(shouting)

Outer Wilds - The World • XXI: The Journey is Complete

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: Outer Wilds - Worlds Merge

Post by thatguyif »

So, as we're now three weeks in, going to create a document regarding The Mysteries™ and raocow's understanding of them. Heavy spoilers, DO NOT READ if you haven't finished this game.
So there are there are Four Major Mysteries, of which raocow has solved one. Solving these Mysteries are necessary to complete the game, with one optional but required for full ending.

The Major Mysteries:
  1. The Secret of the Probe Tracking Module
  2. The Vessel and its Purpose
  3. The Ash Twin Project
  4. Optional: The Quantum Moon Pilgrimage
Mystery #1 Steps:
  1. Confirm the location of the Module from the Launch Module Projector
  2. Learn how to clear the current
  3. Understand the purpose of the jellyfish
  4. Recover the coordinates

He's very close to solving this. He knows what he needs to do for step 2. Once he has that, he has all he needs to finish this.

Mystery #2 Steps:
  1. Search for Escape Pod signals in Dark Bramble
  2. Learn the secret of the Anglerfish
  3. Find Escape Pod 3 and their inhabitants
  4. Locate the Vessel
  5. Examine the broken core and the coordinate computer

He's barely started. I would say he's deduced the secret of the Anglerfish, but he hasn't said anything to that effect. He has made no effort to use his Signalscope to identify the existence of both Escape Pod 3 and the Vessel. Only when he starts using that do we see any progress.

Mystery #3 Steps:
  1. Confirm the existence of the Ash Twin Project and its purpose
  2. Identify the different warp portals on Ash Twin and their target locations
  3. Learn the full mechanics of warping on Ash Twin, including return warp, the time window to warp, and the relevance of the warp core's position
  4. Examine both portals in the two towers
  5. Examine the core of Ash Twin

Closer to solving this than Mystery 2, but not by much. He's deduced the warp time window and that Ash Twin Project is a particular place. That said, he's not been to many of the places that will give him the clue. Of course, because he understands the time window, I don't think he needs to go to the Black Hole Forge. But I haven't played in a few days, so I'll have to double check that.

Mystery #4 Steps:
  1. Learn about the Quantum Shards
  2. Optional: Find the quantum poem on Timber Hearth
  3. Learn the lesson of quantum entanglement
  4. Learn the lesson of quantum imaging
  5. Learn about the positions of the shrine, including the sixth location
  6. Reach the sixth location

Impressed that raocow never found the quantum poem on Timber Hearth (I think?). Also, amused he never looked for the Lakebed Cave, which is a treacherous journey.

Overall progress:
He has 1 of the Four Major Mysteries done, and he's on the verge of completing the second (as well as the first mandatory Mystery...Quantum Moon is completely optional). That said, the last two mysteries are hard to solve for different reasons, and raocow only has a vague idea on one of them. I suspect he will reach the core of Ash Twin before he finds the Vessel.
There are also some Minor Mysteries that raocow does not need to complete to finish the game. But they do explain certain aspects of the game, in particular its lore.

Minor Mysteries:
  • The Fate of the Nomai
  • The Fate of the Sun
  • The Fate of the Universe
Minor Mystery 1:
  1. Reach the inside of the Interloper
  2. Reach the core of the Interloper

Minor Mystery 2 (related to Major Mystery 3):
  1. Identify the different warp portals on Ash Twin and their target locations
  2. Learn the full mechanics of warping on Ash Twin, including return warp, the time window to warp, and the relevance of the warp core's position
  3. Solve the Cactus Problem at the Sun Station tower

He will probably run into this when he learns more about Ash Twin.

Minor Mystery 3:
Spend an entire cycle with Chert on Ember Twin.

I will be surprised if raocow figures this one out.

DLC Mystery:

The Stranger

Steps to the DLC Mystery:
1. Review the pictures at the Radio Tower
2. Spend time at the satellite
3. Fly to the eclipse void at 40°
4... To be finished
I will update this as raocow continues his journey. Especially as I work on the DLC.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: Outer Wilds - Nobody's Home

Post by Ivy »

You don't need to spend an entire cycle with Chert, you just need to

visit the fella within the last ~2 minutes of a loop

. It's pretty interesting and sad to watch their composure steadily wane over time...
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I finished my own playthrough of the main game over the weekend, so now I get to join the Spoiler Club. Well, almost. I just started the DLC so I'm going to tread the conversations here carefully. I spent the last few days catching up on raocow's videos (I'm watching Loop #25 now). Hopefully he hasn't started the DLC content yet? Anyway, his first few loop deaths were the funniest ever, especially

the surprise anglerfish death

Ivy wrote: 1 year ago You don't need to spend an entire cycle with Chert, you just need to

visit the fella within the last ~2 minutes of a loop

. It's pretty interesting and sad to watch their composure steadily wane over time...
This and Solanum's "may not be entirely alive" text were the final two log entries I needed for the "Archaeologist" achievement. After I completed the main game, I had no idea what more I was missing, so I had to look these up. I never thought to combine the blue tablets together on the Quantum Moon, so I missed out on some of Solanum's text. I found all the other log entries naturally, though.

Looks like raocow will not be on track to getting this achievement, unless he goes back to the Village and does the Zero-G Cave again (highly unlikely). Because he started a new expedition in video 00, he didn't keep what he did in video 0.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago
This and Solanum's "may not be entirely alive" text were the final two log entries I needed for the "Archaeologist" achievement. After I completed the main game, I had no idea what more I was missing, so I had to look these up. I never thought to combine the blue tablets together on the Quantum Moon, so I missed out on some of Solanum's text. I found all the other log entries naturally, though.

Looks like raocow will not be on track to getting this achievement, unless he goes back to the Village and does the Zero-G Cave again (highly unlikely). Because he started a new expedition in video 00, he didn't keep what he did in video 0.
yep yep yep, same; for some reason most of the NPC dialogues don't register as "there's more to explore here", yet they count towards Archaeologist. Feldspar's desire to not return to civilization was my final log entry lol. The poem in the quantum grove also was not considered unexplored despite counting towards the log. ultimately, I had to comb over each of my log nodes and compare them to the online full log at https://outerwilds.ventures/
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Re: Outer Wilds - Crashing Floods

Post by Duker »

Ivy wrote: 1 year ago
PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago

yep yep yep, same; for some reason most of the NPC dialogues don't register as "there's more to explore here", yet they count towards Archaeologist. Feldspar's desire to not return to civilization was my final log entry lol. The poem in the quantum grove also was not considered unexplored despite counting towards the log. ultimately, I had to comb over each of my log nodes and compare them to the online full log at https://outerwilds.ventures/
There is a mod that makes the Archaeologist achievement more reasonable to clean-up,

it marks all text that counts for it as important so that the ship log can hint where to look like with the regular important info

https://outerwildsmods.com/mods/archaeo ... enthelper/
fart.
helucard

Re: Outer Wilds - Crashing Floods

Post by helucard »

Figure I should spoiler this for the folks who aren't watching the DLC videos so as to avoid spoiling the stuff they're avoiding.
Installation 04 is a lot smaller than I remember...
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
kitikami

Re: Outer Wilds - Inevitable End

Post by kitikami »

DLC comment:

Did raocow actually die in the Stranger? It looked like the time loop just called him back after the Sun exploded even though the explosion didn't reach him, so the loop might be closed on both ends rather than just resetting when the character dies.

I think Daz could be the third mask since we know he paired with a statue. It could be Solanum, but meeting them could just be the Quantum Moon having weird rules of time and space, especially since they also appear to be dead in the moon's other states.

Up to now, the setting almost feels like you're in a trial run of a universe, like someone wanted to try a bunch of stuff out on a small scale without committing to creating a full-size universe. The Sun Station has the first indication of how much time has passed (still not a lot on a cosmic scale, but longer than the rest of the game made it seem), and that the universe ending all around you in real-time might not be entirely natural. It makes me wonder if the other supernovae you see in the galaxy are other Nomai clans accidentally destroying star systems trying to find the Eye of the Universe. Like this seemingly brilliant interstellar civilization is actually just a metaphorical Mr. Bean unleashed on the universe.

kitikami

Re: Outer Wilds - Fortuitous Discovery

Post by kitikami »

Interpretation from yesterday's video:

So the orbital probe canon firing in different directions at the start of each loop is meaningful, and in fact appears to be the entire purpose for the time loop being created in the first place.

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Outer Wilds - Connect the Dots

Post by KobaBeach »

me, being careful to not read 95% of spoilers or watch the lp in the rare chance i actually play this once i get a better pc (pc parts really):
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

It really doesn't require something super powerful, I was pleasantly surprised how well it ran on my budget laptop (albeit with graphical settings lowered a fair bit, but it didn't even require the absolute lowest). Really the only noticeable performance thing for me was brief stuttering when (DLC thing that raocow has already seen)

the dam in the Stranger breaks midway through the loop

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i'll give it a shot soon, could always slot it between rpgs. i'm heavily cycling between them after all

played the following in the past 4 days (not an outer wilds spoiler):
golden axe md
guilty gear xx reload
super mario bros 2 j
dragon quest 5 ds
rakugaki mario
lunar sanposuru gakuen
phantasy star 2
sword of mana
sonic chronicles (raocow's fault)
and star ocean blue sphere

haven't beat any except for getting really close in golden axe's case, ggxx i still need to practice fighting i-no
at 8-1 in smb2j though, my second run through the fds version (with an infinite lives cheat, i used the life farming trick in my first run)
will be careful about

the dam

though
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ivy

Re: Outer Wilds - Inevitable End

Post by Ivy »

kitikami wrote: 1 year ago DLC comment:

Did raocow actually die in the Stranger? It looked like the time loop just called him back after the Sun exploded even though the explosion didn't reach him, so the loop might be closed on both ends rather than just resetting when the character dies.

The ship extends its solar sails 7 minutes in (minutes later the dam breaks from that surge of power demand), escaping the star system by the time the sun kabooms. So yeah you just get the "memories whisked away back in time despite surviving past the supernova" transition.

PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 1 year ago It really doesn't require something super powerful, I was pleasantly surprised how well it ran on my budget laptop (albeit with graphical settings lowered a fair bit, but it didn't even require the absolute lowest). Really the only noticeable performance thing for me was brief stuttering when (DLC thing that raocow has already seen)

the dam in the Stranger breaks midway through the loop

The sound of the dam breaking scared the crap out of me while I was peacefully exploring the River Lowlands for the first time. It made a nice, loud noise. I thought that was one of the "frights" that the DLC warned me about after I installed it, but now I think I've reached the actual "scary" part of the game...
Following today's video, here's something I don't understand about the Eye of the Universe:
Based on Solanum's text at the Quantum Moon, the implication is that the Eye is a quantum object. If so, then how can it have a single set of coordinates? I understand that those coordinates are where the Eye was located at the time it was sensed by the probe. But how could the Nomai rely on those coordinates if the Eye constantly moves around when it's not being observed? Unless the probe took an image of the Eye and it's stored indefinitely within the Ash Twin Project "servers", locking it in place. Ostensibly, they would've needed a photo of the Eye to compare against the Quantum Moon at the Sixth Location, since the whole point was to search for it visually.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Draexzhan »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year agoFollowing today's video, here's something I don't understand about the Eye of the Universe:
Based on Solanum's text at the Quantum Moon, the implication is that the Eye is a quantum object. If so, then how can it have a single set of coordinates? I understand that those coordinates are where the Eye was located at the time it was sensed by the probe. But how could the Nomai rely on those coordinates if the Eye constantly moves around when it's not being observed? Unless the probe took an image of the Eye and it's stored indefinitely within the Ash Twin Project "servers", locking it in place. Ostensibly, they would've needed a photo of the Eye to compare against the Quantum Moon at the Sixth Location, since the whole point was to search for it visually.
My understanding is that the eye is not quantum, but rather it causes things around it to become quantum. Like the eye of some sort of freaky quantum storm, it stays put while everything around it moves wildly with uncertainty.
Signature text.
helucard

Re: Outer Wilds - Vast Passages

Post by helucard »

Oh my gosh... that crunch... followed by the squish... that was... Yikes.
Okay, so for science's sake, we can say we've experienced mortal compression via granular applied pressure. For the sake of our Hearthean friend, I sincerely request we do not put them through that again.

... Blehhehhgh...

But yeah, I am looking forward to seeing what the rest of this settlement holds.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

Mostly for my own reference, I compiled a list of Nomai who have been mentioned up to yesterday's video and their role in the story. No spoilers, just cut for length.
Annona: born in space, settled Sunless City. explored the Lakebed Caves. worked on the Quantum Moon Locator, invented the warp core. Poke's mentor

Avens: worked on the Southern Observatory, proposed the Orbital Probe Cannon. Daz's brother, Mallow's spouse

Bells: from Hanging City. keeper of the Tower of Quantum Knowledge

Bur: from Sunless City. explored the Lakebed Caves

Cassava: worked on the Eye Signal Locator and Construction Yard. Daz's spouse

Clary: from Sunless City. worked on the Black Hole Forge and White Hole Station, delivered warp core to the Ash Twin Project. explored the Interloper. Poke's sister, in relationship with Yarrow

Coleus: from Sunless City. explored the Lakebed Caves. worked on the Timber Hearth Mines, Eye Signal Locator, and Quantum Moon Locator. observed primitive Hearthians. Melorae's student, Cycad's mentor

Conoy: worked on the Southern Observatory

Cycad: worked on the Timber Hearth Mines. Coleus's student

Daz: worked on Statue Island and Construction Yard, invented memory masks. Avens's sibling, Cassava's spouse

Filix: born in space, settled Hanging City. worked on the Eye Signal Locator and Southern Observatory. school teacher. Privet, Lami, and Solanum's mentor

Idaea: worked on Sun Station. Privet's brother, unfriendly to Pye

Laevi: worked on Statue Island

Lami: from Hanging City. worked on Statue Island. Filix's student

Mallow: worked on the Southern Observatory and Orbital Probe Cannon. Avens's spouse

Melorae: born in space, settled Sunless City. explored the Lakebed Caves. Coleus's mentor, Thatch's aunt

Mitis: from Hanging City?

Oeno: worked on the Timber Hearth Mines

Phlox: from Hanging City. worked on Statue Island, invented memory statues. Plume's child

Plume: born in space, settled Hanging City. worked on the Eye Signal Locator and Southern Observatory. discovered quantum matter. Phlox's father

Poke: from Sunless City. worked on the Black Hole Forge and White Hole Station, explored the Interloper, discovered ghost matter. Clary's sister, Annona's student

Privet: worked on the Eye Signal Locator, Southern Observatory, and Orbital Probe Cannon. Filix's student, Idaea's sister

Pye: worked on the Sun Station and High Energy Lab, explored the Interloper, discovered ghost matter. friends with Ramie, unfriendly to Idaea

Ramie: worked on the Ash Twin Project and High Energy Lab. friends with Pye

Root: from Hanging City. worked on the Black Hole Forge and Ash Twin Project, explored Hollow's Lantern

Solanum: from Hanging City. stranded on the Quantum Moon. Filix's student, befriended Hearthian explorer

Spire: worked on the Southern Observatory. discovered the Interloper and how to reach Giant's Deep core

Taget: worked on Statue Island

Thatch: born in space, settled Hanging City. envoy to Nomai festival, worked on the Eye Signal Locator. Melorae's niece/nephew

Yarrow: worked on the Ash Twin Project and Statue Island, monitored Sun Station. in relationship with Clary
I change this sig every year for Advent
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

there are a whole lot more of them than I realised
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
helucard

Re: Outer Wilds - Entombed

Post by helucard »

It's a shame this little room with the black hole experiment in it is so airtight, I'd love to see if it was possible to induce a paradox somehow. But no, it doesn't look like you can get in there. Shame.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Outer Wilds - Entombed

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

helucard wrote: 1 year ago It's a shame this little room with the black hole experiment in it is so airtight, I'd love to see if it was possible to induce a paradox somehow. But no, it doesn't look like you can get in there. Shame.
raocow very visibly shot a probe into there, so there's complicated interaction here.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Outer Wilds - Chronophobia

Post by Crow »

yes. you can definitely induce a paradox in there.
the real giant's deep was the friends we made along the way
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Crow wrote: 1 year ago
yes. you can definitely induce a paradox in there.
I pray to have raocow experience the kazoo
Donut

Post by Donut »

I wonder how conductive this LP would be to a cleanup of neat but optional stuff he missed? I think he very much would want to end this game on the end, but stuff like that and Chert's interactions are both things I hope he gets to experience before this runs its course.
On a different but still spoilery note, I was contemplating something else regarding the DLC, as someone who hasn't played it:
What exactly is the best way to fit the DLC into an organic playthrough? From what I've heard, the DLC is very long - almost as long as the main game - and entirely self-contained. raocow's expectation of just slotting the DLC once it's clear he's approaching the end is a valid strategy, but I fear it may rob the endgame of its momentum. At the same time, reloading the game after you beat it feels like it would rob the endgame of its impact - part of the reason I didn't play it myself. Short of regularly alternating between the main game and The Stranger I'm not sure how you would naturally balance the two sides of the game.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Donut wrote: 1 year ago
What exactly is the best way to fit the DLC into an organic playthrough? From what I've heard, the DLC is very long - almost as long as the main game - and entirely self-contained. raocow's expectation of just slotting the DLC once it's clear he's approaching the end is a valid strategy, but I fear it may rob the endgame of its momentum. At the same time, reloading the game after you beat it feels like it would rob the endgame of its impact - part of the reason I didn't play it myself. Short of regularly alternating between the main game and The Stranger I'm not sure how you would naturally balance the two sides of the game.
The LP had momentum?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Donut wrote: 1 year ago On a different but still spoilery note, I was contemplating something else regarding the DLC, as someone who hasn't played it:
Honestly, they did an impossibly good job of designing the DLC as something that works, pacing-wise, as a coda or appendix.

Since it's mostly self-contained, it doesn't really tarnish your memory of the way the main game built to its end the first time. It has its own emotional finale, so that the last new experience is still a high note, but with enough of a tone difference that you can then re-do the end of the main game without it feeling overlong or draining, or overshadowed. And the knowledge you build while playing is just related enough to the main game, that it doesn't feel either too essential or too inessential.

Like, that sounds like breathless praise, but I think they just had to nail those specific things in order to make a DLC work for this seemingly un-DLCable game, and I'm shocked that they did.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Outer Wilds - Overzealous

Post by Crow »

touch fishy get :monstrosity:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life