(shouting)

ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - the last VIP we will ever see...

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - my guardian characters

Post by KobaBeach »

My ex was hooting and hollering about the per frame hurt block SMB3 Burners and it makes me feel like maybe

Anikiti

should have considered lightly remixing the layout to use either mine or Akaginite's Burners (was it her? whomever made Air ship on VIP5). I get that it'd be anachronistic and stinky and bad and dumb but the ExAnimation Burners are the worst kind of Poverty.

Anyway, yeah that was an

anna kitty

stage

This was far from the worst in this hack tbh
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
handfist
hey i'm about the size of your boot what's going on

Post by handfist »

Heraga wrote: 1 year ago Up and Down
the second half was made for this project.
??????????
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

no see there are no p-switches, and the exit is a door instead of a pipe, and a few blocks are different
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

handfist wrote: 1 year ago
??????????
Huh, I was under the assumption it was the second half because it was submitted much later (and because I was told it was very edited lol)...

You are correct however that the stage uses this stage from the unfinished Mariox World 5th as a basis

. Guess I'll update the info for clarity sake.
Heraga

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - yoshi's island

Post by Heraga »

Bowser's Castle Map (Spoilers)
So the layout of this castle can be a bit confusing, but the idea behind it is that the player would play the same amount of rooms (in theory) regardless of route. The routes to room 2 and 3 are like playing another whole room, so those rooms jump to the third layer of rooms. Likewise, the second path in Room 1 is like it's own room too, so Room 6 would likewise jump to the last set of rooms. Hopefully this map clarifies things.

Bowser's Castle
Level By---

SMWizard

with support from

Darolac, RussianMan, and Nitrogen

Originally Bowser's Castle and the true final level were both going to be multiperson levels, but the turnout to both was...low to say the least, and the rooms that were mainly submitted weren't particularly fun to play. Likewise with This River is Poisonous, this level was redone, though pretty much entirely from scratch. Rooms 2, 6, and 8 are based on previous room ideas (and the authors of them are credited for such in the order of the above. A few rooms made for Bowser's Castle that were salvageable were later put in the other multiperson level, but a few more had to be trimmed for...reasons you'll see.

Room 1's palette was based on one that Aeon had laying around that went unused in this project, so was salvaged here.
Room 2's general idea and layout were based on an original Bowser Castle room that was edited slightly to be more playable by the new author above.
Room 3 was redone at the very last minute twice due to the original room being slow and tedious (it was originally a rehash of Curse of the Phanto). This room was the very very last thing made for the project.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - yoshi's island

Post by raocow »

thanks for the map!
feels like I got pretty much the gist of it before looking at it, neat
Heraga

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - strip BOON

Post by Heraga »

Tomorrow I forsee potentially being a very anticlimactic video.

Bowser's Castle
Level By---

SMWizard

with support from

Rooms 6 and 8 as mentioned were reworked from original Bowser Castle submissions. Room 6 was originally an even more evil variant of "All the way from New Jersey" and Room 8 was originally much tighter / more cryptic. The "Backdoor" room was also significantly reworked from it's original submission to be more fair. Room 4 was the only original Bowser Castle room completely unmodified.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I can also vouch for the Door 1 to Door 6 path, which is what I used to get to the midpoint in Bowser's Castle. Doors 1 and 6 are significantly easier with a cape, and if you can keep it to the end of Door 1, you can just fly up to Door 6's entrance without needing to take the alternate route. As for Door 7, it's (no surprise) a lot better if you can kill the Boss Bass with a cape spin, especially since it won't respawn. But it's dangerous, because if you kill the Boss Bass while it's coming towards you, you will tend to be eaten at the same time the Boss Bass dies. I found that it's better to cape-kill it while it's moving away from you.
raocow at 20:33 in today's video wrote:Doors are like, impossible to enter in SMW, except when you don't want to enter them.
Pipes can be hard as well, particularly when you try to enter them from below. Turning around while cape flying also never seems to work when you want it to.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago Pipes can be hard as well, particularly when you try to enter them from below.
Shout out to Daizo's RNG up pipe that he made in a C3 (forget which, I have it on my hard drive)
Image Image
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

the 2021 summer one probably, since that was my kinda big ASM releases thread (and also my first one)

e: yep. I'm the worst. :)

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Daizo wrote: 1 year ago the 2021 summer one probably, since that was my kinda big ASM releases thread (and also my first one)

e: yep. I'm the worst. :)
Worth noting that a lot of resources in this thread are from R-ACK and may be possibly considered spoilers. I dunno.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

m right, well the RNG Pipe itself isn't R-ACK so I'll just post the gif here.

Daizo

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - percussoque retro tenens y

Post by Daizo »

So hey hi, just as note but tomorrow I'm going away to a trip for the rest of the month so I won't be able to update the thread with the latest videos on the series or be able to continue the theme of this thread's titling gimmick.

If any mods wanna step in for me on taking over the thread, here's the gimmick that I've attempted to maintain:
So this is easier than I'm going to attempt to explain it, but the gimmick is this.
The titling of raocow's let's play are the english translations of levels names in the VIPs.
And so, the titling of this thread is the title of the VIP being let's played where that level is featured.

So in today's instance, the level is "( ^w^) smooooth~" from VIP1, and "percussoque retro tenens y" is the name of raocow's VIP1 let's play.
If, say, the next episode is "Indecisiveness Begets Death" from VIP3, the thread would be titled "cold blue kick" from raocow's VIP3 let's play.

There's a few things to keep in mind:
- Sometimes raocow will use a level from an episode that had it's title already used in this thread prior. In this case, I either use the episode of the original VIP let's play, or otherwise I add a (x2) beside the title.
- Many, many times raocow uses a name that doesn't quite match the level's actual name featured in one of his let's plays, and this is because the VIPs had different translations over the years. VIPs 4-6 are a bit more reliable to be accurate, but VIPs 1-3 are where sometimes they straight up have different names. Heraga helped me out whenever this is the case.
- In the case of the last two episodes, both "Bowser's Castle 1" and "Bowser's Castle 2" are actually represented in two of the VIPs (VIP2 and zVIP6). I doubt we'll run into this situation again, but what I ultimately decided is I'd represent each game in different days.
- The final case is today's episode, which is actually used in two episodes of raocow's VIP1 Let's Play. In this case, I just used the first episode.

If you need assistance on what VIP is being represented, I was in contact with Heraga in order to maintain the gimmick (since it's very hard to keep track).

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

the race to finish first is on

will it be!

wrestler game

OR

savestates through the skull!?!?!?!!?!?!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow

Post by raocow »

savestates through the skull, absolutely, one hundred percent.

probably.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Bowser's Castle
Level By---

SMWizard

with support from

I'm 99% sure Bowser doesn't have the right music because of Addmusic4 shenanigans. The inspiration to put random Vanilla Bowser at the end of a gauntlet came from the end of the original Luigi's Adventure and OSE (which was from 2004 and 2009 respectively). Originally the gag I was going to do was having to fight SMB3 Bowser in SMW Bowser's arena but LM1.63 doesn't really allow for that (and Carol's sprite wouldn't work correctly).
Let's Misuse This Cape
Level By---

Pogyo

This creator got into SMW Hacking due to the original ( ^w^) smooooth~ level, and wanted to make a level in that style in tribute to it for this hack. Originally it was unnamed and used vanilla music, but a port came up on SMWC (I think it may've been rejected by now??) that just oozed 2008ness, so I worked with both authors to integrate the port into the level. The boo fight can be done a number of ways, much like the main half, to try and allow players of all skill levels to enjoy themselves.
Information for tomorrow's level (spoilers):

Tomorrow is the "final test" and apparently in the running for very hard romhack levels to be beaten legit and fairly. It's a 14 Room Castle + Custom Boss, and is this hack's multiperson level. The rooms individually are not too hard, but they add up over the course of the level's long runtime, and lead to it becoming more of a "trial of patience" by the end. I'd recommend treating it like SMB3 REARRANGE and/or savestating between every 2 or 3 rooms. The boss may be anticlimactic if it's played in it's own video.

I guess this is the most "Rakugaki Mario" level in the hack, but maybe expectations in place will help. One can maybe liken it to Hollownest's Pantheon, watching people play it legit gave that impression in later runs.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

heres the flight code responsible for figuring out how to transition between stages of flight and whether to terminate flight. the flight code in smw is really messy and hard to follow but i did my best.

https://nathanisbored.neocities.org/smw ... ht-bug.txt
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

Heraga wrote: 1 year ago Let's Misuse This Cape
a port came up on SMWC (I think it may've been rejected by now??)
It's still in the waiting section. I think this port somewhat butchers some aspects of the theme, but the base theme is still so, so amazing. And it's nice to finally get some more Bravely Default ports.

...let's just ignore the slight anachronism that Bravely Default was first released in 2012...
a
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

nathanisbored wrote: 1 year ago heres the flight code responsible for figuring out how to transition between stages of flight and whether to terminate flight. the flight code in smw is really messy and hard to follow but i did my best.

https://nathanisbored.neocities.org/smw ... ht-bug.txt
people still use neocities?

neocities is still around?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago people still use neocities?

neocities is still around?
its only 9 years old, youre probably thinking of geocities. i use it for text dumps sometimes
LethalBrownies
Coming soon to own on DVD

Post by LethalBrownies »

Okay so I really like this level. Sure it's hard but if you play it with a check point at every room it's just like playing short gauntlet levels one after the other.

The weird transitions from not so hard to wicked hard are bizarre to me though. I would prefer to see something more uniform. But I guess in a marathon level you want some variety to help push the player along?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

this game definitely happened

my opinion didn't really change
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

For Staff Members to update the final title, it's magnetic storm, quandoque aliqua operari licuit, and tergiversatione in carnis

Tower of Giants
Level By--- Everyone, though in room order

rextep, CosmicTiff, Valentine, Aeon, rextep, SMWizard, Nitrogen, NewPointless, Jolpe, CosmicTiff, Nanigashi-Kun, Centipede, PokerFace, Heraga

Originally there were going to be two Multiperson Levels, this and Bowser's Castle. Low turnout on both lead to some rooms being moved over to here and the remaining being reworked and expanded on for Bowser's Castle. Even then, some rooms were taken from other sources (such as cancelled hacks in the case of rooms 1, 5, and 14) or done at the absolute 11th hour (such as room 11).

The boss is a reference to Boss X from Saga Frontier, who is the final boss of Red's route (and whose boss track plays in the fight, done by MasterLink and backported by Wyatt). The original joke was that Boss X's appearance isn't even expected in the original game, and can be seen as a gag of sorts. I originally was going to reference that here but as it turned out the Message Box fix patch that LM installs seemingly also makes issues with Sprite Tool and the OW in this version, so it comes off as completely unexpected. The boss itself had a bunch of last minute issues too (which Meatloaf, ASMagician Maks, and SimFan helped look into) such as it having a 30% chance of softlocking the player if it flies offscreen incorrectly, but those were fixed. Also shoutouts to Eminus for the art as well, which was meant to look like a spriterip that was downsampled and Yoshi's Head was plastered over.

Room 10 was redesigned a few times, so the one ingame was actually a later version. Room 3, 4, and 13 come from original Bowser Castle rooms.

The designer for room 11 was the guy who organized Bowser Castle 1 from VIP6. He hadn't really hacked since VIP6 (besides a few levels in a tentative collab), but was really honored to contribute something they felt was similar here.
And with that, Rakugaki is done. I think switching to savestates midway probably made the process a bit more fun, albeit maybe more time-consuming from an editing side. I still am happy with parts of this hack and things accomplished with it. Would prime raocow playing this have made a difference? I'm...not sure, really. I think that it's certainly a very niche hack, and even then only a niche within the niche could even remotely beat it the intended way. I think it's a challenge worth trying, but maybe not conducive to a lets play. Regardless, I hope that something that could be fun or interesting was gleamed from this silly mess of things. Adieu.
Matthew_Coco
I do be vibin' though >o<
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - tergiversatione in carnis

Post by Matthew_Coco »

I kinda enjoyed this hack. Not the kind of thing I would like to sink my teeth into but I respect the vision and I understand for a lot of people, it was a blast from the past and I think that's pretty darngosh rad.
KobaBeach

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - tergiversatione in carnis

Post by KobaBeach »

Last edited by KobaBeach 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image