(shouting)

Outer Wilds - The World • XXI: The Journey is Complete

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Donut

Re: Outer Wilds - Pulled by the Stars

Post by Donut »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago Now i have one more question: i kind of want to play this myself, but not at the cost of taking away the zen enjoyment of watching cowman play it. I notice you get shown a launch code that's a series of .-| at the beginning of the loop: is this a randomization seed, so it would still be interesting to play the game even after watching cow play it? Or should i just wait a few years for me to forget most of the details? I looked at the game's Steam page but it doesn't seem to give a straight answer.
As someone who got the game so I could keep up with the LP, I highly recommend playing it yourself before going any further if you want to maximize your enjoyment. This is the kind of game with basically zero replay value once you finish it once (other than to soak up the atmosphere), so unless you're the type who can forget all the details of a game within a few years you're not going to get the same experience.

As for your question (spoilering just in case),

the launch codes are just there as a detail to let new players realize they already have the means to use the lift. As far as I know there are no random elements to the game.

Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Donut wrote: 1 year ago
Catabo wrote: 1 year ago Now i have one more question: i kind of want to play this myself, but not at the cost of taking away the zen enjoyment of watching cowman play it. I notice you get shown a launch code that's a series of .-| at the beginning of the loop: is this a randomization seed, so it would still be interesting to play the game even after watching cow play it? Or should i just wait a few years for me to forget most of the details? I looked at the game's Steam page but it doesn't seem to give a straight answer.
As someone who got the game so I could keep up with the LP, I highly recommend playing it yourself before going any further if you want to maximize your enjoyment. This is the kind of game with basically zero replay value once you finish it once (other than to soak up the atmosphere), so unless you're the type who can forget all the details of a game within a few years you're not going to get the same experience.

As for your question (spoilering just in case),

the launch codes are just there as a detail to let new players realize they already have the means to use the lift. As far as I know there are no random elements to the game.

Ah, i see. Well, that's okay. I look forward to watching cow play it while drinking my coffee too much for me to stop and do my own playthrough. Can't play 'em all, anyway!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Outer Wilds - Burn After Reading

Post by Crow »

to note: the launch code isn't something you can enter yourself, the lift just does not work until you get it from the observatory and there's no way to bypass this

and even if you somehow did, you need to trigger the statue in the museum to begin looping, otherwise you just Die

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

I've been wondering, what happens if you die before touching the statue? Like, there's ghost matter around the place, so it shouldn't be impossible. Do you just get a GAME OVER screen or something? XD
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Crow

Post by Crow »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago I've been wondering, what happens if you die before touching the statue? Like, there's ghost matter around the place, so it shouldn't be impossible. Do you just get a GAME OVER screen or something? XD
you just get a dark-souls esque "YOU ARE DEAD" on black background and get kicked back to the title screen
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Crow wrote: 1 year ago
EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago I've been wondering, what happens if you die before touching the statue? Like, there's ghost matter around the place, so it shouldn't be impossible. Do you just get a GAME OVER screen or something? XD
you just get a dark-souls esque "YOU ARE DEAD" on black background and get kicked back to the title screen

Neat.

Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Oh boy, 1080p is real nice
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Donut wrote: 1 year ago Spoilery stuff
You are correct. They pull this again after you officially begin the DLC to remind you that you have a map marker function. And indeed, there are no random elements in this game. There is a reason the Any% speedrun is under 10 minutes, and why there's an achievement to

finish the game in the very first loop

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow

Post by Crow »

on the subject of rng
i have been lead to believe that hollow's lantern's assault on brittle hollow is semi-random and there is some randomness to anglerfish locations in dark bramble, but that's the only RNG i know of and i could be completely wrong on both of these
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Crow wrote: 1 year ago on the subject of rng
Brittle Hollow you're partially correct. There's definitely a little RNG on where the rocks land, and that can impact which parts of the planet break apart first. For example, you can have parts of the trail leading into the Hanging City from

the Old Settlement

break apart while you're walking there, even early in the loop. With that said, there are other factors that affect structural integrity, including not just your ship landing on the surface, but your footsteps. I think even your scout, when it hits the ground, causes cracks. So how much it impacts the loop is iffy.

Dark Bramble though, the anglerfish locations are not random. For example, when you go into "core"/

main hive

from the opening area, you will always be in front of

three of them

A complaint about today's video, because I need to vent:
Missing the other panel in the Launch Module? Somewhat forgivable, though there were multiple points during that segment where he had the panel dead center and he didn't see it. To see in front of one's own nose...

But missing the signal at the satellite? Even though he had his Signalscope out for a minute and clearly understood what to do? Even though he later in the video correctly detected the Island Shard signal in the Tower of Quantum Trials? Uuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhh
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
helucard

Re: Outer Wilds - Lost in Time and Space

Post by helucard »

I don't think I've ever quite felt this level of theft as I have in this last video, we were seeing some cool new stuff and then forcibly kidnapped from exploring it by the ship, and then we find a nomai dock and are stolen from that by the black hole, I just... I feel like Kor at Mar's Tomb, you know? Like, it's as if I just found the entrance and I'm about to finally have the precursor stone, but now this sapient rock has shut the door leaving me trapped outside. And then as I contemplate this new development, the guards arrive, so not only am I not getting into the tomb, but I'm also on my way to prison.

It's hilarious, and I will be coming back to tomorrow's video.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

...What are you talking about
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Greader

Post by Greader »

Presumably the game kinda whisking raocow away from interesting and new places via the ship and the black hole.

Edit: was tagged spoilers but feel I can write about the thing I did once we get there properly, so removed it.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

yes, helu's just talking about how the game is "teasing us" with cool places, then snatching raocow into the neighborhood cabaret club

i didn't even watch or play outer wilds and i understood that lol. i guess i just expect space travel to be absolute chaos
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

I felt the same way in an earlier video about

those wall paintings that seemingly told the story of the journey of the Nomai. Looked like they were searching for the eye but then got caught/trapped by the brambles in some way

Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago I felt the same way in an earlier video about

those wall paintings that seemingly told the story of the journey of the Nomai. Looked like they were searching for the eye but then got caught/trapped by the brambles in some way

One of the Features of raocow completely shunning the ship log is that you're left to notice and put together these pieces on your own. For example, the ship log has specific comments on those paintings and interprets them for you. It's probably the big thing separating this game's "puzzles" from La-Mulana, since the log is there to guide you so long as you find the pieces at least once.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Greader wrote: 1 year ago Presumably the game kinda whisking raocow away from interesting and new places via the ship and the black hole.
Could they use less nerdy language
Donut wrote: 1 year ago
One of the Features of raocow completely shunning the ship log is that you're left to notice and put together these pieces on your own. For example, the ship log has specific comments on those paintings and interprets them for you. It's probably the big thing separating this game's "puzzles" from La-Mulana, since the log is there to guide you so long as you find the pieces at least once.
I'd say give it time. He's still kind of in the exploratory phase, since he knows there are still a lot of places left to uncover. I feel like he's not going to reach the "solve the puzzle" phase until he feels he's covered every possible avenue. We got a long way to go at this point.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
helucard

Post by helucard »

Sad thought below from seeing the end of this vid:
I just noticed how blank space is by the end of the video. How few stars are there by the end of the 20-or-so minute period? There are just a few stars left and we're still watching most of em going supernova.

Except on thinking about it, the speed of light and distance from those stars would mean we're seeing that happen long after it's actually happened. For us to see that now, those stars actually went supernova ages ago... so... how many stars are ACTUALLY left by the end of the loop? Even if we were to count how many still exist in our vision during the sun's supernova, we have no guarantee that they're still there at that point since their distance means we aren't seeing what's there at that moment. A chilling thought is that this is quite possibly the last light to go out. If not, it's most certainly one of them.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

helucard wrote: 1 year ago Sad thought below from seeing the end of this vid:
I just noticed how blank space is by the end of the video. How few stars are there by the end of the 20-or-so minute period? There are just a few stars left and we're still watching most of em going supernova.

Except on thinking about it, the speed of light and distance from those stars would mean we're seeing that happen long after it's actually happened. For us to see that now, those stars actually went supernova ages ago... so... how many stars are ACTUALLY left by the end of the loop? Even if we were to count how many still exist in our vision during the sun's supernova, we have no guarantee that they're still there at that point since their distance means we aren't seeing what's there at that moment. A chilling thought is that this is quite possibly the last light to go out. If not, it's most certainly one of them.
I don't think real world rules apply here with tiny hollow planetoids supporting life, 20 minutes days, and how close everything is to everything else.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

helucard wrote: 1 year ago Sad thought below from seeing the end of this vid:

Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Greader

Re: Outer Wilds - Hunting Shadow

Post by Greader »

Funnily enough, the bit I edited out of my last post ended up being relevant like one episode later. One funny thing that happened during this LP has been that the previous two times raocow went to the deep space satelite, you actually could see whatever is eclipsing the sun there during it. Just that since raocow had no reason to think there was anything wrong he didn't even note anything being odd. Which is probably one of my favorite ways of hiding something, making it so if you are not looking for it you won't even realise anything is off. Similiar to how many people don't find the quantum moon popping up in the sky randomly weird, until they find some text going "So, about this moon that wanders around..."
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Re: Outer Wilds - Worlds Merge

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Here's the only thing I can contribute to the repertory:

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Donut

Post by Donut »

Personally I've had this on my mind for the past week.

Catabo

Post by Catabo »

raocow's over here playing Outer Wilds while poor Gabbro's playing Façade and is stuck in the couch.