(shouting)

Mega Man Legends 2 - Fly Me to the Moon

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: Mega Man Legends 2 - Fly Me to the Moon

Post by thatguyif »

...Anyone else kind of surprised at how utterly generic the title screen for Mega Man Legends 2 is?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

COOL man.png
COOL man.png (101.61 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Yo, peep this guy's tie-that-becomes-a-scarf! That's kinda rad.

Yôsyonkä.png
Yôsyonkä.png (108.33 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
So this is kind of interesting: Yôsyonkä. The ô (usu rendered o or ō in a translation context) and the sy (usu rendered sh in a translation context) are from Japanese, sure, but then you've got the ä. I guess they were trying to invoke Swedish (in which <ä> is generally [ɛ] to my knowledge, roughly analogous to Japanese <e> [ɛ̞]) since it's in a cold place? Would've been fun if they'd gone whole-hog and gone for Joskjånkä or something.

True story: i once had a Fire Emblem mod project where there was a running gag that when you visited houses, your units were barging into people's homes to admire their décor and the items you received from the people was them trying to placate you into leaving. We've got at least half of that equation here!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I just like that you refuse to use that specific number with this series.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I know nothing about this game, but the bearded guy with Roll's grandpa gives me way more villainous vibes than Roll's maybe-mom in the intro cutscene. Other than stuffing a reporter in a locker she didn't really do anything obviously bad (granted, that's not nothing), whereas this guy put several dozen press members on a ship and flew them (possibly unwittingly) to the most dangerous place on the planet and then gives a surprise announcement that they're all going in there. It doesn't help that his ship is crawling with guards armed with machine guns, either.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

kitikami wrote: 1 year ago I know nothing about this game, but the bearded guy with Roll's grandpa gives me way more villainous vibes than Roll's maybe-mom in the intro cutscene. Other than stuffing a reporter in a locker she didn't really do anything obviously bad (granted, that's not nothing), whereas this guy put several dozen press members on a ship and flew them (possibly unwittingly) to the most dangerous place on the planet and then gives a surprise announcement that they're all going in there. It doesn't help that his ship is crawling with guards armed with machine guns, either.
All the reporters were instructed to return to thier own ships before they began entering the storm. Seemed to have no issue with letting the Bonne family stay however.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Watching a stream of someone playing Mega Man Legends 2 right now, and I'm just going to say:
I'm really going to enjoy raocow messing up the 100-question quiz...and the comments section losing their minds over him messing up
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Always gotta include some catch-up information incase someone starts on legends 2 instead of 1.
thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago Watching a stream of someone playing Mega Man Legends 2 right now, and I'm just going to say:
I'm really going to enjoy raocow messing up the 100-question quiz...and the comments section losing their minds over him messing up
the npcs are gone until going into the ruins at least once, so its possible he misses the quiz. I hope he returns to the first town and finds the digger test, that's gonna be 1-2 videos by itself depending on how fast he figures out how powerful the lifter is.
Minor trivia: the classical song on the Sulpher-bottom is Vivaldi's Four seasons: Spring (La primavera)
also they recently put this game's soundtrack on vinyl,here's the album art, its adorable.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

successully.png
successully.png (90.8 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
"this is basically Roll naming the child Kratos, for all intents and purposes" raoquote 2023 material right here.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

For the boss, the one attack of it spinning and shooting projectiles is easier if you stand from a distance, where the gaps between the bullets get bigger. using range+ and keeping your distance also helps avoid the shockwave, though not blowing up her mech fast enough has Tronne deciding to spin to win and wiping out the entire town deliberately. That said there's nothing missible, there's npcs that will accept donations for the town to restore it (one is a small girl that might require talking to twice).

You can also dodge roll attacks with l1 or r1 and jump, though you have to stand still to do it (you can also roll dodge by pressing jump and then immediately slamming the stick left or right, the timing is very tight )

edit: oh, found the manual for the game: https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYS ... ,_Ltd..pdf
one thing the manual doesnt state: you can hold down the buitton to lift stuff the moment you get in range of it instead of just mashing the button.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Asking MegaMan to get milk on the way home, and then insulting him is so nostalgic.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

In today's instalment of God of War, we make it to the Forest Temple and meet Knuckles.

"do not use this information for your clam-hunting needs"
clams.png
clams.png (139.78 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
(this was actually a wonderfully wholesome video to be reminded of and revisit after years; thanks for that)

This is a few videos late coming, but yeah! Yo! Bucket! This is exactly the game format i had in mind when i was thinking that Kattelox Island in MML1 was simply the prologue/tutorial area and we'd be going on a globe-trotting island adventure!

Anti-double-post edit:
"i'm gonna shoot at you and little explosion graphics are gonna be laid over your polygons until you die"

Look, i wouldn't actually emulate this in original resolution. But i bet the explosions looked a lot better/less obviously-the-same-graphic on a 360p CRT TV. It's one of those little things that get lost in exchange for being able to actually see what's going on on the screen more often.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

that key room gives me vibes of final fantasy 4's crystal storage rooms every castle had, and nothing good ever happened in those.

The Pokte ruin's are as demonstrated, a tutorial on status effects. the overpriced light chip in shops can be used to make shoes that let you travel over the stun floors, saving you from being...slightly inconvenienced in like, 2 rooms(on a side note, i appreciate devs made the traps in those room stop for a second if you get hit by them, letting you regain your bearings first before they resume spinning ). you can also use the aqua buster to extinguish the fire frogs, so they no longer burn you on contact, but sadly megaman cant blast the fire extinguisher into his face if he himself is on fire.

for the bosses, Bolo honestly is easier in his 2nd form, since you can now just move back and forth to dodge the knives, and he'll only do the ground slam if youre in melee range. For the frog boss, it can get real annoying especially on higher difficulties if it just decides to eat the bug reverbot over and over restoring its health, espeically since destroying the bug doesnt help; it just instantly respawns.

Very important gameplay tip: an npc will ask if you want to take the Digger's license exam. Clearing this exam permanently raises this game difficulty, increasing enemy and boss hp while also increasing zenny drop rate. While the increased zenny drops let you buy more upgrades and balance it out, I would highly recommend waiting a bit, as the next segment can be very difficult.

Less important gameplay tip: you can sell refractor B for cash, its not used to craft anything.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

It's so weird how the game acknowledges that it's a good idea to make a backup save because you might regret upgrading your license without just letting you downgrade your license in the first place. Like surely if the devs thought enough about it to put the disclaimer it would be worth adding the option?
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago It's so weird how the game acknowledges that it's a good idea to make a backup save because you might regret upgrading your license without just letting you downgrade your license in the first place. Like surely if the devs thought enough about it to put the disclaimer it would be worth adding the option?
either they didnt want people abusing the rewards for higher rank then downgrading, or some jankiness with the game's code.Reminds me of phantasy star 3, where instead of fixing a game breaking glitch, an npc just tells you to reset the game if you cause it to happen.

Speaking of, good thing they let you leave during that base attack. They phrase it as letting you heal up, but if you have no special weapons and 0 range buster parts, the first 2 rooms would become extremely difficult.

Lastly, while Pokte village got extremely shrunken down compared to the demo, this island remained seemingly untouched aside from glyde's base being added.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Tenlade wrote: 1 year ago
Catabo wrote: 1 year ago It's so weird how the game acknowledges that it's a good idea to make a backup save because you might regret upgrading your license without just letting you downgrade your license in the first place. Like surely if the devs thought enough about it to put the disclaimer it would be worth adding the option?
either they didnt want people abusing the rewards for higher rank then downgrading, or some jankiness with the game's code.Reminds me of phantasy star 3, where instead of fixing a game breaking glitch, an npc just tells you to reset the game if you cause it to happen.
Oh yeah, i forgot about the increased cash complicating things. It would be too much to ask the player to give up all the extra money they earned and any items they bought.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

iirc, subruins outside of pokte village's entrance has a breakable wall (that one just opens a shortcut no hidden items), and the main pokte ruins themselves have 2 drillable walls in hallways with the wall turrets that spin in place.

when locked on,the lifter icon will flash green if enemy is liftable, and you can hold down the button instead of mashing to pick up at first available chance. Lifted enemies can be thrown as weapons, and both the target and thrown will take damage. The drill itself can be upgraded for cheap as a extremely deadly, extremely short range weapon.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

"i call them monsters when they're clearly robots"

Because "just robot along the way" wouldn't be as catchy.

Shout-out to the BORN FAMIRY. What a glorious mistransliteration!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Catabo wrote: 1 year agoShout-out to the BORN FAMIRY. What a glorious mistransliteration!
They were pretty good at that rushed translation stuff back in that era.
Attachments
Capcpom.jpg
Capcpom.jpg (16.04 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Bean wrote: 1 year ago
Catabo wrote: 1 year agoShout-out to the BORN FAMIRY. What a glorious mistransliteration!
i'm imagining this as a drunken ramble and it's kinda funny
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Considering how the first phase of that MMX6 fight went down including the intro, that's pretty much what it was.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Back when I had an older computer I made some attempts to nullify the slowdown, but I think it required me to effectively run the game at 4x speed, which I could not do at the time. I might try again.

Edit: I think the slowdown exists in the original PSX release.

Edit Edit: Any chance someone has an MCR or savestate with the water temple nearby and accessable? All the ones on GameFAQs are either at the beginning, or 7 miles deep into the last dungeon.
raocow wrote:
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Next thing you know, that little girl in the village will become a vtuber and Megaman will be her simp who single-handedly keeps her afloat.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Bean wrote: 1 year ago
Is this even a mistake? They translated "Zero" correctly in the same textbox. Sigma also misspells "baddle" and "jusd" in X's dialogue, and those aren't romanization issues.

Also spoilers for raocow but

i love how mega man being stuck on the moon is the one thing that everyone knows about this game even if they haven't played it to the point of it being the thread title in a normally anti-spoiler forum

Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Ah the quiz, my favorite part of watching people play this game. By the time this game was out, gameFAQs had existed for several years and i immediately looked up these quiz questions. the difficulty/grade level of the questions is so over the place.

back to the game, i appreciated the little quality of life touches like the water being drained on the way out of the nino ruins/ the pokte ruins having the traps deactivated on revisits. some actual shortcuts would have been even nicer, however.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Ah, so you finally made the quiz.

It gets worse...the prizes are very much worth it though

Some fun errors to point out in the quiz:
  • As someone pointed out in the comments, none of the elements listed in that Periodic Table question are written as a single character (Cerium is Ce, Calcium is Ca, Chitlin is not an element). Further, though, Nickel (Ni) is spelled wrong!
  • While the Edict of Milan was the correct answer in the quiz to the Christianity question, it's not the correct answer to the question itself. To be fair, it's an answer that gets confused A LOT due to its significance and subsequent events happening under its propagator. The Edict of Milan did not make Christianity the state religion of the Roman Empire. It merely ended the persecutions and allowed Christianity to operate freely as a religion under a banner of tolerance. Now, as to why it gets so confused: Long story short, Christianity quickly became the mainstream religion of the land, now that it was free to operate and grew explosively. It was helped by Emperor Constantine, who, becoming the first Christian emperor prior to the Edict, became its primary benefactor, building churches and even holding a council to establish a standard creed. However, the Edict of Milan also extended tolerance to ALL religions, including Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and the various local cults that previously had to pay heed and tribute to Rome in some fashion. It was the Edict of Thessalonica nearly 70 years later that made Christianity (more specifically the Nicene Creed of it) the state religion of the Empire.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image