(shouting)

ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - the last VIP we will ever see...

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Daizo

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - The Secrets of Wall Running

Post by Daizo »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago
Daizo wrote: 1 year ago little bit uncalled for, we're barely like a quarter into the game.
To that I reply with "if the seams are showing this early, I can only imagine it's not going to get better"
To that I reply with "that's an assumption", and a pretty pessimistic one at that.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Last edited by KobaBeach 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

what does that even mean
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I'm allowed to think something is bad, pedigree or not. :ehh:

raolens has nothing to do with it, either.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

I think I should say something

one, it's okay and normal for people to speak up if they do not enjoy something. it is the only way to learn

one-a, however, is that when hearing things like that, you cannot let it control you.

two, you have to look at things in perceptive. people will typically write something if they like something a lot or are bothered by something. consider the amount of people who are watching. consider the amount of comments. most of the people who don't say anything are just... casually enjoying what is going on, for the most part. Heraga, if the comments surrounding the run is bothering you at that profound a level, please keep what I just wrote here in mind, always.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Last edited by KobaBeach 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

I just want to say, before things spiral, I'd appriciate if people let me talk for myself. I think it is perfectly fine to express criticism based off of a level, whether or not raocow enjoyed it or not. What I don't think is alright is people taking those criticisms and directing them at the level author, which is what I think Lion was referring to in his post. My main fear is that when the difficulty does change / raocow isn't having fun that those comments come to light. Besides that, I think Gounder is fine to comment on his own thoughts, I don't see anything wrong with that, and I think dogpiling him for having opinions one way or another isn't alright. Discussing the inherent quality of a level should be fine I feel.
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Heraga wrote: 1 year ago I just want to say, before things spiral, I'd appriciate if people let me talk for myself.
raocow wrote: 1 year ago I think I should say something
Grounder wrote: 1 year ago I'm allowed to think something is bad, pedigree or not. :ehh:
I'm very sorry for all of this, i was fresh off a rough night with a panic attack/existential dread so i was in the worst mindset to react to Heraga's vent DMs the afternoon after, and when I saw Grounder's post I just entered panic mode because I was so afraid of my friend being attacked
Image Image
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

aaaaa sorry :c
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 1 year ago aaaaa sorry :c
To be fair there were some stages I appreciated As Art like Mario Musical and Unconscious House, because they specifically went for the jugular while feeling relatively VIP. And I personally did not like Powerful Butt, because it felt like it was poorly made on purpose, and what I've played so far of Go Go Mario, because it felt too VIP6. I just didn't mention any of these because I was afraid of hurting Heraga. Saw Noises also feels like ASMT.
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

So, two things: first, I didn't see what Koba originally posted, I'm just going by what I can currently read in this thread.
Second, I'm not speaking for Heraga here. As I've said a dozen times before, however, I am advocating for other creators who have confided in me about this stuff, and at this point I'm also saying this as a contributor and co-organizer for collabs myself.

The thing about Grounder's posts is, there's not much of a discussion when it starts and ends at the inherent quality. Like, just going "this game sucks", "the levels are bad imo", etc, the only takeaway is that the speaker thinks poorly of your work. Dissent may be the only way to learn, but there's not much to be learned from that dissent. And it may not be outright attacking the devs, but A) there's much kinder and less dismissive ways to express a lack of enjoyment, and B) putting down someone's work like that can still be pretty disheartening, on top of the usual dread and fear and stress and insecurity that comes with more overtly hostile reactions to something going poorly in a video.

Also, he kinda has a history of this? It seems like every time his attitude is just shrugged off with the same arguments, especially the "constructive feedback" angle. But he's not adding anything meaningful to this conversation, just ragging on the game without crossing the line of making it personal. And when a pattern of behavior like that is just passively accepted and normalized like "eh, vocal minorities exist, what can you do, don't let them get to you", you're making it more difficult for devs who aren't stubbornly outspoken like me to be open and honest about this stuff.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - Point of Advice II (x2)

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

I was sleep deprived when I made my last comment, which combined with me these days trying a more "optimistic" life was, it's just a bummer some people are already labelling this as bad. Yeah, cracks showing up early isn't a good sight but with the nature of collabs you really just never know what's in store for the future. Chaos can't be judged. That's why I don't believe it's right to call it this early. 60% or even 75% of the way in? Sure, fair enough.

That being said, I completely 100% understand if the early reception of the hack allows you to come to the conclusion that it sucks, because...well, there have been a lot of people labelling it as "not worth playing" after getting through almost the entire thing. Though, ultimately that aspect should come from your own judgment ("guilty pleasures", aka "games I like that nobody else does" is a real thing). But still, I understand because if a friend (or let's face it, a whole number of people) recommends you don't play a game...you don't, or at least you consider their opinions before you try.

Anyway going to drop it now before this further gets derailed.

I should warn you raocow that the first level of world 4 is known to make players and viewers motion sick due to it's gimmick. Fair to warn you since you're getting pretty close, though this was also in the description of the hack (though it was added a little after it's initial release).

Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Honestly this from the start may have made things go a lot more enjoyable, I don't think there's anything wrong playing a 2008 hack the way people in 2008 played hacks (though this may seem controversial), and if it makes the series more fun I'm all for it. Lakitu Fortress is where the two World 3 paths re-converge by the way.

Lakitu Fortress
Level By---

Yogui

Originally this level was submitted utilizing all four switches, but it was moved down to three after level placement and stuff was finalized. Despite of that, yes by this point you could only have the Yellow Switch, I think in all honesty creators did not account for that despite the OW Map being made from the start. Originally that powerup filter wasn't in the level, but had to be added due to stealing Lakitu's Cloud in the vertical sections creating extremely weird effects.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Yeah I really don't mind the way the let's play will go regarding @savestates. It might be cool to try one thing though, tho that might depend level-to-level but could be neat to see if, once you've "learned the level," you could try to do it legit. It's not the weirdest practice, maybe it 'robs' the blind run a bit but it's not that uncommon to play something and knowing what's ahead.

Now like, if a level is genuinely like, horrific to play then like nah don't.

raocow

Post by raocow »

Heraga wrote: 1 year ago Honestly this from the start may have made things go a lot more enjoyable
I'm pretty sure me using savestates was part of your original pitch, in jest or not :U
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

Ah, speaking of motion sickness, I actually found parts of today's level kind of nauseating to watch. I think it's something about short cycles that I expect will be (or I want) broken but aren't, of which this level has a couple: Lakitu and the switched blocks seem to have the same timing, so you wouldn't be able to wait for a good opening. And how the level uses the classic old-school design trope of repeating the same obstacle many times without variation, forcing the cycle through at least one more loop. Although this is probably more like some kind of anxiety than a type of motion sickness...?

Meanwhile, I don't tend to be bothered by typical motion-sickness-inducing things in videos/games, so I probably won't have any trouble with that world 4 level, even though I actually do experience motion sickness during car rides.
a
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris

Post by EllenHouraisan »

What the hell happened to this thread.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

"the handle of this door is made of midpoint material"

I submit that "midpoint material" is that candy where it's a chalk-like candy stick that gets dipped into coloured sugary paste. Goal points are made of the same thing, just with higher sugar content.
edit: Fun Dip is the proper name of that candy

As for the game, i'm happy to see cow play SMW again and that he's using emulator tools. It's been enjoyable watching!
Lord Ruby wrote: 1 year ago Ah, speaking of motion sickness, I actually found parts of today's level kind of nauseating to watch.
There's something strange about how the lakitu constantly vibrates (i assume it's his regular movement routine trying to make him drift around before his position gets subsequently reset next frame) in combination with how his position is hard locked with the player's x or y axis. Mixed with the screen scrolling, that might be enough to do it?
Last edited by Catabo 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

raocow wrote: 1 year ago
I'm pretty sure me using savestates was part of your original pitch, in jest or not :U
Only half jest, if I had known it would've been on the table from the start I probably would've fully encouraged it :ehh:
Heraga

Re: ラクガキ (Rakugaki) Mario - The box is from a 'masa'

Post by Heraga »

Raku-Saki
Level By---

Sariel

The intention in the second half of the level is to hold the bom-omb to the end rather than using the shell. However, you can do the route as shown in the video if you remain big. The tight timer of the bom-omb almost makes the level more of a modern kaizo level, but the shell route provides more leeway.
TICKTOCK PLANT
Level By---

PokerFace

Originally this level was submitted with blatant water cutoff that I disliked, so a lot more On/Off switches were added to conceal floating water. A few jumps were made trickier in post production too, though the most devious Phanto setups were saved for a different level...
Next Time-- Either a really hard or a really easy level
Last edited by Heraga 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

DEVELOPER COMMENTARY
New Bitmap Image.png
New Bitmap Image.png (187.03 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Speaking as an official alpha (α) tester for this quality product, I don't quite remember what levels I tried to play. I do, however, remember noticing the metric shit ton of two-tile holes. It was my considered Alpha Tester's (A-tester's) opinion that the hack could be improved immeasurably by making all of them taller. I only mention this to try and escape all responsibility for these indivisible holes.
dont wanna jihad no more
George

Post by George »

Can I ask for all the custom OST that is in this game? I liked the game and music but never heard most of the OST from this game in another hacks. I don't mind if the answer will be tagged spoiler or not.

Thanks in advance!