll take your steps, there's no weird gotcha moments, and with the tricky stuff, it's challenging but fair. I'm a big fan. The music was humorously chipper too :3
Heraga wrote: 1 year ago
Originally, that last room was meant to be a room where you had to kill all the enemies (hammer and boomerang bros) to win, but the "Level Clear" sprite wouldn't work. Why is that? Well, it's because the gimmick is a Sprite Generator, and because those are persistent, the Level Clear couldn't activate.

Aww, no, dang sprite recognition..... wait, hold on, i'm terrified by that notion actually. This feels like it works strictly because the elements of the level are entirely based on a timed loop (the moving layer, the dry bones), constant pattern (lil sparkies, thwimps), or the player's position (the thwomps) - all things that you can anticipate accurately. Adding hammer bros' sorta random behaviour to that feels like it'd... diminish that feeling. Is that just me?

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

This feels like it might be the best of the gimmicky levels so far. And one of the best in general.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

well then. I was wrong with my description!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

heraga..... this is the kind of stage i'd like to make :)
Image Image
Big Brawler

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - rosario + vampire

Post by Big Brawler »

Secret exit felt shorter, and it may be a good thing since Hyper VI had like 4 sections with those red things.
LethalBrownies

Post by LethalBrownies »

Never seen those chasey things before. What a pain! At least they allow you to spin jump on them and they aren't insta-death.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

LethalBrownies wrote: 1 year ago Never seen those chasey things before. What a pain! At least they allow you to spin jump on them and they aren't insta-death.
it's just a cheap hyper mari world 6 reference. at least it's short and sweet, but the fact it relies so much on referencing another hack that didn't even had its stage set in a frozen area (there might have been ice physics though) makes it feel halfhearted to me

music from today:

Image Image
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Cold Castle
Level By---

NewPointless

This level utilizes "JSL.ips" a patch Akaginite made for some of her custom sprites, including the ever famous Haimari Ball (which is just an old Homing Bullet Bill set to be only Spinjumpable). Akaginite graciously provided it alongside the Homing Bullet Bill for this project. The level as a whole is indeed a reference to the final level in Hyper 6, both in the Haimari Balls and in the port as well. The message box originally was a dig on players not reading messages in Japanese Only Hacks, but I changed it because I thought it'd be too meta and weird for a project like this.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Music List so far:
Sky Stone Sanctum:

(track 1)
Alternately:

Tick Tock Plant:

Life Has It's Highs and Lows:

Pipe of Venom:

Illegal Building Athletic:

REARRANGE SMB3, Feel Menacing?:

Jumping lol:

Riding on the Shell:

The Cave is Special:

The Arrival of Black Ships!:

Underwater Armada:

A Castle That Trembles:

Cold Castle:

A Load of Blather:

Star World:

Image Image
Heraga

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - intervalli interclusi (x2)

Post by Heraga »

The first half involved carrying the throw block to the block gate at the end, though you can sort of just "wing it" with the chuck meddling as seen in the video. The second half just came down to a (sadly tight) timing section to get back on the platform it seems.

Tricky Moving 2
Level By---

NewPointless

The level was submitted just with the name "Athletic Level", which was kind of nondescript. As a result, late into development it was changed to Tricky Moving 2, as there was no sequel to 1. I thought it'd be funny if the sequel was infinitely easier than the first level.
helucard

Post by helucard »

Gosh... Ok, so a lot of this level was genuinely pretty neat, the setups were great, but yikes, that certainly was one way of passing the block gate, huh... that was unfortunate.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
LethalBrownies

Post by LethalBrownies »

This level relied too heavily on chucks for my liking. It was a nifty level, but that turn block wall was bizarre and off putting. Was using the chuck the only way of getting through that :?:
LethalBrownies

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - slam dance

Post by LethalBrownies »

I feel like what this level didn't need is switch blocks. The multiple phantos occupies enough space in your mind you don't need to throw in ON/OFF switches. Especially with their janky corner physics. :kood:

That boss could have easily stuck with a phanto/key fight gimmick, while sticking with the switch blocks to keep in tune with the rest of the level. What's wrong with it is they decided to use layer 2. That boss did not need layer 2 shenanigans on top of everything. It adds a layer (haha no pun intended) of complexity and uncertainty to your movements because you're always trying to account for phantos while at the same time maneuvering yourself into a position that's right for the layer 2. Nonsense.

ALSO I get the feeling this new raocow would hate the VIPs :pride2:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

LethalBrownies wrote: 1 year ago ALSO I get the feeling this new raocow would hate the VIPs :pride2:
No Rakugaki just has some admittedly not good stages at a much higher frequency than the VIPs
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Honestly, I feel bad about not liking Raks because I feel like I'm being mean to Heraga, or I lied to him somehow by being positive during development. Maybe I should have played the hack before recommending it to raocow and given Heraga my feedback first...

He wont get offended but he might feel depressed by me just shitting on it.

Actual spoilers below do not click, raocow:
I actually only played a bit of BossY and I had to give up early on because I could not beat it without tools. It felt insurmountable. I guess it could count as an ill omen, but at the time I just registered it as VIP5 having absurd endbosses too so...
I wonder if I could have stopped this deluge of angry comments.

Heraga's probably gonna say that it's okay and that he's not mad, but. I feel like I failed him. I'm sorry.
Image Image