(shouting)

Mega Man Legends 2 - Fly Me to the Moon

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mega Man Legends - Digging Up a Classic

Post by Bean »

Ah, the early 3D console gaming method of running in circles and shooting at your enemy is the best strategy. Was laughing at the comments in the vid after you pretty clearly defined that you liked the game outside of some of the side quest stuff saying that you didn't like the game. Man, comprehension is hard!

I'm kind of in agreement with you on it not being part of the All the Mega Men stuff even though Sonic's literally been everything. It was a different time. It'd be like throwing all the Battle Network games into the mix during that span. Yeah, that would've been a disaster. Glad this one was actually pretty straightforward for the most part with only a nudge needed here and there.

No clue how the other two games in the series play. Legends 1 clicked with me, but it wasn't what I was really wanting back in the day for 3D Mega Man. Had I have known the games would all be super expensive down the line, I probably would've got them. Oops.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago raocow for AtMM: Only the platformers, nothing else.

raocow for AtS: *stuck in Osu RPG hell*
im sorry for sniping this post off the front page but i dont think raocow is ready for an all the battle networks+star forces even if some of them are pretty ballin' (bn1 is so annoying, i have no idea if im just bad at it or what)
I feel the same. I've played several of the games, but i sincerely don't know if they'd be ideal for the bovine cinematic commentary treatment. But that's also how i feel about the eventual project of

All the Ys

and hope that the scope is narrower than Sonic.

I'm just imagining him deciding to play every single version of Ys 1+2 for archival purposes and being stuck on them for a decade

I started typing another few paragraphs, but you know what, i'll just re-iterate "if this isn't a Mega Man, Mario 64 isn't a Mario".

Actual retrospective on the game: it also strikes me as being on the short side, but i'm more stricken by the fact that the entire game takes place on Kattelox Island. I expected Kattelox to just be the tutorial/chapter 1 area and then it would be a voyage across other islands/ruins in the middle of the ocean like the one we saw at the beginning of the game. This may just be me expecting Zelda: The Wind Waker out of every game that takes place in an endless ocean, tho.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago

All the Ys

I still can't tell if this is a meme or not.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago
Catabo wrote: 1 year ago

All the Ys

I still can't tell if this is a meme or not.
lol. lmao.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

raocow: What a cruel sequel hook.

Me: *stares in Mega Man Legends 2*

Also, oh yeah I forgot the finalfinal boss did have a remix of Bach's piece, so that's something!
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

One thing that i think makes the various MegaMan IPs feel distinct is that each IP's MegaMan is clearly a different character, and the settings are also fairly different. Whereas the Sonic franchise goes through various genres but since it keeps building on the same core cast, those games feel less divorced from each other.

Everyone acts like MegaMan saved Kattelox, but the only reason things worked out was because the God Pillar was mysteriously delayed while he was fighting Juno. If the island weren't under the protection of a literal god they'd still be dead.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mega Man Legends 2 - Episode 1: That was a Demo

Post by Bean »

I think we'll just go with this topic for the Legends stuff unless someone was absolutely wanting to make a separate topic for it. As someone that's only played the first game, this will all be new to me. First up is a prototype/demo released quite a ways out from the actual MML2.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Good thing "no" was the default option for all those "shall i explain it again?"s.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Noelle
I only exist inside those people who are aware of my existence.
First name: No-L
Pronouns: she/bog witch ❦

Post by Noelle »

Mega Man Legends 2 is the only MML I've played, but that was at least 15 years ago or so, I remember almost nothing, despite playing it a lot back then, so it will be one those interesting experiences where I have a vague memory of events, but most of the details will feel new to me (especially stuff towards the later parts of the game).

Anyway, I'm intrigued by this little demo game thing, it seems like it has its own little story and is more in-line with the first game, while also having many elements we'll see in the second, it's so interesting, it feels more peculiar due to me not understanding most of what is being said in-game, catching pigs is surely peak Mega Man. I can only imagine how frustrating it was for raocow. The coolest thing in the pig event was indeed that little house, it was so nice looking.

Dungeon event was nicer, feels like the proper game experience and I already remember quite a few enemies, and yes, as raocow pointed out, the darkness of the dungeons makes them feel a bit spooky, the ambient music also helps with that. The darkness is an effective way of setting up an atmosphere while also masking the console limitations and pop-in. Speaking of music, the boss "Mr. HP/War Machine/guy from Mace: The Dark Age" felt more menacing in the regular MML2, solely due to the music and a different arena that made him look bigger (speaking from the aforementioned 15 year old memory, so take this statement with a grain of salt).
:ace_pride: "No matter where you go, everyone is connected."
:mgmnds:

You are too big to be a slug.

lifelike noise
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

A tip for Japanese yes or no questions: Yes is one syllable(hai) and No is two syllables(eei).
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Episode 2 is the full Mega Man Legends 2. You're set.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

for the pigs, you can shoot the trees to make apples appear, toss them to the pigs and then "collect" them instead of picking them up as throwabable objects.
The dungeon part has a chest containing 1 million zenny...that you cant spend anywhere in the demo.
as for tronne's part, there is a youtube video someone translated it, and there's a minor imagined scene if you pick "yes" to join her side

Interestingly, there's a couple unused assets of things in the demo disk that arent in the final game, up to and including an entire part of a town you can gameshark your way into. (ill post it later on when the videos get to the part it might have been cut from ). I wonder if all this was "demo exclusive content" , or was just stuff that was cut or revamped in the final game.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

it being things that where cut is what would make the most sense honestly
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

xnamkcor wrote: 1 year ago A tip for Japanese yes or no questions: Yes is one syllable(hai) and No is two syllables(eei).
iie*

eei is basically a "heave-ho" onomatopoeia type thing
sorry for coming off as a smarmy fuck who has to correct everyone
Image Image
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Surely it would be more useful to say that "hai" is two characters (はい) and "iie" is three (いいえ)?

Mnemonic: it's easier to just say "yes" to someone asking you to do something rather than explain why you don't want to do it, therefore the "yes" option has fewer characters.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

yeah but xnamkcor is like prone to shitposting so i felt that was the joke
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mega Man Legends 2 - Fly Me to the Moon

Post by Bean »

Ah, one of the few blind spots for me in the franchise. I know next to nothing about this game other than some of the obvious stuff. It's clear that Capcom was in an experimental phase in this era. Shame the choice came down to whether I wanted to get this or Final Fantasy IX. Take a wild guess which one I picked, and I don't feel bad about it even though that led to me never getting around to owning this one in any fashion. Oops.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Anyone mind giving me a quick recap of the last game? I realize I don't remember anything that happened. :slow:
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year agoAnyone mind giving me a quick recap of the last game? I realize I don't remember anything that happened. :slow:
So Mega Man in this series is a Digger, basically an excavator and explorer. His name's also Volnutt. Anyway, he's traveling with Roll and her grandfather in that exploration. They stumble upon Kattelox Island in their adventure and wind up dealing with the Bonne pirates while uncovering the island's mysteries. One of those just happens to be that Mega Man was originally named Trigger and was a Purifier Unit (literally that era's Maverick Hunters).

Mega awakens Juno, a different type of model meant to control the population of his sector on the planet, and Juno sees that the number is way higher than expected, so he goes to destroy everyone on the island because anime. The Bonnes see this, and even after the many encounters they have during the game, help free Mega from the trap that Juno put him in. Mega then fights Juno and wins, but oh no! The order to carry out the destruction of the island is still active! Thankfully, Data, the dancing robot monkey, has Mega's memories of his old robot life inside him and is able to cancel the order just before the weapon can fire. The good guys get the hero sendoff before leaving the island, and the adventure continues!

So yeah, it's a lighthearted game against a slapstick group of pirates until it's all of a sudden about preventing the island from being destroyed by a disturbingly polite robot that has Johann Sebastian Bach's Fugue in G Minor playing while you fight.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Post by EllenHouraisan »

So, was this "motherload" thing mentioned at all in the previous game? That's what's throwing me off the most.
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

That's part of what was mentioned in the opening cutscene. Nobody knows specifically what the Motherload is. Some people think it's a massive treasure, some people think it's a power source that will make it so civilization doesn't have to rely on sending Diggers to dangerous places for Refractors, some people think it's the historical knowledge of what happened to the previous civilization that they're having to cobble their technology from. After all, if the older civilization was so much more advanced, why are they gone?

What I absolutely love about this intro is the explanation as to why we're going to have to deal with the Bonne family again. They made off with the massive Refractor powering MegaMan Juno's whole operation back on Kattelox, which *should* have given them enough money to live comfortably and never have to work or steal ever again. And Teisel blew the entire thing in under two years by opening a department store that only sold the tacky crap that he personally liked, refused to ever change their inventory in any way, and the business has already pretty much gone under, forcing him and his siblings back into piracy. He could have succeeded in life by literally doing nothing, and he still screwed it up THAT badly, THAT fast.

On another note, regarding the audio mixing in this game. Since we've already had a scene where we couldn't hear the dialogue because it got drowned out by everything else, maybe it would be a good idea to turn down the music and sound effect using the in-game options, and turn the system volume up to compensate, so the dialogue is louder compared to everything else? Or does the spoken dialogue count in-game as a sound-effect?
Salbug
Sometimes bug, Sometimes AI
First name: Salacia
Pronouns: She/They

Post by Salbug »

Never got around to playing this back in the day, but absolutely loved the first game so definitely looking forward to raocow going through this~ ^^
:catplanet: :pride: :trans_pride: :nb_pride: :pan_pride: :lesbian_pride: :catplanet2:
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

I think the year is about 40,000
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

"You know what to do when you're on fire, you gotta stop, drop, and roll. Roll is not in this room, so you're gonna have to stop and drop at the very least. But we're looking for a dropship, so you might not be able to do that yet, but at the very least, Data, you can stop. That is the least you could do."

Just noting this down as a potential raoquote of the year candidate.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

I found this old-ass fan quiz today and it has a very interesting question on it.