(shouting)

Outer Wilds - The World • XXI: The Journey is Complete

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Outer Wilds - The Bell Tolls

Post by Draexzhan »

Donut wrote: 1 year ago
Going one step further, I'm wondering if it is possible to both reach the Prisoner and Solanum, and then beat the game in time. Given the Stranger zooms away after a point, you'd obviously have to do that first, and if you have good luck with the Quantum Moon that would only take a few minutes. It's probably possible, but a cursory search didn't bring up any videos of the feat.
I looked this up earlier today because I was curious, and I found a video of someone doing it. There's some room for error, as evidenced by many mistakes made in the run, though it's still very tight, but it's in fact possible. MASSIVE SPOILERS in this video, btw.
Signature text.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago I doubt that. Nearly every person who has played this game has run into the same puzzle, and those who figured it out did so using a non-standard train of thought. You have the benefit of external observation, so you're not in the mindset of playing this game, let alone in the way raocow is playing it. You may see what he, let alone of the rest of us, didn't. This is certainly coloring your view of the situation, and this bias overstates your competence.
You're right that I'm biased, but I also can't help but to think my autism would have looked at the words "Ash Twin Project" and decided that the best course of action would be to comb Ash Twin until there's nothing left to be found. In fact, I always found it funny how little time raocow spent on it (though I guess the time it takes for it to empty out doesn't help with that).

But on the flipside, I'm 100% sure I wouldn't have figured out most of the stuff on the Stranger for quite a while.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Donut wrote: 1 year ago Stuff II: The Stuffening
So I did a little bit more research on the subject. The big issue is that you have to get the launch codes. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but I suspect the launch codes aren't for the elevator but for your ship. (Though that opens up the question of why you would need them in Shipless runs as well.) With that said, there's an exploit that allows you to bypass using the elevator to get to your ship early by using the big geyser at the base of the village, which allows you to get your suit before you get the launch codes.

Very recently (like in the last week), a new Portuguese/Brazilian speedrunner (I think? The game text was in Portuguese, which could mean anything) named wellgaroa figured out a second exploit, using the suit to meet Hornfels through the hole in the roof of the observatory then leaving the same way. This in turn avoids crossing paths with the Nomai Statue, which in turn prevents the loop from starting. From there, he was able to reach both Solanum and the Prisoner before returning to the village to start the loop, then finish the game, all without dying or triggering a second loop. With that said, he said the second exploit was necessary, because when he attempted it without it, the farthest he could reach was the Vessel node in Dark Bramble before the supernova consumed him.

Here's the video he posted of it:

That makes me conclude that it's possible to do it, though it would require these two exploits. With that said, looking briefly over the video, it seems like this guy is still very new to the speedrun. For example, he uses the normal initial method of reaching the Stranger (i.e., going to the satellite then flying towards the void), when more experienced speedrunners know how to fly directly to it from Timber Hearth without needing the satellite as guidance. That on its own could be 1-2 minutes saved. He also doesn't know about Scout boosting, which provides extra speed. So he enters Owlnet through the nearest entry point (the temple by the hull breach entrance in the Hidden Gorge), rather than through the Diving Bell, even though if you get to the Diving Bell fast enough, it's faster than reaching the three seals through the standard means). These combined time savings...I would not be surprised that the second exploit wouldn't be necessary, though it would be shaving it close.

So, to conclude all of this: Is it possible to get both friends in a single loop? Yes. Is it possible to do so without exploits or speedrun strategies? Almost certainly not.

(interesting thing to note: When the statue wakes up, your suit status gets reset, so that your suit is back on your ship, even if you're wearing it. This video indicates that your ship also gets reset, which is rather interesting.)
EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago You're right that I'm biased, but I also can't help but to think my autism would have looked at the words "Ash Twin Project" and decided that the best course of action would be to comb Ash Twin until there's nothing left to be found. In fact, I always found it funny how little time raocow spent on it (though I guess the time it takes for it to empty out doesn't help with that).

But on the flipside, I'm 100% sure I wouldn't have figured out most of the stuff on the Stranger for quite a while.
Fair, I guess, though as someone also on the spectrum, I was stumped on this as well in my first playthrough (and I was extremely thorough about Ash Twin). So there's no guarantees that it would be the case. I guess it's a case-by-case basis. (And for what it's worth, I figured out most of the puzzles in the Stranger, except maybe the death one. So again, case by case.)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Donut

Post by Donut »

Believe it or not, the game actually crashed for me during the gathering sequence. :C I talked to Solanum at the fire and for the first and last time the game just closed on my PS4. Thankfully the game reloaded me to the vessel outside of the Eye, and thankfully the ending is engaging enough I didn't mind doing it a second time.

Still, what a special game this was, and a great LP to match. Thanks for play.
Grounder

Re: Outer Wilds - The World • XXI: The Journey is Complete

Post by Grounder »

Oh, it's over? Okay.

There's no beating around the bush here, there is no "save the universe" ending, and I personally dislike that. You're either one of the lone survivors via Stranger uploading, eventually die after the sun explodes, break time and space to no useful end, or restart the same pointless death and rebirth cycle that ultimately only serves the Eye itself (and even that is merely to justify it existing in the first place).

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i just dislike the nested spoilers in this thread, people aren't children lmoa

if they spoil themselves it's their problem
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

After (a decreased supply of) raocow videos being the only thing not completing my isolation from the internet on my vacation, i have to log in to the talkhaus for just a moment to express my appreciation for this game and playthrough. This game made me cry and i didn't even play it. I just watched someone play it but i still feel like i went on that journey. I had the feeling there was no reversing the universe's fate and that the ending would be a let-down, but the ending couldn't've done any more spectacularly in proving me wrong. Maybe the end of the universe doesn't have to be a let-down after all.

This game joins Omori and CrossCode in the list of games i will proselytize to people like a religion.
the nested spoilers in this thread
HEDGEHOG FACT: on mobile, the nested spoilers result in messages that are one long column of single letters. That's one way to make me not read spoilers!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Now that we got to the end, I have to say it's incredible how much this game seems to mirror my worldview. Like, I'm not a religious person, it never made sense to me to think that some patriarch from 3000 years ago in the middle of the desert somehow figured out how the entire universe works for me. Because of that, I've wondered for very long just what life and death are all about, and eventually the conclusion I came to is that everything is a cycle, and its ultimate goal is to find the great purpose that rules out existence. Seeing the various generations of different lifeforms trying and trying to find it is pretty much what I think will happen in our future. Humanity is too busy killing itself and its planet because, like the elkfolk, we're pathologically afraid of the existence around us, and when we're faced with the inevitability of death, we become desperate for a purpose and attach ourselves to anything we can instead of facing our existence head on. Which is why even before I watched this LP, I always hoped that the next dominant species to come after us will be more science-driven, without this desperation that plagues us humans. They'd be like the Nomai. Though one would hope they will have a better security protocol to not wipe themselves off with ghost matter. I guess in that way, the Heartians are a perfect blend of curiosity and courage, which is why they are the ones to finally reach the Eye. Shame they didn't have more time to study it and harness it. But who knows what the future will bring, what's important is that there will always be someone new to carry on. And that's ultimately what brings me peace of mind.

I might stash this game along with Wandersong in the "games to play after I inevitably forget everything about it in the future" pile, but I dunno, I'm pretty satisfied with experiencing it through the LP (though not gonna lie, some of raocow's fumbling around in the ending made it kinda frustrating to watch, and robbed it of some of the emotional impact for me, but what can you do).
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago Oh, it's over? Okay.

There's no beating around the bush here, there is no "save the universe" ending, and I personally dislike that. You're either one of the lone survivors via Stranger uploading, eventually die after the sun explodes, break time and space to no useful end, or restart the same pointless death and rebirth cycle that ultimately only serves the Eye itself (and even that is merely to justify it existing in the first place).

That was never the point. What'd you think the point of this game was?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago
Grounder wrote: 1 year ago Oh, it's over? Okay.

That was never the point. What'd you think the point of this game was?
The point is irrelevant here. Aside from the cycle serving entirely to perpetuate itself, I'm not really criticizing it, either, just saying it isn't to my personal taste.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

The Nomai are one of the coolest fictional species. It really hits hard that they were pretty much the perfect "chosen ones" only to die tragically to a cosmic horror before they could complete their mission. They did wind up finding the Eye in the end at least.

This was a great game for an LP. Like others have said, it was really engaging to follow along even without playing it myself, and watching raocow deduce everything so well was consistently very satisfying.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I can't help but imagine what other feats the Nomai could've achieved if they hadn't died out. Would they have eventually found a way to cause the Sun to go supernova using the Sun Station, perhaps by somehow safely harnessing the power of Ghost Matter? Maybe they would've discovered how to halt the aging process after all, in order to see the Sun's natural life cycle to the end (although I'm aware that that Usenet comment was sarcastic). Fun to speculate.

What struck me about the Nomai and Owlks were the extreme lengths they went through in order to travel to the Eye of the Universe. The Owlks stripped their homeworld bare in order to build a spacecraft to get to the Eye. The Nomai devised the complex Ash Twin Project which involves sending information back in time. The Nomai were clearly driven by curiosity, because the Eye's signal was older than the age of the universe, and they wanted to know why. The motivation for the Owlks seems to be up for interpretation. What made the Eye so appealing to them? Was it also scientific curiosity, or were they simply possessed by fanaticism? Also, I wonder why the Owlks chose to remain in this solar system instead of traveling back to their homeworld if they missed it so much. Did they get lost along the way? The slide reels show that they lived relatively close by in a neighboring solar system, but to be fair, it was probably just artistic license and they actually traveled a great distance. Even though their homeworld is dead, I don't think it's unrealistic that they could've found a way to reclaim the surface, especially seeing what else they were capable of. And I don't think they chose to remain in this solar system because they wanted to keep tabs on the Eye Signal Blocker in case anyone would deactivate it. They clearly didn't expect it to be undone by someone like the Prisoner, because they had to destroy the controls in hindsight.

As for the LP, it was entertaining to see raocow do things his own way, making his own connections and hearing his personal thoughts on story events. This was especially true for the DLC, where he tackled it in a completely different manner compared to me, and even showed off some content I missed out on. A lot more interesting than just watching a mirror of my own playthrough.

There are plenty of things in the game that raocow didn't see or experience, and he's probably enjoying himself going further down the Outer Wilds rabbit hole right about now. One of the things I did that he didn't show off was physically go to the probe that was launched by the cannon orbiting Giant's Deep. I took a couple of screenshots and posted them in the spoiler below.
Unfortunately, there's nothing terribly interesting to discover there, not even an achievement for catching up with it, but I'm glad that you can actually see it up close.

Finally, I gotta say that I love how the different sentient beings in this game have different numbers of eyes. There's the four-eyed Hearthians, the tricloptic Nomai, and the binocular Owlks, in order from most to least recent. Who knows, maybe the ABCDs came to this solar system in search of the Eye 300,000 years before the Owlks did.
helucard

Post by helucard »

Gosh this was beautiful. Thank you for play, raocow.

For those who havent watched, I'll be putting my thoughts behind spoilers.
I feel like all the story pieces being put together in a definitive way in a reconstruction of the museum after the collision with Chaos Matter was a very nice in-universe summary, it's not often you see that, it's usually narration or something. It makes sense too, I mean, if the eye is preparing to make a new Big Bang with an intelligent creature's understanding at its core, then organising that knowledge is key - it's a summary for plot purposes, but a logical element of the eye's requirement for a new painter, to paraphrase the thoughts voiced in the video.
... Guess this means I can finally go looking for the whole OST! I've been dying to get my hands on the soundtrack but worried about spoilers in doing so.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Holy

Post by Holy »

I love this game! Might be my favorite.

I felt that emotion at the end. Such a powerful story honestly, about, like... acceptance of the inevitable, but in a positive way instead of a negative or apathetic way.

I had a big ol' cry thinking about this ending back around the time I first played the game.
wyldstrykr

Post by wyldstrykr »

tried doing outer wilds in SMBX

tried asking if you can auto screen shot and edit the filename and move it on a specific folder but its impossible for now?