(shouting)

Mega Man Legends 2 - Fly Me to the Moon

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Mega Man Legends 2 - Fly Me to the Moon

Post by Bean »

1 - tiny tornado tonion
2 - fiery gyro guy
▓ - sneaky blue boy
4 - rumbling launching octopus
5 - party clown baby
6 - perfectly authentic gutsdozer
7 - near-sighted lazy tanks
8 - big ol' mole
9 - expensive insect nests
10 - hungry hungry clams
11 - flashing target dog
12 - omnipresent green-dress girl
13 - fantastic long frog
14 - preposterous loud crocodile
15 - powerful crate stack
16 - steady patient samurai
17 - amazin' flying bonne siblings
18 - sneaky button prompt
19 - big brown bruno
20 - softest onion tank
21 - nefarious tv director
22 - frenzied stompy caterpillar
23 - brown cracked walls
24 - confused empty haze
25 - segmented apocalypse man
26a - floating god pillar
26b - blessed loving family

Mega Man Legends was released one day after the franchise's 10th anniversary on the Playstation 1 back in December 1997 and subsequently made it over to the west in August 1998. It's the third branch of the franchise after classic and X and the first-ever 3D entry in the franchise. Instead of beating robot masters or mavericks, this Mega Man is a sort of treasure hunter that will find equipment and power-ups in shops or through dungeon exploration. The game has a lot going for it including a neat art style and pretty decent voice acting when you compare it to other Capcom PS1 titles of the time. It really was one of the few times Capcom went the extra mile for this franchise and why both this game and Legends itself has a small, but very dedicated fan base to this day. Let's see it in action, raocow!

part 1 - hoofin it in tutorial dungeon
part 2 - tanks in the countryside

Rockman DASH 2 - Episode 1: Roll-chan Kiki Ippatsu (Roll's Critical Moment) was released in the summer of 1999 and is a demo for the then upcoming Mega Man Legends 2. There are four missions here, and they are Roll's Secret Training, Capture Pigs, Underground Dungeon, and Jagd Krabbe's Assault. They were pretty far along with development of the game even at this point, so it'll be interesting to see what all stays and what gets cut out from the final release. Here we go!

.5 - standing out in a crowd shot
1 - roll at the wheel, taking charge
2 - Joe's working on something that looks just like this there, says man
� - marvel at the well maintained automated dungeon doors
4 - arrival on the forbidden island
5 - everyone standing in an office. there are chairs, but nobody is using them
6 - megaman accesses the green hill zone
7 - one of those regular dungeons kind of day
8 - behold, a blue pillar
9 - rockman learns an important lesson about keeping his feet off the carpet
10 - rockman vs bubble frog
11 - hangin' out with the crew in the hangar area
12 - action, adventure, rummaging through shops
13 - hey it's that field from the demo with the beltbots
14 - more fields
15 - the giant robot bird
16 - today is dungeon day, with dungeon doors and dungeon walls
17 - roll's not picking up reaverbots while rock shoots a clam in the face
18 - battle in tight underwater spaces
19 - tall green walls deep in water
20 - more underwater warriors need to be blown up
21 - not all destructible walls look the same
22 - rockman vs quiz mayor
23 - the equipment screen is nice and full
24 - roll saying things in a brown corridor
25 - a completely blank black screen
26 - rockman at the starting line
26 - part 2 - rockman at a different starting line
26, part infinity
27 - ancient ruins open themselves to rockman
28 - rockman vs shielded samurai
28.9 - rockman vs explosion buddy
29 - rockman vs a clam
29 v.02 - rockman vs large fish
30 - servbot sent me a letter :O
31 - staying cozy in the church
32 - at the bottom of a massive frozen chasm
33 - rockman vs a set of keys
34 - the silence between scenes
35 - when you get to someone's home and you have a conversation by the door
36 - rockman vs party balloon
37 - a monkey speaks to me
pre-final - 38 - homing yellow ball, amongst others
FINAL - 38.9 - ready for one last battle

Mega Man Legends 2 was released in April of 2000 in Japan and in October that year for those of us in North America. This game improved on some of the faults from the original such as the controls while also retaining the charm that made the first entry a cult classic. Is it better than the first game? That's for you to decide or at least watch and figure out for yourselves. That includes me because my knowledge of this title of the Blue Bomber's is very limited.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Mega Man Legends - Digging Up a Classic

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Another game I've never seen in action. Probably gonna be a fun LP.

Gotta say, I love Roll's outfit in this game. Her hat looks so comfy. :slow:
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Remember that you're playing a game before dual analog had really taken off on consoles, so yeah. It's got tank controls. I prefer the L1/R1 camera turn, but both work, so it doesn't matter. You can tell this one has a lot more thought put into the production values than your standard Mega Man game, too!
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

There's at least one song in this game that gets stuck in my head CONSTANTLY. So, looking forward to that. It's super lategame though, so it'll be a while.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

"while the auto-aim button is fun, being able to move side-to-side etc"

I guess this is why shoulder buttons to turn is the default. I haven't played this game, but it sounds more useful to comfortably be able to strafe while targeting enemies rather than turn away from them.

Last time i saw any footage of this, it was a speed run that i only watched part of. Should be fun to see it proper!
And man alive, i remember talking about how MMZX felt like the result of a plan to turn Mega Man into anime to make it more marketable, but Legends is so far ahead of it in that regard it's insane. You can tell the developers were proud of MegaMan's (... Rock's) expressive face. I assume the game's commercial performance was modestly successful in Japan and terrible overseas.

"if i'm at the store and i'm buying a mega man game, i don't know if this is what i'd want"

Given the time period, it is an arguably more organic transition to the PS1 for Mega Man than Mega Man X4/8. Everything was trying to "go 3D" to the point that expecting a traditional Mega Man game out of Mega Man Legends would be like expecting a traditional Mario game out of Mario 64. If i had known about/played Mega Man games back in the day, "it's Mega Man IN 3D" would've been plenty enough hype to make me buy it.

Actually, i did know about Mega Man... in a very specific way. My local video rental store (honestly cannot remember if it was Blockbuster or Hollywood Video) had a big cardboard cut-out-type-thing (a decal? it wasn't really a cut-out, just of comparable size) of MegaMan from Mega Man Legends on the wall in the video game section, even long after the N64/PS1 generation. But that's it. I didn't actually play a Mega Man game until MM9.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote:man accused of pingos peepee
im guessing no one wanted to make a thread about this? shame,

anyway guess im gonna try to follow a new raocow lp again

EDIT: i love data so much, ever since i was a kid. also raocow please circle strafe i beg of you

EDIT 2: also i forgot to post this here but the mother lode plot is literally just one piece

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

the overly cautious way he was tackling the enemies in today's dungeon plunging when nearly dying made me wonder how raocow would adapt to king's field, he did say he was gonna play dark souls.
Image Image
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

pick up that can.png
pick up that can.png (86.6 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
Who could forget that classic Mega Man moment?

In all seriousness, the shopping centre really gives me vibes for how big of a deal it must have been. It's not a fantastical vidgame level, it's a shopping centre with normal shops like a CD store and clothing stores and garbage on the ground that you can kick if you want. I can imagine reviewers gushing over kicking the can the same way people gushed over Red Dead Redemption 2's realistic horse anatomy. Fighting robots in perilous underground mazes? No, the groundbreaking part of this game is that you can go to the mall and kick a can.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

They are very much going for the Action/RPG genre here with this even though it's still the usual bust and move strats that the 2D games would go with. In other words, don't be afraid to search shelves and even holes in walls to see if you can find stuff or just enjoy some flavor text. Kind of catching up on the trip to Apple Market and all that right now which is why it should be brought up in the early going.

Since it's outright mentioned in the instruction booklet, that's fair game!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago Fighting robots in perilous underground mazes? No, the groundbreaking part of this game is that you can go to the mall and kick a can.
to be fair, mizzurna falls was one year away and never made it out of japan
Image Image
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Mega Man Legends is a game that's very much more than the sum of its parts, it is beloved for a reason but you got to learn to live with its clunkier, pre-analog, aspects.

One word of advice, because I'm fairly sure this isn't hinted directly but I'll spoil it just in case you don't want any help whatsoever:

when you see wall textures that look like obvious holes try searching near them, sometimes you'll get money or items.

Oh and I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet elsewhere, but I'd recommend leaving the title screen idle for a few moments to see the other opening cutscene. The game has two it shows at the start, the 'world covered by endless water' one, and this other one. You haven't missed anything by not seeing it yet but it might be good to see it before too long.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It seems like landing that particular ship anywhere in the miles of ocean surrounding that island rather than trying to crash it on land would have probably been a better option, at least in terms of reducing the damage to the ship and the probability of dying in the crash.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

SpoonyBardOL wrote: 1 year ago One word of advice, because I'm fairly sure this isn't hinted directly but I'll spoil it just in case you don't want any help whatsoever:

when you see wall textures that look like obvious holes try searching near them, sometimes you'll get money or items.

people have been mentioning this all over the comments section and im scared raocow will just ignore them because this is not explained outside of the manual. i literally did not know about it because i haven't played this since i was 10

people have also mentioned

poking around the wall textures in general for flavor text and whatnot

which is a thing in some rpgs, but not all.

usually when i do that it's to like open drawers and check pots for hidden treasure or a collectible like the medals in dragon quest 3 snes or swordcraft story 2, maybe the turtle's paradise flyers in ff7 could count.

kitikami wrote: 1 year ago It seems like landing that particular ship anywhere in the miles of ocean surrounding that island rather than trying to crash it on land would have probably been a better option, at least in terms of reducing the damage to the ship and the probability of dying in the crash.
they slammed with the back of their heads in the hard steel wall in the helm, if they survived that they're good to go.

i forget if volnutt's a cyborg or not. i think? he's originally found as a baby, they just name him megaman (rock in jp)

Image Image
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I'm a video behind and trying to catch up, but I thought it was funny that raocow tried to kick the can in the shopping arcade into a garbage can. You actually can throw the can away, you just need to kick it into the bakery. Apparently the employees there throw it away.

You actually get 1000 Zenny, and it's a repeatable reward since the can respawns when you leave and re-enter the shopping arcade. Oddly enough,
it counts as an "Evil action. Yeah, this game has a karma system. I don't think it actually changes anything beyond appearance and *maybe* raising prices at the store a bit. I actually prefer the way Dark MegaMan looks, and always wound up triggering it on purpose.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i miss this series

(since the channel is abandoned, i'll just drop the legends abridged 2 episodes as non-embeds at the end of this lp. do expect to see this series posted semi-frequently, though)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

explanation.png
explanation.png (203.78 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
If you know, you know.

edit: i forgot the actual content of my post. In today's video, i realised that there's ambient noise in the dungeons and it's not entirely quiet. I just thought it was my computer's fans.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow's humor has gotten more kobacore these days, in this lp, and as a koba shaped lion i appreciate that

my name is megaman and im here to say- adsoiasdiohasdiohioadfihdsfiosdafi
kurt91 wrote: 1 year ago
it counts as an "Evil action. Yeah, this game has a karma system. I don't think it actually changes anything beyond appearance and *maybe* raising prices at the store a bit. I actually prefer the way Dark MegaMan looks, and always wound up triggering it on purpose.
it's so dumb that you have a kick to kick things, which is super satisfying, and they give you the option to kick dogs (mostly in jp), the opposite of satisfying
Image Image
helucard

Post by helucard »

"Next time, I won't be so easy on you."
Considering her supposed "going easy on you" was to run you over with a four legged tank, spray you with a gatling gun, scatter explosives around the road, and invent Homing Fire Trails (Patented T.B.Technology 1997), I wonder how she could possibly scale this up. That said, I cackled at this. Like, seriously:

"I'll make sure you pay for this!"
Spoken to a child that she just mortally wounded.

I do like the design though, but then, 4 legged monster tanks are just my fave since Metroid Prime 2...
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Here's a funny(?) memory I have: when I was a tiny wee child, I bought a bunch of interesting-looking PS1 games with my dad, one of them was Tron Bonne's game, which at the time I had no idea was related to Megaman (I don't think I even had played a Megaman game of any kind then). I remember early on there was a stage where you were in a mech and you could shoot civillians or something. My dad saw that and thought it was disturbing, to which I agreed once he pointed it out. So we returned the game (didn't help that I had no idea how to play it properly). Those were the good old days before GTA desensitized us all to massive bouts of violence against civillian NPCs. Not that I really mind, of course.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

LICE.png
LICE.png (83.23 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
So that's why they're wearing full head coverings under their helmets...

Every cut scene of this game looks so strikingly like a Saturday morning shonen, it's kind of incredible.
helucard wrote: 1 year ago"I'll make sure you pay for this!"
"You're going to pay for this!" said Dr. Eggman Tron Bonne as she escaped on her personal ship.
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Something neat that's one of my favorite things to do in this game...

When you destroy a machine being piloted by a ServBot, the little guy starts running around in a panic. You can continue to shoot the ServBot directly, and it'll blow up into a charred husk and stop running.

After this, if you kick the downed ServBot, it will give you a health pickup. You can do this three times per ServBot.

It makes later areas a bit easier if you take it slow and methodically, since you probably won't take three full units of damage from every single enemy, and you save money since you don't need to refill your canteen quite as much.

Also, for anybody who's played this game before (and optionally the sequel)
Any of you guys smile a bit at raocow being concerned about how expensive all of the Bonnes' gear had to be that he blew up?
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

kurt91 wrote: 1 year ago Also, for anybody who's played this game before (and optionally the sequel)
Any of you guys smile a bit at raocow being concerned about how expensive all of the Bonnes' gear had to be that he blew up?
As someone who's played the best game?

Goddamn I did not smile, I earned every last Zenny!!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

trying to k word that minus infinity ass reaverbot was a primo Definition of Insanity™ moment
Image Image