(shouting)

Pikmin - Emperor Bulblax

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Pikmin - Emperor Bulblax

Post by camwoodstock »

Last edited by camwoodstock 1 year ago, edited 28 times in total.
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Pikmin - Pellet Posy

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

this is a weird case where i think 2 should have been played before either of the other two (not counting the dumb 3ds spinoff) because it lacks the time management stuff

on an unrelated note, olimar's model looks grimy as shit here, ew
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Looking forward to raocow somehow managing to beat this game without ever (deliberately) using the C-stick or checking the computer despite the inevitable 5-12 spotzone posts and comments each video from people trying to help him learn these things
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

for one, we tricked the hecc outta the main post! hopefully we remember to update it more than we did dkc returns (shoutout to the solid 3 weeks i forgot to do that oops. :C). and yes the thread gimmick is various creacher names in this game bc we love these little guys

for two tho: welcome to Piked Min 1! we're admittedly much more knowledgable on 2 (it's only One Of Our Favorite Games Of All Time) and 3, but for pikmin 1, we'll do our best in terms of infodumping.

it's honestly fairly interesting to see raocow totally surprised at a game like this. maybe it's bc our first exposure to the pikmin series was chuggaaconroy's Pikmin 1 lp back when that was new (that should date us Tremendously, we were fans of chuggaaconroy pre-Steve), but like pikmin felt fairly Intuitive to us? like even proton jon's blind LP for therunawayguys (aka: "PLEASE JUST PLAY THE GAMECUBE VERSION IF FAT-FINGERING THE DPAD IS SUCH A BAD THING I BEG OF THEE" the LP /lh) got the gist pretty easily. and also his total amusement at Throwing the pikmin. that's just a Thing to most fans of the series, you don't really think of that much, but yeah, the idea of olimar looking at these alien species that are being incredibly nice and just being like "What If, Yeet". something we've definitely not thought of before. olimar is just a dude and we kinda love him for that.

&: At the risk of "spoiling"(? It's the opening cutscene to the game) Pikmin 2:

raocow jokes about capitalism, but.

Also tbh, "I'm a little lost, but that's okay!" is a good summary of Pikmin 1 from our experience. Especially if you aren't used to the controls just yet... ;P

your engines don't move on their own? that seems kinda baffling tbh. also Johnny is the new Steve i'm sorry I'm Sorry.
Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago Looking forward to raocow somehow managing to beat this game without ever (deliberately) using the C-stick or checking the computer despite the inevitable 5-12 spotzone posts and comments each video from people trying to help him learn these things
&: What do you mean by the computer? (Spoilers for things Mr. Rao "Bubsy 2" Cow has not encountered and since he wants to try doing this blind, Mr. Rao "Bubsy 2" Cow, don't read!!!)

If it's the Whimsical Radar on the pause menu specifically, I think the game gives a tutorial for that, ya??? ...If you somehow meant the Terminal at the Dolphin for healing you and a rudimentary radar before the radar, we genuinely can't name anyone who used that.

~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

I'm talking about the computer the game mentioned in this first episode. It's honestly been forever since I played Pikmin 1 so idk exactly what it's referring to specifically -- I'm guessing it's just a menu for reviewing tutorial messages, given the context -- but raocow did try to find it and then he just kinda gave up, so I figured there'll be some backseating about it.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
gameguy888
Man, I dunno.

Post by gameguy888 »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago I'm talking about the computer the game mentioned in this first episode. It's honestly been forever since I played Pikmin 1 so idk exactly what it's referring to specifically -- I'm guessing it's just a menu for reviewing tutorial messages, given the context -- but raocow did try to find it and then he just kinda gave up, so I figured there'll be some backseating about it.
It's been an age since I've played Pikmin 1 also, but there's an R prompt on the map screen. I don't recall exactly what's over there. Honestly, I wasn't aware you couldn't use it on Day 1 until this first video, so maybe tomorrow?

Either way, I have... a history with the Pikmin series, so I'm fairly excited for this one.
Words go here sometimes.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Post by idol »

wtf

i hope this turns into all the pikmins because i wanna see rao in

submerged castle

ill pee
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris

Post by EllenHouraisan »

This is the one with Pikachu, right?
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

As someone who only played Pikmin 2 (backstory: I wanted to buy Animal Crossing for a friend's birthday, but they didn't have it at the store and my parents, by some uncanny act of god, saw Pikmin 2 and suggested to get it instead because it looked fun, then we played it at his house later and it was so fun I got the game myself), this is fascinatingly nostalgic.

And it's from 2001! I always forget that the GameCube/GBA generation stretches back a year or two farther than my mind wants to remember. It really does look great for being such an old game; it might have sold me on the GameCube had I been old enough to be savvy on gaming back in those days. It was like nothing Nintendo had put out before*.

*"actually catabo there was a weird obscure Japan-only Famicom Disk System RTS that was made by Nintendo only in Japan and was broadcast on the Satellaview exactly between the hours of 01:00 and 04:00 on the second Tuesday of each month in Aomori prefecture which was a dead ringer for Pikmin, and really there's no excuse to have missed it since it was re-released on the N64DD" aside
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Catabo wrote: 2 years ago *"actually catabo there was a weird obscure Japan-only Famicom Disk System RTS that was made by Nintendo only in Japan and was broadcast on the Satellaview exactly between the hours of 01:00 and 04:00 on the second Tuesday of each month in Aomori prefecture which was a dead ringer for Pikmin, and really there's no excuse to have missed it since it was re-released on the N64DD" aside
do those really count if even the japanese would forget about them

mario artist basically helped birth warioware with a few minigames but it's not even that much of a back of the box feature iirc
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Oh man it’s Pikmin! This is one of my favourite game series of all time, so I’m very much looking forward to seeing this play out.

(still hoping we actually get a Pikmin 4 at some point)
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Catabo wrote: 2 years ago *"actually catabo there was a weird obscure Japan-only Famicom Disk System RTS that was made by Nintendo only in Japan and was broadcast on the Satellaview exactly between the hours of 01:00 and 04:00 on the second Tuesday of each month in Aomori prefecture which was a dead ringer for Pikmin, and really there's no excuse to have missed it since it was re-released on the N64DD" aside
i know this isn't Doshin the Giant since to our knowledge he was not on the satellaview and his re-release was for GameCube, but i am nonetheless terrified at the 0.01% chance you are talking about Doshin the Giant.
Skye

Re: Pikmin - Dwarf Bulborb

Post by Skye »

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

so yeah if you wanna save your pikmin from bul-borb corpses, call them back as soon as its health bar is depleted
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

forest of hope bayBEEEEEE!!! and raocow continues to respond to this game in ways that our "Knows About Pikmin" brain is genuinely in awe at. bramble gates feel like just absolute second nature, taking them not immediately being destroyed as them being impervious bc there's no visible health-bar feels Weird. also the whole yellow pikmin thing most people are commenting on but like, especially if your knowledge is Pikmin 3 centric (which, a lot of smash is post-brawl) where

the merged onion is a thing in that game

, also the lack of the

colored fractions to tell you which onion an item is going to

from Pikmin 2 onwards, that much at least KINDA makes sense.

&: Also raocow's excitement at the bulborb body turning into a ton of Pikmin!!! That totally just feels like second nature???

tbh i feel like even though i know what i'm doing in terms of pikmin, my day 2 on a pikmin 1 playthrough would only be... marginally better than this. this is mostly bc we are either Way Too Safe or Way Too Reckless and there's no in-between whatsoever.
Skye wrote: 2 years ago Day 2 went exactly like everyone expected.
raocow doesn't know how to break bramble gates until it's his only option, swarms things until otherwise forced, gets exactly 1 (One) yellow pikmin, and still makes it work with literally a net gain on every front. honestly yeah this tracks for "raocow's day 2 of a pikmin 1 blind lp" ;P

&: Day 3 will either be

raocow getting like 125 yellow Pikmin or causing a Pikmin Extinction within the first 2 minutes due to a wayward Dwarf Bulborb

and there's no in-between.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago this is a weird case where i think 2 should have been played before either of the other two (not counting the dumb 3ds spinoff) because it lacks the time management stuff
the time management stuff is good, even if you're new 😡

also he's been learning stuff at a fine pace, stuff like the walls having no immediate indication that they're taking damage isn't that intuitive. the next hurdle will be "get more yellows" (for which the answer is

dismiss pikmin with X to split them into color groups, then just get the yellow guy to feed his onion

)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Shard1697 wrote: 2 years ago
Grounder wrote: 2 years ago this is a weird case where i think 2 should have been played before either of the other two (not counting the dumb 3ds spinoff) because it lacks the time management stuff
the time management stuff is good, even if you're new 😡

also he's been learning stuff at a fine pace, stuff like the walls having no immediate indication that they're taking damage isn't that intuitive. the next hurdle will be "get more yellows" (for which the answer is

dismiss pikmin with X to split them into color groups, then just get the yellow guy to feed his onion

)
it stresses me out and that's what matters
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Post by EllenHouraisan »

I have literally just looked at the game's cover in the OP, and man, that gives me some real threatening vibes. That thing is about to kill everyone.
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 2 years ago I have literally just looked at the game's cover in the OP, and man, that gives me some real threatening vibes. That thing is about to kill everyone.
it's an american kirby sorta thing. for reference the japanese box-art is this:
Shard1697

Re: Pikmin - Female Sheargrub

Post by Shard1697 »

not as much as kirby though. it's an honest portrayal really, everyone loses a bunch of pikmin at some point or another
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Okay, the Japanese one looks like they are about to bust out a sick dance move, so that's fine.

(Still, something about their eyes bothers me...)
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

r'Aoughkaough i have opiniong on the way you are playing thes game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's still a treat to watch someone discover the way Pikmin works! You seem to be doing well; keep up the good work.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Oh hey, raocow's playing Pikmin! I played this when I was a kid, and I remember my very first experience with it quite well. I went to the store with my mom, and she let me get this game under the condition that I had to wait until the next day to play it. And so I went to sleep that day excited to play Pikmin, and I even had a dream about it. When I woke up and started playing it I was surprised to see that the first area looked exactly like my dream.

Anyway, it looks like raocow's having a good time despite struggling a bit with some of the mechanics. I've been playing the Pikmin games long enough that I don't remember a time where I wasn't super experienced with them, so watching raocow not do things that seem obvious to me is certainly something. And that's not in a 'yell at the screen' type of way; I'm just fascinated watching raocow slowly learn things that just seem instinctive to me.

Incidentally, I don't think I ever actually beat this game. (I believe I couldn't figure out how to get one of the ship parts and I just haven't touched the game since then). Watching raocow play this is kind of giving me the urge to play some Pikmin myself, so maybe I might actually go back and beat it.

Skye

Post by Skye »