(shouting)

Mega Man 2.5D - Rocking the Third Dimension... Kind of!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Mega Man 2.5D - Rocking the Third Dimension... Kind of!

Post by Kilgamayan »

Based on the total lack of context clues for a number of letters so far, I am envisioning cleanup being 45 minutes of throwing yourself into random pits until you find the ones in each stage that aren't fake, and oh boy I'm so excited for that
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Time Man's the one I started with since that stage looked relatively simple for the most part. Big difference to my eyes in this hard mode vid were the spike walls at the start of the level where the conveyor belts were. Those were not there in normal.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Bean wrote: 2 years ago Time Man's the one I started with since that stage looked relatively simple for the most part. Big difference to my eyes in this hard mode vid were the spike walls at the start of the level where the conveyor belts were. Those were not there in normal.
I started with Splash Woman because the achievement point list said her stage had one (beat it while being inked). I failed on that but DID get the "beat a boss without taking damage" one after a try of learning her pattern so 'twas all good.

By the way, if anyone is playing along and gets an achievement point and wants to know what the best first purchase is,

you want to pick Roll.

Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

First time I played this I didn't even know what a Time Man was, so I'm glad he appears because his music is beast. I know people are probably more disappointed than impressed with this game but I really appreciate the small touches that lean into the core concept: Most of my experiences with autoscroll in Mega Man games official and fanmade have been like pulling teeth, but the wider screen real estate and somewhat wider camera lens makes the space bike section in Star Man a much more natural fit. Plus its fun thematically.

Speaking of music, Time Slow slows down all the music in the stages. A given, I know, but because of the VRC6 style music the game adopts a lot of the tracks slow-ified are sometimes even better than the normal. Quick Man, is particularly groovy. He's weak to lo-fi beats you see.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

I can't remember... does Time Slow work on both Pharaoh Man and Quick Man?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

TiKi wrote: 2 years agoI can't remember... does Time Slow work on both Pharaoh Man and Quick Man?

Only Quick Man as far as I remember. Pharaoh Shot is Time Man's weakness in this.

Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

So what's up with Proto Man playing the same as Mega Man? Do you have to earn his shield, is it a different button to use it, or was it simply intended to be a cosmetic skin? Since the game has Mega Man 9 bosses and Mega Man lacks a charge shot I assumed Proto Man's mechanics would have been imported from MM9 as well. (I know Mega Man doesn't have sliding in MM9 either, but sliding is so fun that even some MM2 hacks add it so let's overlook it!)
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Don't know for sure, but it's probably for co-op purposes. That way, the two play on equal footing.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

So now that raocow has actually gotten to Splash Woman's stage I now fully remember why this stage made me dislike this game so much.

The stage is full of instant kills and the midpoint happens to send you back to the brunt of a section that is just Tons Of Waiting. It's not fun in the least and i'd rather redo Doppler 2's snail climb section from X3.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Right off the bat, I started missing the calliope sound that the original Splash Woman theme manages to mimic— but the narrower square wave used in this version (which I imagine as an electric piano) grew on me.

After hearing it several times, it occurs to me that the reverb makes the weapon-get drum beat sound really weird.

It is strange exactly how the elements used in the stages vary. On one hand, you've got such ultra-orthodoxy as the Joe mech being used in the Quick Man stage and the MM5 mech being used in Star Man, even though they're both "big"-archetype enemies that wouldn't co-exist in a regular game, then on another hand you've got stages like this where it (as cowman mentions in-video) feels like a celebration of all the water levels. (okay, maybe not all the water levels. sorry, Pirate Man) I feel that in general there have not been enough enemy types shared between levels to give them that interconnected feel that official Mega Man level sets enjoy. I'm aware that the whole point is that the bosses are from a bunch of different games, but it still feels odd.

Shout-out to water volume platforms being a cooler implementation of math platforms, as well as the style of water first appearing at 2:00, which looks like SMW water! I know it's not exactly, but it's still cute.
Bean wrote: 2 years ago Don't know for sure, but it's probably for co-op purposes. That way, the two play on equal footing.
That would do it! I completely forget there's a co-op mode after the main menu every time somehow.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It's just the four letters, and you already saw both of the others you don't have. Tomorrow's vid is a simple one!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

thank you bean!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

we can now infer that unless the letters spell a nonsense word, with there being 5 letters in total, the word it is spelling is: abed, bade, bads, bald, band, bard, baud, bawd, bead, beds, bedu, bend, bide, bidi, bids, bind, bird, bled, bode, bods, body, bold, bond, brad, bred, buds, bund, burd, dabs, darb, daub, debs, debt, dibs, dobe, doby, doob, drab, drib, drub, dubs, dumb

&: Tag yourself I'm "Brad".
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I get the feeling the makers just liked megaman 9 too much because they made the totally smart decision to include the spinning pill platforms that absolutely no one likes without the out of rush jet because harder is better

EDIT: I think the context of the platforms that they are used in is terrible. there's basically only one chance to use them properly or you instantly die and absolutely no layers of protection to stop you from redoing 5 minutes from a wrong button press. Then they also add wind on top of the fact that it's hard to position yourself on them to get enough distance to jump??

If it was maybe like a multilayered set of them and you were likely to fall down onto another one if you mess up, it would be move forgivable? It wouldnt excuse how jank they are to maneouvre around though.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Tornado Man's music continues being a bop, tho I can't really point out anything better or worse about the 2.5D mix. It's just a bop! The stage has a weird mix of MM9 and MM5 enemies, but were the MM5 ones used in Star Man as well? Not as far as I can see. Still can't shake that weird feeling of lack of cohesion between stages.

And speaking of Star Man, hoo, Star Crush! What an upgrade!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Don't worry about what you spelled for the moment! Kind of hoping the game did add in a level save between fortress stages since I played it years ago, but I doubt it. Good luck when you record that later on today!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

ra0c0w7

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I appreciate the fact that

noted Mighty the Armadillo-ass bitch, Bond Man is in

but did Splash Woman and Tornado Man's stage really need to take like 10 minutes each?????????? pls
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I, on the other hand, greatly appreciated the tremendous comedy of making Splash Woman's stage an obnoxious slog and following that up not with a "this is where you jump into the loop" easy-peasy fight but a fight that's actually somewhat difficult

Truly the lol'ing scorpion moment of the game

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Kilgamayan wrote: 2 years ago I, on the other hand, greatly appreciated the tremendous comedy of making Splash Woman's stage an obnoxious slog and following that up not with a "this is where you jump into the loop" easy-peasy fight but a fight that's actually somewhat difficult

Truly the lol'ing scorpion moment of the game
same, that's the sort of comedy I appreciate from mario hacks but god damn
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

soooo

sonic today or nah?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Presumably not in MegaMan 2.5D, unless there's a boss coming up I've never heard about

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I haven't recorded sonic yet but I think things are going to work out
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Kilgamayan wrote: 2 years ago Presumably not in MegaMan 2.5D, unless there's a boss coming up I've never heard about

well there is a fast blue boss coming up, but i wouldn't call it cool

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That stage is false advertising since it wasn't really dragon around much at all. That was my favorite of the Wily stages in the game. Pretty fun boss, too, with the whole extended chase sequence and all. You can still get one shot by falling off the ladder, but it's a lot harder than it is in MM2.